[OFFICIAL] Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox (AF6)

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
REDAER DNIM EHT
Troll

[OFFICIAL] Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox (AF6)

Post by REDAER DNIM EHT » Thu 4th Oct 2007

Yep that's it, the long awaited title of the next bestseller in the AF series.

Below is a segment of an interview conducted by Matt for http://www.artemis-fowl.com

WARNING: TITLE AND SPOILERS! Book should be released somepoint next year 8)

Enjoy!

REDAER DNIM EHT

M=Matt EC=Eoin Colfer

EC:The current title I have is Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox, and there are actually several paradoxes, but there's one main one.

M: Have you got a good idea for the plot yet?

EC: Well, I do, I can give you the bones of it. At the beginning of the book... well, I'll give you the plot outline. Artemis' mother is dying, and the only thing that can save her is the brain fluid... it's a rare condition... the brain fluid of an extinct species of animal. He knows it's extinct, because he killed the last one five years ago. So, now he has to go back and get this animal, before he kills it, well, before his younger self kills it. So, the nice Artemis that has become fairly decent goes back in time to face himself, who was pretty despicable. In the past... so, that's it, in a nutshell. So really, it's not that simple, and there's a lot of different characters that get involved and it doesn't go smoothly, of course. But I wanted some really strong motivation on this one, and all his other adventures that have been really strong have been to do with his parents, and now his mother is dying and she has like three days to live. He believes that he's caused her to have the disease, and also destroyed the only cure. So it's quite ecological, about different species and extinction. I mean, he didn't stab the last lemur in the head, but he is responsible. He's absolutely torn, and in order to get the LEP to let him go back, he has to make Holly believe that she is the reason his mother is dying. That it's down to her.

M: So, he's again playing around with her to suit his own needs?

EC: He feels terrible, because he really likes Holly. He has to tell her this though, so she believes that she has almost killed his mother. And also, we go back a little into Holly's history, and how her own mother dies in a radiation accident caused by humans, and all of her history about why she really hated humans in the first book. The Hamburg Incident is also mentioned a lot in the first book, so we go back to that when she goes back in time. It's a way to tie up a lot of stuff.

M: So a lot of the things that have been mentioned but not actually shown through the book will be brought up?

EC: Oh, yes, just the things that have been mentioned in passing will be tied up, but not in a way that get... clunky, or interferes with the current plot.

M: Will Holly be back with the LEP in this one? Or will she be back with Mulch as a detective, or maybe even back with Section 8?

EC: Well, you see, Section 8's whole purpose was to monitor the demons' appearances, so now that there will be no more appearances, they've kind of... merged with the LEP. She has been away for three years, and things have kind of moved on, Foaly's married and he's kind of settled down a bit, she's feeling a little bit displaced, and she's brooding on her mother and where her life is going, so she's kind of vulnerable.

M: So it makes things worse when Artemis messes her around?

EC: Yeah... it's probably one of the worst things he has ever done. To do that, but he needs No.1 to take him to the past, but they won't release him, the LEP won't allow it, unless he kind of... emotionally black-mails them, which he does.

M: Will we see any other characters returning? Ex-villains perhaps, like Jon Spiro?

EC: One villain comes back, but it's kind of a twist, so I won't talk about that... There is a new group of bad guys in this one though, and they're called The Extinctionists, and they're humans, and they believe that – and there are groups of people like this around – they believe in the supremacy of... they're not racists, they're... they believe in the supremacy of the human race. They're supremacists. They believe everything else is just taking up oxygen. They come into contact with the fairy people... anyway, I don't want to give away too much, it'll ruin the book!

During the Interview Eoin also:
*Confirms a second Graphic Novel
*Comments on the movie going "ish"
*And talks more about the up and coming "Airman" and a "possible" supernaturalist sequal!

THATS ALL IM SAYING! YOU WANT MORE INFO THEN CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR THE FULL INTERVIEW!

http://www.artemis-fowl.com/author_interviews/afc_4.php
Last edited by darvit on Wed 10th Oct 2007, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stickied by darvit. No more threads about the interview, please!

How "Fowl" Are You?? Try Out My Personality Quiz And Find Out! Simply Click The Link Below:

https://forum.fangathering.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3642

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Re: Artemis Fowl And The Time Paradox

Post by 1hollyfan » Fri 5th Oct 2007

awesome! foaly is amrried???? and artemis is messing with holly again????
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Arty's lil girl
Dwarf Miner
Location: Waiting 4 the vampires, child prodigies, winged creatures, people cursed 2 becum animals,and wizards

Post by Arty's lil girl » Sat 6th Oct 2007

Arty's messing with Holly's head Angela Fowl is dying Foalys married and an evil character is returning I bet you its Kong. he scares me just as long as Arty doesnt have a love intrest Im able to comprehend

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 6th Oct 2007

Bah. He WILL have a love interest. Methinks Minerva. But the part about Artemis messing with Holly again just really ticks me off. Perhaps Holly will kill him after she finds out. Nice way to end a best-selling series. :lol:
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 7th Oct 2007

Honestly, there are too many aspects of the new plot that don't appeal to me. The biggest being time travel. I mean, seriously- ther's been enough of it! And the time travel in TLC is riddled with plot holes. And even ignoring that... I just think it's been overdone. And Artemis meeting up with the 'evil version of himself... wasn't that the purpose of Minerva?

The only thing that intrigues me about the time travel is how it enables Colfer to bring an old villain back without it being really, really rediculous. And I hope it's Opal, because she's my favorite villain, but I hope not at the same time because that's sort of bad writing.

The only thing I read in the whole plot description that really made me feel all fangirl I-need-to-read-this-book-NOW was when he talked about Artemis messing with Holly's mind, trying to make her feel responsible about what's happening to his mother so that he can save her. And dealing with his concious. That's the sort of plot element that makes me look forward to a book. Not finding out about Holly's mother or whatever else.

And I wish Colfer had mentioned the twins.

EDIT: I just realized that this post makes me look like I'm not looking forward to book 6. I AM. More than can be expressed with text. Or even smilies.

BlackOpal
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by BlackOpal » Sun 7th Oct 2007

What I don't like is the "The only cure for it has been extinct years ago..." It just seems to much like other books I've read. The Lost Years of Merlin, by T.A. Baron, what happened was the main character's mother was dieing and he had to go on a quest for a cure.
I also loved the whole "messing with Holly's mind" thing. I also am excited for a return villain. I don't think that it'll be too ridiculous.
Thanks to darvit and /b/for my signature. :D
And thanks Kagoma, for the awesome birthday present that is the C&H sprite!
You can't take the sky from me.
1/4/10- The end of the world as you know it
And it's just the beginning...

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sun 7th Oct 2007

MMK, you are so right. I don't feel as excited about the plot of the sixth book as I think I should be. Don't get me wrong, I am excited, it's just that the story line isn't as original as it is in the others. Or so he makes it appear. Maybe it will be better than we think. I wish we could know more, but that would sorta defeat the purpose of debating on the forums. Oh well, but if Colfer writes it, I will read it! I will love it regardless of the plot.

BlackOpal- I just checked out "Lost Years of Merlin" from the library. Thanks for recommmending it!
I'm Normally Paranormal.

00Darkangel00
Gnome

Omg!! Foaly!!... *spoilers included*

Post by 00Darkangel00 » Mon 8th Oct 2007

I can't believe Colfer tied Foaly up with someone. Most likely Calabaline. Anywho, for those of you who haven't read or heard of it yet, there you go. Heres the quote and the link.

"She has been away for three years, and things have kind of moved on, Foaly's married and he's kind of settled down a bit, she's feeling a little bit displaced"-(she bing Holly) Eoin Colfer. Artemis Fowl Confidential Sep. 07 Interview -http://www.artemis-fowl.com/author_interviews/afc_4.php

The plot summary will be my next topic

LEP
Troll

Re: Omg!! Foaly!!... *spoilers included*

Post by LEP » Mon 8th Oct 2007

yea, i hate that EC made foaly with someone, i don't like this idea, foaly seems to be one for five books and now this happenes....
ONE CAN MAKE A SMILE SO BEAUTIFUL

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Re: [OFFICIAL] Artemis Fowl And The Time Paradox (AF6)

Post by veelagirl » Mon 8th Oct 2007

OMG!! but..
Foaly gets married? how long has it been since the 5th?
Artemis mum needs lemur brainfluid to cure her?
Extinctionists come into contact with fairies? How? doesnt that mean more genii?
wats a paradox?
wat about artys love life that every1 is obsessed with?
more past? urghhhh....
a villian comes back? plz not opal AGAIN!

those r my main concerns.
hello. my name is veelagirl.

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Mon 8th Oct 2007

I've had a thought... What if the villain of which he speaks is Artemis? Artemis was the villain in the first book, so maybe something happens and he turns against the fairies? I don't like that idea, but it is plausible. I mean, I have a stron felling that it's not Opal, and Spiro is locked up, so Artemis is really the only other enemy. :shock:
I'm Normally Paranormal.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Mon 8th Oct 2007

:shock:

Hollyfan- wow.

That. Is. The. Best. Idea. EVER.

Now I really, really, want Artemis to be the enemy. I have no clue how that would work, but it would be an utterly fantastica idea. Because I kept thinking what you just said- even with the time travel, what villain could possibly come back in an interesting way? Well, I agree with you that Artemis is really the only one who can.

I hope that's who Colfer means! :jump:

Probably not, though... it really sounded like he meant somebody else.

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

I dunno, he told us that it was a twist, so maybe when he goes back in time, he somehow makes it so that he never finds the fairies and he reverts back to his old self. Of course, It's alot of loose ends to tie up in one book, so he may make it so that there's another addition.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

REDAER DNIM EHT
Troll

Post by REDAER DNIM EHT » Mon 8th Oct 2007

Maybe when he says a villain will be returning, maybe hemeans Artemis (as in his evil past personality)

Or I was thinking maybe Arno Blunt or someone from the "past" as in book 2-3 rather than a recent book.

Who Knows (other tha EC)

All the best,

REDAER DNIM EHT

How "Fowl" Are You?? Try Out My Personality Quiz And Find Out! Simply Click The Link Below:

https://forum.fangathering.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3642

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Ummmm... wasn't that what I just said? Never mind, or amybe when they go back, they somehow bring back the evil Artemis instead of the present Artemis?
I'm Normally Paranormal.