All About Images

All forms of art in here, from Photoshop to pencil and paper.
darvit
Council Member

All About Images

Post by darvit » Mon 19th Mar 2007

Note: If you didn't see this thread, you're in luck.

How to Scan an Image

I'm not going to go through all the steps for scanning an image because that would mean that I have to list down the procedure for several popular scanners and scanning programs.

For more scanning tips, do a Google search, or visit this website: http://www.scantips.com/faq.html

Adding Images

Taken from MichaelM's How-to Guide as found on this thread.

1 - If the image is on your computer, load http://www.imageshack.us, click the "Browse" button, and find the file on your computer, then click ok. Now click "Host it!"

2 - You will now see a screen with some text on it, in boxes. Next to one of the boxes it will say "Direct Link to Image" - Copy all of the text in that box.

3 - Go to wherever you want to put your image (Eg. The signature section in your profile, or a normal "Add Reply" screen), and type:

Code: Select all

[img]URL HERE[/img]

Eg.

Code: Select all

[img]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5687/duckgy3.jpg[/img]

Would give:

Note: Imageshack will give you a number of different codes now, but the one you want is one of the two which says either "Hotlink for forums (1)," or "Hotlinks for forums (2)," next to it. On most forums, including the FanGathering forums, the first one is the one you want.

If your image is HUGE, you might just want to copy the "Thumbnail for Forums (1)" code because gigantic images that stretch pages horizontally is bad netiquette [e.g. some people are still on dial-up] and it breaks the forum's layout.
;)

Other useful image hosting websites aside from Imageshack are:

http://photobucket.com/
http://tinypic.com/
http://www.imagehosting.us/
http://xs.to

How to Capture Images From Your Screen [a.k.a. Making a Screenshot]

1 - Choose the window/area you want to capture.

2 - Take a screenshot.
  • Windows Users: Look for the "Print Screen" button, and press it. It's usually found on the upper-right area of your keyboard, and it's usually labeled as "Print Scrn". [Note: Turn off your printer, unless you want it to actually and literally print off your screen! :P Or, instead of turning off your printer, hit Alt+PrntScrn. Don't worry, it would seem like nothing has happened, but actually, your computer stored your screenshot on the Clipboard. If this isn't happening, you may need to press the 'Fn' button as well (for laptop users).
  • Mac OS X Users: There are several ways to do this. Here are instructions taken from the Grab application.

To take a picture of the whole screen: ⌘-Shift-3

To take a picture of part of the screen: ⌘-Shift-4, then drag to select the area you want in the picture. [To cancel, press Escape.]

To take a picture of a window, a menu, the menu bar, or the Dock: Press ⌘-Shift-4, then press the Space bar. Move the pointer over the area you want so that it's highlighted, then click. To drag to select the area instead, press the Space bar again. To cancel, press Escape.

Screen shots are saved as files on the desktop. If you want to put the screen shot in the Clipboard, rather than create a file, hold down the Control key when you press the other keys. You can then paste the picture into a document.

You can also take pictures of the screen using the Grab application (in the Utilities folder).

3 - Open an image editing program. The typical ones would be Microsoft Paint, Adobe Photoshop, or Paint Shop Pro.

4 - Paste the captured image into the empty canvas by pressing Ctrl+V [or by going to the menu and looking for Edit>>Paste].

5 - Save your image either as a JPG/JPEG, GIF, or PNG file.

6 - Refer to Adding Images when you wish to post your screenshot.

Hope that was helpful! :)

Mods, feel free to add/edit this as you wish.

/EDIT#1: Added printing problem that was pointed out by BlackOpal.
/EDIT#2: Updated links and cleaned up the messed up HTML.
/EDIT#3: Cleaned up messed up bbCode and HTML.
/EDIT#4: Added Centaurboi2's Alt+PrntScrn tip. ;)
/EDIT#5: Edited the Mac OS X screenshot instructions
/EDIT#6: Added extra comment about the Fn key for laptop uses.
Last edited by Alanna on Mon 19th Dec 2011, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: Added an extra comment about Fn + Pnt Scrn for laptop users.
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Mon 19th Mar 2007

Nice thread darvit - I think this will be very useful! :D

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Mon 19th Mar 2007

Fantastic- I've always wanted to know how to make a screenshot! Thanks, Darvit! :)

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Mon 19th Mar 2007

Me too, except, instead of making a screenshot, mine just printed. XD, oh well.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Tue 20th Mar 2007

BlackOpal wrote: Me too, except, instead of making a screenshot, mine just printed. XD, oh well.

Oops, I forgot to note that. XD

Thanks for telling me about it! ;) *<span style='color:red'>darvit</span> edits the first post.

And thanks, guys. :) Feel free to add more if you think of more image tips. :P
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Fri 23rd Mar 2007

Lmao - It actually printed?? :lol:

That has never happened to me, but it does make the name make ALOT more sense now... XD

Athena
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Athena » Sat 24th Mar 2007

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I've been needing to learn how to do that for a century!!! (the screen shot)
Sherlock Holmes is mine MINE! The computer or sewing machine or anybody who tries to take him will pay. Nah! Don't even think about it. I'm watching you, I'm watching you *beady eyes*

"Eddie Burger's Bum, Yum yum yum!"

~Lillie Gmail conversation last monday.

(I LOVE YOU LILLIEDOODLES!)

Yes I have peach children, you got a problem with that huh? They are about 2 weeks old now and they came from the grocery store, I even ate the peach part myself! They have names also, Lillie, Jayd, and Greggie now bug off! They are my babies and I love them all (but Greggie gets watered first ;) )

Centaurboi2
Gnome

Re: All About Images

Post by Centaurboi2 » Tue 3rd Jul 2007

Instead of turning off your printer you can hold alt+ prt scr in windows.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Thu 5th Jul 2007

Centaurboi2 wrote:Instead of turning off your printer you can hold alt+ prt scr in windows.

Thanks, Centaurboi. ^_^ I've added that tip now. :P

Centaurboi2
Gnome

Post by Centaurboi2 » Thu 5th Jul 2007

No Problem I have had bad experience with that... once when I used to play runescape I tried to take a screenshot and I printed out 2 sheets of pure grayness.

EarthGoddess
LEP Recruit

Post by EarthGoddess » Sat 26th Jan 2008

you dont know how much this has helped me....
Proud member of the Loveless Fangirls!!
:D

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 15th Feb 2008

I followed the instructions to take a screenshot of my wallpaper and--whaddya know?--it took a screenshot of nothing. (I looked on the Clipboard.)

Any tips so that I can take a screenshot of my wallpaper to show to you guys?
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

HollyShort9

OK, I managed to take a screenshot of my wallpaper. (sorry for the double-post.)

But I can't figure out where to paste it so that I can get its image code to put up on here.

Help!! >_>
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Fri 15th Feb 2008

You should get an account at a website like http://www.imageshack.us or http://www.photobucket.com.

Once you have one of those it is easy to upload it onto the internet. They'll give you a URL to paste onto this site.

Did that help?
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

HollyShort9

BlackOpal wrote:You should get an account at a website like http://www.imageshack.us or http://www.photobucket.com.

Once you have one of those it is easy to upload it onto the internet. They'll give you a URL to paste onto this site.

Did that help?

Kindasorta.

ya know, I think I'll get on my account on PhotoBucket and take that off of Paint and put it on the internet and then get the code.