Collapsible Refrigerators and How to Subdue Them

All forms of art in here, from Photoshop to pencil and paper.
FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Collapsible Refrigerators and How to Subdue Them

Post by FowlStar » Mon 7th May 2012

Post questions here, and other FG'ers will answer them! :D
  • Please check this thread, and the list of answered questions, to make sure the question you're asking hasn't already been answered.
Last edited by FowlStar on Thu 21st Jun 2012, edited 4 times in total.
i write because you exist.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Re: Collapsible Refrigerators and How to Subdue Them

Post by FowlStar » Mon 7th May 2012

---
Last edited by FowlStar on Thu 21st Jun 2012, edited 1 time in total.
i write because you exist.

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Thu 10th May 2012

Can someone please explain how to make a background in GIMP without finding a pre-made one? It's been annoying me lately, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Thu 24th May 2012

I agree with the above question. Recently I've really been curious as to how all those neat, abstract backgrounds are made. I've tried my hand at it a little bit, but with no real success. :3 Tips?

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Mon 11th Jun 2012

Well, for a very basic background you can use a gradient. Its one of the fill tool options right next to the fill bucket. On Photoshop its actually hidden underneath the fill bucket as an option. Both use the background and foreground colour, so choose wisely or use a preset!

Then I advise having some fun with the filters. Amongst them you'll find all sorts, from blurrs, shadows, lens flares, scripts to create the effect of weaving, rough partchment... the best way to learn is not to be afraid to try them out.

But always start with a basis becuase most of the filters need something to work from. There's no one way to make a neat background, but many! Hence why I'll just point you the right way :D
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Tue 12th Jun 2012

FowlStar wrote: Guidelines:
  • To make it easier for all future viewers to peruse this thread, all answers will be posted in the next post.

Hasn't K12 broke this rule.. (I may of as well.. {Now, obviously, well Alanna posted the answer :unsure:..})
I have a question.
If you have a say a background, and then have a anime boy/girl how would you get the anime boy/girl to litterlally fit in the background? I've tried flattening the image, it just looks the same with all of the layer put into the background..
Any tips?

BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius

Post by BoboParadizo » Wed 13th Jun 2012

You mean, like, cutting out the anime girl/boy?

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Wed 13th Jun 2012

I don't know what you mean by cutting out the anime girl/boy..
I mean (another confusing lecture upcoming): To literally get the anime boy/girl to look like it's in the background.. and so it's not like a second layer.. Do you'se understand? :-|

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Wed 13th Jun 2012

^Do you mean the steps of merging. Your question is a little confusing and hard to understand. But I think, your thinking about merging the two layers together to make one and how to do it. Is that correct?
Troubled times are at an end and they're waiting to hear our song.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Wed 13th Jun 2012

Yes, that is what I mean. Sorry for not explaining it well.
So, how do you do it? :D

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Wed 13th Jun 2012

Well, to start it off. There are different kinds of merging.

Sometimes the the image, lets say, person, already has a background. To place them into another background. You'll have to cut them out of the image or look for their duplicate render before hand. I would recommend finding an image rendering site that is similar to a forum or a picture hosting website.

After you get the person cut out or find the render. Set up the background anyway/size/format/style you want. Followed by opening a new layer.

On GIMP to open a new layer you go to:
File ➜ Open as Layer(Ctrl+Alt+O for the keyboard command) ➜ Then your files, select the picture you want.

If it is a render, just place it where you want. Do any filters that you want to use on it. Fix it up to the way you like it. The final step to merge it is go to your:
Layers Tool Box ➜ Right Click and select Merge Down.

Ta-Dah! Your person is in the background!
Troubled times are at an end and they're waiting to hear our song.

Alanna
Lady Random

Post by Alanna » Thu 14th Jun 2012

Well, you CAN render (cut an item out) yourself, but its just very tricky to master. The tool you are looking for is called the Paths Tool in GIMP. How you use it is click around the image. Each click makes another anchour, which is to say a point that your selection follows.

Holding down the click and dragging means you'll draw it instead. Connect it around the picture you are rendering. It takes a LOT of practice to get it right, but do zoom in.

Then when it connects around to the starting point it'll turn into the dashed lines you'll have seen when selecting stuff before. Just cut that (Ctrl + C or right click, copy), delete the undeded background, paste. Now its a new tempoary layer.

You can just merge it down onto the layer underneath at this point, but its a better idea to go up to Layers, Create New Layer. A new layer will be added, shaping itself to the render. Now you can move it around, rezise and play with the render without effecting everything else!

There is really not many times when you really do need to merge items togeather, since this is done when you save the file as an image. Just keep that in mind :D

Don't forget, if you know the name of what you are trying to do, there is a lot of guides out there you can google which will have images to follow :P
Officially retired. Sorry, but you won't find Alanna around anywhere now. I'm but a ghost.

BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius

Post by BoboParadizo » Thu 14th Jun 2012

Adding on to what Alanna said...

I usually find it easier to just zoom in a lot and click around the item you're cutting out (without holding down the click) since my mouse is so spazzy. Like reverse connect the dots. :D

I think you have to hold down the ctrl key when you connect to your last anchour. And to get the selection, click "Selection to Path" on the Paths menu.

Usually, I do Select > Invert, and then press delete to get rid of the background. :3

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Sat 14th Jul 2012

^^^Thank you~ I managed to do it the way Ala suggested (rendering), it was heck hard though. :3
I have yet another question: XD
Basically, when you use 'drop shadow' (on GIMP) it works fine and everything. But, does anyone know how to like set the shadow drop's (the thing behind the picture, if ya know what I'm talking about [you prob'ly don't]) background colour, behind the image? It's been getting at me for ages now.
Thank you~ :D

BLoemetje
LEP Recruit

Post by BLoemetje » Sat 14th Jul 2012

^ I'm no expert with Gimp, because I use Photoshop Elements, but can't you adjust the colour when you use the filter? Or do you mean something else?