The Dance Club

Anyone can start or join a club in here.
Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Re: The Dance Club

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Fri 2nd Oct 2009

I think you've made your point quite clear, Holls.
We aren't all idiots here, you know!
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 9th Oct 2009

I was practicing switch leaps (jazz), switch leaps (Irish dance), bycicles (Irish dance), axels (jazz), calypsos (jazz) and flags (jazz), and those things are HARD!!! o_O My legs feel like Jell-O now. (And yes I did stretch before I did them. I stretched for the length of 4 long Evanescence songs.)
Here are the videos that I could find on them:

Switch Leap (Jazz. At the end, you'll see a full switch leap. HARD o_O)

Calypso. IGNORE THE TITLE, MY DANCE PLACE CALLS THIS A CALYPSO AND NOT A ATTITUDE JUMP.

Axels! FUN FUN!

Irish Dance Switch Leap

Bycicles

I couldn't find any videos of flags...
Can you see why my legs feel like jelly now?
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Tue 20th Oct 2009

Awesome, Holly!

I just found out that I'm getting some of the best grades in my entire school, so I'll probably be staring dance lessons soon! I'm being optimistic because pessimism was getting old.
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

AcornNight
Troll
Location: In front of my desk, tearing my hair out over that huge pile of homework i have to do. *sigh*

Post by AcornNight » Mon 26th Oct 2009

Lucky you!!! Getting high grades... :( How unfortunate am I to NOT be a genius... Because if I was, I would be able to sleep the entire day away and still get good grades. XD ... no videos to contribute though.

Dancing my heart out as a member of the Dance Club~!

Proud e-sis of iwuvarty, CodeBlackRose and Chocolate :D

Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Mon 26th Oct 2009

Ha! Finally someone on FG who is NOT a genius and who has to suffer through school like me!!!! *hugs acorn night* lol, sorry but I have to study and it feels like no one else here does!! o_O

anyway, moving topic back on to dance...

AcornNight
Troll
Location: In front of my desk, tearing my hair out over that huge pile of homework i have to do. *sigh*

Post by AcornNight » Mon 26th Oct 2009

Same Here... :( X.X high five Kierisa.

Dancing my heart out as a member of the Dance Club~!

Proud e-sis of iwuvarty, CodeBlackRose and Chocolate :D

Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Mon 26th Oct 2009

YAYA

*tries desperately to get back on topic* uh uh uh uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MY SISTER WANTS TO LEARN BALLET! she has the body for it, thats for sure :D

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 27th Oct 2009

Are you talking about the little sister who talked to me yesterday?
Is she that one that was in the pic of you and one of your sises in the car?
If so, yeah, she probably has the right body for ballet ^-^
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Tue 27th Oct 2009

Yes yes and yes! :D she's an absolute stick and she has ever lasting energy xD

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Tue 10th Nov 2009

My role models are officially Jean Butler and Micheal Flatley.
True art is not limited to a single style but rather a collection of your influences.
Like in this video, Jean Butler used the very few ballet moves that she moved, mixed in a very pretty lyrical-looking dress and wore ballet shoes, but she also included Irish dance moves, but she didn't limit herself to using just her lower body like Irish dancers nowadays that look like drill team:

She is using her influences (including Irish) to create a beautiful, lovely, elegant, floaty, quiet dance. She is an artist.

And Micheal Flatley took Irish dance from being just plain this:

(I'm not saying that's boring, but it's kind of plain, and people who aren't into Irish culture like me and Ju might find it a bit boring)

He took it from the above to THIS:

It's so COOL how Micheal and Jean mix in their own styles, modernize dance/mix dance without taking away the culture in it...
Micheal and Jean have definitely left an imprint on the world of Irish dance. They are true artists. They don't shove dance into categories that have already been made (such as "the plain Irish dance with Celtic designs on the dresses"), they create their own style.
I look up to them. I hope I can be like them someday.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Wed 9th Dec 2009

Sorry for the doublepost, but this club is dying and I have something to say--

Did you know that there are Irish dance competitions (feisanna) that don't let you bring in ANY of your own food or drinks?!
Traveling for dance competitions is stressful enough. Can't we at least have our own food with us? The feisanna's pleas are always that "concessions will be available". But that's rubbish... we're athletes and I personally don't like any things that the concession stands have, since it's all deep fried and fat laden (I.E., greasy cheese burgers, greasy french fries, fish that's cleaned in sinks full of grease, Twizzlers, and everything else unhealthy under the sun. NO HEALTHY SUGAR FREE FOODS AT ALL!!)
I mean, REALLY? What about the kids with diabetes? What about lactose intolerant kids? What about kids with *other* special food needs? That's just NUTS!

There's a girl I know who went to a feis where they actually TOOK the cap from your water bottle (which was $3.00, by the way), so you couldn't re-use it! And they checked your bags upon entering! This is just crazy. Someone having a protein bar and some fruit in their purse is NOT going to kill anyone.

I understand that they do these things for reasons, like,
1. To sell more food at their stalls to supplement their funds
2. To prevent a huge mess in the hall. Some people simply leave their litter and mess behind with no regard for whoever has to clean it up! Like in the movies: How hard is it to just take your popcorn box out with you and throw it in the bin?

But really, dancers can't go outside every time they need to eat or drink and wait in a five foot long line, and then get something totally unhealthy and greasy (not to mention unsafe for kids with special food needs), because either
A: They miss their dance
B: They lose their seats
C: They lose track of how many dances are before theirs
Or
D: A kid with special food needs goes into anaphylactic shock just before their dance

It's just utterly stupid.
Special dietary needs should be taken into consideration, especially at an all-day thing with the potential for hundreds of over-tired, hungry, crabby kids who don't want to/can't eat concession stand food. Not pretty. And I don't know about anyone else out there, but if I eat something heavy or fatty (like a hot dog or a couple of slices of pizza...food like you would buy at a concession stand) and then try to do a jig, I'm going to throw up. Sorry for the image, but it's the truth. As long as the trash left behind is kept to a minimum, I don't see the problem with bringing special food in....

I mean, come on? Really? Searching your bags when you go in and throwing away any foods and drinks that you've brought in? Are granola bars, Pop-Tarts, healthy sandwiches, stuff to make salads, and water bottles really gonna hurt anyone? Oh, let me guess! You're sneaking poison into them and swapping them with another dancer's food when they're not looking to raise your chances of winning!
OH COME ON. -_-

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Sat 12th Dec 2009

Please forgive me, but the people in charge of making those rules are complete, utter morons!
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 12th Dec 2009

I KNOW, right?!
I don't know about you guys, but if I tried to eat something greasy and fat-laden and then tried to do a treble reel, I'd throw up.
Heck, even a lyrical dance or a jazz dance and I'd throw up.

Also--Okay, so these little girls are mondo talented and cute, but OH MY GOSH THIS IS SICK! THEY'RE SEVEN YEAR OLDS!!!

Sure, they're talented, sure they're having fun, but their parents deserve to be bashed in the head with a stick for letting them dance like that!!

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Sat 12th Dec 2009

^Yesho; that dance is not made for 7 year olds xD

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Sat 12th Dec 2009

^This world is so corrupt.
(Get on Facebook)