Raspberry Pi

Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other boards.
Solinium Pulse
Troll

Raspberry Pi

Post by Solinium Pulse » Fri 16th Aug 2013

Hi, Sol here! I just want to show you guys something really cool, and I hope you enjoy!

"Let's talk about Pi. A Raspberry Pi, that is..."

Q: Okay, Sol. You've mentioned this before to some people. What the heck is a Raspberry Pi, and why do I need to know about it?

A: A Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. This computer can do everything your basic PC can do, like spreadsheets, word-processing, and even a bit of gaming!

Q: Alright, that's cool. How much does it cost?

A: $35 :D

Q: That sounds too good to be true. Why is it so cheap?

A: Raspberry Pi's were developed to be used for educational purposes, helping students learn programming, basic computing, etc. When the package is delivered, all you get is the Pi.

Q: All I get is the Pi?!?! But what about the monitor? The keyboard?
A: You'll need a few things in order to get the Pi working: [Pictures afterward]

~SD card [at least 4gb, loaded with an OS]
~a TV or monitor [HDMI]
~a USB keyboard
~a USB mouse
~an RCA video cable
~a 5 pin USB
~3.5mm to RCA audio cable
~network cable [optional]

Q; Well...That's quite a few things I need to get. Why not just get an iPhone or something?

A: Although these items are a bit unconventional, they are very easy to acquire if you know where to look. Electronics store, hobby shop or the flea market, [that's where I got most of my stuff...] :D

Also, it's cheaper. :P

Q: Oh, cool, you already have a Pi?

A; Ehehehe...No. XD But I find it best to prepare...

Wait, you don't even have a Pi, why are you telling us about it?

A: Because you can learn all about it at http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Q: Okay, so I'm questioning the quality of this thing...

A: Ah! A reasonable thing to question. Model A has only 256MB RAM, whereas Model B has 512MB RAM. The GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode.

The GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24 GFLOPs of general purpose compute and features a bunch of texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.

That is, graphics capabilities are roughly equivalent to Xbox 1 level of performance. Overall real world performance is something like a 300MHz Pentium 2, only with much, much swankier graphics.

Q: What's the difference between Model A and Model B?

A: Model A costs $25 but has only one USB port and no Ethernet port.
Model B costs $35, but has TWO USB ports, and an Ethernet port

Q: It looks...unfriendly...

A: Are you sure?

But that's just an Altoids can...

A: Are you sure? :D

Is that...?

A: Yep. XD

Q: Awesome. But before I ask where to get one, what can I do with a Raspberry Pi?

A: I'll leave that up to you...
Desktop Computer
Arcade Cabinet
Super Computer!!!
YOU CAN EVEN SEND THAT SUCKER INTO SPACE!!!
Those are just the few ideas...
You can do so much more, your imagination is the limit!

Q: Where can I get one?

A: Here. http://www.farnell.com/pi/

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed posting this, even though I lost half of it the first time. Leave a question or comment below, and I'll try to get back to you!

Everyone should have their slice of Pi!

~Solinium Pulse
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by Cabaline » Fri 16th Aug 2013

Wow that's really awesome :D
It does look like a lot of things that you need extra, but I know that you can get a lot of it fairly cheaply. I know that if you go into electronic stores that sell things like PS3s and stuff you can get ethernet cables for free coz they come with the consoles to the store but they never need them so they just keep them out back and get rid. That's how I've picked up a fair few ethernet cables.
But yeah that is really cheap, and the thing about putting it in the altoids tin is adorable, someone could make a lot of money designing skins for these things :D
I guess it's also really handy in the way that, if you have a desktop computer that is pretty old and needs replacing, you can just keep the monitor and the keyboard and any cables you need, and just get the raspberry pi :)
But I imagine that it isn't something that would be used for gaming or as a 'work' computer if you catch my drift?
Either way it is super awesome :awesome:

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Fri 16th Aug 2013

Sol, you're really good at that :D You could be an advertiser...
If I'm lucky, my Dad might be getting me one sometime, but I'm not great at coding XD I'm also meant to be doing a thing at school called the Raspberry Pi Cubed challenge, which is a challenge using Python to code the Raspberry Pi. But I couldn't find the group, so I'm not doing that... I am learning Python, though! :awesome:
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Fri 16th Aug 2013

Wow all you guys are so much better with this coding stuff and things like that. We never had classes at my school so I don't know the first thing.
I just know that this year at Uni I have to do computational physics and I'm dreading it!

But I guess that coding is just something you get better at with practise, right? And I suppose it's cheaper to learn with the Raspberry Pi than with hundreds of dollars worth of computing equipment.

Solinium Pulse
Troll

Post by Solinium Pulse » Sat 17th Aug 2013

Exactly. This computer was developed for students to help them learn programming, it's low-cost, so therefore low-risk.

And if you brick the device [utterly destroy it's Operating System beyond repair] then you can download it again on their site for free.

Also, I have no idea how to program either. But that's exactly what the Pi is for, right? :D
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sat 17th Aug 2013

Wow they let you download it for free? That's awesome! :D

I also just read through the faq, it says that they're trying to develop it so that it has wi-fi and can run a version of Android which they are also trying to update. This thing is pretty rad :awesome:

Solinium Pulse
Troll

Post by Solinium Pulse » Mon 19th Aug 2013

But I imagine that it isn't something that would be used for gaming or as a 'work' computer if you catch my drift?
Gaming

Work

Robot Car thingy
Wireless Router
Other

R2-D2...does that count as games or work? :D
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Mon 19th Aug 2013

Ha ha ha, wow that is pretty cool! :D
I literally cannot fault it! :awesome:

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Thu 22nd Aug 2013

Codecademy
This is where I'm learning to code - it's free, and it's got loads of different options! And it lets you experiment as well... :D To use Tumblr-speak, A++ 10/10 would recommend!
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Thu 22nd Aug 2013

Oh wow, even just doing the first lesson taught me lots, that's a great site. :D
Thanks for posting :awesome:

Solinium Pulse
Troll

Post by Solinium Pulse » Sat 24th Aug 2013

You're welcome! :D

Codecademy...Hmm. ^_^
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Thu 29th Aug 2013

Will you need a cooling system if you buy a raspberry pi? Cuz technically I could buy one easily enough I have all the components. All, is water cooling ever used on the raspberry pi? Cuz that is a distaster waiting to happen, in my opinion.

Solinium Pulse
Troll

Post by Solinium Pulse » Sat 31st Aug 2013

Though the Pi can get hot, it has been tested and so far it does not need any sort of cooling system or heat sink.

A case would be preferred, though, to avoid it getting dusty and to prevent any one shocking themselves.
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Sun 1st Sep 2013

Solinium Pulse wrote:Though the Pi can get hot, it has been tested and so far it does not need any sort of cooling system or heat sink.

A case would be preferred, though, to avoid it getting dusty and to prevent any one shocking themselves.
ah, okay :) I might get one of these just to play around with aha

jsreed5
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by jsreed5 » Thu 24th Apr 2014

Just came across this thread and...

What's that? Reed owns a Raspberry Pi?
That's right, son.
reedsberry.png
I'm currently using it as an HTPC.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.