What is the FACT of the movie we know now?

Which actors would you like to cast? What do you want to see? What would you do if you were the director?
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Re: What is the FACT of the movie we know now?

Post by p5ychic » Sun 22nd Mar 2009

ArtemisFowlfan96 wrote:NOOOO!!! They can't do that!!! And it has to be live, NOT CGI. Or else. And, how would they do that?! One day, he's evil, the next, he helps take down Goblins. And he goes against Butler's orders, and goes into the tunnel to help? Nuh-uh. No way. Besides. Wouldn't they make more money, doing both films seperate?

The version of P5 You're about to see is a Marketer.

Odds are, they'll be doing it in CGI: here's why. If it's CGI, then in 10 years the special effects won't look cheesy, because the whole movie is special effects. Also, CGI is more appealing to children, who they'll probably be marketing it to. I know that a good portion of fans are us Tweens, Teens, and adults (We love you, Darvit!), marketing a movie towards children is a much bigger money-maker. Think about it, if you're a teenager, then you're going to want to go see the movie with your friends. That's one group of about five. If you're a child, you're going to see the movie with your parents. All your friends are going to see the movie with parents. So, if you're a child, instead of going to the movie in one group of (let's say) 5, you and your friends will each be going in groups of two to three or more (depending on how many siblings you have), which means instead of selling 5 tickets, you'll sell 15 or more tickets.

Plus, a CGI movie has a bigger chance of winning an oscar. Think about it, most kids' movies don't get nominated in the oscars. However, there is a whole category for Animated movies. And since there are less animated movies released in theaters per year, any given animated movie has a better chance of winning an Oscar.

And on the subject of them squishing the two movies together, I would think they would have to do it. Think about it this way. If they make a movie out of just one book, and fans hate it, the odds of them doing a second movie are slim. The problem with this is, while within the series Artemis is a Dynamic character who changes for the better, within the first book alone, Artemis is a static character, who shows no change throughout the book. Which means, if they make only the first movie and don't get to make the second one, then they don't get to show Artemis changing. Artemis's changing is one of the major themes of the series, and without it, you can't really have a movie representative of the series.

Surely you all agree with me that you can't have an Artemis Fowl movie that doesn't have him at least starting to change. That's what the Arctic Incident had, was him starting to make the transition from Villain to Anti-hero.

Now, you all probably remember the Lemony Snicket movie. Since the box office sales weren't too great, they didn't continue the movie series. If this happened to Artemis Fowl, and they didn't squish the movies together, then we wouldn't get to see Artemis Change at all, and he would end up less of a 3 dimensional character.

But if they do squish it together, Artemis is shown as a dynamic character, one who changes over the course of the story. Then, if they do continue, great! If they don't, then they already showed the change in Artemis's character.

Also, whether or not they can make more money with two movies depends on how good the first movie is. If a movie's not successful, you not only don't make money, you actually lose it. So if they make one movie and it sucks, then make a second movie, odds are they'll lose money on it. It's much easier to make one movie out of two books, then see where they're going from there.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Sat 29th Aug 2009

I wonder if Eoin comes to this site at all? Anyway, I think that they should make the movie in all three versions. While there at it, they could make a tv serries. I see what you are saying, but the fans won't like a movie squish. I think that they should make the movie to the book. He did ask Holly to heal his mother in the first book, so that will add some depth to him. Anyway, one of the things that makes Artemis Fowl so great is that its protagonist is a bad guy, that we like, and he wins. How much cooler can that be. As far as I know, no other literary book or movie has captured that effect, which is was makes Artemis Fowl genious. I think that it would be cool if Artemis had a cool bad guy song(if only for the animated version. Honestly, they have made some really catchy bad guy songs before. I recommend John Williams.). Also, I think that a movie, deserves music videos. I recommend the Cranberries and Celtic Woman. Let's have a show of hands, who here thinks that a good Artemis Fowl Music video would be cool.
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sun 30th Aug 2009

Visorak16 wrote:I wonder if Eoin comes to this site at all? Anyway, I think that they should make the movie in all three versions. While there at it, they could make a tv serries. I see what you are saying, but the fans won't like a movie squish. I think that they should make the movie to the book. He did ask Holly to heal his mother in the first book, so that will add some depth to him. Anyway, one of the things that makes Artemis Fowl so great is that its protagonist is a bad guy, that we like, and he wins. How much cooler can that be. As far as I know, no other literary book or movie has captured that effect, which is was makes Artemis Fowl genious. I think that it would be cool if Artemis had a cool bad guy song(if only for the animated version. Honestly, they have made some really catchy bad guy songs before. I recommend John Williams.). Also, I think that a movie, deserves music videos. I recommend the Cranberries and Celtic Woman. Let's have a show of hands, who here thinks that a good Artemis Fowl Music video would be cool.

I have liked and will continue to like some book squishes. I ADORE the Lemony Snicket movie.

And as to your "No Character has ever been a bad guy who you want to win" point, what about Dexter? The guy's a serial killer, except the books and TV show both make you really hope he can keep on doing his terrible acts and not get caught.

And I already made an AF music video, it's on this site. I'll make another one someday, though.

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Sun 30th Aug 2009

Also re your "no one else makes a bad guy you want to win" point: apparently you've never seen Dr. Horrible.

There are books and movies like that out there, they're just more rare than the type that have a hero and a bad guy and you want the hero to win.

Of course, in Dr. Horrible, the hero...*steals self for saying this* is not that great a guy.
Good character, definitely; good guy, no.
Also, it depends on your definition of "bad guy."
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Sun 30th Aug 2009

I love Dr. Horrible(the movie, I like Dr. Horrible the character). It's really cool. I didn't think that he really won, or at least not completly.
@ P5What movie are you talking about? The only Dexter I know of is on Dexter's Laboratory. I doubt that many people would root for Artemis if he was a serial killer. I like the lemony snicket movie too. The nice thing about the movie was that it had an extremely better ending than, The End. Those books were small, and I could understand a movie squish with them. I just don't think that a squish of the two Artemis Fowl books would work very well. The first book can stand alone by itself, it's not like a serries of books. Each of the books has it's own story line, not a continuing story line. All I can say is, that if they do make a squish, then they had better do the rest of the serries. What is more disapointing than the first book getting done and not the rest?

ps, where would I find those music vidoes? I am still pretty new to the site, and I spend most of my time in the RP section.

carino
Council Member

The fact is not whether he won, it's whether you wanted him to win.
Or, from Oryx and Crake. Crake kills everybody, but I still love him for it because he's a genius character. Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West? Awesome philosophical moments, and though Elphie doesn't make the right decisions always...you care about her.
Most things that are really good actually have you rooting for the "bad guys", it seems. :) Maybe that's because those are the books that develop the bad guys to the point where they actually have a character, and I can relate to them.
Ok, that's bad. I'm gonna be a villain when I grow up, apparently. XD

I am glad to find another Horrible fan, though.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Sun 30th Aug 2009

I'm not saying that a villian for a protagonist is something new, but one that you want to win, and one that does win, without a lot of people dying, is something that I have only seen in Artemis Fowl. For instance, I like MacBeth, it's a great play. The main character used to be good, but then goes bad. You still empathize with him, but eventually aren't too sad to see him die at the end.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Sun 30th Aug 2009

Visorak16 wrote:I love Dr. Horrible(the movie, I like Dr. Horrible the character). It's really cool. I didn't think that he really won, or at least not completly.
@ P5What movie are you talking about? The only Dexter I know of is on Dexter's Laboratory. I doubt that many people would root for Artemis if he was a serial killer. I like the lemony snicket movie too. The nice thing about the movie was that it had an extremely better ending than, The End. Those books were small, and I could understand a movie squish with them. I just don't think that a squish of the two Artemis Fowl books would work very well. The first book can stand alone by itself, it's not like a serries of books. Each of the books has it's own story line, not a continuing story line. All I can say is, that if they do make a squish, then they had better do the rest of the serries. What is more disapointing than the first book getting done and not the rest?

ps, where would I find those music vidoes? I am still pretty new to the site, and I spend most of my time in the RP section.

Dexter is a series of books and a TV show about a Blood Spatter Analyst for the Miami Police who also happens to be a serial killer. And even though he's a pure evil monster with no emotions, you still don't want him to get caught, you want him to kill the other serial killers (his MO is that he only kills other serial killers). He's a bad guy who's the protagonist at the story, and even though his only purpose in life is to kill, you still want him to win.

carino
Council Member

Ah, well you left out the "without a lot of people dying" thing at first. :P
But I still maintain that Dr. Horrible fits your standards. Penny was the only one to die.

I was sad that MacBeth died. He was so cool! That's probably my favorite Shakespeare play.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Mon 31st Aug 2009

He was cool, but he didn't win.
I know that girls probably like the ending better than guys do. True, she was an idiot, but Dr. Horrible still loved her, in his own way. I don't think that he was all the way happy at the end.

codeblackrose
LEPrecon Officer

Post by codeblackrose » Tue 1st Sep 2009

Okay. The fact?

The fact is, those stupid film-makers procrastinate so much they should start a procrastinators' club.
There.
What? I am so not psycho.

ImageImageImage

~Helen Raspberrih, Team Holly!

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Thu 3rd Sep 2009

One of the reasons it takes so long is the limited amount of hours a kid is allowed to "work". There's also all the legal stuff. Hopefully, if it's taking this long, then Eoin Colfer is trying harder to make sure they don't mess the movie up. I still think it would be cool for them to make all three versions of it(animation, computor animation, and live action).

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Wed 9th Sep 2009

codeblackrose wrote:Okay. The fact?

The fact is, those stupid film-makers procrastinate so much they should start a procrastinators' club.
There.

First of all, if you're going to blame anyone, Blame Eoin Colfer. He's the one writing the script, which is the stage the movie is in now. Next, blame the CEOs of big networks who were unfair to the Writers and caused the WGA strike a few years back, which set the AF movie back quite a while.

So that's what we know. Colfer is writing the script right now.

However, Colfer has other priorities. He's writing Hitchhiker 6, and that's a much more economically viable project. There are millions more Hitchhikers fans who are at least seven times as Hardcore as even the most devoted Fowl Fan, and he has to make sure that book is Mothervulcan perfect or else hitchhikers fans (myself included) will figuratively Dexter Morgan him. So he's working hard on that, as well.

Not to mention the fact that since Artemis Fowl isn't what the kids are "into" right now, the movie will probably flop unless they build up the excitement for the book series again. (Hence the new covers for the books). That's why I think that the movie will be made to coincide with the release of a new Artemis Fowl book, or something else that will build up steam for the series.

A Fantasy/Scifi children's movie might not be economically viable right now, which means the movie will probably end up in what's called "Development Hell."

Think of it in terms of Watchmen. In the 1980s, they were going to make a movie out of it. However, the project got shifted around a lot and eventually shelved. People were trying to make a movie out of it for almost 25 years before someone actually made one, and the only reason they were able to was because of the popularity of Comic book movies such as the Dark Knight and Iron Man.

So let me ask you this, assuming this movie is on the fast track to being made, do you really think that in 2012 (a likely release date if everything goes well) that a scifi/fantasy/crime movie about fairies will fare well at the box office? They're probably waiting for a resurgence in that kind of thing in the youth trends.

Hell, the project hasn't even been greenlit yet, it's way too early to be talking about facts of the movie.

The Weird Shipper
LEP Recruit
Location: For me to know, and you not to know *comically intesne look*

Post by The Weird Shipper » Wed 9th Sep 2009

I think they'd make a lot of money of making the movies, because most hardcore AF fans will swarm the theaters, if only to hear "I don't like lollipops" and stare at Holly. I, personally, would go a few times to see it. They';d make abput 100 off me and my friends (who I'd drag with me).

And, the thing we want more than the movie in general, is for it to stay close to the facts- read over the past comments, it's what we want. (YOU READING THIS, COLFER?). Almost as much as we don't want CGI. Which I agree with, will totally kill it. We at least need a real person for Butler and Foaly, they were the most screwed up in priorly when people tried to draw them.
Proud Member of The (Mary)Sue Slayers.
<3 Member of the LOVEless FANGIRLS <3Image

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Thu 10th Sep 2009

The Weird Shipper wrote:I think they'd make a lot of money of making the movies, because most hardcore AF fans will swarm the theaters, if only to hear "I don't like lollipops" and stare at Holly. I, personally, would go a few times to see it. They';d make abput 100 off me and my friends (who I'd drag with me).

And, the thing we want more than the movie in general, is for it to stay close to the facts- read over the past comments, it's what we want. (YOU READING THIS, COLFER?). Almost as much as we don't want CGI. Which I agree with, will totally kill it. We at least need a real person for Butler and Foaly, they were the most screwed up in priorly when people tried to draw them.

Everyone who adapts a book for the screen knows the biggest mistake they can make is to write it just for the hardcore fans.

Fact is, there AREN'T that many hardcore AF fans. It's not that popular a series, unfortunately.