When I Met Eoin...

All about the author himself, and discussion on any of the other books he has written.
ashyartemispotozuko
Troll

When I Met Eoin...

Post by ashyartemispotozuko » Sun 22nd Jul 2012

This is the LONGEST post ever!!! On July 20th, 2012 I met Eoin Colfer. Anything in the *spoilers* are my PERSONAL stories from that night, having nothing to do with him. You do not have to read the stuff in the *spoilers* to understand the rest, it is just me on a soapbox. Anything you can read without *spoilers* has something to do with how I got there and Eoin Colfer.

So I was going out of state to meet Eoin Colfer and get my books signed. I was going with my mom and a friend; we were going to have a great time! So it was supposed to be a 3 hour drive. We’d have gotten there at 6PM. It starts at 7PM. Well guess what, we get stuck on interstate rush hour. So… we didn’t get there til 8PM….

It sucked!! I cried and when we finally got there, we ran in and caught the last 5 minutes of his speech. It was hilarious from what I heard. After he finished, the people running the bookstore said if you wanted a number to be able to get in line, go get one from the desk. I went to the desk and asked for one. The boy said I had to buy an Eoin Colfer book.

I sighed, and picked “Artemis Fowl: The Artic Incident Graphic Novel” off the shelf. The ONLY Artemis Fowl book I did not own. I bought it and got a ticket for line. My friend bought the first Artemis Fowl book and got a ticket. My mom finally came in then and she bought the first Artemis Fowl as well to get a number thing.

So, we had our numbers. I realized soon that that bookstore had a LOT of Mr. Colfers books. I went to the rack and saw they had 4 of the 6 Eoin Colfer books I don’t own. I grabbed “Legend of Spud Murphy” and “Legend of Captain Crows Teeth”, figuring I could just order “Plugged”, “And Another Thing”, “Click”, and “The Supernaturalist The Graphic Novel” off ebay for pretty cheap plus shipping. But those two Legend Of books were only $5. Not gunna be that cheap on ebay.

So I get those and go get in line. There’s a woman arguing with a sale’s woman.

“But we already own the book!”

“This is how we make our money to pay to bring the authors here. You have to buy an Eoin Colfer book if you want a number to get in line.”

“But I don’t have the money to—“

I tapped the sale’s womans shoulder. “I can help her.” I said. The woman gave me a “Whaaa?” look, but then walked away, glad to be rid of the annoying customer.

The Fellow Fowl Fan turned to me. I said, “I’m buying another Eoin Colfer book right now. I already have a ticket, I can just ask for another and give you it.”

“You’d do that for me?!” the woman says.

“Of course. It’s no problem.” I say.

I finally get up to the register. I put the 2 “Legend Of” books up and ask for a number. This was a different person from before. This was an angry-looking-tobacco-smelling young man. Must’ve been middle 30’s. But by the stress on his face, he obviously couldn’t stand the stress of having an author signing in his store. He must’ve been the manager, I figured later.

“Can I have a ticket?” I ask.
“This isn’t the new Artemis Fowl book”
“I know that. But they’re Eoin Colfer books”
“The tickets are only for the New Artemis Fowl books.”
“Okay, but I already got a ticket for a different Artemis Fowl book. Now I want another one.”
He gives me his best death glare and says enunciating every syllable in case I’m slow, “The tickets are for the NEW Eoin Colfer.”

Well, I don’t know if you know me around the forum, but I’m pretty sarcastic. I couldn’t miss my chance. So I say back slowly, “Actually, I’m sure he’s always been the same Eoin Colfer.”

The man actually turned red. I thought he was Root for Haven’s sakes!

Understanding I’m not slow, he said fast and in a rising voice, “the tickets are only with a purchase of the new Artemis Fowl book!”
“No they’re not!” I said loudly back. “They’re for any Eoin Colfer book! You’re still making the same profit, so I don’t see the big deal!”

He was about to say something more, when the boy that had wrung me up before looked at the man and said, “Actually, it is Any Eoin Colfer book.”

This man then turned PURPLE! NO JOKE! He turned to the boy, hiked himself up to his full height and shouted in the boy’s face, “You’re going to contradict ME now, boy!? Who do you think you are!?!?!” this man was screaming. The boy immediately backed down, didn’t say another word, and turned pink around the edges.

“It is any Eoin Colfer book.” A female employee called over.

This man de-puffed and glared at her, “What’s the last number we gave?”

And so I got my ticket. Well…. Her ticket. I gave the woman the ticket and she thanked me profusely, but I said it was no problem at all. I got back over by my mom and I realized I was shaking from the adrenaline that fight had given me. It was kind of funny. I turned to my friend and looked her in the eye. Then randomly shouted, “You’re going to contradict me, boy?!” we both fell to the ground laughing, she had seen the whole thing.

Anyway, rant over.

So I eventually got my chance to meet Eoin Colfer. I go up there, and my friend and I chat with him. He was clearly tired, but us being the 3rd last in line, he perked up a bit.

We chatted. He was very very nice. I told him about my love for Artemis Fowl, then… then I told him that there’s this website that exists called “Artemis Fowl Fangathering”. I had all the info written down about it, and I gave it to him. It was also attached to and posts written on this thread http://forum.fangathering.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8971 and he said, “It sounds cool. Thank you VERY VERY much for this. This really means a lot to me, Baylee. I will probably check this site out sometime.”

And the thing was—he was sincere! He seriously thought it was cool and he talked to me and laughed and joked and we were smiling and I got a couple pictures and he shook my hand and we left. But before we made it out the door, I hear you could get back in line with other books if you wanted after the line was out.

I ran to the car and got my other books. I got almost 8 books in total signed :D I got back in line and he smiled and said, “Baylee again.” I laughed and we chatted a bit more. I then pointed out my custom made shirt. His publicist or whoever asked for a picture and I said yes.

Then, 3 other people asked for pictures. I had made a shirt that said, “I don’t like lollipops” and had a picture of a lollipop below it XDDDD he actually posted it to his facebook page. You can add him as a friend if you want: https://www.facebook.com/eoin.colfer.31

He wasn’t supposed to personalize more then 2 books, but he personalized them all!! It was so awesome!! He just held each one up, “Is this one for you too?” I’d nod and he’d write a different funny thing in it. One said “Keep writing” and another said “Nice shirt!!” the others said, “Fowl Wishes, Baylee” it was SOOOO awesome!!

He was really nice and personable and genuine. I really really liked him <3

I just really really hope he comes on this site sometime like he said he might!!!

P.S. Tell me if you wanna see the pictures :3
THANK YOU SARA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

check out my AF video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVLWGWizo4w

And also check out my AF Fanfiction at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8468806/1/The-Sacrifice

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Re: When I Met Eoin...

Post by world is quiet here » Sun 22nd Jul 2012

:lol: I love the drama. Was it kinda annoying though? I loved your sarcastic reply. :razz: We should make a sarcasm club. I would like to see the photos! :)
OMG I looked at FB and found you pic, I think. It said: "I don't like lollipops" And then had a lollipop and it was taken in Naperville, Illinois. IS.IT.U? Thank you for doing the letters, and I hope you had a good time.

ashyartemispotozuko
Troll

Post by ashyartemispotozuko » Mon 23rd Jul 2012

noo, it wasn't annoying, it was funny! lol. YES on the sarcasm club!! Yes, that picture was me :) and it was no problem at all for the letters. I think I can get the picture in this post...

I only really have one of me and Eoin though :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And also check out my AF Fanfiction at http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8468806/1/The-Sacrifice

Iamcool
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by Iamcool » Sun 12th Aug 2012

Haha, I love how you answered the man i the shop... :lol: And Colfer, he seems so nice and friendly! I would have loved to meet him.
Thank you for the siggie, Iris!
_ _ _
Shoot for the moon... Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

ashyartemispotozuko
Troll

Post by ashyartemispotozuko » Tue 4th Sep 2012

lol ikr? and it was so fun... You can't believe. even getting therre late and missing most of it and it being like $40 in gas and buying $20 worth of books and the 8 hours of driving.... lol, soooooooo worth it!!!!

He was so nice even though you could tell he was so tierd and worn... It was the best day of my whole life!!!