Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Anything about the Fowl books.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Post by Battery » Sun 26th Apr 2020

I'm so sorry again that this took so long!! Finally managed to knock out chapters 7 and 8 :)
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 19th Apr 2020
  • Mulch and Foaly are the only two that wind Root up deliberately to see if they can, no surprise that they get on
This made me smile a bunch :) Very true. I remember next to nothing about their later interactions, so that'll be fun to see
Cabaline wrote:"Why the movie rights alone will be worth a fortune" Don't make me bitterly sob
Lol. Same reaction. :lol: What do you bet that's one of the only lines in the movie that's taken directly from the book?
Cabaline wrote:I forgot how supremely awesome and hardcore Butler strapping on armour, and going toe to toe with a troll, was!
Me too!! And I love how when he gets going, literally everyone else just stops and watches in awe

I didn't get very many notes from Chapter 7 since I read it in such small chunks and pretty hastily, but here's what I took from Chapter 8:
  • I love the line about there being more than one kind of hunger, in relation to Artemis never having gone hungry. In the scene they mean things like hunger for power, but we know him a little better than that
  • The contrast between Cudgeon and Artemis is interesting. Both of them are driven by ambition, but it leads one away from friendship and the other towards it
  • Reading Butler as an adult is so different! As a kid you just sort of assume the adult character must at least mostly know what he's doing. It's sort of fun to read him running around the mansion internally screaming
ImageImageImage

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 26th Apr 2020

Omg yes, I got that from Butler too! As a kid you think he is this specially trainer, hyper-vigilant, master cool dude. But reading it as an adult, he worries more about being embarrassed, his job performance, and he adlibs a lot. Same as all of us really! :lol:
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sat 2nd May 2020

Happy Saturday :) It's almost sort of surreal to have read this whole book together, man. Thanks for sticking with it <3

I took some notes on chapter 9 and the epilogue, but then realized we should probably also get to talking about the book as a whole a little bit! Anything in particular that stuck out to anybody? :)

Chapter 9
  • The parallels between the end of this book and the end of The Last Guardian are probably more than just Artemis "dying," but that's the big one I remember. Holly's reaction is so different. :')
  • Just about everybody has doubts that the plan actually worked, even when they're telling all the others that it definitely did
  • I love the moment when Butler has finally had enough of Artemis's cryptic act.
  • I smiled at the bookending of something being "imperative to the plan," like how in chapter 1 it was "important to the plan"
Epilogue
  • "The fight was to continue across several decades," eh? Well, come on, Eoin ;)
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sat 2nd May 2020

Battery wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020
Happy Saturday :) It's almost sort of surreal to have read this whole book together, man. Thanks for sticking with it <3
It's been a great distraction and I have been very grateful of it! I am so excited to continue onwards :D <3
Battery wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020
  • The parallels between the end of this book and the end of The Last Guardian are probably more than just Artemis "dying," but that's the big one I remember. Holly's reaction is so different. :')
I don't really remember the ending to TLG as much as I do AF, but yeah, it's a lovely lil, everything comes full circle :D It's weird though because even though she doesn't know why, Holly says she mourns him. So maybe things didn't change that much? They always had a connection. The series messes with time and magic a lot, maybe their unexplained connection here, is to do with how they share magic in TLC in the future? I'm getting really tin-foily here :lol:

Here are all my thoughts on 9 and the epilogue:
  • Chapter 9
  • It only took watching Bulter die for him and be resurrected, and then defeat a troll, for him to appreciate the job he does, rather than just as a person who is always around
  • Arty is more baffled at the fact that he has been insulted than the fact that he is talking to a centaur
  • Bulter being unafraid to question Arty on ethics and recognise that they didn't deserve the kindness, shows pretty openly that he was never just a body in a suit, or a side-kick.
  • What I appreciate about Roots leaderships is that he admits when he doesn't understand something, even if it might result in being made fun of
  • Arty having that self-doubt and making a wish for his mother. He's still just a little boy bless
  • I forgot that Santa Claus was a fairy! :lol:
  • Awh that ending :')

Epilogue
  • That little 6% huh? Typical Argon :lol:
Battery wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020
I took some notes on chapter 9 and the epilogue, but then realized we should probably also get to talking about the book as a whole a little bit! Anything in particular that stuck out to anybody? :)
One thing that struck me that I really wasn't expecting, is how little of Holly we get. We don't actually get much character depth out of her until maybe right at the end. For me, reading it this time, it felt like the book mainly focussed on Arty, Butler, Root and Foaly. And that Juliet, Holly, Mulch and Cudgeon almost felt like the secondary characters? From what I remember, Holly gets developed much much more in TAI. What do you all think? :)
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 3rd May 2020

Hello all! So the following is a dirty running review of my thoughts ranging from Chapter 3 to the end. Be warned, there are some rants and a few many dorky one liner gags. But here ye be:

My two biggest questions right off the bat:

How and why had Holly let her magic get so low? We see on average later on Holly goes through her magic fairly fast. At least two “cycles” of “running hot” per book.
The “how” question goes something to the effect How has she survived this long? I guess actually it’s not that unusual. Dwarves and goblins have been known to lose their magic and can rely on their own natural talents….not that elves have any as far as I’ve been made aware beyond longevity. Centaurs don’t have any magic and manage to hoof it.
The Why is the more interesting one. Why has she let her magic run down? From the Hamburg incident?
One could reason that perhaps after that fiasco in conjuncture with her mother’s death, perhaps Holly felt she had let her mother down. She lost her mother’s omnitool (not that we learn that until ages later), she failed a mission.*
Perhaps it was a (dramatic) subconscious choice, that she was unworthy of the magic?

More likely, it’s meant to be a metaphor for something else. When she does get her magic back, she instantly feels better and is able to break out of the cell. She has a pep in her step. The magic could be interpreted as a metaphor for depression holding you back from believing in yourself.

Also, why bother shielding at all in the restaurant? You’re going to have to wipe them all anyway.

*Future(ish) /\rty: Turns out I had my facts wrong on how long she’s gone since the Ritual. Fear not, I’ll come back round to it…eventually.
LEPrecon uniforms were smart these days. Not like that top-o'-the-morning costume the force had had to wear back in the old days. Buckled shoes and knickerbockers!

Anyone else low-key imagining Young Root patrolling in such a uniform?
The LEP station doors were crammed with protesters. The goblin/dwarf turf war had flared up again..
Y’know, we don’t exactly have a lot of any goblin protagonists. A pyrokinetic fairy? I mean, come on! The application possibilities are endless…then again, it might make things too easy. Could you imagine if Artemis attempted to kidnap a goblin? Flames and chaos everywhere. :twisted:

In the station lobby, a kleptomaniac dwarf was busy picking the pockets of everyone else in the booking line, including the officer he was handcuffed to.
I love this is our soft introduction for Mulch. Absolutely true to his core. Even down to the self-defending waffle.

Holly forged past Root's office, hoping she would make it to her cubicle before ...
Wait. Holly has a cubicle?
I prefer to imagine she has one, but she has never used it. There’s a few office utensils that haven’t been looted (pens, paper clips). The decorations are sparse and consist most of patterns weaved by the spiders that have taken up residency in her cubicle.
One of the spiders actually uses the cubicle as an office for his law firm, Spinner and Spinner – Where there’s a web, there’s a way.
'SHORT! GET IN HERE!'
Holly sighed. Ah well. Here we go again.
Stowing her helmet under her arm, Holly smoothed the creases from her uniform and stepped into Commander Root's office.
Root's face was purple with rage. This was more or less his general state of existence, a fact that had earned him the nickname 'Beetroot'. There was an office pool running on how long he had before his heart exploded. The smart money was on half a century, at the outside.
To risk the Wrath of Roxanne, I always pictured Root as being the elven equivalent of Spider-Man’s Jonah Jameson. Both are described/written as being in a perpetual state of anger, with buzz cut hair, even down to a smokin’ cigar hanging out of their mouth.
Despite their exuberant external personas, both harbor the capacity to care more than they’re willing to let on. Because it just might kill them.
As a youth, you’d see both as being jerks and leave it there. However, in my December years, you can see that hey, Root has his orders as well, there’s higher up monitoring him and judging his actions as much as he judges and critiques Holly’s.
Btw, speaking of, about that office pool….

The best career opportunity she was ever likely to get...
I wouldn’t say that; Spud’s Spud Emporium seems like a solid job.

Holly felt an uncharacteristic anger take hold of her…
Yeah…definitely not uncharacteristic. Holly’s kinda feisty at times, to put it mildly

'Confidence is ignorance,' advised the centaur. 'If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know
The amount of times I have used this quote….

Hm. Root’s yammering on about Holly not having an invite….how were he and the Retrieval boys planning to enter the restaurant then? Just wait until the troll knocked murdered everyone inside and shambled out? Or knock the walls down…

Whoa. She hasn’t done the Ritual in four years?! Okay, so definitely not the Hamburg thing, she basically hasn’t….hm….okay. So my theory is that she stopped doing the Ritual after her mom died. Then that threw her in a depression which cumulated to this moment.
Root smiled dangerously. 'Don't worry, Foaly. I'm still running red hot. And I'll make up for my age with a really big gun...”
Oi, 80s American action cop flicks called. They want their cliches back.
The only items the commander was interested in were the wings on his back and the multiphase, water-cooled, tri-barrelled blaster strapped to his hip the most powerful production handgun under the world.
…..so you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
'Still though,' continued the newcomer, 'I don't suppose you girls ever did a decent day's work in your lives.' Again there was no reply. But this time it was because the dockers' mouths were hanging open in amazement.
Oh my Aphrodite, did he just assume their genders?
Science was taking the magic out of everything.
Great metaphor for life. The Mud Man equivalent being how today we have phones and oodles of smart devices that tell us when to eat, how to eat, how we slept, keep us in touch with our friends, is it going to rain, etc…
Whereas, “back in the day”, you went home before the streetlamps turned on, meeting with your friends at the mall or the drive-in was a natural happening, it didn’t have to be coordinated on four different social calendars.

Fill-In: *raises eyebrow* The drive-in? How old are you? This isn’t the fifties, dude.
She pointed a quivering green finger at the approaching commander. The gremlin mob turned on Root, and when they saw the triple-barrelled blaster on his hip, they kept right on turning.
It occurs to me…the only time we see or hear mention of the gremlin species is only in conjuncture with Root. One gets a cigar dunked in his coffee, another later on is swatted away as s/he’s trying to apply medical aid to Root.
Then they’re never mentioned again in the series.
What did you do to the gremlins, Julius?? What have you got against them???? What did they do to you????

Plot Acorns FTW!
'I thought so! This place is completely different. The humans have even managed to change the shape of the coastline.'
Come off it, man! That’s likely erosion. You can’t hold humans responsible for everything.
Root cursed himself for not thinking of it. They'd be having a right old giggle in the situation room. Of course it was a ship. Root dropped down a few hundred meters until its shadowy outline loomed through the mist. A whaler by the looks of it. Technology may have changed over the centuries, but there was still nothing like a harpoon to slaughter the world's largest mammal.
Kraken: Am I joke to you?
Keeping himself fully shielded, the commander stowed his wings in their sheath, advancing on foot across the deck. There were no other life forms showing up on his screen but, like Foaly said, the hull had a high lead content; even the paint was lead-based! The entire boat was a floating eco-hazard. The point being that there could be an entire battalion of stormtroopers concealed below decks and his helmetcam would never pick them up. Very reassuring.
I’m kind of digging these mind games. Obviously we the reader know (or we assume) Artemis, Butler, and Juliet are all on their own. That they don’t have some army of faceless goons like your standard megalomaniac. Not to mention any names, Opal.
But the fairies are facing something unprecedented. Something they haven’t had to deal with in centuries. Sure, they’ve heard stories of above-ground living, and the human-fairy war from their grandparents. But it’s just that, stories. Now they’re faced with the unknown in a world where they thought they knew everything.
Root hauled open the first hatch. It swung easily enough. The commander sniffed. The Mud People had greased the hinges with whale blubber. Was there no end to their depravity?
At least we’re efficient :D
'D'Arvit!' growled Root.(There is no point translating that word as it would have to be censored.)
Heeeeeeeeey!!! Our first D’Arvit!
'Zero ...' said the voice. 'Boom!'
I respect the addition of the boom.
Artemis put the computer to sleep and crossed to the main doors. Time for a little chat with their guest. Just as his fingers alighted on the brass handles, the door flew open before him. Juliet appeared in the doorway, cheeks flushed from haste.
'Artemis,' she gasped. 'Your mother. She ...'
Artemis felt a lead ball drop in his stomach.
'Yes?'
'Well, she says, Artemis ... Artemis, that your ...'
'Yes, Juliet. For heaven's sake, what is it?'
Juliet placed both hands over her mouth, composing herself. After several seconds she parted spangled nails, speaking through her fingers.
'It's your father, sir. Artemis Senior. Madam Fowl says he's come back!'
For a split second, Artemis could have sworn his heart had stopped. Father? Back? Was it possible? Of course he'd always believed his father was alive. But lately, since he'd hatched this fairy scheme, it was almost as if his father had shifted to the back of his mind. Artemis felt guilt churn his stomach. He had given up. Given up on his own father.
Kinda makes you wonder, what would he have done if his father had returned? Reckon he would have gone dark? Locked Artemis Senior and Angeline away until the affair was over? Or simply walked down and let Holly go without another word?

Ahhh, this Julius/Mulch repartee. <3
Fill-In: ….you realize there’s probably Slash fiction of those two?
….I did not consider that until now.
Something skittered past his foot. Mulch squashed it instinctively. It was a spider. Just a
spider.
'Sorry, little friend,' he said to the grey smear. 'I'm a bit on the jittery side.'
Hello, Spinner and Spinner? Yes, I’d like to report a homicide. Yes, I’ll hang.
One quick jiggle and the lock yielded. Only two tumblers. Terrible security. Typical of
humans, they never expected an attack from below.
Roxanne would have had at least six tumblers, along with a finger plate gel scanner, retinal scanner, and a voice password. Along with two burly bodyguards. She takes her wine very seriously.

~~

I absolutely have to give Eoin credit for so tastefully explaining dwarf mechanics. It’s clearly illustrated, you get the picture painted. And it’s a subject matter ripe for even the most cautious crafter of children stories to slip.
Mulch looked at the room again through his ion-sensitive eye. Each camera was emitting a faint beam, like the last evening sunrays. The rays pooled on a portrait of Artemis Fowl
Senior.
'Not behind the picture. Oh, please.'
That’s a dwarf who’s had too many clichés for a lifetime.

Man, if you’ll pardon the language, chapter 7 seems to be precisely where it all goes to hell for Artemis. Aye, he was….maybe not expecting things to go wrong, but he didn’t put it outside the bounds of possibility.
'A loop!' he cried, jumping from his chair. 'They're feeding us a loop!'
Over the speaker, he could hear Butler's pace quickening to a run.
'The safe room!'
In retrospect, it seems strange that’s where Butler’s priority would land. You might think “Hey, better check the prisoner” but I suppose you can argue that it’s the area he’s closest to, definitely. And Juliet is then assigned to check on Holly anyway. So…moot point.

He placed a palm against the wood, feeling for vibration. Nothing. No machinery then. Butler curled his fingers around the knob, twisting gently. With his other hand, he drew a Sig Sauer automatic from his shoulder holster. No time to fetch the dart rifle, it would have to be shoot to kill.
*giddy* ohhhh, that iconic SIG Sauer.

~~

Mulch’s “death”
So he has a copy of the Book from the safe that he takes with him, out of the house – there’s no designation that he destroys or ingests the Book. So when he goes to fake his death, does he dump the Book copy there? Or does he take it with him? Also worth noting is that in his death throes, he leaves behind LEP tech, the iris cam and the earpiece.
To our knowledge, none of those three artifacts are retrieved. More or less, I’m thinking of Book 3 and 4, with the memory wipe and LEP shutting down Artemis’s mind wipe escape tactics.
Highly unlikely any human would stumble upon them, but the possibility exists.

Cudgeon and Foaly. The two kinds of “friends” in this world: The ones you think are your friends and the ones who are there and have your back even when you’re a jerk to them.

The vast house was like a mausoleum - .without a single sign of life inside its vaulted rooms. Spooky portraits though. Each one with Fowl eyes, suspicious and glittering. Holly determined to torch the lot of them when she recovered her Neutrino 2000. Vindictive perhaps, but totally justified considering what Artemis Fowl had put her through.
I know, man. No manicures, no pedicures, no popcorn, or Gossip Girl, and the carrot sticks were all dried out. Worst sleepover ever.

And before Artemis's eyes had time to widen, Holly put an extra few kilos of spring in her elbow and whacked her abductor right on the nose.
'Oof,' he said, collapsing on to his rear end.
'Oh yes! That felt good.'
See? She’s always been violent.

~~

Lollipops. Can’t get much more iconic than that. Well, aside from the “Stay back human” line.

~~

Y’know, there’s a lot of button pushing in this book. But only Chix does it with aplomb.

Also, who does Cudgeon think he is, Captain America? Language, bah.

…This whole situation was shooting off in bizarre directions. Fairies, magic, and now a hostage loose in the manor. How could he be expected to control things? It took a four-man team to guard the lowliest politician, but he was expected to contain this impossible situation on his own.
The fact that he’s able to handle it all just goes to show what a freakin’ badass Butler is.

Dust clouds settled slowly, depositing a pale sheet on the Tunisian rug. Madam Fowl would have been furious, if she ever put so much as a toe outside the attic door.

Now that you mention it, the damage done to the house while under the time stop, is that tangible or superficial? As in, LEP trashes the house, when Artemis and Co. escape the time stop, does the damage follow them? Or is just at this juncture? Is it a delayed effect?
Earlier, it’s mentioned that were a person to enter house while the time field was operation would find the house empty “its occupants trapped in the past”
Say at that approximate moment some part of the house is destroyed in the time stop, would the damage translate into the “present” moment?
*shrugs* I have read this book countless times for more than ten years and will never understand the mechanics of the time stop.
'Amazing,' said Root.
'Tell me about it,' agreed Foaly
Nuff said.

It's such an iconic scene, it literally plays out in my head.
I think the powerloader scene with Sigourney Weaver in Aliens is about the rough equivalent. Even then, Butler beats Sigourney out.
'Is that the commander?'
A noise filtered through the black gauze. It sounded like a whinny.
'No. This is not the commander. This is Foaly, the centaur. Is that the kidnapping lowlife
human?'
It took Artemis a moment to process the fact that he'd been insulted.
'Mister ... ah ... Foaly. You have obviously not studied your psych texts. It is not wise to
antagonize the hostage-taker. I may be unstable.'
'May be unstable? There's no may about it. Not that it matters. Soon you'll be no more than a
cloud of radioactive molecules.'
Foaly has exactly zero D’Arvits to spare.

Do you reckon at this point part of him has written off Holly? That a nagging C3P0 part of his brain has rationalized Holly’s odds have gotten lower and lower for a safe return?

~~

Why does Artemis desire to make such a big deal that he can escape the time field? If it were me, I’d keep that to myself. Tipping your hand isn’t exactly a Fowl move. The hidden invite was clever. “No one can enter while I’m alive”
Is the time field a pride moment for him? Haha, I’ve figured out how to do what no one else has….except the fairies who have a cool portal thing.
Or is it to mislead the idea that maybe he’s insane?

Also, sidebar on invitations:
How do they work? Can only the “master”/owner of the house/dwelling/restaurant grant permission? Clearly not, as Artemis, while arguably filling the role, technically/legally is not the current owner of Fowl Manor. So essentially, is he able to grant permission? Possibly, under a residency type clause. This also works for earlier, in the scene with the restaurant, Holly hears a child cry for help, which is interpreted as an invitation. The child definitely has no legal ties to the restaurant beyond temporary visiting.
However, in Eternity Code, there’s a throwaway blurb where Juliet calls and asks to bring her invisible friend into the Phonetix HQ, which implies Juliet was unable to directly just tell Holly she could come inside. Perhaps if Juliet had entered, then granted permission?
I suspect the invitation jinx is partly psychological. As in, if a fairy rightfully knows the invitation doesn’t come from the proprietor, or an associate (with varying degrees of directness), then the permission wouldn’t be considered granted. However, if a fairy did believe the permission was valid, they’d be fine.
For example….
Let’s say you have a thief who breaks into a bank and calls up his two fairy mates – Tinkerbell and…Idk, Holly – to come over for pizza. Tinkerbell is psyched, bring on that Hawaiian and ham! She has no problem entering and bringing a few snacks. Holly, however, knows the thief has zero right to be there, much less granting an invite and is unable to enter.
Ultimately…the conclusion we can draw on this is the power of belief. If you believe your invite grounds are solid, you’re fine. Otherwise, hope you packed some Kaopectate.
Except that’s not 100% the case; the fairies entered Fowl Manor, fully believing they had ganked Artemis, yet still they suffered home invasion illness. The magic knew Artemis was still alive and thus his “invite” not yet valid.
Perhaps here I answer my own question on why Artemis so prominently mentions his ability to escape the time field: To plant at least a small seed of doubt to the fairies. Perhaps if he hadn’t planted it, they would have been able to enter Fowl Manor with utter confidence that its deceased resident had granted the invite.
*pants*
Sorry. This was rather ranty.

They seem to have flowing rules at any rate.

'Thank you, Artemis. We were in trouble for a moment there. If it hadn't been for the captain ...'
Artemis nodded. 'Yes. I saw. Healing, one of the fairy arts. I wonder why she did it.'
‘I wonder too,' said Butler softly. 'We certainly didn't deserve it.'
Artemis glanced up sharply. 'Keep the faith, old friend. The end is in sight.'
Butler nodded; he even attempted a smile. But though there were plenty of teeth in the grin, there was no heart.
'In less than an hour, Captain Short will be back with her people and we will have sufficient funds to relaunch some of our more tasteful enterprises.'
It struck for the first time reading this….there really is nothing personal here for Artemis. Yeah, this is all terrible, almost dark for a children’s book. Kidnapping depictions, psychological torture/torment, flirtations with genocide….
But it’s truly nothing for Artemis. He doesn’t even mean to be the bad guy here. He’s just working to achieve means to get to the goals. If that makes sense.
Does he care about fairies and exposing them or destroying them? No, beyond acquiring funds, he has no other use for fairies.
In an earlier chapter, it’s mentioned Artemis trawled through the great internet conspiracy theories: Occult, fairies, UFOs….who’s to say that Artemis didn’t find proof of each and every one of those things but settled on going after fairies since ET didn’t exactly have deep pockets?
Root's thumb accidentally brushed his knuckle, opening a tiny gas valve. The released gas propelled a tranquillized dart through the latex fingertip and straight into Cudgeon's neck. The Acting Commander, soon to be Private, sank like a stone.
Accidentally

~~

More ranting: Weird that the book (a centuries old thing) would have such detailed info on LEP proceedings. Like the Bible talking about hostage tactics.

Also, since the bio-bomb is so described multiple times as being finely tuned, to hitting within a blade of grass….isn’t it feasible Artemis and Co. could easily escape through a hidden passage unmarked on the house blueprints thus out of the bio-bomb’s radius?

~~

I'm almost surprised Butler wouldn't have been able to discern the tranquilizer by sight, excessive fizzing or color variation....but we can't expect him to be a complete superhero.
His first instinct is to attack and murder Artemis, his hand only stayed by his sister's presence. He never for a minute suspects, "Gee, maybe that dwarf left poison in our food/drink supplies"
He instantly knows this is Artemis. What he doesn't know is why, but he suspects treachery.
The man has been put through a lot this night....heck, even those long stakeout nights built their toll up...he's had his morals and ethics questioned, his sister's life has been put in peril several times. Everyone has their breaking point and now we're seeing Butler's: He'd follow Artemis straight to the gates of Hell, tip a toe over and only then wonder if this was the best course.

I think we have our answer on time stops and damage based on Angeline's question of what happened to the landing and Artemis's feeble remodeling line.

And now the final twist: Artemis wanting to heal his mother.
Now that I've come up with my Depressed Holly scenario, I can see an alternate story where Artemis specifically stalks after Holly, drawn to her by depression, unconsciously comparing her against his mother...

Do you reckon Artemis healed her out of love and compassion or, as Argon suspects, out of necessity? Even without the other books to base the answer off of, the fact it's revealed this entire novel is from the perspective of one of the quack psych fairy doctors lends this in a slanted light. Of course Argon will assume the worst of Artemis without ever truly knowing him.
And what's make Argon even less trustworthy as a narrator/profiler for Artemis's motives is the fact of how we're shown fairies are no better than humans. They too hunger for power and gold, they make mistakes, they make metaphors.

End Section
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020

Chapter 3
  • Fairies use metric system, even though they are older than it, when was this decided?
I guess even fairies recognize the "superior" system. :lol:
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020

Chapter 3
  • I don't think Root was actually gonna bring in Frond, I think he was doing it to push her and see what she would do.
Definitely not. I like to think he sees Holly as himself when he was younger / as the daughter he never had....that we know of anyhow.
  • It's interesting that some humans are able to use the mesmer. I can't remember if we ever actually see that in action, but it would be neat. Especially if Arty himself was able to use it (though someone like Butler might be more fun to see)

Eventually, in TTP we see Artemis employ a mesmer...I do recall in TLC Artemis realizes humans had been magical, like the fairies, but for some reason lost it?
Hm, perhaps the more technology the humans had developed furthered them away? No, the more their technology harmed the earth, the less in touch they became with nature and the magic within...
(Soz, I'm ranting about things we haven't even read yet! xD)
Battery wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020

• This will probably only make sense to Cab, but Foaly gives me heavy Let's Watch Jack vibes when dealing with Root
Oh the sass between those two, and Mulch! Mulch and Foaly would make an Olympic sport of annoying Root if they could.
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020
It's weird that Juilet is called by her first name, but even she calls Butler, Butler and not Domovoi.
That is weird! I never caught that. I would feel really strange calling a family member by our last name :lol: I wonder if she calls him by his first name in private, when there's no one around to hear.

Definitely weird. My suspicion would be she stopped referring to him as Dom/Domovoi after Madam Ko's academy.
And then also, there was the Butler who was assigned to Artemis Senior, I forget if he had a name...I think he might have. But then....if the Butlers are not supposed to reveal their first name...wouldn't that get confusing, calling for a Butler and have a dozen dudes come rushing out?

Cabaline wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020
Battery wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020

[*]It's interesting that some humans are able to use the mesmer. I can't remember if we ever actually see that in action, but it would be neat. Especially if Arty himself was able to use it (though someone like Butler might be more fun to see)
[*]This will probably only make sense to Cab, but Foaly gives me heavy Let's Watch Jack vibes when dealing with Root
When I read the mesmer bit, my mind went to dark places and made me think of super charismatic serial killers, people like Ted Bundy who would lure people in to help him.

Haahah, I love Foaly, he was always one of my faves :D
:shock:

....that explains a lot xD

~~

I'm loving these Sherlock metaphors.
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 19th Apr 2020

Chapter 7:
  • "Where you're going it ain't anything" reminded me of "Where we're going we don't need roads"
*squees in gigawatts*
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 19th Apr 2020

Chapter 7:
  • I love his beard being a natural antenna, I can imagine it gently rustling when he's standing still
Now I'm questioning whether we ever got a description of Mulch standing still with his beard swaying, as though being rustled by a gentle sea breeze.
Only they were inside. There was no breeze.
*horror movie blackout, followed by screams and noms*
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 19th Apr 2020

Chapter 8:
  • "Why the movie rights alone will be worth a fortune" Don't make me bitterly sob
I know, right?

Chapter 8:
  • Ah the troll fight! Butler's first death.
[/quote]

First death :lol:
I think everyone has to die at least once in the series.
*still waiting for Root and Vinyaya to resuscitate*
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 19th Apr 2020

Chapter 8:
  • First reference of section 8
Eh? Where??
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 19th Apr 2020

Chapter 8:
  • I forgot how supremely awesome and hardcore Butler strapping on armour, and going toe to toe with a troll, was!
Dude, I just love...efficiency. No panic. Just, "Alright. So much for the easy way."
That scene will forever be iconic.
Battery wrote:
Sun 26th Apr 2020
  • The contrast between Cudgeon and Artemis is interesting. Both of them are driven by ambition, but it leads one away from friendship and the other towards it
Good observation!
Battery wrote:
Sun 26th Apr 2020
  • Reading Butler as an adult is so different! As a kid you just sort of assume the adult character must at least mostly know what he's doing. It's sort of fun to read him running around the mansion internally screaming
That image is gold, him internally freaking out. There has to be a considerable part of him that's thinking how much easier life was before Artemis was around :lol:
Battery wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020

Chapter 9
  • I love the moment when Butler has finally had enough of Artemis's cryptic act.
I'm picturing that Angry Birds meme "Listen hear you..."
He's just done. No more BS'ing.
He's a bodyguard, through and through...but he's also a brother. The second he recognized a danger to Juliet, he contemplated betrayal. And the second he deemed her safe, he retracted his claws, so to speak.
Battery wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020

Epilogue
  • "The fight was to continue across several decades," eh? Well, come on, Eoin ;)
We're waiting, mate.
Cabaline wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020
  • Chapter 9
  • It only took watching Bulter die for him and be resurrected, and then defeat a troll, for him to appreciate the job he does, rather than just as a person who is always around
Like you said in Chapter 7, Butler really is like a father to him. He's always there and will defend his friends and family with his life.
Cabaline wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020
Battery wrote:
Sat 2nd May 2020
One thing that struck me that I really wasn't expecting, is how little of Holly we get. We don't actually get much character depth out of her until maybe right at the end. For me, reading it this time, it felt like the book mainly focussed on Arty, Butler, Root and Foaly. And that Juliet, Holly, Mulch and Cudgeon almost felt like the secondary characters? From what I remember, Holly gets developed much much more in TAI. What do you all think? :)
Hm. You're right, I guess it took Eoin a book or two to find a groove of who he liked writing about.
Some characters like Mulch and Cudgeon...and even Chix, we have subtle nods for sequel material, where maybe we don't hear much about them, but they're expounded on in later entries.

Vaguely, I remember if you translated the bottom pages, it went something about a goblin named Phlegm made a premonition about the uprising and said to watch out for someone who gets the "finger" i.e., Cudgeon.

I know I was an extremely lapsed reader, but it was fun going through and "tackling" the book with a "seasoned" mind and reading everyone's interpretations/decipherings. Seeing how things changed in the story, how the technologies changed.
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 3rd May 2020

^ Wow, that's a lot, nice! Don't worry about the timing of it all, glad you started and ended with us ^_^
Cabaline wrote:I don't really remember the ending to TLG as much as I do AF, but yeah, it's a lovely lil, everything comes full circle :D It's weird though because even though she doesn't know why, Holly says she mourns him. So maybe things didn't change that much? They always had a connection. The series messes with time and magic a lot, maybe their unexplained connection here, is to do with how they share magic in TLC in the future? I'm getting really tin-foily here :lol:
:lol: Could be! It's still weird to think that half of TTP has already happened at this point, come to think of it. Little Artemis has already dropped the diamonds to save Holly. I'm really looking forward to reading that one again, if we get to it! But also, Holly is just generally a pretty empathetic person, and I feel like it would mess her up a little bit to know she was (in her mind) partially responsible for the death of someone she'd spoken with face to face, especially since he's just a kid
Cabaline wrote:One thing that struck me that I really wasn't expecting, is how little of Holly we get. We don't actually get much character depth out of her until maybe right at the end. For me, reading it this time, it felt like the book mainly focussed on Arty, Butler, Root and Foaly. And that Juliet, Holly, Mulch and Cudgeon almost felt like the secondary characters? From what I remember, Holly gets developed much much more in TAI. What do you all think? :)
This is super interesting, and I'm really glad we're doing all this, because one of the things that I took away from it was how little of Artemis we get! The actual seige of Fowl Manor is mostly about Root, Butler, Mulch, and Foaly - we only check in on the two leads a couple of times. It definitely does feel more like an ensemble cast than I remember.
artymon \/ wrote:
LEPrecon uniforms were smart these days. Not like that top-o'-the-morning costume the force had had to wear back in the old days. Buckled shoes and knickerbockers!
Anyone else low-key imagining Young Root patrolling in such a uniform?
Well, now I am :lol: And also wishing I could draw
artymon I\/ wrote:Do you reckon at this point part of him has written off Holly? That a nagging C3P0 part of his brain has rationalized Holly’s odds have gotten lower and lower for a safe return?
I wouldn't be surprised if part of him had, a little bit. That really makes it sort of devastating that he's constantly been trying to contact Holly; he's addressing her specifically when she finally picks up the helmet, who knows how long he's been periodically giving her updates he knows she likely won't get
artymon \/ wrote:Do you reckon Artemis healed her out of love and compassion or, as Argon suspects, out of necessity? Even without the other books to base the answer off of, the fact it's revealed this entire novel is from the perspective of one of the quack psych fairy doctors lends this in a slanted light. Of course Argon will assume the worst of Artemis without ever truly knowing him.
And what's make Argon even less trustworthy as a narrator/profiler for Artemis's motives is the fact of how we're shown fairies are no better than humans. They too hunger for power and gold, they make mistakes, they make metaphors.
I do think it was love and compassion. Even if we're reading the book as Argon's file, the prologue establishes that all this was put together from first-hand interviews with "the victims" (which I'd assume means Holly, Root, Foaly, maybe the Kelps, etc). I don't think any of the scenes where none of those people are present can be Argon's point of view, and the depiction of Arty reuniting with his mother seems pretty unambiguously emotional to me.

Plus, we've already seen Argon and the other psychologist depicted as... maybe not the most insightful people :lol:
artymon \/ wrote:Eventually, in TTP we see Artemis employ a mesmer...I do recall in TLC Artemis realizes humans had been magical, like the fairies, but for some reason lost it?
And now I'm looking forward to TTP even more! :D
artymon \/ wrote:And then also, there was the Butler who was assigned to Artemis Senior, I forget if he had a name...I think he might have. But then....if the Butlers are not supposed to reveal their first name...wouldn't that get confusing, calling for a Butler and have a dozen dudes come rushing out?
This is an amazing image, and makes me really want a story set at some kind of Butler family reunion(-slash-boot-camp, probably) :lol:
artymon I\/ wrote:Vaguely, I remember if you translated the bottom pages, it went something about a goblin named Phlegm made a premonition about the uprising and said to watch out for someone who gets the "finger" i.e., Cudgeon.
I had completely forgotten about that! You're 100% right. That's such a subtle clue, I love it :)

--

Also, just to add a couple housekeeping things in case people check this thread and not Count to 40k - we're talking about starting TAI tomorrow, if anyone is interested! I'll add an "official" kickoff post when the time comes. And if you want to read with us but need some time before starting, tell us and we'll wait :)

Also, anybody who's read along with us this time around is free to use this little badge in their signature (or wherever, I guess :lol:) if you want to ^_^

Code: Select all

[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/842e32460b7adcfaeb161531de5d4886/112adaecb7a70c3b-f0/s75x75_c1/fa6b37f59b046679f7b5469c19cd1540b8449666.png[/img]
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along - Currently Reading: TIA

Post by Cabaline » Sun 3rd May 2020

Wow, that is a lot of info to digest. But I feel like we've dissected this one really well :D

And thank you so much AA for the siggy badge, I wear mine proudly ^_^

For anyone wondering about the schedule, this is what we have worked out, obviously, things can be flexible if needed to be :D

Week 1 (4/5) - Prologue, Ch 1 & 2 (35 pages)
Week 2 (11/5) - Ch 3 & 4 (29 pages)
Week 3 (18/5) - Ch 5, 6 & 7 (38 pages)
Week 4 (25/5) - Ch 8 (26 pages)
Week 5 (1/6) - Ch 9 & 10 (37 pages)
Week 6 (8/6) - Ch 11 & 12 (41 pages)
Week 7 (15/6) - Ch 13 (35 pages)
Week 8 (22/6) - Ch 14 & Epilogue (19 pages)

Enjoy reading everyone <3
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 4th May 2020

Happy May 4! :D Today we're starting our read-along of The Arctic Incident!

As before, we're going to go for starting discussions on the weekends - but feel free to carry on throughout the week :) And if anybody feels like that's not enough time to read or discuss, just say so and we'll change things around.

You do not have to have participated in our original AF read-along to jump in now, and you don't have to read with us or be caught up to participate in discussions. We'd love to have anyone who wants to hop in :) Though it doesn't cover the full week this time, you can find the prologue and chapter 1 on the main site.

Cabaline has posted our full schedule in the post just above this. But that's always open to change, if anybody needs to slow down! Just let us know, none of us mind :)

So, here we go! This week's reading (which will continue to be edited into the original post, for ease of access) is Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident; prologue, chapter 1, and chapter 2.
ImageImageImage

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sat 9th May 2020

*glances around*

Hello all! Glad to be back in the fireside circle...wait...wrong meeting... *swaps notes*

Okay, so, here are my notes for The Arctic Incident :

Prologue
  • Eoin has issues with sailors.
First he has Butler pick on those innocent dockworkers trying their best to make a dishonest buck, now here even the Russkies automatically assume the seamen to be thieving rapscallions.

Chapter 1 - Family Ties

I...honestly don't have many thoughts here. Kind of standard Artemis waffle. Someone tries to dissect/talk with him and he puts them through the ringer.
Kind of rooting for Po here, who hits it on the head: You don't respect anyone that isn't as intelligent as you.

Chapter 2 - Cruisin' for Chix
  • Holly has become a thrill seeker
    She clamors to disobey and run into fire. In the first book, I make a theory that she was going through a spot of depression and let her magic run down. Here, perhaps we're seeing an opposite effect.
    Instead of a "why bother" approach, she has a can do, or a must do compulsive need to succeed. The working theory is that she's trying to get back in the LEP's good graces.
  • Not only does she risk her own life, she endanger's Chix (who is a bit soft in the head anyway...)
    Healing has been established as a one shot deal. You get one go, then you’re stuck with what you’ve got (think Butler from TEC, the complications with the healing). Instead of waiting for the medical warlocks, she goes in to heal him herself. However, I can't say for sure how serious his injuries were. Maybe she did do the right thing, maybe there wasn't enough time to let him sit for the medics.
    So naturally, she immediately bails on him to give pursuit to two fleeing felons. Never once do we hear her shouting updates to Foaly or Root. "Two perps, heading down E37, get a shuttle to head them off...blah blah blah...."
  • In short, I side with Root. Holly acted recklessly.
  • Excuse you, the term is vintage shuttlecraft. Classic design too, you’d be foolish to pass up an opportunity like this. You can fit sooo many batteries inside this badboy.
  • Anyone else get the impression Holly has been using Artemis as the Carole Baskins equivalent for all the Lower Element’s issues in recent times? :lol:
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 9th May 2020

Chapter 1
I agree with Arty. I like how Po, while he does eventually fall into a trap by being too excited, does seem to make some very accurate observations. Even his father doesn't get a mention as someone he respects... The remark that he wasn't a good role model stings, but untruths rarely sting as much as the truth.
On the whole, however, he's not the best psychologist.

Chapter 2
Holly may insist on disobeying and Root may reprimand her for being reckless, but really Holly negotiated until Root gave in and gave permission. She's not obeying a direct order. And Root caved because he does trust her judgement and doesn't want her to get in extra trouble.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
Not only does she risk her own life, she endanger's Chix (who is a bit soft in the head anyway...) [...] Maybe she did do the right thing, maybe there wasn't enough time to let him sit for the medics.
So naturally, she immediately bails on him to give pursuit to two fleeing felons. Never once do we hear her shouting updates to Foaly or Root. "Two perps, heading down E37, get a shuttle to head them off...blah blah blah...."
In short, I side with Root. Holly acted recklessly.
Eoin does explain that at least three major arteries have been hit. And backup is on the way to make approaching Chix safe, but medics aren't mentioned as being on their way. I do consider going to Chix as the right thing. Following the felons immediately after, however, that was reckless.d

I remember Artemis being the brain and Holly being the heart and muscle, along with Butler. But the way she handled that flare... It was reckless to enter the building, but getting out of the situation required some very quick thinking. The characters around Artemis are far more intelligent than I gave them credit for. Perhaps because Artemis' genius is so very much emphasized..
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 10th May 2020

BLoemetje wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
Chapter 1
I agree with Arty. I like how Po, while he does eventually fall into a trap by being too excited, does seem to make some very accurate observations. Even his father doesn't get a mention as someone he respects... The remark that he wasn't a good role model stings, but untruths rarely sting as much as the truth.
Good catch! I didn't think of that with his father and the respect bit! Subtle, but kind of biting.
BLoemetje wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
I remember Artemis being the brain and Holly being the heart and muscle, along with Butler. But the way she handled that flare... It was reckless to enter the building, but getting out of the situation required some very quick thinking. The characters around Artemis are far more intelligent than I gave them credit for. Perhaps because Artemis' genius is so very much emphasized..
Very true. Holly came up with the coolant trick especially quick. The book essentially just shows it as her seeing them and instantly acting on it.
Image Image ImageImage
네이트

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sun 10th May 2020

BLoemetje wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
Yes I agree. Arty has brains, but Holly has centuries of lived experience, which is always going to win out. Holly has the same determination as Arty, I would say, but has far more experience.

When I opened up my copy a piece of card fell out. It was a piece of card that I was given on a Greek airline on holiday aeons ago, I must have taken it with me to read on the beach. I'd totally forgotten and it made me smile.

Here are my thoughts:

Prologue
  • Surely these men are used to being around the Russian Mafia. And the Russian Mafia knows how to dress well. Why would the man wearing a tailored suit mean he couldn't be from Eastern Europe? I'd understand if they recognised a brand or something, but anyone with money can dress well, regardless of where they are from?
  • I feel as though there is a lot of stereotyping going on here, the typical "Russians have bootleg everything". A man in the Russian Mafia doesn't need to have a fake rolex when he could easily afford a real one.

Chapter 1
  • The pseudnym is funny, but I'm pretty sure a psych mag would recognise it
  • At therapy Artemis thinks he has the upper hand because he knows how to say the right things. So does anyone who attends therapy. And I say this as someone who has seen a cognitive behavioural therapist, a counsellor, a psychologist and done group therapy. I could have left at any time by saying the right things. But that wouldn't actua,ly get me anywhere. The point of therapy is to be honest and have honest intentions. And by missing this fact, he exposes himself as someone who actually does not have the upper hand at all. It would become painfully obvious to any psychologist that this boy has trauma he wants to hide, which is exactly why therapy is the right place for him. Everything Dr Po says is correct, especially "You will never find peace if you continue to run from your problems"

Chapter 2
  • Absolutely typical that fat cat bureaucracy would set aside money specifically for ransom and then when they use the money for its intended purpose, have to find a scapegoat.
  • I used to think that Chix was really funny, but actually, since having past jobs that involved working with slimeballs, I think if I'd had to put up with that from someone I didn't know, for weeks at a time, I'd shove him out the pot and down a chute
  • "Send Warlock Medics" don't they establish in TLC that Warlocks aren't a thing anymore?
  • The old tourist ad says that children under 10 go free. Considering that fairies live for thousands of years, that doesn't seem like a great deal. But that makes me think, how long do fairies go to school for? They have the capacity to go for decades and learn far much more than any human can learn.
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 10th May 2020

Cabaline wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
Prologue
  • I feel as though there is a lot of stereotyping going on here, the typical "Russians have bootleg everything". A man in the Russian Mafia doesn't need to have a fake rolex when he could easily afford a real one.
That's assuming these foot soldiers are paid much more than their needs dictate. I won't pretend to fully understand the crime/underworld circuit, but these fatcats at the top stay on top by getting desperate people do their dirty work and keeping these people under their thumb, controlling what quality of life they can maintain.
Fair wage? Hah, got a problem with what we give you, take it to the Better Business Bureau.

That said, I agree. What, you're telling me these guys haven't knocked over a jewelry store/shipment somewhere down the line? :lol:
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
Chapter 2
  • "Send Warlock Medics" don't they establish in TLC that Warlocks aren't a thing anymore?
I think that was just the demon Warlocks.
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
  • The old tourist ad says that children under 10 go free. Considering that fairies live for thousands of years, that doesn't seem like a great deal. But that makes me think, how long do fairies go to school for? They have the capacity to go for decades and learn far much more than any human can learn.
I had the same thought about the under ten thing. Good point with the education bit! I'd say their longevity is partly why the fairies have been able to maintain superior technology.

I think later on in the book we learn Holly's age as being around 80....I think it mentions something to the effect...her dad dies when she's 20 "more than sixty years ago" anyway....I think it might have mentioned a graduation, which could imply a similar school structure?
Image Image ImageImage
네이트

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 10th May 2020

artymon I\/ wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
Anyone else get the impression Holly has been using Artemis as the Carole Baskins equivalent for all the Lower Element’s issues in recent times?
If I'm interpreting that reference right (having not seen a second of the show :lol:) I did get the impression that she's attributed quite a few things to Artemis in the past year or so. I'd like to know what some of the other things have been XD
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
At therapy Artemis thinks he has the upper hand because he knows how to say the right things. So does anyone who attends therapy. And I say this as someone who has seen a cognitive behavioural therapist, a counsellor, a psychologist and done group therapy. I could have left at any time by saying the right things. But that wouldn't actua,ly get me anywhere. The point of therapy is to be honest and have honest intentions. And by missing this fact, he exposes himself as someone who actually does not have the upper hand at all. It would become painfully obvious to any psychologist that this boy has trauma he wants to hide, which is exactly why therapy is the right place for him. Everything Dr Po says is correct, especially "You will never find peace if you continue to run from your problems"
1000%. He doesn't think he needs help at all, so there's no helping him either way unless he's willing to acknowledge he does. I wonder how different Artemis would be if he'd had his father around or his mother lucid for the bulk of his childhood. Seems like he had to grow up pretty fast.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
BLoemetje wrote:
Sat 9th May 2020
Chapter 1
Good catch! I didn't think of that with his father and the respect bit! Subtle, but kind of biting.
I missed it too, that's interesting. He's so set on getting his father back, but I don't know if he has any idea why he wants that or what he expects things will be like if he succeeds.

And the stuff I took from this section:

Prologue
  • A lot of things in these books remind me of specific FGers, but few quite as much as the Fowl Star
Chapter 1
  • Artemis is offended by Dr. Po's insinuation that his father was a criminal, but not the same directed towards himself
  • Artemis running away from his problems set up as a theme to watch for the book
Chapter 2
  • It'd be interesting to see what Foaly was like early in his career, before all those discoveries that made him "less respectful and more annoying"
  • I want to know more about fairies and designer shirts. Are they children's sizes? Are baggy shirts in fashion in the LEP? Is it not painfully obvious you've committed a crime if you're wearing a human shirt?
  • So the mesmer can't be used against other fairies. If humans can use the mesmer, can they only use it on other humans, or does that rule not apply?
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sun 10th May 2020

Battery wrote:
Sun 10th May 2020
Chapter 2
  • It'd be interesting to see what Foaly was like early in his career, before all those discoveries that made him "less respectful and more annoying"
  • I want to know more about fairies and designer shirts. Are they children's sizes? Are baggy shirts in fashion in the LEP? Is it not painfully obvious you've committed a crime if you're wearing a human shirt?
  • So the mesmer can't be used against other fairies. If humans can use the mesmer, can they only use it on other humans, or does that rule not apply?
The mesmer stuff is interesting. This is how I interpret it:
Humans are not bound by the rules of the book, so humans that can use the mesmer can use it on anyone they like since they aren't governed the same way that fairies are. Prime example, the LEP retrieval team tried to break a rule from The Book by entering Arty's house without an invite. But humans can enter each other's houses even with express forbidding. And humans have been entering space belonging to The People for aeons, so it seems human's don't have rules. Maybe that's why we are so dangerous and why The People are powerless to fight back.
What is interesting is that Arty gets Holly's magic, later on, he has fairy magic from a fairy. So perhaps he is somewhat bound by some parts of The Book. He is still mostly human so he doesn't have to take orders and can enter where he likes. I don't remember much of TAC, but Arty does use the mesmer. I imagine it would be absolutely fine for him to use it on another human, but does he get queasy at doing it to another fairy?
Image Image