NaNoWriMo

Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other boards.

You doing it?

Yes
35%
No
15%
I was, but I quit
5%
Have never heard of it
45%

Total votes: 65

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 13th Aug 2013

Skyswallow wrote:I'm planning to do it this year - for the first proper time! Although I'm still not sure what to write... For some reason I don't know how to make a storyline with OC's and everything (I blame too much fanfic writing...)! Do you have any advice on how to start? I tried to do it last year, but didn't realise how much I had to research. Result: failed NaNoWriMo, and a notebook with a just-started story waiting on my bedroom floor :(
Hmm... do you have any ideas yet for a novel? If you want really deep advice for direct questions, I can PM you so we can have a lengthier conversation without spamming up the thread. But since others can find this useful: My process is typically this.

Come up with a basic idea, find a song that inspires a basic idea, etc.

Expand that idea into a wider plot, and put filler names for my characters. (For example... if I had written LOTR, I would have come up with "Hobbit MC has to destroy ring in the mountain it was forged. Evil guy wants the ring." That would have expanded into "Frodo" and "Sauron", which would have continued on. Usually when I have a few basic plot points (2 or 4) that are clear, I start making my characters.

Usually characters are the easiest part for me, because I'll already have visions once the plot gets going. But if I have some trouble, or need some filler characters, I'll Google baby names (if I need a specific gender I'll include that), and usually when I stumble across a name it'll give me a vague, vague idea for a character personality, which I'll then begin to work on.

After I have my characters, I make a Google doc spreadsheet where I make an entire plot outline--I'm a planner, not a pantser. :)

These are some websites I've found very useful, as well. You can use an entire style that someone else came up with or take bits and pieces that work for you (that's what I do). These gave me some great ideas for how to plan my novels to find the method that worked best for me, and I learned a bunch of new things about characters or the roles they should play in novels that I didn't think of before. Hope you pick up something helpful :)

The "Snowflake" Method

6 Writing Outline Templates and 3 Reasons to Use Them

10 Tips for a Terrific Antagonist
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 3rd Nov 2013

How's it going, all you fellow NaNoers?
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sun 3rd Nov 2013

Well, I have no plot XD I just had a clown turn up to one of my charries, and I don't know why...
What's your wordcount goal?
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 5th Nov 2013

Skyswallow wrote:Well, I have no plot XD I just had a clown turn up to one of my charries, and I don't know why...
What's your wordcount goal?
At the minimum, 50k. I'm hoping to get 100k-150k this year, though. I have a long enough plot. If I get really ambitious, I may try for 200k. I highly, highly, highly doubt that'll happen for many reasons, but it never hurts to set high goals. :)

My current word count is 16,981. Not bad for the end of day 4. :)

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Post by Felina » Tue 5th Nov 2013

I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 12th Nov 2013

I'm currently in the middle of a scene, and I have 37,095 words exactly where I am now. My goal is no longer a specific word count, but merely to get through my entire plot by November 30th.
I have 122 scenes in my plot outline--I did my outline by scenes, deciding to let the chapters break themselves wherever they did while I was writing (as they tend to do that naturally.)
With how many scenes from my outline I have done now, I have to write about 5-6 scenes per day if I want to finish on the 30th. I'm going to try for an average of 6-7, because I'd rather be done early than late, but man.

There's a comment on the NaNoWriMo song by Kristina Horner. There's a lyric in it that says, "I powered through to 40 and I'm nearing the end", and someone commented saying "I powered through to 40 and I'm nearing the... middle... #fantasynovelprobs" and it made me laugh. XD

I take my struggle to finish my entire plot in a month as a sign I've grown as a writer, though. In my first NaNo, which was in... 2009? (I've done every year since.) I had such a hard time stretching the plot to make 50k. Now I'm having a hard time getting through my entire plot in a month, all word counts thrown to the side. XD

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Thu 28th Nov 2013

How's everyone doing?
I'm not going to win this year. Not only was I already really badly behind, but I left my memory stick in PE and I haven't got it backed up anywhere... I've started something else I thought of but sadly there's no way I'm gonna be able to finish :(
One of my friends has just won NaNo XD I'm so jealous...
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 29th Nov 2013

I hit 50k on... I think it was November 13th. XD I think I only have like 68k now though, I got really busy.
Sadly, I didn't get to my goal, which was to finish my novel. I'm only on scene 50 out of 122. I'll keep plugging away though. :)

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 2nd Nov 2015

Anyone trying for it this year? :)

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Mon 2nd Nov 2015

Yeah. Not planning on winning just trying to write more.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction