The Book Thread!

Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other boards.
BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius

Re: The Book Thread!

Post by BoboParadizo » Wed 29th Aug 2012

We have to pick a book to read throughout September...I'm thinking about the Hobbit. Any thoughts? Has anyone read it before?

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Wed 29th Aug 2012

^ The Hobbit is a great book, but I don't know if it's the best choice for a school thing for the whole of September... it's a relatively short book (I'm pretty sure it's fewer than 300 pages) and it's written as a children's book, so it's not very difficult at all. But if that kind of thing would be a good fit to the assignment then go for it, the book is great, like I said :)

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Tue 4th Sep 2012

I'm reading Worldy's copy of To Kill A Mockingjay and it is so good! I can't put it down, much to Worldy's annoyance xD
Duck With No Name wrote: You Have To Stop This by Pseudonymous Bosch. :) I think that I've seen someone else reccommend Psudonymous Bosch's books before and I also think that they'd be great for everyone on this site because the humour is similar to that in AF. The books have fun puns and jokes in them!
^ That could of been me, I can't remember. I love Pseudonymous Bosch's books and the humour is amazing. I didn't know that You Have To Stop This is out. Hopefully it will be in the school library when we go back. :D
One word: Merlin

hiholly123
Dwarf Thief

Post by hiholly123 » Mon 17th Sep 2012

I just love the Gone series to death. They're a little gory, so if you don't like a bit of nastiness you might not enjoy them that much. But I adore them, so. XD

Also, I've been racing through all of John Green's books as fast as I can. I'm on Paper Towns right now, and it's great. The Fault in Our Stars is still my favorite, though, out of all of them.
(GIF not made by me)
Don't Blink.
Team Holly!

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 19th Sep 2012

^
Drop everything and listen to the entire In the Areoplane over the Sea right now....also. anything by The Mountain Goats, so then we can be creepy folkies together :B

I was at the library today and found two excellent books on sculpture, one is pretty old school, before polymer clays like sculpted and fimo came into use with artists, I use sculpey for a lot of my works but it still has a good section on casting from/making silicon molds....
I haven't gotten to look cloosly at the other one yet but it should be good too,
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

AngelMoon
Gnome

Post by AngelMoon » Sun 23rd Sep 2012

Oh my gosh, I just love the Inkheart trilogy (inkheart, inkspell, inkdeath). I also love the Septimus heap series. Angie Sage and Cornilia Funke are amazing authors.

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.

When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sat 29th Sep 2012

I was reading Emma by Jane Austen but I kinda put it down and haven't picked it up again in ages. I'm kinda struggling to remember what it was about too.

Plus I went into Waterstones the other day (big mistake) and bought a book on quantum physics by Brain Cox. I had to try really hard to not buy the Shakespeare manga books too. And the new Doctor Who book; The History of the World in 100 Objects. I was having a major fangirl in the shop but I didn't have enough money to get it. :(

Immortal
Dwarf Thief

Post by Immortal » Fri 5th Oct 2012

Game of Thrones is a good read, for sure. Less than a hundred pages into the long book and I'm really hooked.
Thanks to Mira-chan for making this awesome sig ^_^

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Fri 5th Oct 2012

^ YESGOOD this is a thing we will have to talk about in the future. I'm a little over halfway through A Feast for Crows (the fourth book) at the moment, and I just went out and got the fifth book yesterday so that I can just go straight into it when I finish x) It doesn't stop being awesome, Immy. It doesn't stop. :awesome:

hiholly123
Dwarf Thief

Post by hiholly123 » Sat 6th Oct 2012

Fear (the latest book in the Gone series) gave me a lot of feelings. Just...yeah. They're so good, but somEONE I LIKE ALWAYS DIES NO. It's not okay. D:
(GIF not made by me)
Don't Blink.
Team Holly!

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sat 6th Oct 2012

I finished the Mark of Athena! It was good, but then the ending. Whoa. I was reading it at 3 in the morning and was going swimming in 2 hours, but I couldn't put it down. Now I have to wait another year (for the 4th time) for the House of Hades.
One word: Merlin

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Mon 31st Dec 2012

May I mention that Wonder is an amazing, touching book?

evilgenius
Dwarf Thief

Post by evilgenius » Sat 5th Jan 2013

^Brian Selznick?

Angelfall by Susan Ee I recommend this to everyone.Seriously. People who have kindles this book is like 3 dollars or something.

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Sat 5th Jan 2013

hiholly123 wrote:I just love the Gone series to death. They're a little gory, so if you don't like a bit of nastiness you might not enjoy them that much. But I adore them, so. XD

Also, I've been racing through all of John Green's books as fast as I can. I'm on Paper Towns right now, and it's great. The Fault in Our Stars is still my favorite, though, out of all of them.
I've read TFiOS and Paper Towns too and yesterday I bought Will Grayson Will Grayson and An Abundance of Katherines. :D Right now though I'm re-reading the Mortal Instruments so that I can read the most recent one of them. :) I really recommend them and thank you Ha for telling me about them- they're amazing! :D

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 12th May 2013

It's funny that that's the most recent post in this thread because I just came running over here to talk about Will Grayson Will Grayson which has definitely absolutely and completely just entered my list of favorite books very near the top. I really loved getting to see more than one point of view of the story and Will Grayson and will grayson were so perfectly characterized and so perfectly different but also so much the same and Tiny Cooper is an absolutely amazing character and the relationships between Will and will and Tiny and Jane and Gideon were just perfect and I just don't even know how to express how much I loved it (and unlike most John Green books I only cried from sads like once, as compared to every other sentence of TFiOs and the entire second half of Looking for Alaska) (although there was some happy crying at the end) (but that's the good kind of crying)