Artemis Fowl Movie - Sad News | Status: Delayed

Which actors would you like to cast? What do you want to see? What would you do if you were the director?
Amber Root
Council Member

Artemis Fowl Movie - Sad News | Status: Delayed

Post by Amber Root » Thu 21st Dec 2017

As of December 20, 2017 the Artemis Fowl Movie Team has announced the first set of actors/actresses. So far those participating and working in the movie are headlined as:

3/13/18

1) They hired a 13 year old girl to play Holly. Ehem (Whitewashed)
2) Changed the gender of Julius Root, taking away the basis of Holly being the first female LEPrecon.
3) Chose an actor of non Eurasian decent to play Butler. Thus, perhaps changing Juliet as well. Making the audience see the regularly used term "manservant" closer to the terms of slavery. Since the Butler family has been in affiliation with the Fowls since older times. Some users on Tumblr within the Fowldom have seen this as a form of Racism among the Disney casting crew.

So far, they got Artemis right. (Thumbs up)
Mein vater, ich liebe dich.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Re: Artemis Fowl Movie Cast Announced

Post by p5ychic » Fri 22nd Dec 2017

I'm pleased with the casting of Artemis and that's about where my excitement stops. Holly and Root are both whitewashed, Holly is a child, and the optics of having Butler be the only black character are absolutely not great. It upsets me that I've been waiting for this movie for the majority of my life at this point and now I don't intend to see it in theaters at all.

I've also been in contact with some of the Old Guard from this site recently, I imagine they'll be along sometime soon to comment as well! My hope is that the one good thing that'll come from this movie is the revival of this forum as an active community!!

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Fri 22nd Dec 2017

p5ychic wrote:...Holly and Root are both whitewashed....

I've also been in contact with some of the Old Guard from this site recently, I imagine they'll be along sometime soon to comment as well! My hope is that the one good thing that'll come from this movie is the revival of this forum as an active community!!
I completely agree! I've seen many others post on this subject on other sites. A revival is a positive to look forward to. :awesome:

greendiamond16
Goblin

Post by greendiamond16 » Sat 23rd Dec 2017

From the start, after hearing that Disney was serious about starting an Artemis Fowl movie I did not have incredibly high hopes that the movie would be anything like the books. Disney has been breaching new territory recently but Artemis Fowl is well outside the usual for them. It seems clear now with this cast they have no intention of covering most of the side events in book one.

Holly cant be the first female fairy on the force, cutting out a lot of back story. At this point she will need a new one or will they cut her back story entirely?

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sat 23rd Dec 2017

I just honestly have to wonder what possessed them to do this, I mean, whitewashing has been observably a blow to box office and critic numbers, as well as audience enjoyment. I mean, if it didn't work for Star Trek Into Darkness, Ghost In The Shell, Netflix' Death Note, Dragonball Z, and The Last Airbender, what exactly makes them think it's going to work here?

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Sat 23rd Dec 2017

p5ychic wrote:I just honestly have to wonder what possessed them to do this, I mean, whitewashing has been observably a blow to box office and critic numbers, as well as audience enjoyment. I mean, if it didn't work for Star Trek Into Darkness, Ghost In The Shell, Netflix' Death Note, Dragonball Z, and The Last Airbender, what exactly makes them think it's going to work here?
Exactly! I want to know the reasoning behind it too, others as well. Some people have come forward to me and want a petition basically showing that we (as a fandom) want answers. Was working on it before coming here ha.

Also, someone made a point that if they do make Holly younger, they might just throw her in as Root's disobedient daughter. Or change her purpose entirely.

lackingimagination
Gnome

Post by lackingimagination » Sun 31st Dec 2017

I haven't posted here in years - came back just because of this announcement! It's pretty exciting to watch something I was a fan of as a kid FINALLY become a movie.

I can't bring myself to be excited about Artemis Fowl's actor, because I can't find any pictures or footage of him. When I see what kind of job he does in the movie, then I guess I'll be able to judge him.

I'm okay with Butler's casting, but everyone else? Josh Gad has annoyed me in everything he's been in (not that Mulch is any different, but still). Holly is a 13-year-old? In what universe? And Root gender-flipped into a woman? That's just an odd choice, especially when so much of the story hinges on the dynamics of Holly being the first female police officer. I agree with much of what everyone else has said above. These casting choices are weird and wrong.

I notice there's no Juliet or Foaly. Haven't been cast yet, or just omitted entirely?

Amber Root
Council Member

Re: Artemis Fowl Movie Cast Announced | Status: Filming

Post by Amber Root » Tue 13th Mar 2018

UPDATE:

Filming has began with the movie, so now the current status of production has changed.
More characters have been announced as well!

I also have heard a rumor that Juliet Butler will no longer be Butler's little sister. Instead she will be played as his niece... I don't know how or why the plot had to be changed, but the Tumblr community believes that they might be going for a Arty/Holly/Juliet love triangle. When you look up Tamara Smart she seems to be around the same age as Ferdia Shaw (Artemis) and Lara McDonnell (Holly). :(

Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Movie Cast Announced | Status: Filming

Post by Battery » Wed 28th Nov 2018

There's a lot of new information floating around out there about the movie at this point, including most of the cast with specifically listed roles

There's also this interview with the director, which I frowned my way through most of. Most of the section about Holly in particular is an, uh, interesting take. (Also, as a bonus, enjoy several different spellings of Eoin Colfer!)
ImageImageImage

Amber Root
Council Member

Re: Artemis Fowl Movie - Trailer 1 Released | Status: Filmed/Press

Post by Amber Root » Fri 30th Nov 2018

I know it's a YouTube video but hey - it's important and relevant to this thread.

The Official Artemis Fowl Trailer was released!!

Amanojaku
Goblin

Post by Amanojaku » Wed 13th Feb 2019

When I first heard AF was finally getting its movie I was overjoyed. Then I watched the trailer and I was appalled. Then I read that interview somebody else linked in this thread and I lost what little hope I had of this movie even just being decent. The casting is so messed up. The plot and story are just so messed up. I don't feel like I can even call it "Artemis Fowl" anymore. It's like they kept the name but got rid of the story and replaced it with something else entirely.
I'm certainly not going to theaters to watch it.
I vote we all start a gofundme or indiegogo or something and make our own movie then see which one people like better like a group did with Star Wars.

Amber Root
Council Member

Re: Artemis Fowl Movie - Sad News | Status: Delayed

Post by Amber Root » Wed 8th May 2019

So, sadly this movie is being delayed until next year - May 19, 2020. Hopefully their fixing issues. Also, did you guys know its going to be three hours long?!

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Thu 9th May 2019

I heard it was delayed but I didn't know it'd be three hours long. I just hope it's a good sign and they really are fixing things
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Re: Artemis Fowl Movie - Sad News | Status: Delayed

Post by artymon I\/ » Tue 4th Jun 2019

Three hours long? Who do they think they are, the Avengers? :lol:

Well, can't say much more until it gets closer to the new date. Just keep the torch lit. :twisted:
Roxy: Now what did we say about playing with fire?
Use plenty of gasoline
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch