Rereading AF

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Rereading AF

Post by FowlStar » Fri 7th Dec 2018

So I've been rereading AF and I just finished the first book. I've already bought a copy of the Arctic Circle and i'm really excited to be starting that. it reminds me of so many good times with you all, sitting in the library thumbing through these pages, talking with everyone. The friends i made here.

i also look back on this reread with a bit of sadness because i understand why the story is being told in the first place. what happened to arty in the later books. it's a lot and i didn't expect to still have so much emotion for this series at all. but i'm glad for it, it makes me feel like i still have a home here.

i still love mulch diggums and root so much, and the sprites are so fun to laugh at. with holly short.... let's just say i get why i was so gay for her when i was 14. she's amazing. and artemis is still as brilliant and biting as ever. i'm looking forward to the eternity code a lot a lot a lot. dkwjaoihdhduhklm you guys i'm so excited for the movie, even if the casting is a disaster. but off topic, i digress.

i love you all. if anyone rereads the books please put your impressions here.
i write because you exist.

lackingimagination
Gnome

Re: Rereading AF

Post by lackingimagination » Sat 8th Dec 2018

Hmm I'm in the same boat kinda - In recent months I've been rereading the books in preparation for the movie! Well actually "rereading the books" is a stretch, because I barely got through the first book and then didn't continue. Not because they're bad or anything, I just sadly don't really have the attention span for books anymore. In the next year, hopefully I'll try a little harder and reread the whole series.

I haven't read them in years and it's honestly a shock exactly HOW awesome and inventive they are. For the first book, anyway. There are things I don't like, of course, but altogether I really enjoyed it, it's been too long. You can compare Artemis Fowl to Harry Potter or Die Hard or what-the-hell-ever, but in the end, there's really nothing else like it.

artymon I\/
Dwarf Thief

Re: Rereading AF

Post by artymon I\/ » Wed 26th Dec 2018

Weird, I find myself re-reading them again as well; happened to be in the bookstore with time to kill and thumbed through the first book....then ended up re-reading it and the second one. Most likely going to work my way back through the rest of the series...at least until the sixth.

I have mixed feelings over 7 and 8...though Orion might prove still charming enough to entice a read from me.

*cough*thenagainistillamnotoverrootorvinyayadying*cough*

My impressions are that the stories still hold up pretty well. The tongue in cheek demeanor of the book's voice compelled me to carry on for a smart payoff.

I'm sure if I were a smarter person, I'd discover some political nugget to rant about, but really the only overarching theme of the series is environmentalism; from which I can trickle out further into coming to terms with our darker natures and overcoming them to surpass into stronger versions of ourselves.

I'm not sure how I feel about the movie; to be frank or bob or lindsey, probably about half the reason for the re-read is in anticipation of the movies, to see how badly it's bungled. (yes, I'm being pessimistic, come August I could be eating crow)

I'm kind of scared of that - the movie being bad. Of it being bad enough to shatter my images of the books.

>>
<<

But yeah, I greatly enjoyed reading through the first one enough to pursue the second...which I chewed through a lot quicker.

EDIT:/

Actually, I do have one thing that made me chuckle a little, when Foaly is going over the Fowl history, he says there's a file that's four gigabytes in size. He goes on to say that in paper terms that equals half a library....which is pretty impressive. If it were on paper. What I'm getting at is, present day me thought the file size sounded pretty light; what there's only paper files/information kept? Not photos and videos or sound clips? That very well could be, maybe the digital media is stored elsewhere.
Image Image
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch