[Discussion] Re: Rules Regarding Clubs

Anyone can start or join a club in here.
darvit
Council Member

Re: [Discussion] Re: (Temporary) Rules Regarding Clubs

Post by darvit » Sat 22nd Dec 2007

BlackOpal wrote:Edit: And girls, they were hardly copycats. There have been clubs on here before, they weren't exclusive though. Anybody can join.
Like the -1000 thread was almost a club for a little while, and there's the Procrastinator's support group and club.
They were just threads that anybody could post on. You weren't the first club, just the first exclusive one.
So please be nice.

I agree with BlackOpal. They were hardly copycats. Little "clubs" [most of them more like random "jokes"] have been around on FG for a long time now, such as:

Honestly, we [most of us, at least] love the idea of clubs--they add more fun into the forum! :D

But why did we suddenly put up some rules regarding clubs? Was there some cause for alarm?

I hate to be melodramatic, but yes, some things have got us all alarmed, to be honest. :( Those old "clubs" or "jokes" [I called the -1000 movement a joke and still do :lol: ] allow absolutely ANYONE to join. As BlackOpal said, you aren't the first club, just the first exclusive one. And yes, you may think that we are overreacting, but this is an issue.

[Please hear us out to the very end first.... Thank you.]

I heard that you guys took down the minimum post requirements for getting accepted into your club [thank you very much for taking it down!], but refusing to accept a member just because s/he did not take the time to get to know you girls better doesn't really suit the spirit of FG. I mean, we can see that you want to make your club more exclusive and I understand where you're coming from, but this isn't what FG is all about. We accept all members with open arms--you don't have to "get to know us first" before you can join.

It pains us to read long discussions on whether or not this girl is fit to join this club based on criterion A, B, or C. It almost resembles real-life cliques. While it is true that not all real-life cliques--and all cliques, in general--are bad [nothing wrong with the cliques, per se], the rejection that comes with the "membership application process" is something that we would like to bring down to a minimum [and completely eliminate], if possible. As I said earlier, this is not what FG is all about.

One of our old members, Lufgif, posted something that sums up what FanGathering is all about:
Lufgif wrote:I think that the whole point of a forum is to be a place without the cliques and exclusive groups of real life. FG=win.

On the same thread called A Tribute, BlackOpal said that:
BlackOpal wrote:The higher up posters don't have their own club
and we are afraid that this is what we're going to lose if we don't do something. If we didn't place these rules ahead of time, we fear that soon enough, the "higher up posters" are going to have their own little clubs. You guys may not notice it, but it is just safe to act ahead of time. I'm sure you guys don't really mind, right?

We're doing this because we want to preserve FG's newbie-friendly atmosphere. This is what makes us different from all the other forums, our laidback atmosphere. We just hope that you understand why this is a bit alarming to us.

And if you're still reading up to this point, I hope that you understand what we're getting at, and I am hoping that you'll share our same vision of keeping FG's special atmosphere intact. :D

<!--End of Cheesy, Melodramatic Stuff That You Rarely Get From darvit ;) -->
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Meova » Sat 22nd Dec 2007

So. That was a long post, when I'm just awake... *yawn* But I do get it. But the only thing there still is for me, that some people post a few times, and they then just dissappear. If we accepted them then, we have to delete them from our list and I from my French book, and if enough one day posters post on our thread to join, it could clog up the thread, and be annoying for the real, active members of our club. Do you also understand what I'm meaning? I mean, I'm happy to make our club bigger and to accept everyone, but to keep on looking who will post and who won't, can get a little annoying...
And yeah, it's quite early for me, so if this is not very clear, ask me tonight again :P
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Sat 22nd Dec 2007

It's a little annoying, but not that bad.
For your French book you could just wait a while to write them down, or you could keep it as a log of whoever has ever been in your club.
If they post once it won't do much to clog up the thread, and will just show you that you have people outside of FG who feel the same way that you do. It's a minor annoyance versus leaving newbies feeling alone and rejected.
I can understand what you mean, but do you understand how it is less of a problem than cliques?
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sat 22nd Dec 2007

I totally understand! I see where you're coming from and totally agree, I'm going to do everything in my power to stick to these rules because I don't want to make people feel left out :D .

MaeveCrowArtemis1
Council Member

Post by MaeveCrowArtemis1 » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

I'm glad that this is going to work out just fine!
The most important thing for us all is to help each other.You guys need to hear us and believe in us and we are going to do as much as we can to keep this place they way you like it.I understand that Meove is concerned about members that don't won't to be part of clubs(spammers)but I must agree with BlackOpal.It's pretty bad when you left out some new person who just want to be part of the group because he/she shares the same interests.Sometimes I'm annoyed when people register and leave without post or when they post only spams but that's less important then accepting member who want to stay.We can always delete posts that are spams or rude,that's not big problem!And as for knowing new members,like BlackOpal once said,what better way to know them better then talking with them about thing you all like and belonging to the same club!
Image Image
Blue is the colour,football is the game
we are all together and winning is our aim
so cheer us on through the sun and rain
cause Chelsea,Chelsea is our name

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

i try to talk to everyone, but not everyone answers so its not my fault i dont know them!
hello. my name is veelagirl.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

^ I get that too sometimes but maybe these people have got a good reason not to answer, they might not know you well enough, might not have the time, etc. Why not meet each other half way? Any how, I think we should trust the mods they wouldn't be mods if they didn't know what they were talking about :D .

Meova

Post by Meova » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

I think we should do what the mods say. They hopefully :P know what they're doing, and I don't like cliques at my school, so why make cliques here? Plus, you said exactly the right thing about the one-day-posters, so I agree with you on all points now. Oh, and BlackOpal, I was just joking about my French book :P It gives me something to do during classes ;-)
ImageImageImageImage

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

Aw, thanks a bunch for understanding guys. And putting (some) trust in us.
We just want to keep the forum newbie friendly. :D
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

Domovi
Dwarf Thief

Post by Domovi » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

Cuz' everyone's just gotta love noobs! (that was not sarcasm and neither is this.)
don't be hasty~
Fangorn (otherwise known as Treebeard)

I am a proud member of the Hyperactive club *Twitch*
I am a proud member of the procastinator's support group.
I am a proud member of the insane person's club.

MINERVA AND ARTEMIS FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!! MAX AND FANG FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!! MAXIMUM RIDE RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!! ' READ MAXIMUM RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get to making that atomic bomb tomorrow.... *Twitch*

Meova

Post by Meova » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

Well, if this forum wasn't newbie-friendly, I would've quit a long time ago. Just so you know :P
ImageImageImageImage

Cabaline

^ Yeah, I thought it would be hard joining a place where everybody has friends but I was accepted straight away-which is why I understand how important it is to be newbie friendly, even if it is just to give others the same warm welcome that I got!

BlackOpal wrote:Aw, thanks a bunch for understanding guys. And putting (some) trust in us.
We just want to keep the forum newbie friendly. :D

Yeah well we are a trusting and understanding bunch! :D

MaeveCrowArtemis1
Council Member

Post by MaeveCrowArtemis1 » Sun 23rd Dec 2007

Yeah guys,thanks for trusting and understanding!!!!
It's important to work together and understand each other!Thanks again,you're great!
Image Image
Blue is the colour,football is the game
we are all together and winning is our aim
so cheer us on through the sun and rain
cause Chelsea,Chelsea is our name

Cabaline

Awww thanks, as if my head isn't already swelled enough :D .

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Mon 24th Dec 2007

Meova wrote:Well, if this forum wasn't newbie-friendly, I would've quit a long time ago. Just so you know :P

pah, i wouldve stayed anyway. :D nobody can make me leave (except mods if they freeze my account, in which case, i will make another one :D)
hello. my name is veelagirl.