The Lost Colony: What Do You Think Of Minerva

What do you think will happen in the next installment of the Fowl series?
holly s
Troll
Location: I would tell you, but then I'd have another stalker.

Re: The Lost Colony: What Do You Think Of Minerva

Post by holly s » Sun 30th Mar 2008

MMK wrote:
I bet she is waiting, she couldn't have turned good in just a few days, it took Arty a few years. And there's no one that probably changed her in the last 3 years.

It took Artemis a few years to become totally irrevocably good. But in the first place, he was worse than Minerva- she's more spoiled than evil. She felt genuine concern when she realized that there were civilized, intelligent, non-vicious demons, and they weren't all like Abbot. She also clearly has affection for her father, and the deep shock of his injury was definitely enough to get her on the path towards good. Then, of course, she's been hanging out with Butler for three years.

And if you think about it, to "beat Artemis Fowl", all she has to do is win at chess or something. Anti-climactic? A little. But I think she's 'good' now, and that's the worst she'll do.

Just saying, she could use Butler just to get to Arty...hmm.... She's so Mary Sueish that I'd love to see her again (actually, it took me a lot of thought, but I truely do want her some in the next book, at first I didn't, but now I do) I'd love to see her as a really evil character, but I'd mostly love to see Arty beat her up. :D (no offense Minerva lovers)
Anyhow, you can't say that Arty isn't a Gary Sue (or whatever a boy Mary Sue is called) because he is one, but to some extent.
Winning at chess? Worst she can do? I think not, she's a genius, after all, don't under estimate her, winning chest is NOT the worst she can do. Personally (again, Minerva lovers, don't take this to offense) I don't think she's 'good' (yet) and I hope she doesn't change. Two good genii is not too intresting. Two equal (since she's about the same age of Artemis now) genii fighting each other is so much more intresting.
I like books
Go figure.
I like books.
Yes, yes, we know!
I like books!
We get the picture.
I LIKE BOOKS!!!!
*sighs*
Image[br]Click here to feed me a Star Fruit![br]Get your own at Flyffables!
Proud member of the Loveless Fangirls.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 30th Mar 2008

Anyhow, you can't say that Arty isn't a Gary Sue (or whatever a boy Mary Sue is called) because he is one, but to some extent.

Yes I can- I think Artemis is one of the most original characters I've ever seen. Because he was the first. If another character were to pop up who was a carbon copy of him (I'm not saying that Minerva is, necessarily, just making a point) they would be a cliche because there's already a character exactly like that. Within the same series, that character would also be a sue, because he/she would seem to be perfectly compatible with Artemis. But Artemis himself is not a Gary Stu.

One of the main reasons that I don't like Minerva is she's too Mary-Sueish!!! Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu characters are too.. bad! They ruin the point of the ultimate series!

I don't think Mary Sue characters automatically ruin a story. They are the hallmark of a bad writer, but Eoin Colfer is most definitely not a bad writer. If a Mary Sue is surrounded by other excellent characters, a great setting, and an interesting plot, then it's still a good story (every story has its flaws). Minerva definitely has these things- after all, the Lost Colony was still pretty good, wasn't it?

Winning at chess? Worst she can do? I think not, she's a genius, after all, don't under estimate her, winning chest is NOT the worst she can do. Personally (again, Minerva lovers, don't take this to offense) I don't think she's 'good' (yet) and I hope she doesn't change. Two good genii is not too intresting. Two equal (since she's about the same age of Artemis now) genii fighting each other is so much more intresting.

I didn't say it was the worst she could do, I said it was the worst she would do. There's a difference. I think every piece of evidence we've got points to her being 'good' now, and she's not going to be a serious opponent again, unless it works out that way through the time travel.

I don't think she and Artemis are equal, and I don't think they ever will be. Minerva tries to use similar tactics, but Artemis is clearly smarter and so will always win. Therefore, them fighting each other won't be too interesting either, as shown in TLC. Artemis will always be two steps ahead.

Yeah, a good genius may not be quite as interesting as an evil one, but Artemis has turned good and we're still reading, aren't we?

artysgirl
LEP Recruit

Post by artysgirl » Sun 27th Apr 2008

well...I think Artemis is smarter than minerva that's for sure!!
haha hi guyss!!!!!! :razz: :lol:
i'm back!!!! did u miss me???...I know you did... :D
Captain HollyShort

dianathena
Dwarf Miner

Post by dianathena » Fri 2nd May 2008

Really guys, Minerva hasn't had much of a chance to redeem herself in the last book, remeber? Artemis jumped out of a window before she could! Really...give her a chance! Anyways, for you tradionalist A/H shippers, what happens to Trouble? He won't want a watery eyed receptionist Lili Frond as a ship! Eoin Colfer is sure to (whatever happens) suprise us all! :D Anyway, Artemis beat Minerva because of the technological advancment of the People, remember, he couldn't go in, had not a little pixie existed eith no magic and a lot of talent behind the wheel, WHICH ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE POSSIBLE! If she had known it was possible, maybe she could have kept No1 WHICH WOULD BE BAD! SO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING! And anyways, Artemis almost got outwitted by the LEP, if Minerva had gone down the same google path as Artemis, she would have had the privilage of being mind-wiped WHICH WOULD BE BAD! and also, she was forced down a different path, demons lead down different pathes than faries, (faeries) look it up!

Also, Minerva will save Artemis' sorry self!
Last edited by BlackOpal on Fri 2nd May 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I combined your posts. Please use the edit button.
"I don't see myself at school dances, Butler."
"It's more difficult than it looks."
"Trust me. I'm a genius."
"I am not a complete idiot."
"The punching is not helping my concentration, by the way."
"I am so unappreciated."

Anyone who wants a Fowl Laugh look up Artemis (Just Artemis) at gifninja.com!

Nanet Fowl
Gnome

Post by Nanet Fowl » Mon 7th Jul 2008

I agree with the thought that Minerva could be killed. EC's killed many characters and she could be the next :D :D

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Meova » Tue 8th Jul 2008

It could be, but it's not likely. I think either Butler or Holly will be killed, even though Colfer will be really sorry if he kills Holly. Minerva... I just have the feeling that she's also important for the plot in TTP. Like she has something really important to do.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

Nanet Fowl
Gnome

Post by Nanet Fowl » Tue 8th Jul 2008

Yeah, it could be possible. But I still don't know if Minerva is a good or bad character. Maybe something will change in TTP who knows...

Meova

Post by Meova » Tue 8th Jul 2008

Didn't Butler say in the end of TLC that she turned good? I don't know about her, but I couldn't act like that for 3 years... Maybe a week, but that's the top for me. No one can manage 3 years.
ImageImageImageImage

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Thu 10th Jul 2008

Yeah. I read an interesting drabble about that on FF.net, though. I'll try to post a link later.
It made me think.
I don't think Minerva was a bad person, though. She was trying to save people from demons. Even if she didn't make the best of choices, her intentions were obviously good.

I don't think Minerva will be killed either, because she hasn't been around for long enough. It wouldn't be a big thing that would really affect people that much, I wouldn't think.
If someone dies, it's likely to be a character that has been around for awhile and is close to Artemis.
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

Meova

Post by Meova » Thu 10th Jul 2008

Exactly, like Butler. I guess we all agree that Butler is the one who's most likely to die. Minerva, like Car said, just hasn't been around long enough.
ImageImageImageImage

Nanet Fowl
Gnome

Post by Nanet Fowl » Thu 10th Jul 2008

Meova wrote:Didn't Butler say in the end of TLC that she turned good? I don't know about her, but I couldn't act like that for 3 years... Maybe a week, but that's the top for me. No one can manage 3 years.

Isn't it too unreal to change your personality in 3 years? It should take more...who knows

Meova

Post by Meova » Thu 10th Jul 2008

Hey, everyone changes their personality/character every 7 years. Big chance that that's what happened. Plus, of course, the shock that Artemis disappeared and it was her fault too.
ImageImageImageImage

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Thu 10th Jul 2008

People are constantly changing.
Besides, it's not like Minerva needed a character makeover. She was never really 'bad.'
She just needed a bit more of a character.
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Sat 12th Jul 2008

I actually don't understand the whole "Minerva's evil" thing.
She is more "good" than Artemis was even in the third book.
She was fine. Young, greedy, but fine.
She was no different than Artemis was at that age.
She made some mistakes. So what?
Artemis was pretty careless when he met with Jon Spiro.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Sun 20th Jul 2008

Yeah...neither do I.

I mean okay, she can be annoying at times, but she's not EVIL. And she doesn't deserve to be killed by all those gruesome ways some people think of *blinks confusedly*

She was just like Artemis was. Better, in fact, than his evil self. She may be a genius, but that doesn't mean she has to be smart in ALL areas...

Personally, I like her character. I'd like her to be developed a bit more, of course, but it could go a long way. As long as she's not a clone of Artemis and takes her own direction, I'm thinking that she'd be pretty awesome.

And yeah, people DO change. Artemis changed from Book 1 to TTP. That only took like 2-3 years or something. Minerva could easily change within 3 years. I agree with carino. She just needs more depth and stuff so she doesn't seem like a shallow character.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net