The Dance Club

Anyone can start or join a club in here.
A Passing Bookworm
LEPretrieval Team Member

Re: The Dance Club

Post by A Passing Bookworm » Mon 12th Jul 2010

I can never do a left split correctly. My body will always turn to the wrong side, and if I try to do it correctly, I can't do it at all. D: Gr... I can do a right split ok, though.

Ugh... Go any advice for a sprained toe? I fell down a flight of stairs, and my toe got sprained. I'm using traditional medicene that sort of works like alchohol to relieve the swelling and the sprain, but should I see a doctor? It's pretty badly bruised, too... o.o I don't wanna have to miss more ballet class because of this, so...
for a very important date!

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Sun 18th Jul 2010

My advice is to get an icepack or a bag of frozen vegetables, wrap them in a towel and put them on your foot. Use one of those stretchy Ace bandages to keep the icepack on and to compress your foot (and toe) a bit, and pile up as MANY blankets and books and pillows as you POSSIBLY can to keep your foot elevated (above heart level if possible). You might want to see a doctor too, because your injury COULD be worse than it looks.
ALSO, I have the same problem in the splits as you... except I can't do my right split correctly and I can do my left split correctly. Go figure. XD
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

A Passing Bookworm
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by A Passing Bookworm » Sun 25th Jul 2010

My exams coming up in September and I'm totally unprepared! D: Im so gonna die... I barely know my dance and my set work, I can't remember all the terms for free work... Noooooo... :(

I now have 5 hours of class per week. 2 and a half on each weekend. Oh my!
for a very important date!

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 15th Oct 2010

Due to an unknown mod who was very generous, our club has been unlocked and will hopefully be back up and running soon :D
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Sat 16th Oct 2010

...And I swear it wasn't me. :lol:

Even though I am firmly in the camp that states that dance isn't really a performing art in the way acting is. Let me elaborate on that: when you act, or sing, you're doing it for someone else. But when you dance, you do it for yourself.

I don't really see the point of acting if you're never going to share it with anyone. Same for singing. But dance? Well, I do ice dancing, a bit, and whenever I set skate on the rink, whenever I make a jump, or glide along on one foot, or go in a circle backwards, I'm doing it out of sheer enjoyment of what I'm doing. I'm fairly good at it, but I don't care if anyone's watching, though, usually, people are. You just don't get that with acting or singing.

I've had that stewing in the back of my mind for a while, and figured this was as good a place as any to share it.
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Mon 18th Oct 2010

*claps* Well said, Julissa, well said :D
Like, when I dance, I feel really good about myself when I see people clapping for me or hear people saying things like "She's really good", but I would gladly dance without any of that--in fact, I actually prefer dancing when there's no one else around because I feel like when I dance in my basement by myself with no one watching, I really do my best--I can really get outside of my box without being embarrassed to do so. So I guess I dance for myself most of the time, too. XD

artemisfowlexpert1
Dwarf Thief

Post by artemisfowlexpert1 » Wed 20th Oct 2010

Bravo. I can't get my right splits down all the way and its making me mad. I can do my left side fine though. any suggestions? by thew way you wanna know something? i got shin splits in both of my shins at one point and i was like "OMG what do i do !?" it eventually heeled so word of advise, if you ever get shin splits( which is pain in your shin most likely on top of your ankel) roll your ankel around and find out what gave it to ya. My arch was failing thats how i got mine.
guess what?! My clogging group is getting auditioned into the sperbowl this friday!! I'm so excited!! I hope we get in!! so wish us good luck , btw my group is called Texas Gold Cloggers. my teacher told us about the auditions and we were all like, " OMG we gotta get in!! we are so gonna win!!" now we just need to clean up our dance. wow that was long!
<3 Psalm 23 <3Image
DANCER SWAG
My weapon is my BODY, my element is WATER, my world is SWIMMING.
"Real revenge, is making something of yourself."- Gerard Way
Long live the ROMANCE

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 22nd Oct 2010

Today I realized something.
I was watching this video (KATE JABLONSKI IS A PHENOMENON!!!) and realized it.

Dance doesn't have to be full of tricks and impressive things and it doesn't have to show off your flexibility and it doesn't have to be sexy.
Fill it up with yourself--with your emotions, with your passion, dedication, how much you love dance and how much you love everything relating to it (such as friendships). Fill it up with emotion, make it as POWERFUL as you can get it and it'll be just plain freakin' amazing.
The other day in my dance team we were doing our dance for a different teacher than the one who teaches us to get criticism. She said "You guys are AMAZING and AWESOME and I love you but... some of the littler things, you can make bigger. Like the step kick, step kick part of it, some of you are looking really bored with it. KICK with power, look happy and energetic because that's the theme of the song even though you're kinda sorta only bouncing and kicking, and it'll make it AWESOMER!!!" (lol I love that teacher XD)
But really... she has a point. It doesn't have to be a super high kick, all you have to do is fill it up with emotion and it becomes awesome.
I'm sounding like a crazy person, I know, but it's true! XD

Julissa Holly Fowl
LEP Commander

Post by Julissa Holly Fowl » Sun 14th Nov 2010

I'm now officially an Irish dancer! :P
AWARENESS+ACTION=IMPACT.

Réaltaí Rince na hÉireann
Irish Dance, always and forever!

http://realtairinceeireann.blogspot.com/

HollyShort9

Post by HollyShort9 » Fri 24th Dec 2010

^WOO!!!

Oh, and I found an awesome list: "You Know You're A Dancer When". There's two versions of these that I found, one is specifically for Irish dancers and one is just for dancers. Since the latter one is the more broad-horizoned one (which we need in this club!), that's the one I'll be posting.
I'm guilty of almost ALL of these. XD

You know your a dancer when...
You dance down the hallway instead of walk.

You perform calmly before crowds yet suffer anxiety during school tests.

You are well coordinated in class but trip over your own feet walking.

A new leotard makes your whole day.

The top shelf in your closet is stuffed with your old costumes and dance shoes.

You can't sit still when you hear music.

You know a combo to every song that comes on the radio.

You noticed every mistake made in a dance movie or TV show.

You sit in a straddle when you are watching TV.

You have blisters on your feet for life.

Your body cracks loud enough to stop class but you don't even hear it.

Your feet have more blisters than your toes.

You point your toes even during sit ups.

Practice makes perfect isn’t just a saying but a way of life.

All your friends are eating dinner while you are in class.

You can't remember a time when your feet were soft and uncallused.

Every hard floor is a place for practicing.

You know that the frog is not an animal, but a stretch.

You sit up straight in your chair work/school.

You don't dance for a week and even your brother notices.

You have an entire drawer devoted to your old dance stuff.

You have washboard abs from those 200 sit ups before class every day.

You own 25 pairs of shoes and 20 of them are 4 dance.

You have bigger muscles than the guys @ school.

Everything you do has to do with dance.

You suddenly can't count past 8.

You look for good dance web sites whenever u r online.

You sit in a straddle on the floor comfortably.

Watching TV is not a time to relax but to stretch.

Before everything you do you say 5-6-7-8.

You laugh at a non-dancer when they say their feet hurt.

You defend dance with your life when friends make fun of it.

You point your toes during pull-ups in gym class.

You don't mind when people tell you your feet stink.

You have bobby pins on the floor around your whole house.

You do not think its weird when boys wear tights.

The first impression people have on you is dance.

You have tons of makeup but rarely where it to work/school.

You are at the studio more than you’re home.

Dance is life and the rest is just spare time.

Your vocabulary includes Band-Aids, wedgies, sweat, determination, and guts!

People mistake you for a rubber band.

You know most barres aren't in jails.

You have the ability to balance your body on five toes, yet cannot bend over to pick the clothes up off the floor of your room.

You walk with your toes first unconsciously.

You carry a bottle of nail polish around in your purse to stop those darn runs in your tights.

Your dad bought stock in BandAid.

You can learn the dances to music videos like that (snaps fingers).

All the things you get for Christmas relate to dance.

When you are walking, you count your steps but only go up to 8 and start all over again.

You never leave home with out your hair spray and bobby pins.

You have memorized every color tights of they sell at the local dancewear store.

You have ever fallen asleep in the splits.

You have ever said "200 sit-ups…no prob."

Glitter is imbedded in you skin for life.

Instead of calling rooms “rooms,” you call them "studios."

You consider tights a fashion accessory.

At the start of the new school year, the first pictures in your locker are the ones from dance camp.

You refer to half time of a football game as "intermission."

You have never heard of the words whining and wimps.

You seem at least 5 inches taller to everyone from walking on the balls of your feet all the time.

The "Simple Life" to you is dance practice 6 days a week, 8 hours a day. (((This is a note from HS9: no, no, no. The "Simple Life" to me is dance class 7 days a week, and 2 hours of simple practice [or more] almost 7 days a week. I guess you could say I'm dedicated.)))

You practice your leaps and turns down empty aisles in the supermarket.

You're more comfortable in dance clothes than in your regular clothes.

You don't worry what you look like in a bathing suit. It's just like your leotard, and you wear that every day.

Center stage isn't a place, it's home.

You own hair gel. LOTS of hair gel.

You have to ask, "Do you mean class class or dance class?"

"What's your studio?" is a conversation starter.

You use the time you're logging on the internet or booting up the computer to practice splits.

You don't understand when people don't know what plies are.

You scare people 'cause you kick so high.

When you hear music, you start counting in series of 8s.

You can whip up a ponytail in 5 seconds flat.

You walk around your house in releve to strengthen your calves. (((I DO THIS BECAUSE I WANNA GET MY CALVES STRONG FOR POINTE!! WOOO!!! XD)))

Everyone at work/school knows you as…"You mean the one who can walk on her toes?"

Everyone at schools says, "You just have to dance in the talent show."

You’re glad rehearsals are indoors so they never get called off cause of bad weather.

You carry yourself like a Diva: back straight, head up, long back, shoulders straight.

artemisfowlexpert1
Dwarf Thief

Post by artemisfowlexpert1 » Thu 24th Feb 2011

thts a looooonnnnnggg list... anyway good news!! im doing a lyrical dance to the song fix you by colplay! i love the dance its awesome. n also there is another group of point dancers besides my group(they r younger than us...) n they r trying to make thier dance for the opening number at recital better than ours... fat chance...lol
<3 Psalm 23 <3Image
DANCER SWAG
Long live the ROMANCE

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Post by Felina » Sun 1st May 2011

Last year I was going in Dancing school ''Smile''. We were learning some kind of hip-hop and jazz dance mix. We had a show, but I didn't come because I've got pneumonia :(

Anyway it was fun to learn how to dance, so I'm in :D
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

artemisfowlexpert1
Dwarf Thief

Post by artemisfowlexpert1 » Mon 4th Jul 2011

Awesome.

I think this vid was only rehearsal.
I have a solo in the in the middle of the dance, when the song says "just what youre worth". At the end of the dance, there are girls dancing in the center of the stage and girls dancing around them. I come like right in front of the camera and stay there for a while. I am very tall and brunette and skinny-ish and tan and there is a short brunette skinny girl in front of me. Idk its hard to tell. But this dance was better during the actual recital.
<3 Psalm 23 <3Image
DANCER SWAG
Long live the ROMANCE