The Rumor Is False!

Which actors would you like to cast? What do you want to see? What would you do if you were the director?
OliverWoodsgirl223
LEP Recruit
Location: Off to Ninja Training camp! (Then I'm off to fight Gaara!)

Re: The Rumor Is False!

Post by OliverWoodsgirl223 » Mon 18th Aug 2008

T.T I hate being kept in the dark...we should like, write to Miramax, Summit Entertainment and/or other producing companies and tell them to MOVE THEIR SORRY HINEYS OVER TO THE SETS AND MAKE THE FREAKIN' MOVIE!!! RAWRAWR! *Chibi OWG bites a random person's head off* :shock: Sorry...didn't have my coffee or my meds yet today... :o
Member of ShojoKissPros. Look us up on Deviantart: www.shojokisspros.deviantart.com

Nanet Fowl
Gnome

Post by Nanet Fowl » Sat 30th Aug 2008

Oh my god. It's too long we're waiting for the AF movie. It's 2008 and we don't know anything more than at the beginning. Still false rumours ....
Does the trailer exist or the movie is planned to come out the nex year?

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sun 31st Aug 2008

Nanet Fowl wrote:Oh my god. It's too long we're waiting for the AF movie. It's 2008 and we don't know anything more than at the beginning. Still false rumours ....

I don't know if I haven't made this clear, or what, but No. They haven't shot any footage (They generally don't make a trailer until the movie is almost done), they haven't chosen a release date (my best guess would be sometime during the spring or summer of 2010 or 2011, as I'll explain below), and they don't even have a script yet (they generally don't do anything with a movie until there's a script).

My guess is 2011, because if you give Colfer a few more months to finish the script (it is him writing it, that's one of the few things we know for sure), it will be 2009. And most of you guys seem to be under the impression that they start filming the second they finish the script, but that's not even close to true. After the script is done, they scout locations, then they do principal photography (taking pictures of the area), then they have to do concept art of the props, and design each costume (each of these things could take many many tries, and this process could take a very long time), then they have to choose a cast, then storyboard each scene (which involves drawing a detailed picture of what each shot will look like), then they have to set up each set and camera to match that picture. Then comes shooting, which could take months or even years depending on the length and quality of the film (for example, each scene has to be done several or even dozens of times before they get it right). Then comes editing, which involves them putting together the clips, adding special effects, making sure the best takes go in. Then, there's Foley work, which is making sounds that sound like the things that happen on screen and putting them in the right place so that you can hear footsteps or a car driving by or any other sound in a movie when you watch the movie. Then, there's marketing. Each promo needs a lot of work and editing, and then maybe a year before the movie comes out, they'll put the first trailer in theaters, then a couple months later it'll work its way onto TV, and then they set a release date for when they think it'll be done. Then, they get to work on all the things like Toys and Costumes and other promotional items that will need to be released a couple of weeks before the movie. Then, the movie comes out. This process could take years. 2009 is not realistic, and 2010 is looking far-fetched.

Honestly, I've accepted the fact that this movie is in Development hell (which is what they call it when the development of movies have been pushed back for what seems like an eternity), and I've come to terms with the fact that there may never be an AF movie. Once you come to terms with that possibility, if there ever is a movie, you'll be twice as excited for it.

I just thought you all ought to know that with the movie at the stage it's at now, you would probably have to wait two or three years for a movie, if there ever is one.

Captain Short 711
Centaur Genius

Post by Captain Short 711 » Sun 7th Sep 2008

isn't it coming out middle 2009? thats what i heard.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sun 7th Sep 2008

Captain Short 711 wrote:isn't it coming out middle 2009? thats what i heard.

P5YCHIC wrote:
Nanet Fowl wrote:Oh my god. It's too long we're waiting for the AF movie. It's 2008 and we don't know anything more than at the beginning. Still false rumours ....

I don't know if I haven't made this clear, or what, but No. They haven't shot any footage (They generally don't make a trailer until the movie is almost done), they haven't chosen a release date (my best guess would be sometime during the spring or summer of 2010 or 2011, as I'll explain below), and they don't even have a script yet (they generally don't do anything with a movie until there's a script).

My guess is 2011, because if you give Colfer a few more months to finish the script (it is him writing it, that's one of the few things we know for sure), it will be 2009. And most of you guys seem to be under the impression that they start filming the second they finish the script, but that's not even close to true. After the script is done, they scout locations, then they do principal photography (taking pictures of the area), then they have to do concept art of the props, and design each costume (each of these things could take many many tries, and this process could take a very long time), then they have to choose a cast, then storyboard each scene (which involves drawing a detailed picture of what each shot will look like), then they have to set up each set and camera to match that picture. Then comes shooting, which could take months or even years depending on the length and quality of the film (for example, each scene has to be done several or even dozens of times before they get it right). Then comes editing, which involves them putting together the clips, adding special effects, making sure the best takes go in. Then, there's Foley work, which is making sounds that sound like the things that happen on screen and putting them in the right place so that you can hear footsteps or a car driving by or any other sound in a movie when you watch the movie. Then, there's marketing. Each promo needs a lot of work and editing, and then maybe a year before the movie comes out, they'll put the first trailer in theaters, then a couple months later it'll work its way onto TV, and then they set a release date for when they think it'll be done. Then, they get to work on all the things like Toys and Costumes and other promotional items that will need to be released a couple of weeks before the movie. Then, the movie comes out. This process could take years. 2009 is not realistic, and 2010 is looking far-fetched.

Honestly, I've accepted the fact that this movie is in Development hell (which is what they call it when the development of movies have been pushed back for what seems like an eternity), and I've come to terms with the fact that there may never be an AF movie. Once you come to terms with that possibility, if there ever is a movie, you'll be twice as excited for it.

I just thought you all ought to know that with the movie at the stage it's at now, you would probably have to wait two or three years for a movie, if there ever is one.

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Mon 3rd Nov 2008

The movie is probably going to be out sometime in 2009-2011. Face it, they don't prioritize the Arty movie. Currently there are too many people begging for the Twilight movie and the rest of the Harry Potter movies etc. etc. Arty isn't as big as a fad as it used to be. So let's not get our hopes up and go like "YAAAY THIS YEAR THIS YEAR", because then you'll jinx us and it'll be like "Nooooooooooooooooooo, we have to wait longer!"

Okay?
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Wed 5th Nov 2008

Hate to break it to everyone, but Artemis Fowl was never that huge a fad... It's great, but it was never really all that popular.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Wed 5th Nov 2008

That's true. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the movie shouldn't get made. Lots of less popular books come out as movies relatively quickly... although it's clear Artemis Fowl won't be one of them.

Also, seeing as it's a different company that owns the right to AF than owns the rights to either Twilight or HP, those movies have nothing to do with it. It seems to me that they just wanted the possiblilty of making an AF movie, but they don't really care one way or the other.

So yeah, at the earliest, 2011. But it's equally likely that it'll never happen.

artymon

Post by artymon » Tue 18th Nov 2008

Y'know, I'm almost afraid of a movie. I mean, I look back at all of the best books that were made into movies, and I see a golden work by a brilliant author and this...movie that completely destroys the legacy of series.
Look at Stephen King's It.
Harry Potter (prime example)
ANY BOOK-INTO-MOVIE
But, I would still want to see it all the same. Last I heard, they were having a dispute over CGI or live action shots.
I think they had a script done, but they may have re-done it...
I had actually seen a couple fan made (duh) trailers a couple weeks ago for who was going to be who, and they said Halle Berry for Holly, and I just thought, "Wait, they're going to have some 40-year old woman start kissing with a 12-year old?!?!?!?!"
Well, not '12' more like '18' depending on how their filming goes...
However, I am blessed with being an Indiana Jones fan, so I can wait for all eternity, if necessary (I needed a new MacGuffin anyhow).

artysgirl
LEP Recruit

Post by artysgirl » Thu 4th Dec 2008

ehem...let me tell u something....2008 is over!!!!!!!
ANDN O MOVIE!!
Captain HollyShort

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 4th Dec 2008

Look, people. I quote P5YCHIC.

First, they have to write the script, which takes a really long time.

Then, they have to make the costumes, cast a crew, scout out locations, take pictures of locations, compare which would be better for every scene, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Mid-2009 is not realistic.

Plus, this movie is not the biggest priority on the list.

And also, Arty was never that big of a fad.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Fri 5th Dec 2008

Since Eoin Colfer is also now involved in a Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy sequel, he'll likely have less time for movie-related stuff too. I wouldn't expect anything before 2012.

artymon

Post by artymon » Fri 5th Dec 2008

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I just remembered something:
For about what, 10 years or so, the biggest franchise thing was Harry Potter, yes? But, they are almost done with it, the sixth has came out (I think; I don't really watch the movies), and they are nearing an end.....
What book-into-movie are they trying to shove down our throats now?
Twilight.
I now people here are avid Twilight readers and what not, I'm not knocking Twilight at all (considering I've never read them anyway and wouldn't have any right to...). But look at it like this: after HP is done, these movie guys are gonna want to cover their @$$es with a new/fresh series to make into movies. Twilight was selected, after Twilight, it may be Artemis Fowl.
But, um, people? It was nearly TWENTY FREAKING YEARS before they made the forth Indy movie, so we can see, movies in the Devil's den take some time to sort out....
Just have some patience, you know, it took about 10 years before any of Ian Fleming's James Bond books were made into movies? Just think how big James Bond is today! Imagine, in the next ten years, we might get Artemis Fowl.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Fri 5th Dec 2008

artymon wrote::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I just remembered something:
For about what, 10 years or so, the biggest franchise thing was Harry Potter, yes? But, they are almost done with it, the sixth has came out (I think; I don't really watch the movies), and they are nearing an end.....
What book-into-movie are they trying to shove down our throats now?
Twilight.
I now people here are avid Twilight readers and what not, I'm not knocking Twilight at all (considering I've never read them anyway and wouldn't have any right to...). But look at it like this: after HP is done, these movie guys are gonna want to cover their @$$es with a new/fresh series to make into movies. Twilight was selected, after Twilight, it may be Artemis Fowl.
But, um, people? It was nearly TWENTY FREAKING YEARS before they made the forth Indy movie, so we can see, movies in the Devil's den take some time to sort out....
Just have some patience, you know, it took about 10 years before any of Ian Fleming's James Bond books were made into movies? Just think how big James Bond is today! Imagine, in the next ten years, we might get Artemis Fowl.

Problem is, all these movies are made by different production companies. Disney and Miramax don't produce any of them, and they have the rights to AF. They aren't tied up with a big book-to-movie series now, the problem is that the script isn't finished.

artysgirl
LEP Recruit

Post by artysgirl » Sat 6th Dec 2008

hey...weit...ok ok let's see...HP comes out like in 2000 right?
and twilight comes out hmmmm...2005?? noo 2006...right?
yeah we agree then artemis comes out like a after HP and before twilight so................................................. what r they waiting 4?????
i think they aren't moving....so don't try to cover them!
Captain HollyShort