Favorite Recipes

Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other boards.
Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Favorite Recipes

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Mon 5th Oct 2009

I don't know about you, but I love food. I love eating it, reading about it, and, most of all, making it.
Let's share our favorite recipes. If they aren't your own, please state where you got them.

I've never tasted a better chocolate cake than this one. It's from America's Test Kitchen. They own everything. I own nothing.

America's Test Kitchen wrote:
Makes one 9 by 13-inch cake.
Published January 1, 2001.

Melting the chocolate and butter in the microwave is quick and neat, but it can also be done in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan containing 2 inches of simmering water. We prefer Dutch-processed cocoa for the deeper chocolate flavor it gives the cake. The baked and cooled cake can simply be served with lightly sweetened whipped cream or topped with any frosting you like.

Ingredients
3/4 cup cocoa powder , preferably Dutch-processed
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon table salt
8 ounces semisweet chocolate , chopped
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), plus extra for baking pan
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Coat bottom and sides of 9 by 13-inch baking pan with 1 tablespoon butter.

2. Sift together cocoa, flour, and salt in medium bowl; set aside. Heat chocolate and butter in microwave-safe bowl covered with plastic wrap 2 minutes at 50 percent power; stir until smooth. (If not fully melted, heat 1 minute longer at 50 percent power.) Whisk together eggs, sugar, and vanilla in medium bowl.

3. Whisk chocolate into egg mixture until combined. Combine buttermilk and baking soda; whisk into chocolate mixture, then whisk in dry ingredients until batter is smooth and glossy. Pour batter into prepared pan; bake until firm in center when lightly pressed and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack until room temperature, at least 1 hour; serve, or ice with frosting, if desired.

To Make Ahead

After the cake(s) has cooled, it can be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and kept at room temperature for up to 1 day. Or, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, then foil, the cake(s) can be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature before unwrapping and frosting.

Here's the recommended frosting. Once again, Chris Kimball and his lackeys cooks own everything.

Makes about 2 cups.
Published January 1, 2001.

This frosting needs about an hour to cool before it can be used, so begin making it when the cake comes out of the oven.

Ingredients
1/2 cup heavy cream
pinch table salt
1 tablespoon light corn syrup (or dark)
10 ounces milk chocolate , chopped
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), cold, cut into 8 pieces

Instructions
Heat cream, salt, and corn syrup in microwave-safe measuring cup on high until simmering, about 1 minute, or bring to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Place chocolate in workbowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. With machine running, gradually add hot cream mixture through feed tube; process 1 minute after cream has been added. Stop machine; add confectioners´ sugar to workbowl and process to combine, about 30 seconds. With machine running, add butter through feed tube one piece at a time; process until incorporated and smooth, about 20 seconds longer. Transfer frosting to medium bowl and cool at room temperature, stirring frequently, until thick and spreadable, about 1 hour.

Let's see your favorite recipes!

One last thing: I take no responsibility for the fact that not everyone has a hyperefficient metabolism like me. It's not my fault if you gain weight due to these recipes.
Make this cake at your own risk!
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Re: Favorite Recipes

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Mon 5th Oct 2009

Rockin! I LOVE to cook!

Ok, I make chocolate chip cookies the most, out of everything... People LOVE them, and I dunno why!

Girl, you make these cookies? Man, you better keep that recipe a secret, these are d*mn good!

- one of the rude mover dudes... who also asked me to draw him a tattoo :?

Yeah, well.. I just use the recipe on the back to "nestle's chocolate chips" :D SO good!

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Wed 7th Oct 2009

This is another favorite recipe of mine. I make this without the parsley and red pepper, but if you like them, use them.

Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil
Serves 4.
Published March 1, 1999.

The garlic is quickly and easily pureed with a garlic press. Alternatively, you can mince it with a chef’s knife, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and continue to mince to a paste, but be sure to reduce the amount of salt cooked with the oil and garlic to 1/2 teaspoon. Diluting the garlic with a bit of water before sautéing ensures a mild, even garlic flavor and helps to prevent burning. Although not a pantry item, parsley adds a fresh herbal flavor and should be used if you have some on hand. If you like, cook 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste) along with the garlic and oil.

Ingredients
4 medium cloves garlic , peeled, processed through garlic press, and mixed with 1 teaspoon water (see note)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Table salt
1 pound spaghetti or linguine
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves (optional)
Ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Heat oil, garlic, optional pepper flakes, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic turns golden but not brown, about 5 minutes; remove pan from heat.

2. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook until al dente. Reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid, drain pasta and return to pot. Add garlic mixture, reserved pasta cooking liquid, and optional parsley; toss well to coat. Adjust seasoning with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Thu 15th Oct 2009

Thanks for using my advertisement thread. :D

Here's one that I use often, though I'm not sure where it came from.
Tunafish Sandwiches
Suplies: medium sized bowl, fork, can opener (if needed)
Ingredients: Tuna (either in packages or cans), mayo, ranch powder
Instructions:
Step 1: Put however much tuna you think you will need (it goes bad fairly quickly) into the bowl.
Step 2: Add the mayo. For family sized packets or two small packets, three table spoons is usually enough. Stir the tuna and the mayo with the fork until the tuna and mayo are a nice blend which is easily spreadable. Add more mayo if the blend isn't easily spreadable.
Step 3: Add the ranch powder. One or two tea spoons should be enough. Stir well with the fork.
Step 4: Spread the tuna salad on a slice of bread and cover it with another slice of bread. Toasted bread is very good for this sandwhich.
Substitutions: can substitute Tuna for packaged Salmon. Can substitute mayo and ranch powder for ranch salad dip. Try spicy ranch if you are adventurous. Note, blue cheese is not going to cut it.
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

Miasaki-chan
Council Member

Post by Miasaki-chan » Fri 16th Oct 2009

I like to create my own candy recipes, does that count?
The Prank 'I won't be supprised if you can't guess it, it was kinda triksty :P'

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 17th Oct 2009

2 days ago I made brownies for the first time on my own, all that my mom did was get out the big mixing bowl and tell me how to set the timer on the oven and how to preheat the oven ^-^ They turned out crunchy just around the edges of the pan and the rest of it was all soft and mooshy and yummy, they were PERFECT :D
I woke up the next day and half of my brownies were gone.
I woke up today and they were completely gone.
I take it my dad liked them. XD

And yesterday I made my first pumpkin pie on my own, it turned out a little bit too soft but it was really yummy! (Hey, I have to start somewhere, right?)
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Miasaki-chan
Council Member

Post by Miasaki-chan » Tue 27th Oct 2009

I made smores with homemade chocolate chip cookies...... and melted Lindors inside... truly heaven!
The Prank 'I won't be supprised if you can't guess it, it was kinda triksty :P'

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Tue 27th Apr 2010

Bump. :D

Let's get this thread going again! :D More recipes, anyone?
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Wed 28th Apr 2010

I should post our suger cookie recipe on here :D its from my great grandma or whatever, and ever since my mom had one she has NOT been able to eat any other suger cookie because they were trash compared to hers xD (I'm not as picky, but you get the idea)
I'll need to pull it out..

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Wed 28th Apr 2010

Please do! :D I'd love to try it! :D
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 5th May 2010

Kierisa12 wrote:I should post our suger cookie recipe on here :D its from my great grandma or whatever, and ever since my mom had one she has NOT been able to eat any other suger cookie because they were trash compared to hers xD (I'm not as picky, but you get the idea)
I'll need to pull it out..
We have one of those too, I think it dates back like four generations when my mom's folks where still in the "old country." I'll post it later if I can find it!
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius

Post by BoboParadizo » Thu 23rd Jun 2011

i have this really easy peanut butter cookie recipie:

Ingredients:

-1 cup peanut butter
-1 egg
-1 cup sugar (or 3/4 cup if you prefer it less sweet)

Instructions

1) Preheat oven to 350°F.

2) Mix peanut butter, sugar, and egg together in a large bowl. Combine all the ingredients. Then, roll the peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls.

3) Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press down with a fork. Once the oven has pre-heated, put the cookies in the oven for 14 minutes. When they are done, let them cool for 5 minutes.

4) After they have cooled, arrange on a plate and enjoy!

ashyartemispotozuko
Troll

Post by ashyartemispotozuko » Sun 26th Jun 2011

Amazing Cheesy Scrambled Eggs (only for cheese lovers)
(recipe for 1 person)

Crack 3 eggs in a bowl
add a quarter cup of milk
add a cup of cheese
stir

pour in a greased frying pan
stir/flip eggs continiously with a flipper
after about a minute, add a piece of bread thats ripped up into 1/4 inch chunks
(that step works better if its actually cresant or a different bakery product cooked a couple nights before)

after another 2 minutes, sprinkle some "seasoned salt" over the top
after you stir/flip that in, add a LITTLE more "seasoned salt" if you want
eggs should be getting done now, so add another 1/2-1 cup of cheese on top and flip it around so it melts all over

TURN OFF FRYING PAN, serve and eat your amazing eggs!!!

EDIT: Amazing Cheesy Mac and Cheese
(used from boxed mac and cheese)

cook a box of noodles the way you normally would, then for the average box size, add at the end when your adding the extra stuff and stirring, after you drained the water out, add:

1/4 cup of milk
the cheese packet
3 tablespoons of butter/margarine
1/2-1 cup of shredded cheese
ripped up slices of THIN ham or turkey
a 1/8th cup of parmesuan cheese (sprinkle it around so it doesn't go in 1 spot)

and stir it all together and what do we got? bippety-boppety-boo!
Last edited by Duck With No Name on Sun 26th Jun 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double post
THANK YOU SARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check out my AF video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLWGWizo4w

And also check out my AF Fanfiction at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8468806/1/The-Sacrifice

ArtemisFowlfan96
LEP Recruit

Post by ArtemisFowlfan96 » Thu 30th Jun 2011

My fave recipe is one for Peanut Butter Cookies that no one seems to believe:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius).

Mix:

1 egg

1 cup of brown sugar

1 cup of peanut butter.

Roll the dough into small balls and place on a cookie sheet. Flatten the balls with a fork.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Makes 25-30 cookies.

For variation, add chocolate or peanut butter chips to the dough.

It seriously works, and it's delicious!
The world is a strange place....

Dr. Spencer Reid, played by Matthew Gray Gubler, on Criminal Minds, is the most amazing guy in the world. And HE'S ALL MINE!!!

The rain smells... interesting. It's... intoxicating. I can't stop... sniffing it. Don't worry... if I get... high....

"Do you think it's possible to feel homesick, even when you're at home?"
---Julie from Saturday's Warrior

Love hurts like a sharp arrow--why else would everyone draw an arrow through their hearts? But going without it hurts even more.

"I do my thing and you do your thing; you are you and I am I; but if in the end we end up together, it's beautiful."
---Topanga from Boy Meets World

ShortRebel
LEP Recruit
Location: New England. Just like Olde England, but without the charm or chips

Post by ShortRebel » Mon 4th Jul 2011

That' such a cool recipe! I need to try it! Here is the most delicious dip/spread/condiment ever:

Jalepeno Popper Spread

Ingredients
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup mayonnaise
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
2 ounces canned diced jalapeno peppers, drained
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
Stir together cream cheese and mayonnaise in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in green chiles and jalapeno peppers. Pour mixture into a microwave safe serving dish, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

**this is awesome with tortilla chips or literally anything else
Microwave on High until hot, about 3 minutes.
◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙

Tennis.Running. Friends. Science.: Love

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.

I absolutely swear It Gets Better

"High school is one of the most difficult times you'll ever live through. At that age, you're expected to act like an adult while gaining none of the benefits of adulthood. You are criticized for virtually everything you do by just about every adult in your social and family circle. You're expected to start holding up responsibilities, but under their rules. It is terrifyingly hard. Some people don't make it through. You will.

-John Cheese, cracked.com

◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙