Physics terms error in TLC! [Spoilers]

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Physics terms error in TLC! [Spoilers]

Post by BlackOpal » Thu 8th Nov 2007

Okay, so this is kind of pointless, but in TLC, regarding the time tunnel, this was said:

"I see it," he shouted. "It's mainly forward. An hour per second for a count of forty, followed by a deceleration to thirty minutes per second for a count of eighteen, then a slight jump backward in time, one minute per second back for a count of two. Then it repeats."

In physics there is no such thing as deceleration. There's only negative acceleration. I'd think that somebody such as Artemis would be absolutely shocked and horrified if someone used deceleration. I know my Grade 10 Science teacher would be. It's just a little bit... out of character.
Even though I know it doesn't really matter.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Re: Physics terms error in TLC! [Spoilers]

Post by 1hollyfan » Fri 9th Nov 2007

No, you're right. It doesn't matter, but Artemis defied a law of physics! Nicely spotted.
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

nutrino
Dwarf Thief

Post by nutrino » Tue 13th Nov 2007

right.. im in 1st year so that was a little over my head but i bet colfers kicking himself about that
Hello again.

carino
Council Member

Post by carino » Wed 14th Nov 2007

BlackOpal wrote:Okay, so this is kind of pointless, but in TLC, regarding the time tunnel, this was said:

"I see it," he shouted. "It's mainly forward. An hour per second for a count of forty, followed by a deceleration to thirty minutes per second for a count of eighteen, then a slight jump backward in time, one minute per second back for a count of two. Then it repeats."

In physics there is no such thing as deceleration. There's only negative acceleration. I'd think that somebody such as Artemis would be absolutely shocked and horrified if someone used deceleration. I know my Grade 10 Science teacher would be. It's just a little bit... out of character.
Even though I know it doesn't really matter.

That's pretty much fantastic!! I never would have caught that! Of course, we haven't covered physics yet, but..
Proud member of the loveless fangirls! :wub:
I am: FFn; Fictionpress; LJ.

You can't take the sky from me.

Proud member of team Edward/Emmet, Jacob/Rosalie, and Bella/Edward'spicture/Rippedpillow.
As Star and I like to say: Smut solves Everything! :D

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Wed 14th Nov 2007

Well, it isn't like Artemis is in a physics class... he's under a lot of pressure. And anyway, deceleration is a word. They just tell you not to use it in school. It's like how my chemistry teacher was telling us that 'coldness' doesn't exists, and we shouldn't say cold, we should say 'lack of heat'. Technically, you're right, Opal, but I think outside of a research paper deceleration is fine.

On the other hand, Artemis is usually picky about his speech... so you're right. - well spotted!

Modest-Genius
Troll

Post by Modest-Genius » Thu 15th Nov 2007

It's just a guess as Physics isn't my strong point but perhaps the deceleration is the reverse flow of time and not the decreasing speed of acceleration, if my guess is that one in a million correct, negative acceleration would not be the correct term for what Artemis is decribing.

Then again I could be completely off the mark :D

_Lenore_
Dwarf Thief
Location: Not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Post by _Lenore_ » Fri 16th Nov 2007

MMK wrote:Well, it isn't like Artemis is in a physics class... he's under a lot of pressure.

Yeah, I guess we can use that as an excuse... either that, or Eoin Colfer was under a lot of pressure. Try imagining what it's like to finish a book while knowing that you'd be assaulted by crowds of fans if you don't write fast enough. :P
ImageImageImage
"I have CDO... It's like OCD, only I put the letters in alphabetical order." - my mom

Fowl_Play
Dwarf Miner

Post by Fowl_Play » Fri 16th Nov 2007

deceleration means "slowing down" or "going backwards"...i asked my physics teacher about it, and thats what he said.
xx
You're always in the sun, Robin, & I'm always in the shade...

David Tennant came to Beccas house for tea. And I was there...

"Her we liked."
"Her we loved..." *pause* "Her I loved..."
Kristen. ___<3___. .Jonas

TomRK1089
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by TomRK1089 » Fri 16th Nov 2007

It's not the most precise term, but it's not incorrect either. For example, the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 meters per second per second, yet one wouldn't refer to it as a deceleration of 9.8 m/s2. That is to say, one can't just switch the sign and the term.

Regardless, it's not so much a physics error as an error in terminology. Now if he started to talk about centrifugal force, then I'd be mad... :D

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Sat 24th Nov 2007

exactly. all my physics teachers say there is deceleration. me confused. ??? o well. when ur on hybras, i guess its not too hard to defy the laws of physics. besides, if time was speeding up that fast, wouldnt they all have starved to death really quickly? and artemis never went to the bathroom. lol. :D
hello. my name is veelagirl.