Bible Study Club.

Anyone can start or join a club in here.

What should we study.

A specific book.
27%
Just post what verse one liked in one's personal devotions
60%
A specific Topic.
13%

Total votes: 15

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Bible Study Club.

Post by Visorak16 » Wed 2nd Sep 2009

I read the club applications and it said that this was approved.
Okay, here are the rules(which should just be basic)
1# No double posting
2# No spam(as in just posting a blank post or whatever just clogs the system)
3# Any member can ask for a heated discussion to stop. We should respect the member's wish. This is Bible study, not Bible wars.
4# No profanities or bad language. If someone says that someone else is using mild language and wants the person to stop, please do.
5# This is not a debate about whether the Bible is true.(There's already a debate about that). Feal free to ask questions, but let's keep it to just at that.
6# Try to spead the word about this club to any friends you think would enjoy this.
7# Don't insult people. I know this is sometimes unavoidable, but try to avoid it.
First matter of bussiness is what we want to study?

I'll start off with some verses that caught my eye durring my devotions.
Psalm 117:1-2 "Praise the LORD, all you Gentiles! LAud Him, all you peoples! For His merciful kindness is great towards us, and the truth of the LORD endures forever. Praise the LORD." Being a non-Jew, this verse has special meaning to me.
Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the LORD has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."
Psalm 119:105 "YOur word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Last edited by Visorak16 on Thu 3rd Sep 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Visorak16 is proud to present All or Nothing My Book!

KierisaNOT12
it's over 9000

Re: Bible Study Club.

Post by KierisaNOT12 » Wed 2nd Sep 2009

OH BOY!

Your a blasted ended skank headed bafoon and you smell like banthy poo doo!

what, it said I'm allowed.

Anyway, I'd love to join this club :) Since Homeschool club is down, I guess I don't have to worry about being in too many clubs :D

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

That's good. Did you read anything interesting today?

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Wed 2nd Sep 2009

I'm quitting the Loveless Fangirls for this club. (I haven't been active in there lately anyway. Too much weirdness. No offense to the Fangirls.)

Anyways, this is one verse that caught my eye:

Acts 6:1 to 7:60 (Sorry it's so long!):

1 Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.
2 Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables.
3 Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business;
4 but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”
5 And the saying pleased the whole multitude. And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch,
6 whom they set before the apostles; and when they had prayed, they laid hands on them.
7 Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.
8 And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and signs among the people.
9 Then there arose some from what is called the Synagogue of the Freedmen (Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and those from Cilicia and Asia), disputing with Stephen. 10 And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke.
11 Then they secretly induced men to say, “We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.”
12 And they stirred up the people, the elders, and the scribes; and they came upon him, seized him, and brought him to the council.
13 They also set up false witnesses who said, “This man does not cease to speak blasphemous words against this holy place and the law;
14 for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and change the customs which Moses delivered to us.”
15 And all who sat in the council, looking steadfastly at him, saw his face as the face of an angel.
7:1 Then the high priest said, “Are these things so?”
2 And he said, “Brethren and fathers, listen: The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Haran,
3 and said to him, ‘Get out of your country and from your relatives, and come to a land that I will show you.’
4 Then he came out of the land of the Chaldeans and dwelt in Haran. And from there, when his father was dead, He moved him to this land in which you now dwell.
5 And God gave him no inheritance in it, not even enough to set his foot on. But even when Abraham had no child, He promised to give it to him for a possession, and to his descendants after him.
6 But God spoke in this way: that his descendants would dwell in a foreign land, and that they would bring them into bondage and oppress them four hundred years. 7 ‘And the nation to whom they will be in bondage I will judge,’ said God, ‘and after that they shall come out and serve Me in this place.’
8 Then He gave him the covenant of circumcision; and so Abraham begot Isaac and circumcised him on the eighth day; and Isaac begot Jacob, and Jacob begot the twelve patriarchs.
9 “And the patriarchs, becoming envious, sold Joseph into Egypt. But God was with him
10 and delivered him out of all his troubles, and gave him favor and wisdom in the presence of Pharaoh, king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house.
11 Now a famine and great trouble came over all the land of Egypt and Canaan, and our fathers found no sustenance.
12 But when Jacob heard that there was grain in Egypt, he sent out our fathers first. 13 And the second time Joseph was made known to his brothers, and Joseph’s family became known to the Pharaoh.
14 Then Joseph sent and called his father Jacob and all his relatives to him, seventy-five people.
15 So Jacob went down to Egypt; and he died, he and our fathers.
16 And they were carried back to Shechem and laid in the tomb that Abraham bought for a sum of money from the sons of Hamor, the father of Shechem.
17 “But when the time of the promise drew near which God had sworn to Abraham, the people grew and multiplied in Egypt
18 till another king arose who did not know Joseph.
19 This man dealt treacherously with our people, and oppressed our forefathers, making them expose their babies, so that they might not live.
20 At this time Moses was born, and was well pleasing to God; and he was brought up in his father’s house for three months.
21 But when he was set out, Pharaoh’s daughter took him away and brought him up as her own son.
22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and deeds.
23 “Now when he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren, the children of Israel.
24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended and avenged him who was oppressed, and struck down the Egyptian.
25 For he supposed that his brethren would have understood that God would deliver them by his hand, but they did not understand.
26 And the next day he appeared to two of them as they were fighting, and tried to reconcile them, saying, ‘Men, you are brethren; why do you wrong one another?’
27 But he who did his neighbor wrong pushed him away, saying, ‘Who made you a ruler and a judge over us?
28 Do you want to kill me as you did the Egyptian yesterday?’
29 Then, at this saying, Moses fled and became a dweller in the land of Midian, where he had two sons.
30 “And when forty years had passed, an Angel of the Lord appeared to him in a flame of fire in a bush, in the wilderness of Mount Sinai.
31 When Moses saw it, he marveled at the sight; and as he drew near to observe, the voice of the Lord came to him,
32 saying, ‘I am the God of your fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.' And Moses trembled and dared not look.
33 ‘Then the LORD said to him, “Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.
34 I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt; I have heard their groaning and have come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send you to Egypt.”’
35 “This Moses whom they rejected, saying, ‘Who made you a ruler and a judge?’ is the one God sent to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the Angel who appeared to him in the bush.
36 He brought them out, after he had shown wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red Sea, and in the wilderness forty years.
37 “This is that Moses who said to the children of Israel, ‘The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear.’
38 “This is he who was in the congregation in the wilderness with the Angel who spoke to him on Mount Sinai, and with our fathers, the one who received the living oracles to give to us,
39 whom our fathers would not obey, but rejected. And in their hearts they turned back to Egypt,
40 saying to Aaron, ‘Make us gods to go before us; as for this Moses who brought us out of the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him.’
41 And they made a calf in those days, offered sacrifices to the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands.
42 Then God turned and gave them up to worship the host of heaven, as it is written in the book of the Prophets:
‘Did you offer Me slaughtered animals and sacrifices during forty years in the wilderness,
O house of Israel?
43 You also took up the tabernacle of Moloch,
And the star of your god Remphan,
Images which you made to worship;
And I will carry you away beyond Babylon.’
44 “Our fathers had the tabernacle of witness in the wilderness, as He appointed, instructing Moses to make it according to the pattern that he had seen,
45 which our fathers, having received it in turn, also brought with Joshua into the land possessed by the Gentiles, whom God drove out before the face of our fathers until the days of David,
46 who found favor before God and asked to find a dwelling for the God of Jacob.
47 But Solomon built Him a house.
48 “However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:
49 ‘ Heaven is My throne,
And earth is My footstool.
What house will you build for Me? says the LORD,
Or what is the place of My rest?
50 Has My hand not made all these things?’

51 “You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears! You always resist the Holy Spirit; as your fathers did, so do you.
52 Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who foretold the coming of the Just One, of whom you now have become the betrayers and murderers,
53 who have received the law by the direction of angels and have not kept it.”
54 When they heard these things they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed at him with their teeth.
55 But he, being full of the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at the right hand of God,
56 and said, “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!”
57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, stopped their ears, and ran at him with one accord;
58 and they cast him out of the city and stoned him. And the witnesses laid down their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.
59 And they stoned Stephen as he was calling on God and saying, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.”
60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice, “Lord, do not charge them with this sin.” And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

Sorry it's so long, but if I didn't do the whole thing, you might not fully understand it and know why Stephen was stoned. I think it was a good example for us, because even though Stephen was stoned for doing nothing, he begged the Lord to forgive them as he died by their hand.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Hey, you can't read too much of the Bible. Psalm 119:97 says "Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meitation all the day."
This is a good example for us. When we feal persecuted, we should pray for those who persecuted us.

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Post by Feandril » Thu 3rd Sep 2009

I'd like to join, if you don't mind, and share some of my views with you... :)
Place My Body On A Ship And Burn It To The Sea
Let My Spirit Rise, Valkyries Carry Me
Take Me To Valhalla Where My Brothers Wait For Me
Fire Burning To The Sky My Spirit Will Never Die!

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Visorak16 » Thu 3rd Sep 2009

Go right ahead. This is what this thread is for, reading the Bible and talking about it. :razz:

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Well, I can't say I have a favorite verse... I don't like to separate Bible into verses.

What I recommend everyone here is that they read the scripture daily. Especially the New Testament(but the Old one too!). I suggest that you read it before sleep or any time of day you have free time. Important thing is not to read much, but be focused on what you're reading.

And in the light of that, I will be asking all of you people some question, beginning with this...
Have you read genealogy of Christ? Both Matthew and Luke? Do you notice any differences? Go ahead and check it. :)

And two parts of Bible just came to my mind! One which is well known to all of us: The story of Jesus and the adulteress.
This one really teaches humility and compassion we should all embody. It's really a beautiful lesson on both wisdom of our Lord and way of treating non-believers, sinners, even enemies... I don't feel I should add anything further.

But there is another beautiful, very emotional part I absolutely love. It is found in the gospel of Mark(9:14 - 9:24)
9:24 beautifully sums up a spiritual path and altogether spirit we should seek to uphold. Both the will for the love of God and TO LOVE God, but the awareness of our own powerlessness to do so.
Desperate man seeks refuge in the Lord and cries out: "I believe Lord, help my unbelief!"
You can easily use this one as a prayer. I can imagine someone saying it after realizing his sin, or realizing his inability to perform the will of our Lord, which is, if you really get right down to it, where we all fall short.

All in all - two verses worth meditating upon.

God bless and keep your faith strong! :)

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

I think that you can make some very good points(when you aren't mad at people :lol: ). The two geneologies are different, but it's because they both come from different parts of Jesus's family. The one in Mathew is Jesus' legal geneology through Joseph. The other is about Mary's ancestors. Some might wonder why put Joseph's geneology in the Bible, when he wasn't the biological father of Jesus. My pastor told me in one of his sermons that the royal line was cursed by God because of the great wickedness. This curse would prevent anyone of that line to become king. This would make quite a problem, since Jesus was supposed to be the legal heir to the throne of David. Through Mary, Jesus did descend(if you can call it that), through David, and through Joseph, Jesus became the legal heir to the throne.

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Oh I mostly pretend to be mad to try and make my point... although I won't say I am not at least slightly infuriated occasionally.

Good, good! But what about time differences in gospels of Matthew and Luke? There is a 10 year difference on the account of Jesus' birthday.
Matthew describes it as "In the time of Herod's rule"
Luke says it was quite near the Census of Quirinius" You can check the wikipedia for information on this. You will find that difference is about 10 years.

This can, of course, be regarded as a minor mistake - probably by Luke, but have you got another explanation?

And that shall be all from me tonight. A wise teacher once said "It is never good to speak of too many things, people will forget them all. Speak of 3 subjects - and no more"

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Fortunately, I have a John MacArthur study Bible. Luke was a very careful historian. To quote John MacArthur "A fragment of stone discovered Tivoli(near Rome) in A.D. 1764 contains an inscription in honor of a Roman official who, it states was twice governor of Syria, and Phoenicia during the righn of Augustus. The name of the official is not on the gragment, but among his accomplishments are listed details that, as far as is known, can fit no one other than Quirinius. Thus, he must have served as governor in Syria twice."

iwuvarty
LEPrecon Officer

Post by iwuvarty » Thu 3rd Sep 2009

Hmm.. lets see.
I"M IN!!! :D

I like Romans 8. (I don't have time to write it.)
Read my pathetic stories I wrote on -----
https://www.fanfiction.net/~thescarletibis

View my horrible drawings on -----
https://koreanchic.deviantart.com/

In Af fanfiction, I'm theScarletIbis!
Check out my stories:
https://artemisfowl.fangathering.com/fanfiction/author/TheScarletIbis/

Visorak16
LEPrecon Officer

Cool. I'm glad to see this club come to life.

Here's some from my devotion's this morning.
Psalm 127 "1Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He gives His beloved sleep. Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happly is the man who has his wuiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed but shall speak with their enemies in the gate."

iwuvarty
LEPrecon Officer

Post by iwuvarty » Thu 3rd Sep 2009

Amen!
Read my pathetic stories I wrote on -----
https://www.fanfiction.net/~thescarletibis

View my horrible drawings on -----
https://koreanchic.deviantart.com/

In Af fanfiction, I'm theScarletIbis!
Check out my stories:
https://artemisfowl.fangathering.com/fanfiction/author/TheScarletIbis/

Feandril
Centaur Genius

Oh... now there's something I don't like. Your sig, iwuvarty.
Please take what I will say as a critique with best intentions.

Well, first of all - your sig contains a theological mistake. You can't know you're saved. You're not saved yet, God tells people they're saved - not people to people or to themselves.

Next is the fact that your sig is so... well, religious.
Lord thought us humility. He thought us that if we do good deeds, that we shouldn't show off about it. So don't show off about Christianity.
More than anyone, I am happy to talk about Christianity when people show initiative to talk about it - but I'll never go around and talk too much about it:
1) It won't convert people, quite the opposite!
2) I wouldn't like to show off with my faith.

So please... I really feel like my Lord is being used as a social tag, here - you can be a good christian even if you don't tell it to everyone.
Because, remember - "not everyone who says Lord, Lord, will enter into the kingdom of heaven..."
Saying Lord, Lord is emphatically proclaiming Jesus is the Lord, God, Savior. You're doing the same with your sig. And it's counter-productive as we all had the chance to witness... 2 days ago?

And finally, HS9 is not your only sister. We are all brothers and sisters, even though some may not be exactly obedient to Father. But should we cut them off and call them not our kin? Or should we call upon love to try and unite this family...
This, also, what you are doing, is counter-productive to any and all spreading of Christianity. Nor is it good to do(as I explained), nor do people consider it good.
We must show a great deal of patience, forgiveness, humility and most of all - love. And nothing should get in the way of that - in the way of saving souls, especially not signatures...

This is my opinion - please do not be offended as it is a very common mistake and one I have made myself once, accidentally(or maybe more?). Take it as a well intended critique, I suppose... :)