Trolls?

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Trolls?

Post by BlackOpal » Fri 7th Dec 2007

I've always wondered why fairies brought trolls underground with them. They are kind of just like primates and don't really seem to have the mental capacity to choose sides.
I thought that maybe the other fairies felt sorry for them because humans would likely wipe them out.
And on another hand, why would Trolls be part of the families of fairies? The families are all obviously joined together because they were sentient, obviously centaurs aren't closely related to pixies, but trolls don't really fit.
Goblins don't really either, but they've evolved a little more.
Any ideas?
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

carino
Council Member

Re: Trolls?

Post by carino » Fri 7th Dec 2007

Hmm, that is an interesting thought. I agree with your explanation...that they felt sorry for them. Or maybe they thought that if they left them up there, the fairies would get discovered or something.
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

Meova

Post by Meova » Fri 7th Dec 2007

I agree with Carino, that they felt sorry for them or they would've thought: If we try to keep them under the ground, they won't give us away to the mudpeople. Because trolls are stupid, so it's best if the fairies don't let them wander above the ground.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

nutrino
Dwarf Thief

Post by nutrino » Fri 7th Dec 2007

What I'm thinking is that if trolls are faeries then why don't they have magic? Apart from centaurs all faeries have magic. Also, why don't centaurs, and to a lesser extent, trolls, have magic? As Artemis notes in TLC that magic uses your brain. If centaurs are so smart (because even though we've only met Foaly they sound smart), then why haven't they figured out how to use magic and how did they,like humans, lose it?
Hello again.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Fri 7th Dec 2007

I think that it is just an evolution thing. Certain species of fairies are related to others more closely. It seems that elves, sprites, gnomes, and possibly humans, are related more closely to each other then any of the other species.
I don't know how they lost their magic, but maybe when centaurs evolved they didn't need any.
Also, magic uses the brain, but creatures with brains don't necessarily have magic.

I don't think that trolls could give away fairies, and that in time they'd forget about them too. Humans knew about fairies once, and forgot. Trolls don't seem to have long memories or a method of speech, they couldn't give away the location of the fairies.

Meova

Post by Meova » Sat 8th Dec 2007

But maybe if the humans captured one, they would go searching for other trolls, and they might end up in Haven. That's what I thought, at least.
ImageImageImageImage

trollsrock42
Gnome

Post by trollsrock42 » Thu 20th Dec 2007

Meova wrote:But maybe if the humans captured one, they would go searching for other trolls, and they might end up in Haven. That's what I thought, at least.

i think your complety right if humans had caught one, they could relise it then track it!!!!

(i hope im not giving enyone ideas here)

trollsrock
xXx
She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Meova

Post by Meova » Thu 20th Dec 2007

No, you aren't. Believe me, there aren't any trolls. I've been looking for them :P
ImageImageImageImage

Pampered.Pixie
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Pampered.Pixie » Fri 21st Dec 2007

The fairies wouldn't want to risk letting trolls run around above ground because the trolls might get angry and kill have the human population, and as Meova said we could track them. If we got any clues as to where Haven is we could cause destruction to the underground fairy world.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Fri 21st Dec 2007

Actually, I think the fact that the trolls were brought underground may be the firmest evidence in support of the fact that they can be counted as a family of fairy.

If they're actually fairies, in some way, then as soon as the humans became technologically advanced enough to study DNA and whatnot, the trolls would be a security risk be discovered.

It also is possible the fairies had some measure of pity for the humans, and didn't want to leave them aboveground with such terrible predators. But given how the humans were treating them at the time, I doubt it. And it isn't like they took any other vicious animal down with them.

The last possibility is that they felt bad for the trolls. Humans had shown themselves to be violent and wasteful. Sadly, many people do terrible things to animals. There are many people who'd pay to see trolls fight each other, or use them to attack people... just look at what they do to dogs. Though once again, I'm not sure why they'd save trolls over any other species.

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Fri 21st Dec 2007

well if they let them go extinct then theyre just as 'bad' as humans but trolls cant be trained as they r far to dangerous to have close contact with.
hello. my name is veelagirl.

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Mon 24th Dec 2007

Maybe they didn't save just trolls, but they were the only other fairy species up on the planet. I mean, I don't see them letting anything go extinct if they can help it! I just think that the fairies are compassionate and wanted to help the trolls.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.

BlackOpal

Post by BlackOpal » Mon 24th Dec 2007

If they're actually fairies, in some way, then as soon as the humans became technologically advanced enough to study DNA and whatnot, the trolls would be a security risk be discovered.

But to me it seems that not all of the fairies are connected that closely through DNA. Pixies, sprites, elves and humans seem to have similar backgrounds while goblins and demons are completely different and originate from lizards, and centaurs from horses.
Trolls seem more like apes, they are almost like the missing link... There's no reason for humans to be able to trace troll DNA to fairy DNA, especially since they'd have to get fairy DNA first.
And I don't think humans would get that curious, we'd just consider it another missing link in evolution.

The last possibility is that they felt bad for the trolls. Humans had shown themselves to be violent and wasteful. Sadly, many people do terrible things to animals. There are many people who'd pay to see trolls fight each other, or use them to attack people... just look at what they do to dogs. Though once again, I'm not sure why they'd save trolls over any other species.

I don't understand that either though. Why wouldn't they take a different species, maybe one they were more fond of?

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Tue 25th Dec 2007

Well, was there a different species for them to take? I didn't know there were that many species of fairies.
If you're just saying species in general, I'd say it's because, even though they're extremely dumb, trolls have a huge predator advantage over humans. So I guess it's partly because they felt sorry for the humans.

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Thu 27th Dec 2007

no, they didnt feel sorry, they just didnt want their cover to be blown.
hello. my name is veelagirl.