Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Anything about the Fowl books.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Post by Battery » Sun 5th Apr 2020

How's everybody handling this week's portion? I still need to finish chapter 5 today, but is anyone ready to talk about it? :) If not, I'd say we can give these chapters another week. What does everyone think? :)
ImageImageImage

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 5th Apr 2020

I've only done chapter 3, I've been a bit slow, I can post up my notes on 3, or I could wait until everyone is finished? :)
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Battery
Ringbearer

I think it would be fine to post them now, or to wait until you've finished the chunk, whichever you prefer :) I don't think it will exactly be spoiling anyone if you post now :lol: But it sounds like maybe it would be good to give these chapters another week?
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Well I just got my butt into gear and finished reading the rest so I'll put my whole thoughts up on the chapters so far, if you wanna wait to proceed to the next ones, that's cool :D

Chapter 3
  • Fairies use metric system, even though they are older than it, when was this decided?
  • What I wouldn't give to have a naturally occuring hot springs in my house!
  • Moonometer instead of watch? You would think that with foaly having the ins and outs of quantum physics before humans, they would already be on atomic clocks rather than measuring by the moon. BUT if culturally that is the most important thing, I can see why they never moved past it.
  • I don't think Root was actually gonna bring in Frond, I think he was doing it to push her and see what she would do.
  • Large plasma screen! If that was nowadays it would be holographic projections like in Avengers!
  • Is the fact that it ate some cows, a subtle nod that what we think are aliens leaving signs, are actually fairies?
  • Humans attributing shimmering air ad evaporation is a good one. We see it all the time! Makes me smile :)
  • That little slip where Root calls her Holly. He cares. Bless him.
Chapter 4
  • Juliet has become Arty's female role-model. Bless.
  • Arty choosing to sell to sporting goods and not the military, despite the fact that he loathes exercise, shows that deep down, he abhors violence and war.
  • Bulter has contacts within the government, not a surprise. But even more intriguing that Arty wouldn't sell to the military even though he likely has inside men.
  • Butler has 100% carried a body in a bag before
Chapter 5
  • Root refusing to be mad at Holly over an offence he had carried out himself years ago, shows that he is about integrity and not a hypocrite.
  • Butler casually going up and insluting dockers. And them assuming he was the police at first. Amazing.
  • Holly mistaking english for latin at first is a classic
  • It's weird that Juilet is called by her first name, but even she calls Butler, Butler and not Domovoi.
  • Starting to feel real human guilt over the dolphins and whales. And it's even worse now than it was in 2002
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Iris, Percy, Artymon: any thoughts on the timeline? :)

I just finished as well, and I took notes this time!
  • The foreshadowing early on is so well done. Mentions of the time stop, dealing with a troll, etc.
  • It's too bad Artemis can't go get drinks with his fairy friends, when he's old enough. Unless they change the rules by then, I guess.
  • It's interesting that some humans are able to use the mesmer. I can't remember if we ever actually see that in action, but it would be neat. Especially if Arty himself was able to use it (though someone like Butler might be more fun to see)
  • This will probably only make sense to Cab, but Foaly gives me heavy Let's Watch Jack vibes when dealing with Root
  • Miss Sugar Beet Fair 1999 threatening Holly with a pile driver :') This makes me extra annoyed that they cast a small child to play Juliet in the movie.
  • I love that Juliet knows Holly will underestimate her, and is able to use that to her advantage. She's cleverer than I remembered, even if she's not the smartest person in the manor.
  • This is the first week I picked up the physical book, and it still has the Gnommish translation scribbled in pencil along the bottom <3 I wonder when that was.
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020
It's weird that Juilet is called by her first name, but even she calls Butler, Butler and not Domovoi.
That is weird! I never caught that. I would feel really strange calling a family member by our last name :lol: I wonder if she calls him by his first name in private, when there's no one around to hear.
Cabaline wrote:Starting to feel real human guilt over the dolphins and whales. And it's even worse now than it was in 2002
This :( There's a lot more focus on the environment than I remembered, and the whole section about the whaling ship was very sad.
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Battery wrote:
Sun 5th Apr 2020

[*]It's interesting that some humans are able to use the mesmer. I can't remember if we ever actually see that in action, but it would be neat. Especially if Arty himself was able to use it (though someone like Butler might be more fun to see)
[*]This will probably only make sense to Cab, but Foaly gives me heavy Let's Watch Jack vibes when dealing with Root
When I read the mesmer bit, my mind went to dark places and made me think of super charismatic serial killers, people like Ted Bundy who would lure people in to help him.

Haahah, I love Foaly, he was always one of my faves :D
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 7th Apr 2020

^ That's a really good point, wow. A human with the mesmer would have made for an interesting villain just as much as one of the protagonists

I guess, since it seems like we're mostly the ones participating at this point, we can just stick to the original schedule for now? And if anybody else chimes in at any point and wants to slow down, we can wait? :)
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Tue 7th Apr 2020

Hmmm, maybe some of the human villains do have the mesmer but it's never overtly stated :shock: I think I'm definitely gonna re-read the future books with that in mind..

Yeah, that sounds fantastic, let's go! :D
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 12th Apr 2020

I still need to finish the section from this week! I'm doing an awful job at not procrastinating :lol: But if you're ready, Cab, here's a post so you can go ahead! Or if anyone else wants to jump in, you're always welcome! :)
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sun 12th Apr 2020

I've been bad this week too! First writing my report and then losing days to migraine/not feeling well. I have done Chapter 6 and written up those thoughts, so I'll post those, and hopefully do 7 and 8 tomorrow :)

Chapter 6
  • Arty hates whalers too. The boy has ethics I'm telling you.
  • He decides it's time to talk to her when he realises she has some humanity
  • Poor Arty getting upset over his mother's madness
  • Making her think she had betrayed her people was super cruel. But he had just had that thing with his mother so maybe he was in the mood to lash out. Doesn't make it OK, especially since he acknowledges how cruel it is.
  • Subtle reference at how Sherlock and Moriarty were more alike than they knew. I wonder if this is reflected in our story.
  • Foaly, the only one to realise that Arty was 1 step ahead
  • Arty having to give himself a peptalk before opening the door. We've all been there!
  • Root admitting he didn't play by the rules to get his stripes! That's why he likes Holly
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Wed 15th Apr 2020

Oof, okay I'm so behind but going to try to knock out chapter 6 at least right now! Did you get through 7 and 8 yet, or should we call it another week? I hadn't realized chapter 6 on its own was almost a quarter of the book :lol:

Chapter 6:
  • The transition straight from Artemis mourning Angeline's memory issues to Artemis basically gaslighting Holly is sure a thing
  • The debate over the blue rinse and minimum losses reads a little different under the current circumstances
  • I love, love, love the juxtaposition of Foaly telling Root that Artemis is one step ahead with Butler thinking to himself that Artemis is always two steps ahead
  • "I prefer scared to dead" is a line from the newest movie trailer. Seems like the context is pretty much the opposite of what it is in the book.
  • The introduction of Briar Cudgeon gives us our first real villain. We're led to believe Artemis is "the bad guy" from the beginning, but it's not until we meet a guy who actively wants to kill people that we get someone to root against (pun intended)
Cabaline wrote:
Sun 12th Apr 2020
Subtle reference at how Sherlock and Moriarty were more alike than they knew. I wonder if this is reflected in our story.
This is super interesting, and if it is reflected, I wonder who fills each role. If Artemis is Moriarty, does that make Holly Sherlock? Or Foaly? Or is Artemis both?
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Wed 15th Apr 2020

I'm not through 7 and 8 yet, I think it would be a good idea to extend it til this weekend :D
Battery wrote:
Wed 15th Apr 2020
  • The transition straight from Artemis mourning Angeline's memory issues to Artemis basically gaslighting Holly is sure a thing
Maybe Colfer but them together on purpose to really draw attention to them separately as well as in contrast?

I have no idea who is Sherlock and Moriarty, I think maybe it changes! Arty Sr goes from Moriarty to Sherlock, and so does Arty especially once Opal is introduced.
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Wed 15th Apr 2020

Alrighty, until this weekend it is :) Thanks for sticking with all this, it's been a lot of fun! <3

I don't know why Opal completely slipped my mind in that analogy :lol: You're right, that does seem to be a fit. It's definitely not an exact 1:1 comparison, but I wonder who Artemis would consider more of his Watson between Holly and Butler once we get to later books
ImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Wed 15th Apr 2020

Yeah, I am really enjoying it :D
That's a really good question about Watson, I wonder if maybe towards the end of the series it would be his brothers?
Image Image

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sun 19th Apr 2020

Naughty double-post I know, but I finished chapters 7 and 8 and thought I would post up my brief thoughts. These ones are more reactions than in-depth analysis since I actually got really into it and was just enjoying it too much :D

Chapter 7:
  • Technically Mulch displays all of the marks of a good entrepreneur. He rejects the role society tried to give him and uses his skills to his advantage
  • I like that Mulch seriously considers eating the goblin to get him out of an awkward moment
  • "Where you're going it ain't anything" reminded me of "Where we're going we don't need roads"
  • Mulch and Foaly are the only two that wind Root up deliberately to see if they can, no surprise that they get on
  • I love his beard being a natural antenna, I can imagine it gently rustling when he's standing still
  • "That version can only be read in the adult book" great 4th wall break :D
  • The subtle hint with Holly not asking Juilet for more info about Mrs Fowl, making sleep the key
  • Butler teaching Artemis 'Chi', he really is a father figure to him

Chapter 8:
  • "Why the movie rights alone will be worth a fortune" Don't make me bitterly sob
  • The brief bromance between Root and Foaly when Foaly has his back
  • Awh Chix! I forgot about him! "Blow it off its damn hinges" :lol:
  • Ah the troll fight! Butler's first death.
  • First reference of section 8
  • "Passion is the enemy of efficiency" I'm gonna need that cross-stitched
  • I forgot how supremely awesome and hardcore Butler strapping on armour, and going toe to toe with a troll, was!
Image Image