Who Should Be New Lep Commander?

What do you think will happen in the next installment of the Fowl series?
carino
Council Member

Re: Who Should Be New Lep Commander?

Post by carino » Sun 2nd Dec 2007

Well, there were, three years ago. Who knows what the council's like now?
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Meova » Sun 2nd Dec 2007

I don't bet they are all goo-ey and softened up and stuff.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Sun 2nd Dec 2007

No, but they could be slightly better. You never know.
I mean, why else would Trubs have been such a main supporting character? (I know that sounds oxymoronic, but it's only slightly moronic when you really think about it.)

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.

Pampered.Pixie
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Pampered.Pixie » Mon 17th Dec 2007

I think Trouble will be commander, he just seems like the best option out of the characters we know. I suppose a NC would also work. Go Trouble! :rockon:

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Tue 18th Dec 2007

I think it would be difficult to work an NC into the story to be commander. That's a high position. I think we should have someone we really already know and trust as commander.

Pampered.Pixie
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Pampered.Pixie » Wed 19th Dec 2007

That makes sense. It would be difficult to have a NC this far in the series, especially as a commander.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 20th Dec 2007

Why would it be so difficult to have an NC? Sool was one, and he became Commander. Doodah, No1 and Minerva were all new, and they fit in prefectly well, for the most part. I think an NC in book 6 would work at least as well, and it's the only sensible option.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 20th Dec 2007

Why isn't Trouble a sensible option?

I think an NC would be okay as a minor character... but there's been an explosion of major NCs in the last book.
I want to wait and see how they develop before adding a new character, especially in such an important position. The commander is vital in Holly's development. She loved Root like a father and hated Sool. The commander is always significant.
He could pull an NC off... but I don't think it would be as good.
Trouble she respects already at least.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 20th Dec 2007

First of all, Trouble is too young. He seems to have become a major fairly early, and just recently, too. A year is nothing for a fairy. There needs to be much more time between promotions for him to be promoted again. It took four hundred years for Root to go from training to commander, and he was one of the best. I don't think Trouble's much older than Holly, and she's twenty years short of 100.

I also can't see the other majors in the LEP passed over for a promotion to commander for Trouble, when Trouble just got promoted to major.

I also don't think Trouble has what it takes, characterwise, to be commander. He's similar to Holly in that he doesn't like orders, he likes to work hands-on, and he's too impulsive.

Trouble becoming commander would be convenient, because the readers know and like him, but it wouldn't be realistic.

I think that an NC can be good, depending on what he/she is like. If Colfer can pull it off, it may mean great plot/character development, especially where Holly is concerned. Though it looks like she'll have enough problems...

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Thu 20th Dec 2007

MMK wrote:Why would it be so difficult to have an NC? Sool was one, and he became Commander. Doodah, No1 and Minerva were all new, and they fit in prefectly well, for the most part. I think an NC in book 6 would work at least as well, and it's the only sensible option.

Yes, well, we didn't have to deal with Sool for long. Look how close Holly was to Commander Root; it would be odd if there was someone that we hadn't heard of before. Conceivably, it could work. I just don't think it would be as good. Neither Doodah nor Minerva were that major of characters, and while I have a feeling we'll be seeing Minerva again, (and I believe that Colfer has said we'll be seeing No.1 again), we might sort of have an NC overload. You can only meet so many new people at once. Besides, why bring in someone else when you have someone perfectly suited for the job already?
Also, in reply to your last post, hasn't Trouble been a major for 3 or 4 years now?

Meova

Post by Meova » Thu 20th Dec 2007

And difficult times call for weird measures. It could be that Trouble is the best candidate they have. I don't see Grub becoming commander ;-)
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 20th Dec 2007

Actually, now that you reasoned it out MMK, I agree with you.
That puts it in a difficult situation. If the commander is an NC it's going to be hard to perfect Holly's relationship with him/her.
I wish Vinyaya could become commander... but I don't think that's going to happen.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Thu 20th Dec 2007

I still think trouble should be commander, he is someone that is respected and probably well experienced. He is already a major and there are only 2 or 3 many majors, it wouldn't make sense if they brought in someone from a lower rank either.

MMK wrote:First of all, Trouble is too young. He seems to have become a major fairly early, and just recently, too. A year is nothing for a fairy. There needs to be much more time between promotions for him to be promoted again. It took four hundred years for Root to go from training to commander, and he was one of the best. I don't think Trouble's much older than Holly, and she's twenty years short of 100.

It only took him 2-3 years to go from captian to major and that is how long holly and others have been away, so I think he could manage it especially if there is no-one as high up as him.
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Fri 21st Dec 2007

Actually, now that you reasoned it out MMK, I agree with you.
That puts it in a difficult situation. If the commander is an NC it's going to be hard to perfect Holly's relationship with him/her.

Yay, I convinced somebody. :) I didn't realize that I'd never fully explained my reasoning before.

Yeah, it'll be weird to establish Holly's relationship with yet another new commander... it can't be somebody like Sool again (it'd be too much, I think), so there'll have to be some sort of relationship between them. Or maybe it can be somebody Holly knows, but not somebody we know?
I wish Vinyaya could become commander... but I don't think that's going to
happen.

I actually think Vinyaya's the most likely of the existing characters. Colfer's said that Section 8 sort of merges with the rest of the LEP, and if that's true, Vinyaya could easily command both.
It only took him 2-3 years to go from captian to major and that is how long holly and others have been away, so I think he could manage it especially if there is no-one as high up as him.

Where does it say that it's only been 2-3 years? I always understood him and Holly to have been Captains long before the start of Book 1.
Also, in reply to your last post, hasn't Trouble been a major for 3 or 4 years now?

It doesn't make a difference to my argument, but you're right. It's been four years- I forgot about the time thing.

jadeprincess
Troll

Post by jadeprincess » Fri 21st Dec 2007

I VOTE VINYAYAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jump:
Hola, ma petit kumquat!- Me
Holly/Trouble
yayayayayayay!
:D