names- did anyone notice this?

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

names- did anyone notice this?

Post by 1hollyfan » Fri 3rd Aug 2007

there are a few names ive noticed in Artemis Fowl that mean something. I no that there is a page on the main site about this, but these arent on there and i was wondering if anyone else has noticed them.

General Scalene- scalene is a type of triangle where none of the angles are equal. triangle... triad? coincidence?
J. Argon- jargon is technical speak. like NASA scientist lango tat no one else understands. I thought that was interesting.
Professor Cumulus- i dont care if thats not how u spell it. cumulus= type of cloud. head in the clouds?
Chix Verbil- chix= chicks. as in always trying to impress the ladies?

did anyone else make any connections like these? or did they even think about these? eoin doesnt seem to just make up names. he thinks about them. is there any connection that you thought of that i havent?
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Artemis_Yanez
Dwarf Miner

Re: names- did anyone notice this?

Post by Artemis_Yanez » Fri 3rd Aug 2007

I have noticed them when I was reading the series, but didnt really commit them to memory.
"Its my father's name" said Artemis Wearily having explained this hundred times "It can either be a girls or boys name, and means the hunter Rather apt don't you think?"

https://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/181/

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Fri 3rd Aug 2007

yeah, well, i sorta think bout those things.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

_Lenore_
Dwarf Thief
Location: Not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Post by _Lenore_ » Fri 3rd Aug 2007

Yeah, these are cool. I only noticed the Chix one, though, when I read the chapter in Arctic Incident called, "Cruisin' for Chix". Didn't see the other ones. :P
Well, maybe I noticed "Scalene" and "Cumulus", but I didn't really pay attention to that, did I?
Lenore ish narrow-minded.
:D
ImageImageImage
"I have CDO... It's like OCD, only I put the letters in alphabetical order." - my mom

Mentos_not_mental
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by Mentos_not_mental » Fri 3rd Aug 2007

Heh, I noticed the one for Chix and Cumulus. Everything else didn't make me think about it much.
The Ship wars continue. Choose your side. I am H/T forever! I am PROUD of it.
You look down on me, but i am not there.
Shh... I am hiding from the truth!

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 4th Aug 2007

yeah, i thought the jargon one was pretty clever.. even my dad didnt notice it and hes a chemical engineer.. off subject... anyone else have any connections that i should no about? every time i see a new name i try to make a connection.. evne if there isnt one.. sounds like english teachers, doesnt it? :lol:
I'm Normally Paranormal.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Fri 10th Aug 2007

Oh, those are good ones... I didn't think of J. Argon as being Jargon, I alwaus thought of Argon like Argon the element. That's really cool. Same with the triangle/triad thing. And scalene triangles are sort of mismatched and ugly.

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 11th Aug 2007

yeah, my thoughts too. i was thinking element argon until i saw his name printed 'J. Argon'. that sorta made the connection.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Arty's lil girl
Dwarf Miner
Location: Waiting 4 the vampires, child prodigies, winged creatures, people cursed 2 becum animals,and wizards

Post by Arty's lil girl » Sat 11th Aug 2007

I have noticed it I also noticed that Holly's related to Cupid right. Well the name Holly is a plant with GREEN leaves and RED berries. Holly's hair is auburn which in hair color is a very deep red, and the color of LEPrecon suit is/was green. Holly the plant is also used in the Christmas holiday, and Cupid is involved in Valentines Day. Coincidence I think not

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 11th Aug 2007

hmmmm... all good points. i didnt think about that. nice thinking. :o
I'm Normally Paranormal.

teslashark
Gnome

Post by teslashark » Thu 23rd Aug 2007

Opal Koboi=OK 8)
Artemis outsmarts most creatures; I outsmart Artemis.
Butler scares most creatures; I scare Butler.
Mulch outfarts most creatures; I outfart Mulch.

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Thu 23rd Aug 2007

thats quite kl... one thing i do know about names is that artemis is an anagram of smartie. ARTEMIS = SMARTIE.
hello. my name is veelagirl.

TheFoalyGenius
Gnome

Post by TheFoalyGenius » Tue 28th Aug 2007

No...dammit i wish i had... :razz:
Alice Cullen quirkier than thou since 1901 =)

REDAER DNIM EHT
Troll

Post by REDAER DNIM EHT » Wed 29th Aug 2007

noticed it but sorta dismissed it

How "Fowl" Are You?? Try Out My Personality Quiz And Find Out! Simply Click The Link Below:

https://forum.fangathering.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3642

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Mon 3rd Sep 2007

yeah, we could go on and on about initials, but im looking for more names. no offence. that was good
I'm Normally Paranormal.