Does Anyone Else Get A Bad Feeling About Minerva?

Anything about the Fowl books.
00Darkangel00
Gnome

Does Anyone Else Get A Bad Feeling About Minerva?

Post by 00Darkangel00 » Sun 23rd Sep 2007

Although I'm the BIGGEST Holly & Artemis shipper...ever, as I'm sure almost ALL of you already know, I gonna be completely unbiased here. I mean look...

"On the other hand, though she may return in the following novel, she may be appearing as the role of one of Artemis' new enemies. She makes queer and unconventional comments that suggest this. Not only does she have many motives, Artemis stealing her chances of the Nobel Prize being one, but she actually vows that Artemis Fowl will "be her next project." She actually states that she will "forgo the Nobel Prize, for this year at any rate. When she knows what Artemis Fowl knows, there are whole worlds just beyond her grasp."-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_Paradizo

Compared to

"Artemis himself has stated that once puberty hits, he expects he will see her in a different light from "friend". I suppose to test such feelings, Holly gives him a kiss on the cheek in The Lost Colony, to which he stuggles, to some extent, to maintain his affections, stating hurtlingly that he has his "emotions under control- just about". Many of Holly's co-officers admired her even though she was a "rebel officer", and many of them were sorry to see her resign (especially Foaly), but they knew she would be happier free; Ark Sool would have monitored her too carefully."-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Short

I mean...at least Im not the only one thinking this here!! Does anyone else feel the same way?!?

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Re: Does Anyone Else Get A Bad Feeling About Minerva?

Post by 1hollyfan » Sun 23rd Sep 2007

i really dont feel at all that way. i think that artemis does have emotions for her, but it wont develope into a relationship!

minerva has had three years to reflect on her bad decisions. three years ago i was a god-awful brat. now, my grandpa says im the sweetest of his granchildren. alot can change in three years, especially since she thinks that she caused artemis's death. guilt has probably morphed her into a sweeter, kinder, more sensitive person!

plus, i dont think that holly has returned artemis's feelings for her. i mean, shes over 60 years older than him. i really dont think that they will have any, i mean any type of anything past friendship.
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Vinyáya rocks
Dwarf Miner
Location: Haven, in the LEP headquarters (just kidding Italy^^)

Post by Vinyáya rocks » Sat 13th Oct 2007

I'm a huge Arty/Holly shipper too :twisted: I don't hate Mineva, but I think Colfer could develop a better character. I mean, it's OK if she's a genius, but does she have to be BEAUTIFUL?! "And quite the her beauty. Sharp as a samurai sword too"...Oh gosh, but WHY?! If Arty has to fall in love with a human girl and not with Holly, please, make a NORMAL looking girl! She doesn't need to look like Cudgeon with a wig, but just to be more similar to a normal girl who's reading AF! Neither Arty is that handsome (the book says he's pale and skinny, but it never says he's good-looking). Anyway, Minerva can stay but I really hope to see a A/H romance in the next book. It's much more interesting 8)
"....possibly Vinyàya. She's always had a thing for me, devilshly attractive as I am"
"You're joking, of course."
"I never joke."

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 13th Oct 2007

Haha, yeah. Have you ever noticed that all of Colfer's charaters aren't NORMAL?! (clue) I am slightly A/H, but mostly A/M. I mean, it is soooo predictable. He didn't introduce Minerva for no good reason.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Meova
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Meova » Tue 16th Oct 2007

Or he makes Minerva the next enemy from Artemis.

Vinyáya rocks wrote:Oh gosh, but WHY?! If Arty has to fall in love with a human girl and not with Holly, please, make a NORMAL looking girl!

*Jumps up and down with her hand up* Pick me, pick me! :P

But anyway, I agree with 1hollyfan. Holly cannot possibly have feelings for Artemis. Okay, not that it isn't possible, more that it isn't likely. But if they're soulmates... But even if they are, which is kind of unlikely, that would be not good for Holly, since she will live so much longer than Artemis. Or she has to die from something, but I hope that that doesn't happen!
Last edited by Meova on Thu 18th Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
My LiveJournal. Spread the word! ;)
Darvit, 1holly, and also our beloved /b/, we'll never forget you!
AugNo Winner of 2009! :awesome:
1/4/10. Watch it. It'll be huge.

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Wed 17th Oct 2007

I love it when people back me up!

I suppose that Minerva could be an enemy. But te thing is, when Artemis started out, he was a god-awful stuck up brat. When we first met Minerva, she was the same. Three years have passed since we met Artemis (not including time tunnel years), and three years since Minerva (including). They have both had enough time to mature and develope emotionally, physically, and personality-wise. Minerva could be as nice as Artemis now. Don't judge Minerva by the way that she acted before Artemis disappeared. I am not.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Wed 17th Oct 2007

I really get a bad feeling about her. I think it is because we know so little about her and because she tries so hard to get artemis to like her. She is also a spoiled brat used to getting her own way and will stop at nothing to make sure she gets it.

THe idea of artemis and holly is wierd firsty big age gap secondly different species thirdly what would their children be like. Artemis would be best suited to a human that can show him the right path, someone who likes him because of him not his intelligents, someone he would be proud to show to his parents and someone who can help cope with the twins when left on babysitting duty.

Holly would be better suited with either foaly or trouble kelp.
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Meova

Post by Meova » Wed 17th Oct 2007

But, Hollyfan, Minerva hasn't gone through all the "Save the fairies" things Artemis has gone through. Neither did she have a Holly on her side. So it might turn out completely different. Or Minerva's behaviour changed, so that she is now good too, or she used those 3 years to make her plan to do something to Artemis *or whatever* perfect. So it could still go either way.
ImageImageImageImage

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 18th Oct 2007

First of all, I mostly agree with Meova, but I think it's far more likely that Minerva is 'good', because Butler isn't stupid enough to hang out with her otherwise. I think that we saw the beginning of real change in TLC. Minerva would not forget what nearly happened to her family, nor what Artemis did for her.

I really get a bad feeling about her. I think it is because we know so little about her and because she tries so hard to get artemis to like her. She is also a spoiled brat used to getting her own way and will stop at nothing to make sure she gets it.

We actually know quite a lot about her. I mean, we know more about her than we do Holly! Or at least, I feel like I do. We haven't spent much time with her, bookwise, it's true, but that could be said for any new character. I don't see anyone getting bad feelings about Doodah...

Also, when has she tried to get Artemis to like her? Once again, I cannot think of a single example... I mean, the thing Artemis finds most attractive about her, aside from her beauty (which I judge to be an effect of hormones and not anything Minerva's done) is her sense of humor/quark joke. Which she didn't even know Artemis had heard.

And lastly, as has already been pointed out, Artemis was the exact same way in the first book- in fact, I would say he was worse. Minerva's plan was to stop an invasion by a hostile species, and get a noble prize at the same time. Artemis's plan was to threaten and kidnap from a non-hostile species, in order to steal their gold. Which plan sounds more moral? Of course, what she did was bad too, but not worse than what he did.

Oh, I love debates. :)

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Thu 18th Oct 2007

Everyone does, MMK. I do see the logic in what you just said. The thing about Doodah Day, that's a good point. I mean, shouldn't we have a bad feeling about Mulch too? He did do all of that stuff for Holly and Artemis, but only because he had to.

And if Artemis was changed, then Minerva can definately change. I don't really see the point in the "die minerva die" thing. What did she ever do to you? You don't see anyone saying "die artemis die" do you? Artemis was worse than Minerva in the beginning. I never had the slightest inkling of doubt about Minerva until I joined FG and saw all of the Minerva hating. Whatever.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Thu 18th Oct 2007

I think it's far more likely that Minerva is 'good', because Butler isn't stupid enough to hang out with her otherwise. I think that we saw the beginning of real change in TLC. Minerva would not forget what nearly happened to her family, nor what Artemis did for her.

we know more about her than we do Holly! We haven't spent much time with her, bookwise, it's true, but that could be said for any new character. I don't see anyone getting bad feelings about Doodah...

And lastly, as has already been pointed out, Artemis was the exact same way in the first book- in fact, I would say he was worse. Minerva's plan was to stop an invasion by a hostile species, and get a noble prize at the same time. Artemis's plan was to threaten and kidnap from a non-hostile species, in order to steal their gold. Which plan sounds more moral? Of course, what she did was bad too, but not worse than what he did.

I guess I kinda agree with you on most of these points(artemis was definatly the worst). I hadnt actually thought about the butler thing. You raise some good points that I simply cant deny. I suppose we just have to wait and see!
(BTW its obvious your had debates before your quite good but Im sure Ill get better in time.)
Image Image

Meova

Post by Meova » Thu 18th Oct 2007

Well, OK, Minerva had Butler. But didn't she fool her father too in some sort of way? *Kinda playing Devil's advocate now... :P Aw man, is that the correct name in English?*
ImageImageImageImage

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Fri 19th Oct 2007

What? Minerva? Yes.

Fooling her father wouldn't come naturally to her, as it didn't come naturally to Artemis with his mother. He had to force himself to do it, then to live with the guilt afterwards.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Meova

Post by Meova » Sat 20th Oct 2007

Did he also feel guilty about it in the first book? Oh, I thought he did... But, point is, we don't know Minerva like we know Artemis. It might as well be that she would feel good about it, for reasons we don't know.
ImageImageImageImage

Cabaline

Post by Cabaline » Sat 20th Oct 2007

What happened to Minerva's mother? Maybe she wants to avenge her mother(for some random reason :? )
Image Image