New Creature

What do you think will happen in the next installment of the Fowl series?
Gremlin
Mud-Man
Location: Somewhere with a good book, paper, pens, and a pencil.

Re: New Creature

Post by Gremlin » Mon 14th Jul 2008

P5YCHIC wrote:
Gremlin wrote:Quite personally, I don't think that the kraken idea is a rip-off of a certain trio of pirate movies.

Krakens have been around for thousands of years before the Pirates movies. Saying Colfer's "Ripping them Off" from pirates is like saying he "Ripped off" Demons from Hellboy. Demons have also been around for thousands of years.

And Krakens aren't copyrighted, so they're fair game. If he were using those horrible zombie things from "I Am Legend," then he'd be ripping it off. But Krakens are a part of several different mythologies, not to mention sailing folklore.

P5YCHIC, might I point out my use of the word don't in the part of my post which you quoted? I know full well that the kraken is not a copyrighted mythological creature.

The lemur is definitely part of the story, but I think that perhaps the "new creature" might actually be some sort of very old and spirit which was once worshipped as a deity by the humans. Considering that he's going back in time, if there are such powerful creatures, someone's bound to get annoyed and look into things, right? After a fashion that could cause a disturbance in things which such a being would be sure to notice..........and I think that could also fall into the dormant category. Perhaps it could even be as simple as barging into a temple and waking something which was once thought to be a god. It would certainly work for the region where the lemurs are from.
My idea of, "Ooh, fun!" is actually, "Ahhh, no!" for a lot of people.

What I do in my spare time.

And letting gremlin roommates cook is not a good idea- they tend to add motor oil to everything.

Image < Please click me!

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Mon 14th Jul 2008

Gremlin wrote:
P5YCHIC wrote:
Gremlin wrote:Quite personally, I don't think that the kraken idea is a rip-off of a certain trio of pirate movies.

Krakens have been around for thousands of years before the Pirates movies. Saying Colfer's "Ripping them Off" from pirates is like saying he "Ripped off" Demons from Hellboy. Demons have also been around for thousands of years.

And Krakens aren't copyrighted, so they're fair game. If he were using those horrible zombie things from "I Am Legend," then he'd be ripping it off. But Krakens are a part of several different mythologies, not to mention sailing folklore.

P5YCHIC, might I point out my use of the word don't in the part of my post which you quoted? I know full well that the kraken is not a copyrighted mythological creature.

The lemur is definitely part of the story, but I think that perhaps the "new creature" might actually be some sort of very old and spirit which was once worshipped as a deity by the humans. Considering that he's going back in time, if there are such powerful creatures, someone's bound to get annoyed and look into things, right? After a fashion that could cause a disturbance in things which such a being would be sure to notice..........and I think that could also fall into the dormant category. Perhaps it could even be as simple as barging into a temple and waking something which was once thought to be a god. It would certainly work for the region where the lemurs are from.

Oh my god! I'm such an idiot and I can't read! I'm sorry! Just pretend that wasn't addressed at you, but instead was addressed at anyone who does think that!

Sorry!

Gremlin
Mud-Man
Location: Somewhere with a good book, paper, pens, and a pencil.

Post by Gremlin » Mon 14th Jul 2008

P5YCHIC wrote:Oh my god! I'm such an idiot and I can't read! I'm sorry! Just pretend that wasn't addressed at you, but instead was addressed at anyone who does think that!

Sorry!

Eh, no problem. We've all done something like that at one point or another, no?
My idea of, "Ooh, fun!" is actually, "Ahhh, no!" for a lot of people.

What I do in my spare time.

And letting gremlin roommates cook is not a good idea- they tend to add motor oil to everything.

Image < Please click me!

xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Thu 17th Jul 2008

lol, poor P5ychic. Anyway, There's a Lemur in there somewhere, I don't know wether It's Evil the new creature, or Colfer is using it metaphorically for Dead, but, it should be interesting to see what he comes up with....
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Thu 17th Jul 2008

It was the Kraken.

xox Miss Livia xox
Queen of Wonderland

Post by xox Miss Livia xox » Thu 17th Jul 2008

Are you telling me there's a Kraken in the new Artemis Fowl book....
"People are gonna tell you who you are your whole life. You just gotta punch back and say, "No, this is who I am". You want people to look at you differently? Make them! You want to change things, you're gonna have to go out there and change them yourself, because there are no fairy godmothers in this world." - Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time.
Welcome aboard, lads and lasses. Let's see what adventures await us...

Join me:
~My Art page~|~My facebook ~|

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Yes, but if you haven't read it, it's wise not to read things in spoiler tags.

But that information was revealed by Colfer a long time ago.

TheFoundColony
Gnome

Re:

Post by TheFoundColony » Thu 17th Jul 2008

MMK wrote:Swear toads aren't fairies- they're genetically modified toads.

Eoin Colfer has already contradicted himself:

1. elves
2. centaurs
3. trolls
4. demons
5. gnomes
6. dwarves
7. sprites
8. goblins
9. pixies (thanks, Modest-Genius, for pointing it out)

I don't think cantuars are fairies, they dont have any magic, but im probably wrong
Why dont our signatures have sig's?
Why dont our sig's sig's have sig's?
Why dont out sig's sig's sig's have sigs?
ETC.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Centaurs are fairies; Trolls aren't. I think a creature has to be sentient to count as a fairy.

And Centaurs have the gift of tongues.

chloemay100
Goblin

Re:

Post by chloemay100 » Sun 21st Dec 2008

inkweaver wrote:
Soulcatcher wrote: My guess is mermaids :P

Though since he went with demons in the last book perhaps he'll go in the opposite direction and introduce some type of angelic creature? Not angels specifically, but that type o' thing.

Or maybe the unicorns weren't wiped out as Foaly led us to believe?

yes! that's all Artemis Fowl needs: mermaids, dragons, and unicorns!

:rollseyes: jk, lol. :rofl:

well he could also do something like they could find the last unicorn or something and
then somebody finds out and it turns into a chase or something cause that might work...
dragons couldnt possibly work, for, how could u hide a dragon?!
mermaids...mermaids, might work i guess but how would that fit in with anything? :?

ArtemisFowlfan96
LEP Recruit

Post by ArtemisFowlfan96 » Fri 13th Feb 2009

i seriously say the people here r phycic! U guys guessed it in the second post!!! U guys r amazing!!!
The world is a strange place....

Dr. Spencer Reid, played by Matthew Gray Gubler, on Criminal Minds, is the most amazing guy in the world. And HE'S ALL MINE!!!

The rain smells... interesting. It's... intoxicating. I can't stop... sniffing it. Don't worry... if I get... high....

"Do you think it's possible to feel homesick, even when you're at home?"
---Julie from Saturday's Warrior

Love hurts like a sharp arrow--why else would everyone draw an arrow through their hearts? But going without it hurts even more.

"I do my thing and you do your thing; you are you and I am I; but if in the end we end up together, it's beautiful."
---Topanga from Boy Meets World

artymon
Fangathering Fever patient

Re: Re:

Post by artymon » Fri 13th Feb 2009

Hm..........new creatures, eh?

Lemme think....

Maybe Colfer will FINALLY expand on those Gremlins he mentioned what? Three times in book one? I doubt it though, that's where he contradicted himself the most...

Hm...................

Okay, did some amateur research on fairies and came across something called a "Korrigan," they sound kinda like dwarfs though....I'd have to look up these Korrigans on a source other than Wikipedia though...

ArtemisFowlfan96
LEP Recruit

theres gonna be a new one in #7?! Wow... Colfer gives a lot of info... anyways, it might be a harpie.

Dr. Spencer Reid, played by Matthew Gray Gubler, on Criminal Minds, is the most amazing guy in the world. And HE'S ALL MINE!!!

The rain smells... interesting. It's... intoxicating. I can't stop... sniffing it. Don't worry... if I get... high....

Love hurts like a sharp arrow--why else would everyone draw an arrow through their hearts? But going without it hurts even more.

"I do my thing and you do your thing; you are you and I am I; but if in the end we end up together, it's beautiful."

artymon
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by artymon » Fri 13th Feb 2009

What's a harpie? (Stupid question, I know.)

ArtemisFowlfan96
LEP Recruit

Oh, sorry. I meant a Kelpie! A Kelpie is a creature that eats you to become you. Well, that's not correct. As said in an episode of American Dragon: Jake Long,
Jake: Woah, rewind and remix. This thing wants to eat me so it can be me?!
Silver: He won't actually eat you. He'll just slowly drain your essence with his icy cold bite sending your soul into enternal darkness and leaving your lifeless husk of a body behind. Oh, that's not much better is it?
Fu: Well, I guess it's nice you get to keep your husk.

Anyways, a Harpie is actually spelt Harpy and all u need to do is go to the following link and it will tell all about them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpie