Eoin and Hitch-hiker 6

All about the author himself, and discussion on any of the other books he has written.
nutrino
Dwarf Thief

Eoin and Hitch-hiker 6

Post by nutrino » Wed 17th Sep 2008

As some of you may know, Eoin Colfer has agreed to write a sixth Hitch-Hikers guide to the Galaxy novel, called "And another Thing...", due for release in october 2009. Douglas Adams originally wrote the series, until his death in 2001. Is anyone else as exicted as I am? Not only are Arthur, Ford and Marvin coming back, but Colfer is writing it!
Hello again.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Re: Eoin and Hitch-hiker 6

Post by p5ychic » Wed 24th Sep 2008

Sorry, as much as I appreciate Colfer, he's not nearly up to the challenge of even coming near the Late Great Douglas Adams's shoes, let alone trying to fill them.

I am not happy about this, not one bit. How do you continue a series when all the main characters, except for one, died at the end of the fifth book?

P5=Not Happy. P5≠Happy. This had better be the absolute best book ever written by anyone ever, or else I'll be mad at Colfer forever. Artemis Fowl will be dead to me if I'm not in love with this new book.

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Wed 24th Sep 2008

Eoin can do Anything! HE can EVEN do this book!
we're lost at sea, but that only means that the entire world is our option

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Wed 24th Sep 2008

The redeem3r wrote:Eoin can do Anything! HE can EVEN do this book!

Hate to break it to you, but as great as Colfer is, he's nowhere near the caliber of Douglas Adams. This had better be the best book he's ever written, or a lot of people will be mad at him.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Fri 26th Sep 2008

Artemis Fowl will be dead to me if I'm not in love with this new book.

A bit extreme, don't you think? I may not- actually, I probably won't- like Colfer's Hitchhiker's Guide book, but that doesn't mean I'll stop appreciating the things he can do well.

I didn't know that Douglass Adams ever intended to write a sixth book, and I'm still not positive that AFC didn't make that up. I mean, the ending seemed pretty definitive. Like you said, everyone died.. How do you follow that?

Of course, even if Adams had been alive to write a 6th book, I'm not sure I would have liked it anyway. I adore the first two books, but they seemed to go downhill after that. It was a struggle to get through Mostly Harmless. I think I'm in the minority there, though.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Fri 26th Sep 2008

MMK wrote:
Artemis Fowl will be dead to me if I'm not in love with this new book.

A bit extreme, don't you think? I may not- actually, I probably won't- like Colfer's Hitchhiker's Guide book, but that doesn't mean I'll stop appreciating the things he can do well.

I didn't know that Douglass Adams ever intended to write a sixth book, and I'm still not positive that AFC didn't make that up. I mean, the ending seemed pretty definitive. Like you said, everyone died.. How do you follow that?

Of course, even if Adams had been alive to write a 6th book, I'm not sure I would have liked it anyway. I adore the first two books, but they seemed to go downhill after that. It was a struggle to get through Mostly Harmless. I think I'm in the minority there, though.

I liked all the books, especially the third one, but the end of Mostly Harmless was pretty definite.

Adams wanted to write a sixth book, but never planned to. He said he wished he could have ended hitchhiker's on a lighter note, so he talked about wanting to write one, but as far as it got were some ideas in "The Salmon of Doubt."

I just hope Colfer doesn't do anything stupid, like bring back earth, or overplay Marvin.

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Fri 26th Sep 2008

You forgetting about Artemis fowl? Im-frigging-possible.

Your just bluffing.

Eoin cant ruin a book!
Can he?

Maybe he'll invent time travel! no matter what, I'll always like Eoin's style of writing.

Oh, and i hear the book isn't going to be published under his name. Is that true?
we're lost at sea, but that only means that the entire world is our option

Matt
Troll

Post by Matt » Tue 10th Mar 2009

COVER RELEASED:

Haven't seen this about yet, but they've released the cover. I'll link to it rather than post it though, as it's a BIG image. Got it last night from the press conference and managed to get it up before Eoin.

http://artemis-fowl.com/images/site_bookcovers/other/hitchhiker_front_large.jpg

Also attended the press event party in London, here's a couple of pics:

More images and whatnot over at AFC, we're getting the basic plot details up as soon as possible.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 12th Mar 2009

While in most cases I devour spoilers, I think I'll keep myself spoiler free for this one... I mean, it's that sort of book, where I don't want to know things in advance. Or at least, I hope it's that sort of book. If it's at all consistent with the others, it will be.

Then again, as I said above, I've got really low expectations... even if Adams himself had written it, I wouldn't be too excited. They seemed to me to go downhill after book 2.

I just hope Colfer doesn't do anything stupid, like bring back earth, or overplay Marvin.

I absolutely agree.

Matt
Troll

Post by Matt » Sat 14th Mar 2009

The official blog for the press event from Penguin has been released:
Click Here!

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sat 23rd May 2009

P5YCHIC wrote:I just hope Colfer doesn't do anything stupid, like bring back earth, or overplay Marvin.

I just wanted to quickly correct myself-- Adams brought back earth and killed marvin in book 4. Although I'm sure Marvin (and for that matter every other character) will be brought back for the book.

And thanks for the info, Matt!