Opal Koboi = Charles Manson?

Anything about the Fowl books.
p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Opal Koboi = Charles Manson?

Post by p5ychic » Mon 17th Sep 2007

Okay, so I learned a little yesterday.

you pit two races against each other and when they take each other down, you emerge as ruler.

What does that sound like? A summary of Opal's plan from Artemis Fowl 4.
What else does it sound like? One of Charles Manson's plans.

You think there's a connection?

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Re: Opal Koboi = Charles Manson?

Post by MMK » Mon 17th Sep 2007

I've heard a lot about that- a lot of people thought that was what Snape was doing before they read book 7 (well, not two races, but Harry and Voldemort).

That's definitely what Opal was doing, but I think it's a stretch to say that relates her to Charles Manson.

Then again, I have no clue who that is... who is Charles Manson?

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Mon 17th Sep 2007

yeah, who is charles manson? i'll read up on him...
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Sat 22nd Sep 2007

Does "Helter Skelter" ring a bell? XD

Charles Manson was this huge American cult leader who brainwashed tons of people back in the late 1960s. He was quite the charismatic one; they were quite a huge cult. Together with his followers, they all lived in a huge compound somewhere in Death Valley.

Anyway, Manson was famous for this huge mass murder case that his followers carried out. He believed that a racial war between whites and blacks would happen in the near future--kind of like the cross-species war that Opal was planning, but not quite--and he got this idea from the Beatles' music [specifically from a song called "Helter Skelter"] and the Bible's Book of Revelation [from the New Testament]. He would interpret the Beatles songs and Revelation verses and connect them to his prophecies about a racial war. He was so charismatic, I guess, that they all just got brainwashed.

Both scenarios--the idea of a cross-racial war and the inter-species war--seem very similar, though I highly doubt that Colfer would do a Charles Manson reference [of all people!]. XD

But there definitely is a parallelism. :) You could think of it as historical allegory, or something. :P Excellent literary criticism skills, P5YCHIC! :D
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 22nd Sep 2007

omg, i remember him! :shock:

ive watched almost four documentaries on him. yeah, i guess opal would be like him then. :?
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sat 29th Sep 2007

hmmm, you could have something there
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 29th Sep 2007

well, i dont think that opal would come back. shes sorta done her time. charles mansin sorta IS like opal koboi, now that you mention it...
I'm Normally Paranormal.

_Lenore_
Dwarf Thief
Location: Not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Post by _Lenore_ » Wed 10th Oct 2007

Hm. I've never noticed that before. But then again, I've never known who Charles Manson was before now. :P

But, I guess, it depends on how you look at it. Blacks vs. whites isn't exactly a cross-species war, not like fairies vs. humans. The latter is different altogether. But I guess you can put it that way... hmmmm.... *puts on thinking cap*
ImageImageImage
"I have CDO... It's like OCD, only I put the letters in alphabetical order." - my mom

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Wed 10th Oct 2007

White supremist groups, such as KKK and The Skinheads, believe that blacks are a completely different race. I should know, I live in the Deep South. So in some ways Blacks vs. Whites is in some people's eyes a cross-pecies war. But I don't think there would be enough white or black supremists to start a world war.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Wed 31st Oct 2007

isnt this off topic?
hello. my name is veelagirl.

p5ychic
Kwisatz Haderach

Post by p5ychic » Thu 1st Nov 2007

No.

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Thu 1st Nov 2007

ok sorry.
hello. my name is veelagirl.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 1st Nov 2007

I think posting an 'isn't this off-topic?' post is about as off-topic as you can get. Not to mention it's spam...

Anyway, now that I've read darvit's summary, and now who Charles Manson is, I think that it's a really interesting comparison, but I still don't think there's a real connection.

nutrino
Dwarf Thief

Post by nutrino » Tue 6th Nov 2007

Going back to the black and white war, it wouldn't be cross secies because black and white people are both humans, and we should do everything we can to stop racism and end this pointless rift.if there are any racist people reading this then i have message for you and your racist friends- you are as bad as hitler and more evil. i don't care how much trouble i get into because of this.
Hello again.

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Wed 7th Nov 2007

Not saying that I believe that whites and blacks are different races, but there are people that do. So maybe the idea of Charles Manson= Opal Koboi isn't that farfetched. Charles Manson also created a cult of young women... need I say more? I think we all know what he did with them.
I'm Normally Paranormal.