Count to [Secret???]k

Posting games, check inside for some light-hearted fun!
-Posts in here do not increase your post count, and will not appear in searches.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Count to 40k

Post by Battery » Mon 17th Feb 2020

Saw your messages in the Discord about /b/, thanks Cab! :)

Josephine Fowl
Centaur Genius

Post by Josephine Fowl » Mon 17th Feb 2020

This gives me flashbacks to back when we hit 20k.... In April 2011 hjfdgjkdg I was only 14 back then

(It happened on page 1334, if you want to go looking for it like I did)
just your not-so-local english major

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 17th Feb 2020

Same!! I was 16, it's so weird to look back at all the people who were counting back then

Also:
BLoemetje wrote:
Sun 16th Feb 2020
Also, it might be a good idea to lock the thread and/or agree to just wait a bit. It's going really fast now (and I'm aware I'm contributing to that).
Quoting this for the new page just in case Cab and I aren't around to lock it when the time comes

artymon I\/
Centaur Genius

Post by artymon I\/ » Mon 17th Feb 2020

^Aw man!!! The last pali...for now.

Ah well...

I shall cease and desist for now.
Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Mon 17th Feb 2020

Hey everyone, how's it going :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Edit:
I managed to forget how the game is played!
Count to 80318
I love you guys more and more :* :awesome:

artymon I\/
Centaur Genius

Post by artymon I\/ » Mon 17th Feb 2020

I mean, you can pretty much make up the rules, /b/
Tis your thread.
Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Mon 17th Feb 2020

Mein vater, ich liebe dich.

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Post by Felina » Mon 17th Feb 2020

*wipes a tear*

I love you guys. These 9 years I've spent on this site were great and I'm very happy you all gathered here again for this <3

Hit it, Iris.
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

BLoemetje
Dwarf Thief

Post by BLoemetje » Mon 17th Feb 2020

I've been looking through old posts in this thread for the past hour. I was really hoping to find my own prediction for when we'd be finished, but alas, I could not find it.

However, I did find lots of old conversations and memories :D It's hard to believe it has truly been this long. And I found two other predictions:
jsreed5 wrote:
Tue 15th Sep 2015

From Wolfram Alpha:
33949 = 17 x 1997
33949 = 1000010010011101 (binary)
33949 = 849D (hexadecimal)
     Unsigned 16-bit integer: 9d84
     Unsigned 32-bit integer: 9d840000
     Signed 24-bit integer: 1d (truncated)
     IEEE single-precision number: 9d04 (truncated)
     IEEE double-precision number: 9d8400
     33949 bits ≈ 4244 bytes ≈ 4.144 kibibytes
33949 = 82² + 165² = 107²+150²
33949² = 11051² + 32100² = 20501² + 27060²
33949 = (2^6 x 23²) + 93
33949 mod 2 = 1
33949 mod 3 = 1
33949 mod 4 = 1
33949 mod 5 = 4
33949 mod 6 = 1
33949 mod 7 = 6
33949 mod 8 = 5
33949 mod 9 = 1

---

To answer the question a million posts back, I made the prediction in November 2011 that we were going to hit 40k by May of 2012. But then community participation tanked, and here we are in September of 2015, at only about 34k.

But hey, we're still here, carrying the torch. And it IS kinda cool to keep revisiting this thread as the years go by. So I'm not really complaining. :)
Felina wrote:
Thu 21st May 2015

40 000 - 33 686 = 6 314

if we say we each post once per day, that makes two posts per day, i.e. 3157 days. Or, 8,65 years.
Or, a week. And 105 months.
Neither was quite right~ But as Reed said, we're not complaining. We had a good time.

/b/, the floor is yours.

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Tue 18th Feb 2020

And so it ends, not with a bang, but with

40 thousand thoughts, or thoughtless clicks sometimes I'd admit, all in one place!

Last time I came back to hit the big 20k, was in 2011, three years after 2008 when I first came to this website. When I came here I was 17 and in the mood to troll people (as can be seen by my nickname coming from the trollest place of a troll website already). But after being around here I really fell in love with the place. I should be careful saying place - it's the people that made it (although the calming blue and the anime Artemis do tie the place together nicely!). In the years I've spent here, I've grown so much with the people that were here that in the end, I ended up being a better human being for having come here. And I'd like to believe I affected the place nicely - the :awesome: smiley is a remnant of the times I was here, and becoming a moderator and fixing a problem with spam bot attacks at one point come to mind.

But throughout those roleplays we did, the games we played, the movies we discussed, we grew together. We built on top of each other. We developed feelings, for the world, for each others' cultures, and for each other.

And after leaving this place I kept growing - I moved to a new country, I got a job, I changed careers completely, I got married recently, and I am planning children of my own in the future. But some new people were here, reading Artemis Fowl, finding friendships, learning about each other, and growing into their better selves.

And through it all, the clock kept ticking. Not the clock of time - but the clock of the Count. THE Count. The count to 40k!

A monument built through each one of us donating a second of our time to share in a monumental task. Memories, laughter, sadness, memes, and most importantly, palindromes and math gags from time to time - that's what the Count is made of. Like seeing a stone step in a church door, smooth from all the steps made on it, makes you wonder how many people went over it in order to chip away at something as sturdy as stone, so too does a thread with 2667 pages make you wonder - what had to happen for this to happen. What happened to the people who started it? Who are the people who are using it now?

But much like a church is the people in it bound together by an idea - so too are all the counters at this originally 20k project just people bound together by the love of Eoin Colfer's books. We started humbly, building to 1k, counting down to 0, and then starting the real deal, counting to 20k. 20k was arbitrarily chosen, as a number that is high, yet reachable. All our goals should be like this! 40k felt like the natural progression, the higher goal, double the amount!

Yet, for the next step, perhaps the crowning step, perhaps just another level in the foundation, a simple doubling will not do. Counting down back to 0 will not do. No, we need a symbol. A goal!

So here it is:

Why this number?

Well, if you go to Eoin Colfer's Wikipedia page, you will find that he was quite a prolific writer not only of books but also of all sorts of art. In fact, if you add all of the years of the publishing of all of his works (excluding the ones that are not published yet, just announced), you will end up with a number that is really close to doubling of 40k - but just a bit more than that!

What a goal that is, to build a tower representing what brings us together, to contribute ourselves to a tribute to change and permanence at the same time, pillared around what brings us together. Why, that's a goal that I'd be willing to strive for :)

And so it begins, not with a bang, but with

40.000! :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

And remember:
Count to 80318

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Re: Count to [Secret???]k

Post by Felina » Tue 18th Feb 2020

*wipes a tear* Beautifully said.

And with that, I'll lead the first step towards our next goal.

I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Tue 18th Feb 2020

Well done guys! That really was beautiful /b/.

/b/
LEP Commander

Post by /b/ » Tue 18th Feb 2020

Thank you very much :)

So, how is everyone doing?
Count to 80318

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 18th Feb 2020

First palindrome of the new count!
Agreed, it was really beautiful! I kept waiting for someone else to post because I had no idea how to follow something that nice :)

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Tue 18th Feb 2020

Wow /b/, nicely put hahah :awesome:
I'm doing fine, working as always, but I have groovy tunes and you guys so it's all good :D
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D And a facebook page for those articles!