How much magic do you think Artemis stole?

What do you think will happen in the next installment of the Fowl series?
Arty the 7th
Troll

How much magic do you think Artemis stole?

Post by Arty the 7th » Tue 5th Feb 2008

I dont know if theres a way to measure magic so i wondered whether any of you can help
Ever since TLC came out, ive been wondering about the amount of magic Artemis stole and what he is going to use it for XD
More wicked plans??? :starwars:
Or for helping the people??? :horse:
I cant wait for book 6 !!!!!!!!!!!!
Im ecstatic about it :jump:
The questions just keep swirling in my head :party:
Is Artemis going to use his magic to teach the new annoying twins a lesson? :pop:
Will anybody try to kidnap him for his magic? :ninja:
ImageA member of C.I.A. - The Chosen One. All Hail Cyborgs, The True Masters Of The World!Image
Make the Edit button your best friend... OR ELSE
Any Questions about the Site? Ask me!
Proud Member of the Newbie Assistance Club

I am a proud member of the Hyperactive club *Twitch*
I'm a proud member of the Insane peoples club! "Say Yes to Insanity"
Calling Fangathering Members! There is this brand new game in the "Forum Games" forum! It's called "Mafia"! Click on the link to play:

http://www.forum.fangathering.com/viewt ... =20&t=4266

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: How much magic do you think Artemis stole?

Post by Meova » Tue 5th Feb 2008

I think Artemis just stole a little bit, to see what it would do. I don't think he'll tell that many people he has it, just Butler, Foaly, Holly, some other people from the People, and maybe Minerva+his parents. So being kidnapped for it? Not likely. I think he's going to use it to do good now. Maybe heal some people if he sees people in pain.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Tue 5th Feb 2008

Glad to see this topic back. :)

My guess would be that Artemis stole enough magic to be, "running hot", as if he'd just performed the ritual, but that he can't actually perform the ritual, so once he runs out, that's it.

As for what he'll do with it... I can't imagine him wasting it on silly whims like getting back at his little siblings. And I don'tthink any non-friendly humans will know about it in order to steal it from him. I think Artemis will just use it to save his mother, get back in time, etc. As the situation demands it, I guess.

Pampered.Pixie
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Pampered.Pixie » Wed 6th Feb 2008

Like MMK said he's probably running hot so the magic should last for awhile, and I think he'll probably be using it for good (mostly) and he might need some of the magic when he goes back in time to save his mother and face his evil self. :shock:

Meova

Post by Meova » Wed 6th Feb 2008

MMK wrote:My guess would be that Artemis stole enough magic to be, "running hot", as if he'd just performed the ritual, but that he can't actually perform the ritual, so once he runs out, that's it.

Didn't the rules in the Book (including the Ritual) only apply to fairies? I mean, I don't think Abbott ever had to perform the ritual, he just kept on having magic. Plus it's actually *what Artemis discovered* something in your head.
ImageImageImageImage

Arty the 7th
Troll

Post by Arty the 7th » Thu 7th Feb 2008

I wonder if he can find a way to a) steal more magic :woot:
or
b) to bend the rules of the book :tantrum:
I can't wait till the 6th book comes out :jump:
Last edited by Arty the 7th on Sun 16th Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
ImageA member of C.I.A. - The Chosen One. All Hail Cyborgs, The True Masters Of The World!Image

Calling Fangathering Members! There is this brand new game in the "Forum Games" forum! It's called "Mafia"! Click on the link to play:

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 7th Feb 2008

Didn't the rules in the Book (including the Ritual) only apply to fairies? I mean, I don't think Abbott ever had to perform the ritual, he just kept on having magic.

That's why I figured he'd run out- because he wouldn't be able to perform the ritual to replenish it- the books do not apply to humans. They still apply to all fairies, even demons, though. I just think Aboot either did do the ritual (most likely) didn't have to because of the weird way time behaved, or just hadn't run out of magic. All he ever really did was the mesmer, which requires little to no magical exertion (even the most drained fairies can do it).

Which leads to an interesting point: How fast does a fairiy run out of magic? Even as a LEPrecon officer, a dangerous job where she probably needs to use tons of magic, Holly took four years to exhaust her supply. Artemis would be even more frugal, so his magic could last as long as a decade. On the other hand, it took Holly about a day to exhaust her supply in TEC and again in TLC, so it's hard to say.

I wonder if he can find a way to a) steal more magic :woot:
or
b) to bend the rules of the book :tantrum:

Interesting ideas. (a) is actually a nice idea. After all, he does time travel again, so he could possibly recharge his magic that way. I hadn't thought of that. (b), though, is irrelevent, because the rules of the book do not apply to humans. After all, it'd be terribly annoying if he couldn't enter his own dwellings. Frond imposed the book on his subjects- humans were never subject to Frond.

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Thu 7th Feb 2008

MMK wrote:Glad to see this topic back. :)

:D Me too.

I doubt that Artemis would use it for more wicked plans, though. I think he's past that now. Maybe to help out the People, but they probably have magic enough of their own. Knowing him, he'll probably use it for himself.

I don't think he'll be telling the twins--I think the magic is something he mostly will want to keep to himself. And then he'd have to explain where he got it from and well...he's not allowed to tell. So that might result in a sticky situation.
Following that, I doubt anyone will kidnap him, since there's only a few people who know he has magic. Well, only Butler, actually, since Holly thinks he is out.
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

Arty the 7th
Troll

Post by Arty the 7th » Fri 8th Feb 2008

Wont Artemis be sad when he finally does run out of magic? :(

Artemis would be even more frugal, so his magic could last as long as a decade.

And youre probably right, Artemis wont be able to bend the rules in the Book. I just thought that with his brains... :?

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Tue 12th Feb 2008

Meova wrote: I think he will remember. It's just like riding a bike, once you know how to you can do it. But we don't even know what Artemis can do with his magic. Maybe he won't be able to do such weird things. Plus in the end of TLC, he concentrated and he healed himself, so he now does know how to do it. I don't think he will forget, not with a brain like his.

Okay, for convienience I copied your last post over her, Meo, so we can continue this discussion where it belongs.
The thing with the whole riding-a-bike argument is that Arty never really used magic before. He can use it now, since he healed himself at the end of TLC, but he might not know how to get more, if he ever needs to. Personally, I think there's probably a reason that humans lost their magic, and that's how it's supposed to stay.
(That said, if Colfer does mention some sort of human ritual in TTP, I'm sure I'll be trying it! XD )

[Edited because I typed the quote coding wrong...]
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

Meova

Post by Meova » Wed 13th Feb 2008

About the riding a bike argument, once you start riding a bike, that's also the first time you try it. You might fall, but you can keep trying. I don't think the baby fairies will know immediately how to control their magic.
And about the reason humans lost their magic... It could be that that was caused by evolution. And if it just was evolution, they can get it back. Just look at the people in the Darwin Awards. You can't exactly say they didn't go back one step in evolution ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Pampered.Pixie
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Pampered.Pixie » Mon 18th Feb 2008

I wonder if humans had a ritual when they had magic, cause if they did Artemis would definitely figure it out. Then he could have magic forever!!!!!!!!!! :razz: And if Artemis had a way to restock his magic he might be able to give magic to other people...

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Mon 18th Feb 2008

I don't see why Artemis wouldn't be able to perform the ritual and get more magic (which is kind of away from the conversation that was going on, but just continue around it if you must :D).
I mean, humans and fairies are very similar in structure, if Artemis' body can hold the magic, then there seems to be no reason that would make him unable to restore the magic. The fact that Artemis could steal the magic in the first place shows that it could, in fact, enter him. Why wouldn't it be able to do it again?
The Book is only supposed to apply to fairies, but as we've discussed before, fairies don't really seem to be that closely related to each other. Pixies and elves seem to be related to humans more than demons or goblins. Demons come from organisms on the moon and goblins are reptilian. It wouldn't be much of a stretch for the rules of the Book to apply to humans as well, or humans with fairy magic. A lot of the rules apply to the magic, not the species.
If you enter a human dwelling without permission you lose your magic. That doesn't apply to trolls or centaurs because they don't have magic. Artemis may be a human, but it seems like that law would have an easier time restraining him from doing something than other fairies.
The magic floating around in the time rent was lost by a fairy (a demon warlock, right?) at some time, so the rules of the Book applied to the magic. I don't think that it will matter who is carrying the magic.

My two cents, anyway.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

dee_sequel
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by dee_sequel » Tue 19th Feb 2008

QUESTION!!!
in the first book, Root mentioned that Holly could be dead from not completeing the ritual for so long. Does that just go along with her dangerous job description, or can a fairy really die from not replenishing their magic? If so, Artemis may not have any choice but to keep the magic if it becomes infused into his system.
ATTENTION! for all Netherworlds readers, I am still updating on DA!
https://iesnoth.deviantart.com/gallery/

Meova

Post by Meova » Tue 19th Feb 2008

I think it was because she had a dangerous job. I never heard of a fairy dying because he didn't have magic anymore. They'll die anyway sometime, so it doesn't really matter, I think.
ImageImageImageImage