Internet Explorer Users: Urgent Security Issue

Updates, new rules and anything else you need to know about the forum.
TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Re: Internet Explorer Users: Urgent Security Issue

Post by TomRK1089 » Wed 16th Apr 2008

A quick Google reveals that Coppermine utilises MySQL, so it's not surprising someone could find a way to upload malicious code, either through SQL injection or something similar. Darvit, you say a patch was released already for it?

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Wed 16th Apr 2008

TomRK1089 wrote:A quick Google reveals that Coppermine utilises MySQL, so it's not surprising someone could find a way to upload malicious code, either through SQL injection or something similar. Darvit, you say a patch was released already for it?

Yes, the Coppermine exploit is a MySQL correction: javascript injection. The fanart gallery was on the latest stable version [1.4.16] during the attack, but apparently, a bunch of hackers [speculators say the Russian RDN spammers] have found a loophole. They've injected iframes on every single PHP and HTML file, starting from the FanArt gallery. The developers have released a quick patch [this is, after all, a 0 day exploit], 1.4.17 and another one right after that, 1.4.18.

MichaelM has already started the initial clean-up by upgrading the Gallery to version 1.4.18. It still looks messed up, however. I checked the Gallery last night and I saw that it has been hit by a hacker yet again. Right now, the Gallery isn't safe. Not yet.

The Fanfiction Archive hopefully, wasn't compromised.

That's all for the update. Hang on tight, guys. We're almost there.
Thanks for your patience! :P
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

shanette
Goblin

Post by shanette » Thu 17th Apr 2008

So... all we have to do is wait for the different sites to be cleared? Then we can access them?

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 17th Apr 2008

shanette wrote:So... all we have to do is wait for the different sites to be cleared? Then we can access them?

Yes. But don't believe that the Gallery or the FanFiction Archive is safe until Darvit or MichaelM says they are, okay?
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Artemis F.
Gnome

Post by Artemis F. » Fri 18th Apr 2008

*nervous laugh* My sister would go nuts if we lost the computer. And I believe everyone else would react the same. So, we should listen to MichalM and darvit until everything is back to normal. *looks over at the others, a serious expression on my face* Am I right?
ImageClick here to feed me a Rare Candy!

Love
Love can be given up easily.
For some, they don't deserve such trust.
Things such as love and hate can change in an instant.
So why trust anyone with such a thing?
Answer that in your own words.
It is for you to decide.

nindra
Dwarf Thief

Post by nindra » Fri 18th Apr 2008

HollyShort9 wrote:Trojans have access to every file in your computer if you get one, they can destroy the files you have, everything in it, and your hardrive. (For those who don't know, hardrives are what your computer runs on.)

Basically, trojans can destroy your entire computer.

No, that's just a regular virus. Not very common nowadays since dead computers doesn't make money. Trojans lets others to access your computer, log your keystrokes (keyloggers, whee... Personally I fear them the most) to get your credit card-number/passwords/etc. I haven't looked what kind of malware the injected code wants to put to your computer, but I'm quite sure it's a yet another zombifier that puts your computer to a "botnet" that is used to spam/DDoS-attacks (spam is obvious. DDoSing is good way to blackmail web-only-companies to pay you some money...) etc., it doesn't make directly harm to you, except that it makes your computer slower.

Also, Firefox alone doesn't mean perfect security. I recommend installing NoScript...
"My bugs don't have bugs" --Foaly
"Life! Don't talk to me about life." --Marvin, HGTG
PHP-ASCII-Faery | AF Wiki | Haven City Stories - AF-MMORPG!

Silvermist
Dwarf Thief

Post by Silvermist » Mon 21st Apr 2008

wow! i thought this was a really secure site. amazing how a person would find a loop hole. what moron would hack in an innocent site! :guh: my computer crashed once and i dont want that to happen again. if it those my mom would kill me and i would kill my computer.(by that time i have already killed it :tantrum: ) Waa!! no more fan fiction!!!
Joshua 1:9
Hello people of the internet! You may call me Baylee if you wish, I'm a small town girl living in a lonely world, I do not take trains anywhere since new orleans terrain does not allow that (it will get swallowed up by the marsh land or get flooded, like my car did D:<

Meet my Husband <3
Ok I think I'm done here...

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Mon 21st Apr 2008

Silvermist wrote:wow! i thought this was a really secure site. amazing how a person would find a loop hole. what moron would hack in an innocent site! :guh:

For the record, FanGathering was not the specific target. Several hundred websites have been hacked because of a vulnerability in the fan art gallery's software. It just so happened the FG was using that software.

Anyway, watch out for these trojans:

@nindra: I PM'd you the source code of the malicious javascript. MMmn and I have been looking at it the other day and it is the most obfuscating piece of java I have ever laid my eyes on. :shock:
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Jehuty
LEP Recruit

Post by Jehuty » Tue 6th May 2008

Lol, many forums were attacked with this. Alot of us saw the list :o IPB wasnt affected however, thats a hint Michael.

MichaelM is my foe, dont listen to him he kills young children.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sat 10th May 2008

phpBB3 [this forum] wasn't affected either. ;)

Well, that could be due to the fact that this is on a different subdomain [forum.fangathering.com instead of artemisfowl.fangathering.com] Plus some directories under the artemisfowl subdomain were writeable.

Some people say that this could be a flaw in PHP itself since Coppermine wasn't the infection's sole "portal of entry".

Anyway, this has been thankfully cleaned up now, thanks to an anonymous "Half-Russian" hacker. :P More on that here, if you haven't read it yet.

PS: This is what the malicious script does...