How Did You Find Out About Artemis?

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
Aura
Mud-Man

Re: How Did You Find Out About Artemis?

Post by Aura » Wed 14th Mar 2012

I actually found out about it because of my mother. In the middle of summer she got tired of me doing nothing all day, so one night in June she left to the mall and when she got back she pegged me in the head with a book and said, "Turn off the F***ing TV and read a d*** book!"
At first i refused to read it on principal and rebellion, around midnight a few weeks later there was nothing on TV so i picked up the book and started reading. I ended up staying up all night and finishing it at about noon the next day. I ended up buying the rest as they came out.
Image Image Image Image

chocolatetruffles1
Mud-Man

Post by chocolatetruffles1 » Sun 15th Apr 2012

I was reading Percy Jackson and found a review from Eoin Colfer at the back. At that time I just read it, although the word "Artemis Fowl" was in my brain.
Years later, I found book 1 in an old secondhand bookstore. When I saw the book I went
"I know that book, I know it."
So I bought the book.
However, after reading the summary at the back, I was like"fairies? that's kid stuff."
So I didn't read it for a week, then I was curious and read it, then I got hooked to AF.
And that was in last December. I am ashamed I didn't read it before.
anyways that's my story.
"I now pronounce you... man and elf."- No.1 Demon Warlock

"Peace be inside me, tolerance all around me, forgiveness in my path. Now, Mervall, show me where the filthy human is so I may feed him his organs."- Opal Koboi

Celty
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by Celty » Fri 11th May 2012

I was at my friend's house to study and she was searching threw her books. they were scattered all over the floor and i tripped over her Artemis Fowl book and she said, "Sorry. You know, you should read that."
Image Image Image

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sun 10th Jun 2012

I read TAI when I was in year 5, but I didn't enjoy it because I was confused. Then last year my dad bought AF for me and I read it only after I read all my other books and was in a Book Crisis. I couldn't get to sleep that night, and ended up finishing it around midnight. Needless to say, I'm hooked. :razz:
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

I_Party_With_Arty
Mud-Man

Post by I_Party_With_Arty » Sun 17th Jun 2012

My buddy at school was reading it, and I'm always interested in what he's reading, because he always reads good books.

I borrowed the first book, and after reading it, I had to go buy my own copies of not only the first book, but all the other ones too. And the graphic novels and case files of course. :D
Clickies!

Image Image

whosasking
Mud-Man

Post by whosasking » Mon 18th Jun 2012

My sister read it, & I like to read her books, & I read it. FAN FOR LIFE!!!! The greatest happenings can come from the smallest things.^^
~whosasking
(they/them or she/her)
^ THANK YOU, AFFY!!!! *bows* thankyouthankyouthankyou imnotworthy!!!! I LOVE the siggie!!!!
i love dogs and girls

slepyoneshot
Dwarf Miner

Post by slepyoneshot » Tue 19th Jun 2012

i found it out by the school library lol i was just looking to add another series to the 100s ive read, and i started to really like the series (not love, that spot is reserved for someone in my heart)
do you not like me? doesnt matter, i face a lot more than you in real life

do you not like the fact that i am a big gamer? doesnt matter, i face a lot more than you in real life

do you not like butter? doesnt matter you dont know how awesome it is

do you not like anything about me? you only think im a kid who likes to annoy everyone i see, i have ADHD, dont blame me for my gift from god, ADHD lets me be happy in real life even though im hated there

Foxriver Fowl
Dwarf Miner
Location: Were ever teh kitty wants to go and I will be there

Post by Foxriver Fowl » Thu 12th Jul 2012

a Used book store!! :D
Last edited by Foxriver Fowl on Mon 12th Nov 2012, edited 2 times in total.

Timewaster
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by Timewaster » Fri 13th Jul 2012

My sister threw her copy of Artemis Fowl at me about 8 years ago. I didn't give it back.

xx-Jelly-Fox-xx
Troll

Post by xx-Jelly-Fox-xx » Sun 24th Feb 2013

I got a box set for Christmas several (4-5) years back, and I just fell in love.
You say loving a fictional character is senseless...
I say it's the truest love there is.

SilverGoddess
Goblin

Post by SilverGoddess » Tue 12th Mar 2013

Actually, I found Artemis Fowl with a totally different reason. I was studying Greek mythology and the one Greek goddess I actually retained anything on was Artemis, and was also the name of my favorite character on Young Justice (which I still watch, even though I am 14), so I bought it for curiositys' sake and now, I kid you not when I say it consumes my life. ;P :woot:

CloverKitty
LEP Recruit

Post by CloverKitty » Tue 19th Mar 2013

I find it deppressing that I found out because Disney channel was filming a book signing of TLG. And replaying it 100 times a day.

yunyun
Centaur Genius

Post by yunyun » Sat 27th Apr 2013

^Wow, doesn't Disney think that people'll get bored of that? 0.o Like, maybe not us, but other people...?

Solinium Pulse
Troll

Post by Solinium Pulse » Mon 14th Oct 2013

Haha, the stories behind how all of you guys met Artemis are fascinating, mine is slightly less...

I forget what year was in, possibly around 7 years ago, back in 2005 [?] it was summer vacation, and I was a bad little boy back then, always always ALWAYS grounded, couldn't watch TV, or play video games, or even go outside most of the time. Obviously, I got bored during that time, and was in a mischievous mood, so I went into my sister's room, and starting digging through her stuff XD

I was there for maybe about five minutes, when I saw a book with a golden cover on the bookshelf, on the cover:

Artemis Fowl

So, of course, like any other curious 8-year-old, I climbed my way to the top of the shelf and grabbed the little book. [Golden cover, great investment, Mr. Colfer ;) ]

I left my sister's now-messy room, to read the book of gold...

I read the back of the book, and was curious. Fairies, huh? I remember reading this part over and over again...

Stay Back, Human. You Don't Know What You Are Dealing With.

Ha ha, good times...

Anyway, on one of the first few pages, I saw this little note directed to the reader. I don't remember word for word on what it had said, [I'll check it out later, I haven't read Artemis Fowl in SO long...]

[*checks*]

[Aw, crap, I forgot I had left it back in California. D'Arvit D'Arvit D'Arvit!]

[PS: Did you know the Gnommish word D'Arvit means $#!%?]

Anyway, the author, Eoin Colfer, had asked if the readers could crack the code. I was like, eh, I'll do it later.

So, I turned to the first page and started reading...

How does one describe Artemis Fowl? Various psychologists have tried and failed. The main problem was probably his own intelligence...

And it continued on from there, using big words I hadn't yet known.

Ho Chi Minh City. Sweltering by anyone's standards. Needless to say that Artemis Fowl would no be willing to put up with such discomfort, had not something extremely important had been at stake. Important to the plan...

That's about as far as I got until my sister came in my room, screaming

"YOU HAD BETTER CLEAN MY ROOM, YOU LITTLE BRAT, OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL DESTROY YOU!"

I remember cleaning her room as fast as I can, with the same thought running through my head.

What plan???

After I cleaned my sisters room, I stayed up late reading it until I finished.

The next day, I spent the next hour and a half trying to BREAK THE D*** CODE.

Eventually, I got it, and am now fluent in Gnommish. [Can I put THAT on my resume?]

Over the years, I've collected the books and read them and loved them.

[For the longest time, I thought Arty was blond. *facepalm*]

Anyway, I read all the way up to The Lost Colony, where I could not locate the next book in the series, The Time Paradox for about three years...

Sound familiar? I thought that I couldn't find TTP because Artemis and Holly hadn't returned from Hybras yet, and Colfer had not documented the next event...

So, for the longest time, I was absolutely paranoid, believing that fairies existed and Artemis Fowl was real. Think that was a good thing?

ARE YOU F******* KIDDING ME?

IT WAS PERHAPS ONE OF THE MOST TERRIFYING TIMES OF MY LIFE.

With the advanced spying and stealth technology, I was CONVINCED that The People were spying on me.

I went around with reflective sunglasses everywhere I went. Just in case.

I would perform safety checks on every square inch the house. Just in case.

I stayed up every night there was a full moon, looking up at the sky. JUST IN CASE.

And then I eventually got over it, [not really] and finally managed to get a hold of the last two books.

I was no longer convinced that the world of Artemis Fowl was real because in The Last Guardian everything gets blown up. Around Christmas-time. Talk about coincidence, right? December 22nd, the world was supposed to "end", and then Colfer writes about the downfall of humanity's technology? Too coincidental, if you ask me. I wonder if anyone else caught that...?

And yeah...that's how I met Artemis Fowl. And I'll admit, he's given me some ideas to do bad things, but not evil things.

I've been told that I have some very Artemis-like characteristics, and for the longest time, I believe that I am Artemis Fowl [still to this day] but a mind-wiped, relocated version.

They had better make the movie perfect, or I swear to god I am going to kidnap a fairy, hold it hostage, document and film the entire experience, and make the movie my self.
Sol²√\√\√\√\_______

Stargazer
B'wa Kell Lieutenant

Post by Stargazer » Mon 21st Jul 2014

Solinium Pulse wrote:Haha, the stories behind how all of you guys met Artemis are fascinating, mine is slightly less...

I forget what year was in, possibly around 7 years ago, back in 2005 [?] it was summer vacation, and I was a bad little boy back then, always always ALWAYS grounded, couldn't watch TV, or play video games, or even go outside most of the time. Obviously, I got bored during that time, and was in a mischievous mood, so I went into my sister's room, and starting digging through her stuff XD

I was there for maybe about five minutes, when I saw a book with a golden cover on the bookshelf, on the cover:

Artemis Fowl

So, of course, like any other curious 8-year-old, I climbed my way to the top of the shelf and grabbed the little book. [Golden cover, great investment, Mr. Colfer ;) ]

I left my sister's now-messy room, to read the book of gold...

I read the back of the book, and was curious. Fairies, huh? I remember reading this part over and over again...

Stay Back, Human. You Don't Know What You Are Dealing With.

Ha ha, good times...

Anyway, on one of the first few pages, I saw this little note directed to the reader. I don't remember word for word on what it had said, [I'll check it out later, I haven't read Artemis Fowl in SO long...]

[*checks*]

[Aw, crap, I forgot I had left it back in California. D'Arvit D'Arvit D'Arvit!]

[PS: Did you know the Gnommish word D'Arvit means $#!%?]

Anyway, the author, Eoin Colfer, had asked if the readers could crack the code. I was like, eh, I'll do it later.

So, I turned to the first page and started reading...

How does one describe Artemis Fowl? Various psychologists have tried and failed. The main problem was probably his own intelligence...

And it continued on from there, using big words I hadn't yet known.

Ho Chi Minh City. Sweltering by anyone's standards. Needless to say that Artemis Fowl would no be willing to put up with such discomfort, had not something extremely important had been at stake. Important to the plan...

That's about as far as I got until my sister came in my room, screaming

"YOU HAD BETTER CLEAN MY ROOM, YOU LITTLE BRAT, OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL DESTROY YOU!"

I remember cleaning her room as fast as I can, with the same thought running through my head.

What plan???

After I cleaned my sisters room, I stayed up late reading it until I finished.

The next day, I spent the next hour and a half trying to BREAK THE D*** CODE.

Eventually, I got it, and am now fluent in Gnommish. [Can I put THAT on my resume?]

Over the years, I've collected the books and read them and loved them.

[For the longest time, I thought Arty was blond. *facepalm*]

Anyway, I read all the way up to The Lost Colony, where I could not locate the next book in the series, The Time Paradox for about three years...

Sound familiar? I thought that I couldn't find TTP because Artemis and Holly hadn't returned from Hybras yet, and Colfer had not documented the next event...

So, for the longest time, I was absolutely paranoid, believing that fairies existed and Artemis Fowl was real. Think that was a good thing?

ARE YOU F******* KIDDING ME?

IT WAS PERHAPS ONE OF THE MOST TERRIFYING TIMES OF MY LIFE.

With the advanced spying and stealth technology, I was CONVINCED that The People were spying on me.

I went around with reflective sunglasses everywhere I went. Just in case.

I would perform safety checks on every square inch the house. Just in case.

I stayed up every night there was a full moon, looking up at the sky. JUST IN CASE.

And then I eventually got over it, [not really] and finally managed to get a hold of the last two books.

I was no longer convinced that the world of Artemis Fowl was real because in The Last Guardian everything gets blown up. Around Christmas-time. Talk about coincidence, right? December 22nd, the world was supposed to "end", and then Colfer writes about the downfall of humanity's technology? Too coincidental, if you ask me. I wonder if anyone else caught that...?

And yeah...that's how I met Artemis Fowl. And I'll admit, he's given me some ideas to do bad things, but not evil things.

I've been told that I have some very Artemis-like characteristics, and for the longest time, I believe that I am Artemis Fowl [still to this day] but a mind-wiped, relocated version.

They had better make the movie perfect, or I swear to god I am going to kidnap a fairy, hold it hostage, document and film the entire experience, and make the movie my self.
Sheer brilliance, this is. :D

My own AF discovery story is a little more dull...
From my introduction:
[...] and I am currently in a tiny bit of shock: Allow me to explain: *drifts off down Memory Lane* I first read the first AF book less than a year ago, I think; a friend had donated some books to the little unit for autistic people in the school I attend (I have Asperger Syndrome, so I apologise in advance for any awkwardness in my online communications) and amongst them were AF and TAI. I had heard the books were good, but had never had an opportunity to read them. So, I picked up the first book, and read. And read. It was better than "good". Then onto the next. Long story short, I manged to aquire the whole of the series, and finished reading TLG not one week ago. :cry: :banghead:
"We are all subject to the fates. But we must act as if we are not, or die of despair."