The Book Thread!

Anything that doesn't fit in any of the other boards.
Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Re: The Book Thread!

Post by Ash Kelp » Mon 16th Jul 2012

world is quiet here wrote:I am currently reading Alex Rider: Scorpia Rising (the last one) I find it very well written, and has totally knocked out my sense of all the books being the same, this is much different, I think. :3
I read all of them, It's basically James Bond with a teenage hero.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

JLHxXxX
LEP Commander

Post by JLHxXxX » Mon 16th Jul 2012

world is quiet here wrote:I am currently reading Alex Rider: Scorpia Rising (the last one) I find it very well written, and has totally knocked out my sense of all the books being the same, this is much different, I think. :3
One of the first long series I read. One of my favorites as a kid, too. :3

I recommend the book Forbidden for anyone who likes a sick and twisted world that can possibly happen through explanation. ~
Waiting for the bus that never comes is silly. Once you start to walk, every opportunity will be stopping you in your tracks to greet you.

~HaTheAngel~

bentj96
LEP Recruit

Post by bentj96 » Mon 16th Jul 2012

^

I finished Alex Rider a long time ago, but I was kinda disappointed along the way. I think it would have been really cool if he actually turned into the bad guy in the end. I feel as if his character felt more real when he feels anger towards MI6.

-Dark Star
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Mon 16th Jul 2012

^Agreed, he got a little too 'goody goody' at the end. I like villains, he wasn't one end of story.

Although it still was a good series.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sun 12th Aug 2012

I started Alex Rider years ago, and read most of the books, but when he started working for different people I started to get a bit bored and the books started to get a bit depressing. I finished the last book a few days ago, and I think it was one of the best. It was a good series, and the last book was credit to that.

Percy Jackson. Re-reading it again. Amazing. :D
One word: Merlin

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 12th Aug 2012

Well I'm in a bit of a Bronte kick right now.
I read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I much preferred Wuthering Heights. :D
Right now I'm reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte and I'm really liking it so far. It's nice to have a story from the male perspective :)

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Mon 13th Aug 2012

This may sound weird, but I'm finding To Kill A Mocking Bird too hard to read. I just turned eleven, so I guess I am a bit young. I'll read it when I'm older.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Mon 13th Aug 2012

world is quiet here wrote:This may sound weird, but I'm finding To Kill A Mocking Bird too hard to read. I just turned eleven, so I guess I am a bit young. I'll read it when I'm older.
Well my dad first read it when he was about 14 and he says that it's good to read it as you are growing up and to go back to it every couple of years. He says that it helps you read it in a different way, you interpret things differently coz of what's happened in your life up to that point. So even if you don't understand bits now, you will eventually :)

I finished reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall last night. I loved it. I think the next one is going to be The Professor :D

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Thu 16th Aug 2012

Young Bond series by Charlie Higson.

Absolutely awesome, I need to get book 4.
As you may have guessed, I like action, adventure, fantasy and mystery. :razz:
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Immortal
Dwarf Thief

Post by Immortal » Sun 26th Aug 2012

The Girl who Played with Fire - Part of the Millienium trilogy (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), second in the series.

It's a bit more darker since there's more fighting/action in it.
Thanks to Mira-chan for making this awesome sig ^_^

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sun 26th Aug 2012

I read The Professor and I liked it a lot, I managed with the French ok. Now I'm reading Villette (Charlotte Bronte) and I really really like the story and M. Paul is just one of my total favourite characters. But I am struggling with the French a fair bit :?

I think when I've finished Villette I'll read Shirley.

Duck With No Name
LEP Commander

Post by Duck With No Name » Sun 26th Aug 2012

Yesterday, I read Saving June by Hannah Harrington and You Have To Stop This by Pseudonymous Bosch. :) I think that I've seen someone else reccommend Psudonymous Bosch's books before and I also think that they'd be great for everyone on this site because the humour is similar to that in AF. The books have fun puns and jokes in them!

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Tue 28th Aug 2012

I just started reading Wicked.

Here's the cover.

It is by Gregory Maguire, and it is really good so far. I had no idea that Elfaba(Wicked Witch of the West) had such a hard time as a baby. I just can't wait to reach the Galinda part. ^.^
You threw me a lifeline, I'm not throwing away my shot

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Tue 28th Aug 2012

Airman, by EC.
Hence the avvie, and I'm making a similar siggie :D
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Tue 28th Aug 2012

I finished reading Villette. Such a sad sad ending :( She deserved happiness!

I'm reading Shirley now. So far it's a bit slow. We're 4 chapters in and there's still not even a hint of the main character. Plus all this stuff about Napoleon is starting to get boring.