Da Vinci's Secret

See the Writing Forum Rules thread for info on rating
minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Da Vinci's Secret

Post by minervaparadizo » Fri 6th Apr 2007

This is my new Fan Fic, called Davinici's secret, and it's a bit like the Davinci code, and each chapter has a reference to a Davinci item. Some are obvious, others are hard. I'll have a little competition as to who can post the Davinci fits. Whoever gets the most at the end gets to chose their won OC for my next one.
Okay, for those of you who don't know the general story, I advise you read the Angel's fanfic, because it will explain a lot of references in this. But in short, Minerva is Holly's sister, and is called an Angel (part human, part fairy). She had to go into a research cube, but before that, she kissed Artemis and left him behind. The twins are called Sybil and Sirius.
And for the younger readers I warn that this is rated teen for certain implications.

Minerva was worried. There was a car outside her apartment that hadn?t moved in three hours. She had called everyone she knew, but they were all not answering their phones. Even Holly, who was probably too busy with Trouble. The two had been together for three years, and it was all rather sickly sweet.
Minerva herself was now eighteen. She was a fully-fledged Angel, and a lot had happened since she had said goodbye to Artemis with a kiss in the research booth of Foaly's. When Foaly had finished getting her to attach electrodes to her forehead, draining her power into batteries and testing her reflexes (six months in total), she had returned to the surface. Her fist stop had been Fowl manor, but a surprise fitting the location's name had been waiting for her.
Since then she had become even more headstrong, and was currently in her favourite London apartment, in the city to give a talk on anti matter. However, she was becoming increasingly worried about the car outside. It had been there for hours and not moved, with one person in the front seat focusing a pair of binoculars, and another in the back supposedly checking a map.
When all her friends had been called, Minerva sat on a rocker lounge chair, wondering what to do. All she needed were a few words of comforting advice. She made herself a cup of tea and then did something she really would rather not have. She flipped up her phone and speed dialled a person whom she had seen for the first time in three years that day, and whom she had thought of every hour.

Artemis was happy. His parents had stopped worrying about his three year disappearance three years ago, after being magically convinced that he had received a fatal liver cancer and had himself cryogenically frozen until the cure came around. They were much more relaxed too.
The twins were marvellous. Sybil was already writing a novel, and Sirius was selling artworks at six thousand pounds each. Both only six years old.
He had come to London for a weeklong series of lectures about all forms of matter. He hadn't expected to see whom he had.
He relaxed again on his chair, thinking about a lecture he had attended on the noble gasses, given by Giles Webster, a young but bright scientist. He was interrupted from the thought by his phone.
'Artemis Fowl's phone.'
'Artemis? It?s me.' That voice. Unmistakable. It was her.
'Minerva?'
'Yes. Listen, I'm worried. There are people tracking me. Do you know what I should do?'
'Where about in London are you staying?'
'The Riverview Apartment block.'
'Okay. I'll come over and tell you what to do.'
'Right. Ten minutes.'
He hung up, realising how much he had sweated. It had only been a minute long conversation with a girl, but he was acting as though it had been a terrorist interrogation. But then again, he and Minerva had broken each other's hearts before, and they hadn't spoken in two and a half years since then. And Minerva was the only girl who he had ever truly kissed. That was right before she broke his heart.

Minerva unlocked the door when Artemis knocked and welcomed him in. Well, as much as one can when they haven't spoken in two and a half years.
'So, are you here for the matter lectures?' she asked.
'Yes, but I?m just a spectator. Unlike you.'
Minerva blushed. 'Anti matter interests me. Thanks for coming. Did they do anything when you came in?'
'Well, one started tapping on a laptop, and they other one was speaking into his sleeve.'
'That isn't funny.'
'Really, I thought it was.'
Minerva scowled. 'Can I get you anything to drink?'
'No thanks.' An awkward silence followed. Artemis broke it finally. 'Look, Minerva, I understand what you think about me now. You think I'm pig headed, short attentioned, impossibly attractive; that was a joke,'
'Oh, was it?' said Minerva nervously.
'You pretty much think that I?m the worst thing to walk this world since the Neanderthals. Actually, you think they were better, because they were faithful. But seriously Minerva. I'm sorry.'
Minerva looked into his eyes, he stared back. And in them she saw the truth.
'Well, maybe just some tea then,' he concluded.

Minerva opened her eyes. Everything was blurred. She naturally reached onto her bedside table for her glasses, which was were she usually kept them while she slept. But they weren't there anymore. Frantically she rolled out of bed and found the glasses in a pile of discarded clothes. She slid them on and climbed back into bed, knowing what she would find, but still swearing loudly in French. Next to her lay a sleeping, dark haired Irish boy. Minerva had no doubt as to what had happened. And that was trouble. A whole lot of it.
She gave her Mona Lisa smile. But it was worth it.
Last edited by minervaparadizo on Sat 14th Apr 2007, edited 2 times in total.
Minerva seperated the fingers on her right hand into a W
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

"What's that suposed to mean. A wolfs head on a stick Big wolf barbeque tonight. Bring your own wolf."
No 1. The Lost Colony

"Was Holly still clinging there, or was he alone now? for the first time in his life, truly alone. 'Fowl, open the door you pasty faced mud weasel!' Ah well, not alone then"
Artemis, The Artic Incident

Artemis Fowl II
Gnome

Post by Artemis Fowl II » Sat 7th Apr 2007

Write more now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is always a way to get your way when your way is the way you want to go. -Me

Indianapolis Colts rule 4eva! I rule.

minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Post by minervaparadizo » Sun 8th Apr 2007

Woot! Part 2. Just for you, Artemis Fowl II! Enjoy!

Minerva was poised on a pile of beanbags, talking to her friends, who had all called her apologising for not answering her the night before. She looked like Madonna on the Rocks, in a Chinese dressing gown and her hair being buffeted by the air conditioner.
Artemis looked through a crack in the door. She really was beautiful. He couldn't believe what he had done to her. But after what had happened the night before... He didn't even know what had happened. He had forgotten, or maybe it had been nothing. Maybe they had both felt tired, then Artemis had gone to the bathroom and gone back into the wrong room. Then in the morning, they had both suffered mild concussion from banging their heads together in their sleep. But he knew that wasn't what had happened.

Underground, Holly, Trouble and Mulch had all been called to Foaly's operations booth. They were all watching as Foaly called up an image of a man, 15th or 16th century by the looks of it. Holly was the first on to react.
'Foaly, who the hell is that?'
'Leonardo Da Vinci. You heard of him?'
Trouble answered. 'Didn't he rip off the people?'
'Indeed he did. He had designs for helicopters, tanks and concentrated solar power before mud man worked out electric light. They just think he was incredibly clever, but he actually stole the designs from us. He had a run in with a training LEP recruit and saw some of our stuff. Unfortunately, he got away before we could mind wipe him. Eventually we found him and mind wiped him, but he swore revenge on the people for stealing his memories.'
'Wow. A mud man swearing revenge. Never heard that before.' Mulch was poking fun at Foaly, as usual.
'This is very serious Mulch,' snapped Foaly. 'We thought that it was just a mud man oath, but we think it may be more. Lately there has been activity in his tomb, but he's been dead for ages. We need you guys to investigate. It may be nothing, but last time I guessed something from someone who swore revenge was nothing, it was everything.'
Holly nodded glumly. Back to saving the world. She had enjoyed her three-year break, but it seemed as though she had to return to service. But Foaly was right. When Foaly had assumed the shimmer on Root's chest in the video was interference, it had nearly ended up in the destruction of Haven.
'I?d better call Minerva. She'll know what to do.'
'What about Artemis?'
'She and Artemis fell out when she got back to the surface,' said Trouble.
Foaly's face showed a guilty conscious for a second, then it was gone. Holly, however saw it.
'What? Foaly, you're hiding something, I can see it.'
'Well, you know those tracker dummies we set on Minerva?'
'The ones I expressly asked you not to?' The tracker dummies were robots that Foaly could set to track people. They had a constant video stream from the eyes, and could feed the images to underground. Crude, but efficient.
'Yes, those. Well, Minerva sussed out that there were following her. And she got worried. She called everyone she knew. Then she called Artemis.'
'Wow, she must have been desperate. From what I heard, she hates him now.'
'Yes. I think she was so scared she could put it aside. I think she had seen him at the scientific conference she was at. Anyway, she calls Artemis, Artemis goes into her apartment, and Artemis hasn't come out yet, and that was over 12 hours ago.'
'D'arvit,' said Mulch. 'From Hate to... Wow, the mud boy is good.'
Holly hit him efficiently on the ear. 'The apartment has two rooms. He could have stayed there. They might not have.'
'Well, he's there, so you might as well call both of them in. Meet them in Minerva's apartment, and tell them you're going. I don't want you to get the jump on them in something, um, embarrassing.'
Holly gave Foaly a quick death stare. She had grown quite close to her sister while she had been down in Haven. 'Right. Sign us out equipment, and we're off to the surface.' Holly pulled out her phone and called up Minerva, then went to a private place to make the call. This was one not meant for a room full of males.

Minerva's phone rang. It was Holly. Minerva was surprised. Why would Holly be calling her?
'Salut Holly. Why the call?'
'We need two genii. Foaly's worried about a dead man's mystery. Trouble, Mulch and I are coming up.'
'Well, if you need two, you have to call another. I am only one genius.'
'No need to pretend to be innocent. We know that Artemis spent the night in your apartment.'
'Can't I have any secrets?'
'No. What happened between you two?'
'I don't know. I just can't remember. I think he had a cup of tea, when I offered it to him, then, oh, I don't know. We remembered how we used to feel. And then I think that we had a glass of wine, then all I remember is waking up without my glasses or clothes and he was next to me in the same state. So it might have happened, but I'm not sure.'
'Okay. Well, keep him there, because Frond knows we could do with a couple of genii. See you in a few hours.'
'Right. Voyez-vous.'
Minerva hung up. She noticed the boy looking through a crack in the door.
'Martin Artemis. Tea?'
'No thanks. Morning to you too. What did Holly call you about?'
There was an odd sort of tension between them. As though they didn?t know what to do. Half of each wanted to run forward and start kissing madly. The other half knew that that was irrational behaviour and that they should remain simply as friends.
Minerva explained the situation. At the end, Artemis raised an eyebrow.
'Sounds like another wild goose chase.'
'Just like old times.' Minerva smiled. Just like when they were looking for the Angel, and it had turned out to be her. But she had a feeling that this would be much more sinister. If they were sending three people instead of one. Well, at least she would get something to baffle the mind. Not the challenge, but Artemis.
Last edited by minervaparadizo on Sat 14th Apr 2007, edited 1 time in total.
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

"What's that suposed to mean. A wolfs head on a stick Big wolf barbeque tonight. Bring your own wolf."
No 1. The Lost Colony

"Was Holly still clinging there, or was he alone now? for the first time in his life, truly alone. 'Fowl, open the door you pasty faced mud weasel!' Ah well, not alone then"

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Sun 8th Apr 2007

OMG. They DID IT??? Oh. My. God. I'm gonna hyperventilate. I wasn't ready for that. Not in a bad way. Omigod. OMIGOD!!!

This is gonna be awkward! I don't know how I should feel...I wanna read more about A/M. But I'm afraid of what's gonna happen...I don't want it to mess up the plot...

Who am I kidding? This is minervaparadizo!!! She NEVER messes plots up! I'm more of an A/M shipper!!!

WRITE MORE!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

dee_sequel
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by dee_sequel » Sun 8th Apr 2007

golly gee... i'm not gonna say anything, :unsure: but your writing style is still good. what is she mad at him about?

love the da vinci idea btw. ^_^
ATTENTION! for all Netherworlds readers, I am still updating on DA!
https://iesnoth.deviantart.com/gallery/

minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Post by minervaparadizo » Mon 9th Apr 2007

You'll have to find out why they fell out. It will be coming up.

BTW, I did warn that it was not for the light hearted. This one will be a bit more violent too.
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

No 1. The Lost Colony

minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Post by minervaparadizo » Mon 9th Apr 2007

Here you go, the next episode in the tragic action love story that is Da Vinci's Secret. This one isn't adult, but you need to have read the others to understand it, which are.

Minerva had initially thought that keeping Artemis there would have been difficult, but it was actually quite easy. Minerva had become a children?s novel writer by loosely basing plots around what had happened to her, to pay the bills. She had become a best seller, and had only needed to give Artemis a copy of one of her books, Diana and Athena, to keep him there.
By the time Holly, Trouble and Mulch arrived, Artemis had finished an entire trilogy of Minerva's works, and was starting on another series. Minerva saw the fairies before Artemis, because along with two species of monkeys and rats, full Angels could see through a fairy shield. Minerva greeted each of the fairies before they unshielded, or in Mulch's case, peeled of a shield suit of cam foil.
'Minerva,' greeted Holly, hugging her little sister. 'You sure have grown. One bad thing about having an Angel as a sister, they end up three feet taller than you.'
Minerva smiled, then greeted Trouble and Mulch, who she had met while she was underground. Artemis wondered in, greeting each of the fairies, then sat down at the table.
'We need a full briefing. We mere humans, or at least part humans, don't know what's going on.'
The fairies sat and explained about Leonardo Da Vinci's threat to the People, and how something was going on in his tomb in Saint Hubert Chapel, in Amboise. 'We need to go and investigate. We'll wait here until Minerva has done, her lecture, but...'
'No need,' interrupted the Angel. 'I've already given my talk. We can leave as soon as possible. I just need to pack a bag, and Artemis needs to pick up his. Then we can go to Amboise.'
'Right. Can you get a taxi to your hotel Artemis?'
'No problem,' he said, taking out his mobile and selecting a speed dial number.
Holly smiled. This was the way it was meant to be. Lots of magical creatures and a mudboy who was possibly in love with one of the magical creatures. But, Holly mused, Artemis may have kept that magic. Then they would just be a bunch of magical creatures.
Minerva was in her room packing. The apartment was permenatly hers, so there was no need to pack everything. Just a small, light bag. Minerva slid a pair of sharp sicsors into the bag. You never know.
'You still love him, don't you,' said Holly from the doorway. If Minerva was surprised, she hid it well.
'I may. Why is it a concern to you? It's not as if you do.' That was true. Holly couldn't give two hoots as to whether Minerva was with Artemis or not. She was just worried that Minerva would get hurt again.
No one there other than Minerva and Artemis knew what had happened on that day two and a half years ago. Minerva had just said to Holly that she had found something she would rather not have at Fowl Manor.
'I don't want to see you hurt again. We're family now. It's not just drawn together by tradgedy. You're my sister. And I can't get rid of that. So just think before acting.'
'No need to remind me,' muttered Minerva under her breath, dragging her bag out into the living room, which was next to the kitchen that Mulch was currently destroying. Holly was talking in a low voice with Trouble, so Minerva pulled out her laptop and began tapping away, continuing her report on Antimatter.
A small sound emitted from her phone, she answered and after a few seconds, hung up. 'Artemis says his mother has called him back to Ireland to pick up a parcel he had delviered. He says he'll be back in four hours.'
'Great,' moaned Mulch. 'More time to kill.'
Minerva considered for a few seconds, then went over to Holly. After drawing her away from Trouble, Minerva confided in her sister. 'I need a set of wings.'
'Why?'
'I want to know what Artemis is really planning. If I borrow the wings, I could get to the airport before him, and get into the plane by shielding.'
'Why don?t you just ask Foaly to track him?'
'I need to see for myself. I think I know what he's planning, and if it is, I need to know.'
Holly relented. 'Fine, but make sure no one sees you.' Minerva strapped on the wings, then quickly shielded out of the visable spectrum.

Inside the Lear Jet, Artemis was preparing for take off. He needed to test his theory and get back to London in only four hours, which didn't leave much time to spare. But this was a theory that needed testing. His fate could well depend on it.
But what about Minerva? He smiled at the thought of her. He couldn't help it. He didn?t know what love actually was but he had a feeling it was rather like this. He knew there would be tension, after what had happened, but he knew that he could break it and, if his theory stood true, there would be nothing fundementally wrong with a realtionship between them. He had been such an idiot all that time ago, and he had never been able to explain it to Minerva properly. But if he did ever get a quiet moment with her, he would explain.
Those eyes. So piercing, so strong, so beautiful. He would never get over those eyes. Not soon, not when he died. Those eyes would remain, to excite and terrify him. But then again, even though Artemis did not know it, that was exactly what Minerva thought about him.

So what is Artemis up to? Will he and Minerva ever admit their love? Will Minerva ever be able to act human again? You will find out in the next instalment.
Last edited by minervaparadizo on Sat 14th Apr 2007, edited 1 time in total.
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

No 1. The Lost Colony

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Mon 9th Apr 2007

Ah!!! UPDATE! NOW!!! This is an ORDER! Seriously mp, this is getting annoying. You are too s-l-o-w in updating! You're leaving me at the edge of my seat here!!!

For me, I have trouble finding a good, interesting plot. Like I can always fit the pieces, have no plotholes etc, but I can never find a REALLY interesting plot. I'm just always such a worrier in the quality of writing.

But your plot rules. It's seriously unique and really good! Update! ^_^

Athena
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Athena » Mon 9th Apr 2007

Okay once I finish squealing about chapter one.. Alright I really like it right more..
Sherlock Holmes is mine MINE! The computer or sewing machine or anybody who tries to take him will pay. Nah! Don't even think about it. I'm watching you, I'm watching you *beady eyes*

"Eddie Burger's Bum, Yum yum yum!"

~Lillie Gmail conversation last monday.

(I LOVE YOU LILLIEDOODLES!)

Yes I have peach children, you got a problem with that huh? They are about 2 weeks old now and they came from the grocery store, I even ate the peach part myself! They have names also, Lillie, Jayd, and Greggie now bug off! They are my babies and I love them all (but Greggie gets watered first ;) )

Artemis Fowl II
Gnome

More!!!

Post by Artemis Fowl II » Fri 13th Apr 2007

Please Im dying! Write faster cant u? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:twisted: Artemis Fowl II :twisted:
There is always a way to get your way when your way is the way you want to go. -Me

minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Post by minervaparadizo » Sat 14th Apr 2007

I tried to post this when the upgrades were being done, but it didn't work. So here you are, part four.
BTW, you can post the Da Vinci things in each part if you like.

Artemis landed and headed straight to Tara. He knew that he should try to choose another site, but it was the closest and easies to access. He checked that no one could see him.
He surreptitiously picked an acorn, then slid it and his fist into the earth. ‘I return you to the ground, and claim what is rightfully mine.’
Nothing, then...
Artemis felt it before he could see it. Magic. It surged upwards, towards his head, where it was stored. He became instantly stronger, feeling the power. Blue sparks covered him. He knew now. He had magic, and it was permanent.
Artemis hadn’t every tested this theory before, thinking that it was blasphemy toward the fairy law. But it was desperate times calling for desperate measures. He was now powerful, and most importantly, magical. Now he and Minerva were almost on a level playing field.
‘Fancy that,’ came a familiar voice. ‘A human with magical power. Stolen in a time tunnel, kept hidden, and now, renewed. Now all of the party are magical. We have two elves, a dwarf who can only speak in tongues, a human magic thief and an Angel. What a bunch of misfits.’
Artemis turned to see Minerva shimmer into the visible spectrum. She had followed him. No doubt going into the Lear jet in the three seconds that he had left the door open, waiting for the hydraulics to shut it.
‘Well, at least if the grave proves dangerous, I can heal myself.’
Minerva smiled. She pulled a tiny scalpel out of her pocket, showing it to him, then cutting her finger. ‘My power is different. This is a blade tainted with tansy, so I renew myself.’ An invisible force sucked in the drop of blood oozing from the wound. ‘I would explain the origin and everything like that that makes the Angels different, but we don’t have time.’
‘What gives you that impression? We have a two hour flight.’

Minerva sat in the co pilot’s seat, explaining her magical oddity to Artemis as he flew the plane.
‘The fairies say that if they come from any human place, it was Ireland. But the Angel is another matter. They are a cross breeding, utilising the magic humans once had and the power the fairies still retain. The human looks remain, however, and Angels don’t have the longevity that fairies enjoy. So I will remain, tall, human looking, and die when only about eighty.’
Artemis understood this. He had assumed that the human in the Angel’s system over took the fairy for appearance.
‘But the Angel was originally from England, so they have a different power renewal. The original Angel was actually called Tansy, like our old adversary. She was born in a bed of tansy, and received power from the plant, because it scratched her and let the herb into her bloodstream. From then on, all Angel’s power has come from tansy instead of acorns.’ Artemis understood. Minerva was a true magical being, where as he was a thief of magic. But Minerva was unique as to her methods of acquiring magic.
‘We’re only about thirty minutes to London. I suggest you rest. There’s a bed down the back, if you want it.’
Minerva shook her head. ‘I will stay awake and try to work out the riddle of Da Vinci.’ She took out a notebook, in which she had copied drawings of Da Vinci’s study of the horse. She began to write furiously.

Three hours later, Artemis and Minerva were flying on fairy wings to Saint Hubert’s chapel. They had arrived in London and left almost immediately, being flown. Minerva was allowed to fly by herself, so she clipped Artemis onto a new Moon belt that transferred her vibration of shielding to Artemis with no extra effort. The skimmed over the channel, and were now barely ten minutes from the chapel. Minerva was an expert flyer, just like her sister.
They arrived at the chapel, all hiding behind a tree to unshield. Artemis had not yet gotten over the innovation of the new Moon belt. ‘That is fantastic,’ he muttered.
Minerva, however, was being more practical. She took off the wings, put on a serious face and instructed everyone who could shield to do so. Mulch was clipped onto Trouble’s belt, so he disappeared too. There was only Minerva and Artemis visible.
Minerva muttered to follow her, then walked off to the chapel’s door and knocked. An old lady walked out.
‘Excuse me,’ said Minerva in perfect French, which was fair enough, seeing as she had lived there all her life. ‘Can we come in? We wish to pay our respects to Mr Da Vinci.’
‘Oh yes,’ replied the lady, delighted. ‘Do come in.’ Minerva smiled. An invitation.
The party were led around the chapel until they reached a marble grave with a name in gold on it.
‘Leonardo Da Vinci,’ announced the woman. ‘One of the greatest humans to walk this earth.’ Minerva smiled serenely.
‘May we have a moment alone?’
‘Mais Oui. I will be in the organ chamber if you need me.’
Minerva and Artemis bent over the grave, searching for a loose tile. Artemis found one in twenty seconds. ‘Look,’ he called. Minerva glanced over at the organ chamber. It was incredibly solid and definitely not see-through. But not soundproof either.
‘She’ll here us. We have to come back tonight.’ Artemis nodded. Back to planning.
‘We’ll go to a hotel, pretend that we are just tourists, then come back at midnight. How does that sound?’
‘Good.’ Minerva turned, smiled at the lady, then said, ‘Come Pierre, we must get dinner.’
Artemis smiled. Minerva Paradizo (or was it Short?), the ultimate female child prodigy.
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

No 1. The Lost Colony

Artemis Fowl II
Gnome

Yay!

Post by Artemis Fowl II » Sat 14th Apr 2007

Hurry up! Im impatient!!!!!

:twisted: Artemis Fowl II :twisted:

minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Post by minervaparadizo » Sat 14th Apr 2007

Okay, i'm going to try to update daily now, so I don't leave you in terrible suspence by going back to school like I did with Angels. So here it is.

Minerva booked three rooms in the Crown hotel in Amboise, and was sitting on her bed with a large physics manual, going through and correcting the mistakes. Her long blonde hair curtained her face. Again, Artemis had to shake himself. “Why would she want you?” he asked himself.
The two were sharing a room with two single beds, with Holly and Trouble in a conjoined room and Mulch in one all to himself. The supper room service was still to arrive, and Artemis felt hunger clawing at his stomach. ‘Our last supper,’ Minerva had joked after ordering.
Minerva looked up and caught Artemis looking at her. ‘Yes?’
Artemis woke himself from his daze. ‘Nothing. Just wondering who would make so many mistakes in a physics manual.’
Minerva put her head on one side, looking at him. ‘Artemis, what happened to Butler?’
‘He retired. Said I was too much trouble. I went legit, so he no longer saw any threats.’
‘You know, Artemis, you never bothered to humour me with an explanation as to what I saw at Fowl Manor.’
This was just the opportunity Artemis had been hoping for. This was his one chance to win back Minerva’s favour. ‘Well, as you know, there was...’ Someone knocked at the door. It was the room service man.
‘A latte and Earl Grey tea with the chocolate biscuits?’ Minerva nodded, took the tray and paid the man.
‘Never mind,’ she said, placing her coffee on the small table by her bed. ‘I need to finish this.’ Artemis felt crushed. The one chance and it was ruined by a member of hotel staff.
‘Are you sure about the plan?’
‘Certain. Now if you don’t mind, I need to finish this.’
Artemis had always known when to shut up, and this was when.

Holly had been in a relationship with Trouble Kelp for three years. He knew everything there was to know about her. And he could tell when she was worried. ‘What’s wrong?’ he asked, sitting down next to her on the bed. He wrapped an arm around her shoulder. She turned to him, her big hazel eyes, just like her sister’s, looking into his.
‘It’s Minerva. I think she might have fallen for Artemis again.’ Trouble was surprised. He thought it was great that Minerva was finally nearly back with Artemis. They belonged together. He thought it was sweet.
‘Don’t worry about her. She’s eighteen now. She can make her own choices.’
Holly blinked. ‘I guess so.’ Trouble kissed her on the cheek. Holly smiled. If there was one perk to this saving the world thing, it was working with Trouble. She wasn’t sure, but if she had to choose now, she would have picked Trouble to spend her life with. She was genuinely surprised then, when Trouble asked her that exact question, flipping the lid of a small velvet covered box and revealing the gold and diamond ring inside.
She looked up at him. He was a few centimetres taller than her, but that didn’t matter. She kissed him lovingly on the mouth. That was all the answer he needed.

Three hours later, the whole gang were on the roof of Saint Hubert’s chapel. Holly and Trouble were using their Neutrinos to burn through the tiles of the roof. Mulch was particularly annoyed. He had been bored in his room with no one to talk to, and now he was on top of a roof, not the best place for a dwarf.
‘Right, we’re through,’ said Holly into her mike. Everyone was wearing a helmet, and Artemis and Mulch were both clipped onto a vibrating Moon belt. They made their way down through the rafters, Minerva, Holly and Trouble all with wings, and Artemis clipped onto Minerva, Mulch clipped onto Trouble. In three seconds, they were back on the ground. Minerva was quick to unshield and pull off her helmet, then immediately knelt and found the loose tile. Unfortunately, she hadn’t unclipped Artemis before kneeling, and the quick motion caused him to be jerked to the floor in a roll, bowling Minerva over and causing them to spin together for a few metres. Holly rolled her eyes and left them to sort themselves out. She knelt and, with Trouble’s help, pulled up the tile. There was earth underneath.
By then, Minerva and Artemis had stood up, unclipped, muttered quick apologies, then returned to where Holly and Trouble were. Minerva smiled. This was part of the plan she and Artemis had come up with that stood mostly on chance. If the tiles were held down by something stronger, then they were stuffed. Back to the drawing board.
‘Mulch, you’re the expert,’ said Holly, stepping back and letting him sniff the dirt.
‘Fairly good. Fresh too. If you get a big enough hole, I’ll be able to go straight through.’ Holly nodded. They began pulling up more and more tiles, eventually making a hole big enough to fit a decent sized human through. Mulch stepped into the centre of the dirt patch, testing with his toes. ‘Remember; spread the recycling around, so we can follow. We don’t want to have to dig,’ said Trouble. Mulch nodded, then dived into the soil, going in circles to dig a hole big enough for Artemis and Minerva. Holly pulled her helmet back on. ‘I advise you activate the seals, and only use the air in the helmet. And wear the gloves,’ Holly handed everyone a pair of gloves, to avoid actually touching the sides. Holly and Trouble went first; having fired a piton into the roof then lowered themselves down using the winch on Holly’s belt. New came Minerva and Artemis. He reattached himself to her belt, the she fired a piton into roughly the same spot as her sister.
‘Can you still see them down there?’ she asked, using the comm system of the helmets to talk. Artemis poked his head down the hole.
‘No sign.’ He activated the lights. Still no Holly and Trouble. ‘They must have gotten low enough to find what we thought was there.’
Minerva smiled. ‘Excellent,’ she said, and jumped into the hole.
Free fall is an interesting experience. Artemis was one of those people who did not enjoy it. And it was even more unpleasant when he hadn’t been expecting it. All he had time to do was grab onto Minerva’s side before he began the inevitable drop. He had expected the winch to kick in by the third second, but Minerva had loosened it before hand. All he could do was clutch to Minerva as though she was a lifeline.
After seven seconds, the winch kicked in, and just in time too. The bottom of the tunnel was only a metre below them. Artemis noticed that he was holing on tightly to Minerva’s shoulders, hugging her close. Embarrassed, he let go.
When they hit the ground, Minerva unclipped the piton and activated her lights. She could see a secondary tunnel off to the right, at the end of which were the three fairies. Both humans, or at least partial humans, bent double to go down the tunnel.
‘What is it?’ asked Minerva when she arrived. Holly held up an oddly shaped object. Minerva took it and held it up for Artemis to see. He breathed in sharply.
‘Is that a Crytex?’
‘A what?’ asked Mulch.
‘It was used in the Da Vinci Code, the book. It’s a puzzle. You have to spell the five-letter word correctly to open in. You cannot force entry, there’s a vial of vinegar in the centre, and if you break it, the vinegar will leak out and the message, which is written on parchment, will dissolve. I thought it didn’t exist, but maybe Dan Brown did know a thing or two. Apparently Da Vinci had a design for it, but I didn’t think that it was actually made.’
Minerva glanced around at the fairies. She had understood the speech perfectly. ‘I think I know the word,’ she said. Everyone turned on her. She slid the rings around until one word showed on the dial. She pressed a small button on the side. The word was right. She took out the parchment, then showed everyone the word. They all gasped. For written on the dial was a word that boded ill for all of them.
ANGEL.

Plz R&R. This is the first one with some real H/T
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

No 1. The Lost Colony

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Sat 14th Apr 2007

More A/M!!! PLEASE! And lol, this could be a Da Vinci Code fan fic :D

minervaparadizo
LEPrecon Officer

Post by minervaparadizo » Sun 15th Apr 2007

This isn't really Da Vinci code, because it has a different storyline and different plots. But I do nick a few things here and there, yes. Don't we all. As for A/M, there is a big A/M finish, but I'll add in more, just for you III Prodigy.

Everyone’s eyes were on Minerva as she looked at the scroll of parchment in her hand. Finally, she read it out loud. ‘So you are an Angel, the person of great power. But your power is not enough. Soon this world will be gone, all because of you opening this. The needle will spin, the bonds will be severed. The place of worship will cause the destruction beneath the red line.’
Everyone was silent. This wasn’t just bad, it was terrible. Da Vinci had somehow known there was an Angel, and he had planned in advance. The activity in the grave must have been caused by the random power surges that had hoped for freedom, and now Minerva had unleashed them. She couldn’t be blamed, but there was a question on everyone’s mind. What was going to happen?
‘The needle will spin,’ Artemis muttered to himself. This had puzzled both genii. What that could possibly mean.
‘Maybe they mean like a compass. Needles of compasses spin.’
‘The place of worship will cause the destruction at the end of the red line,’ Holly said, mulling it over. Minerva muttered the same thing in French, slipping into her first language. ‘L'endroit du culte causera la destruction à l'extrémité de la ligne rosé’
It was natural enough. The fairies didn’t notice, because their gift of tongues meant that the French sounded like Gnomish as soon as the patterns reached their brain. But for Artemis, there was a relapse before his brain worked it out. It was less then a second, but it was enough. ‘Rosé.’ The French word for red. But something else stuck in Artemis’ brain. He had been all around the world, but there was one place he had never forgotten. ‘Saint-Sulpice,’ then louder, as he realised, ‘Of course! Saint-Sulpice! The red line. The rose line! The place of worship. Minerva, you are truley a genius!’ He breifly kissed her on the lips. Minerva features showed surprise for a split second, then her eyes widened. ‘Of course! The note itself is in French. He meant to baffle people who just translated into English. But he meant the rose line!’ She and Artemis hugged , as if to apreciate their combined genius, but broke away quickly, both of them blushing.
‘We should go. We could be discovered at any time here. We’ll explain the whole thing back at the hotel.’ After Mulch had refixed the tunnel and they had replaced the tiles, they were back to the hotel. Minerva noticed that Artemis seemed a little less tense at having to cling to her side now.

Once back at the hotel, Holly placed her helmet on the table in the room she shared with Trouble, where the whole team were assembled. Foaly broadcasted a live image of himself from underground. Holly made the initial report.
‘We went this afternoon to Saint Hubert’s chapel to investigate the grave of Leonardo Da Vinci. Minerva and Artemis got us permission to enter. While there, we found a loose tile, then returned here. Minerva and Artemis then formeda plan in which Mulch would dig a tunnel and we would follow and try to work out what was causing the detected activity. We found and item which the genii identified as being a crytex, one of Da Vinci’s ideas. Minerva worked out the password, and we got the message inside.’
‘So what did the message say?’ asked Foaly.
Holly motioned for Minerva to continue. ‘I think the second most disturbing thing was the password.’
‘I think it would be third. The most disturbing thing was when Artemis kissed her,’ muttered Mulch under his breath.
‘What was the password?’ asked Foaly.
‘Angel.’
The single word that could rock a nation. Foaly’s eyes widened. ‘You mean...’
‘Yes,’ said Trouble. ‘He knew.’
‘But then something even more disturbing happened.’ Minerva read out the note. Foaly was unable to work it out. ‘The red line. The rosé line.’
‘You mean the rose line that goes through Saint-Sulpice?’
Artemis spoke for the first time. ‘Yes. I worked it out, because Minerva said the phrase in French. I picked up on rosé, then we had it all worked out and decided to return.’
‘I suggest we go straight to Paris in the morning and find what exactly is under the rose line. Then my mind can be at peace when this is all over. We should stay for the time being though. We need to get properly rested.’ Minerva was issuing orders as though she had been born with a sign on her head that said Commander.
‘Okay,’ everyone headed off to their rooms, except Minerva, who remained with her sister. Trouble had gone off for a quick flight, and Holly would have gone with him had her sister not been there.
‘That’s a new ring. Am I right in thinking that you and Trouble have become even more serious?’ Holly blushed. She’d been hoping that she would tell her sister about the engagement before she worked it out. Evidently, her plan wasn’t going to work.
‘Yes. He asked me earlier tonight. I love him, Minerva. I wish you could be as happy as me. It feels like nothing weighs anything, like I can fly!’ Minerva raised a sceptical eyebrow, but this was for show. She felt exactly what Holly was explaining every time she was near Artemis. If only she knew why he had...
No, that was in the past. No need to dwell on it. She could ignore him for a night, surely.

When Minerva returned to the room, Artemis was not there, but according to the note he had left on a table, he was visiting Mulch. Minerva took advantage of this and had a quick shower, wrapping herself in a towel and finishing her correction of the Physics manual. She perched herself on the edge of her bed. I really should use a towelling robe, she thought to herself. She checked the door, turning her back to it, then quickly removed the towel and replaced it with the robe. There were only about three seconds in which she wasn’t wearing anything, but as usual, someone opened the door at the wrong time.

Artemis unlocked the door after ten minutes of asking Mulch about his business and what was happening belowground. He didn’t both knocking, it was, after all, his room. But he forgot that he was sharing it with Minerva. Just as he opened the silent door, he got an excellent view of Minerva’s bare back. The high bed she was standing behind covered her up to her thighs, but otherwise, he had a room with a view.
He tried not to gasp at her beauty, merely standing there with his mouth open. The back was tanned as a result of spending countless days in the Southern French sun. Her spine was subtle, her round shoulder blades moving as she pulled a towelling robe over herself. Her arms were, he knew from experience, much stronger than they looked, soft and slim, but underneath muscly. He noticed her damp blonde hair and realised that she must have had a shower. He tried not to look, but she was too captivating. Then she began to turn.
Artemis reprimanded himself silently, closing the door quickly and waiting a few seconds before pretending to turn the key and re-enter. She was by then lying on her bed, again correcting her Physics manual. She turned her head and nodded in recognition. It was icy cold recognition though. Plainly she’d been thinking about what she’d seen in Fowl Manor two and a half years ago.
Artemis changed into his sleepwear (in the bathroom), then sat on his bed, pretending to sleep. Minerva had reduced her lighting to small globes in the frame of her glasses. But instead of sleeping, he was actually looking at her profile. Again, her beauty astounded him. He always noticed, but when looking only at her, he noticed everything. The thick, cherub lips, the shining hazel eyes, the subtle lines, the curly hair. If there was one individual thing about Minerva, it was her hair. It had darkened a little since they had first met, but it was still unique. Most boys would have thought of it as unattractive, all messy and curled. But to him, it was her crowning glory. If there was one thing he wanted before he died, it would be to run his fingers through that hair, just like he had once before, when he and Minerva had kissed before she had left him for the first time. If only he had actually kissed her before, in the tunnel. He almost had, but he had been to cowardly.
He looked out the window at a passing helicopter, then he thought of something that he had never forgotten but had never said since she had left. When he was sure she was asleep, he went over to her bed and smoothed her hair, kissed her on the head and muttered a single word into her ear.
What the word was? Well, you can find that out later on.

R&R, ppls. R&R
'Whatever.'
Minerva, The Lost Colony

No 1. The Lost Colony