Did the ending satisfy you, personally, as an AF fan?

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
lackingimagination
Gnome

Did the ending satisfy you, personally, as an AF fan?

Post by lackingimagination » Sun 20th Jan 2013

Just a little question for everyone: did either the last book as a whole or the final ending itself satisfy you, the reader, as an Artemis Fowl fan?
Answer however you want!

Twisted Persona
Mud-Man

Re: Did the ending satisfy you, personally, as an AF fan?

Post by Twisted Persona » Tue 22nd Jan 2013

Though the ending was certainly interesting, and somewhat unexpected i found it most unsatisfying. I would have preferred something else. Another ending as opposed to the actual one.

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Thu 24th Jan 2013

It felt like the ending left a lot hanging, I think it could've addressed a lot more sub-plots and questions. So I think the ending was okay, but there was a good deal missing that won't get addressed unless another book comes out (Always keep hoping).

On the plus side, it left a lot more room for FanFics about the Sub-Plots and other things. :)
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Fri 25th Jan 2013

I really wished that they would tell us what happened to Minerva, and I wish Artemis didn't lose his memory. That just seemed like a cheap excuse to link the last one to the first (It's my opinion of course, some people loved it)

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 3rd Feb 2013

I thought that the ending was adorable.
I think that it would have been nice to see more of Minerva, or at least hear that she was doing well for herself.
I like to think that Arty's memory came back and that Colfer used temporary memory loss as an excuse device to have the sweetest last line ever :)
Plus it pleased me for shipping reasons, coz I am not a Holly/Artemis shipper so it was nice that they weren't a couple. But I think that Colfer left the ending ambiguous enough to keep shippers happy too though :D

LEPreconGirl
Dwarf Thief

Post by LEPreconGirl » Fri 26th Apr 2013

Oh, the ending had me flat out sobbing. I loved and hated it at once, because I feel like we've all lost our dear boy genius, but it was just so sweet that I couldn't entirely hate it. It left a lot hanging, but... I dunno. Bittersweet, and a little dissatisfying, I guess.
Not all those who wander are lost...

Team Holly!

caleb legend
Gnome

Post by caleb legend » Sun 18th Aug 2013

NO NEVER I WANT A9TH BOOK!!!!!!!!!!
dont mind me if your seeing this i am totally bored and gots nothing to do so dont mind me androcks taste good1

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Fri 24th Jan 2014

I have a soft spot for "groundhog day" endings, yeah they're twisted, but I like that. Also it was kinda like the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still.... In a good way for humanity.. As for A/H it seems Colfer let that open, Artemis' clone is "a few years older" so he presumably could be 18 or older?
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Spudtron98
Dwarf Miner

Post by Spudtron98 » Wed 12th Mar 2014

It was ambiguous enough to give us plenty of options to interpret it. My style involves Fairy First Contact.
"Did you think that I would FORGET YOU?!"

Eldewind Dolly
Gnome

Post by Eldewind Dolly » Wed 12th Mar 2014

I was a bit disappointed by the last book. A lot, actually. But surprisingly, the ending was the only thing that kept me from throwing my book away after I finished reading. It's undeniably sweet and poetic, even if it's still a bit fetched (hope it's the good word again ><) : I'm not fond of the idea of Artemis's spirit just hanging around, it's too... sudden, I mean if in the other books Colfer already said ghosts existed it would have been better, but here to me it's just a lazy plot twist to avoid Artemis dying and Annie Wilkes coming for revenge.... And I liked, no, loved the last lines. La boucle est bouclée ^^
'' Plantée, debout, au milieu de mon rêve. ,,

Conduit E37, French Artemis Fowl forum !!!

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Wed 12th Mar 2014

Were the last lines in the French version literally [spoiler"The loop is closed"][/spoiler] or is that your comment on it? :D Coz in the English version the last line is"How does one describe Artemis Fowl?" which is also the very first line of the first book

Also have you had the chance to read the book in both English and French? Coz I'm very interested in what differences there would be between them.

Eldewind Dolly
Gnome

Post by Eldewind Dolly » Wed 12th Mar 2014

No no, it's my comment on it ^^ I wrote it jn French cause I wasn't sure how it translated (thank you to write it btw ^^) Is "how does one describe Artemis Fowl" the very very last line ? In French, it's also the first lines of the first book but the quote is longer...
And no, I read the book in French only, sorry :/ But I don't think there are many differences, only a few names and some fairy technology but nothing in particular ^^

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Wed 12th Mar 2014

Oh cool! I'm glad that they kept the same last line coz that is really important! :D
Oooh that is really interesting :awesome: (I love learning about how things translate :lol: )

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Thu 13th Mar 2014

^The LEPrecon jokes wouldn't make as much sense, I guess... Or punny names like J.Argon :) But it's really cool that they kept the same last lines, because that is a cool thing (even though I think it didn't quite fit).
I'd really have loved some more worldbuilding! A lot of it seems to just be in the Gnommish notes, and it would be cool to have some more Gnommish and some stuff about the People and Haven in TAFF#2 (which is not a Thing but should be) I really wanna go make up a Gnommish language at some point... But I don't know how to conlang and I don't think anyone would join me :(
Oops I keep just meaning to join in conversation and then SUDDEN RANT ABOUT AF... :?
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

Eldewind Dolly
Gnome

Post by Eldewind Dolly » Thu 13th Mar 2014

Which LEPrecon jokes ? The acronym which happens to be a fairy species name ? It works also in French (the LEP are known as FAR, short for FARfaDET), but the initials for the acronym probably don't refer to the same words in French and in English...
But it's completely off-topic... is it possible to create a new topic to discuss about AF translations ? :)