My Idea For The Movies...

Which actors would you like to cast? What do you want to see? What would you do if you were the director?
xMetallicBooger
Gnome

Post by xMetallicBooger » Wed 14th Jun 2006

I was thinking of a way they could do the movies, and if it's possible, it would probably make casting a lot easier.

My idea is that, if it's feasible and affordable, maybe they could use half live action and half CGI. Real original, eh? Yeah, I know I'm probably not the first person to think of that, but I thought I'd bring it up.

I'm sure it would be easy to find an Artemis, a Butler, a Juliet, etc... But think about the fairies. The fairies have got to be short, they have to fly (with or without mechanical wings), and it seems really hard to find an actor or actress who looks anything like certain characters. What about sprites? They have wings and they're green. And Foaly...He's half horse. Good luck finding an actor with a horse's body. You'd need some special effects for him, for sure.

I mean, I think it's a good idea. LOTR did it with Gollum, and I know this is all totally different, but the only things that would create a real dilemma would be the cost and how it looked. With the right special effects, it would look great and not totally cheesy and fake, but that costs money.

This way, the fairies look exactly how they should, and all they would have to worry about is finding the right voice actor. Don't you think?

I never really think things through very far, I know someone is gonna find a major flaw in my plan, but in a perfect world, this would work, right?

I also thought it'd be cool to make the whole thing animated, but then it would seem totally kid-oriented, and no one would want to see it. Besides, when you read a book, do you see it in your head as live action, or animation? Exactly.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Thu 15th Jun 2006

I like your idea :)

Id definitely make it live action, and not a cartoon. Cartoons are a little too fake, and unappealing to many people :(

CGI would be perfect for the fairies you named, especially Foaly! Gollum looked brilliant in LOTR, so if similar effects could be done here, we'd be luvin it! :D

And I think it would be affordable. I think Colfer received the largest ever advance on his first book, to allow it to be made into a movie. (That was a few years ago now), so Im assuming the budget for the movie will be quite substantial :) (And considering that the main actor will be an unknown kid, theyll save a fair bit there)

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Thu 15th Jun 2006

<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>I actually wrote quite a long post just a few minutes ago, and then when I hit the "Add Entry" button, IE freaked out and didn't display the page at all. All that I typed was lost. :angry: I have to do it all over again. :angry:</span>

Yes, I agree, "live action + CGI" isn't such an original idea, but hey--we're talking about movies in the '00s here, and if you want to compete with big movie franchises such as The Lord of the Rings, StarWars, and Harry Potter, then achieving the best realism in creating a fantasy--no matter how ironic that sounds--world would be the key objective here.

As for the fairy sizes, that's really not a problem. We've seen PJ and his crew make Elijah Wood appear short using this old technique called <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_perspective' target='_blank'>Forced Perspective</a>... Foaly's horse body could be made using robotics, prosthetics, motion-capture [taken from a real horse], and good old computer animation.

Who's making the movies now? Is it still Miramax? This gives me a sense of deja vu, because I remember that Miramax, at first, also signed to produce LOTR in a two-part movie [instead of the actual three]. And I also remember LOTR director Peter Jackson say in the extended edition DVDs that LOTR is actually the "biggest low-budget movie ever made in history". I think a major part of what made LOTR actually "low-budget" is the fact that they filmed all three films at once. This has cut down their budget. Sure, it's a whole lot of hard work, with three, four and later on, more film units simulateneously shooting on separate locations, but I'm sure it's been all very much worth it. ^_^
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

xMetallicBooger
Gnome

Post by xMetallicBooger » Thu 15th Jun 2006

A lot of how they made the hobbits appear so short was just the other characters standing on things or the hobbits standing on their knees. Obviously that wasn't the only way they did it, but when the hobbits were shown full-body next to a full-body elf or man...it looked slightly fake.

I'm still thinking CGI would be a good idea. I mean, makeup and prosthetics can only do so much.

Obviously full animation would be a dumb idea. Remember the 1970's LOTR and Hobbit movies? Yeah, it was a long time ago, but even for that time period in animation, it was HORRIBLE. HORRIBLE!!!

Another thing, I don't think Foaly is supposed to be a full-sized horse. I think he's more like...Pony-sized, even though he's fully grown. So...Yeah. Just thought I'd mention that.

By the way, I was reading some interviews with Eoin Colfer, some people asked him about the movie. The most recent one was done on January 30th of this year. He was saying hopefully they'd start filming sometime this year, and if we're lucky we'll have a movie by next year. Of course, the way this thing's been going, it probably won't hit theaters til I'm out of high school (Actually not that far away, but still).

And I'd still go see it, even if it was a movie theater FILLED with 12-year-olds. Because that's just how cool I am ^^

In another interview, Colfer also said that he'd already been paid for the movie rights, and said that he couldn't imagine them paying him and then not doing the movie after all. So perhaps one day, when we're all 40-years-old and living in our parents' basements, they'll come out with the movie, and we'll all go see it, like true sci-fi fans would. Well, I dunno about you guys, but I probably would...>.<