Artemis loves Minerva

Anything about the Fowl books.
Post Reply
User avatar
Modest-Genius
Troll
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri 16th Feb 2007

Artemis loves Minerva

Post by Modest-Genius » Wed 18th Jul 2007

Well I finally decided to make a topic about it you all know that I argue about it until I’m blue in the face. I know that there are hundreds are topics about how Minerva sucks, how she’s to perfect, how she just isn’t right for Artemis. But is there just one, just one that is actually defending.

The pairing of Artemis and Minerva seems to be the most arguable and controversial thing on this board today. There are numerous ways people approach the argument, some people like MMK try and think of good points, some just say “Die Minerva die” I respect the former more rather than the latter.

She’s jut that damn good

Well the first thing that people usually bring up is that Minerva is just to perfect to be a believable character. I disagree, completely. Yes Minerva is a genius, attractive, about Artemis’s age, he’s completely smitten with her and to top it all of found about the fairy’s even if it was by accident.

But she isn’t perfect which is proven numerous times during the book. Examples are:
*When Artemis out smarts her time and time again
*Trusting a man like Kong
*Having her little tantrums
*Showing a bit of teenage sass flashing the “W” sign for whatever
*Being annoyed at her brother for his unavoidable immaturity
*Not being able to hold it together when she gets captured

Some people even try and make the same argument at once which is ridiculous. You can’t one moment say that she is to perfect and the next say she isn’t right for Artemis because she has a short temper! No as far as I’m concerned she isn’t Mary Sue, just because she has some perfect qualities doesn’t make her perfect. Just because Albus Dumbledore seems to be an all knowing god like figure doesn’t make him perfect. Just because Artemis seems to always be one step ahead doesn’t mean he isn’t sometimes outmatched.


The Jealousy Issue

Ah know this point is going to make a lot of girls very angry at me. Let’s come to facts about 99% of the people who don’t like Minerva are females. And it pains me to say it, it really does but I think that most of you are jealous of Minerva. Now Artemis he has his flaws as does every person but the girls who *giggles like Mulch* fall in love with Artemis tend to ignore these flaws. Artemis is suddenly a perfect gentlemen (err no), he is suddenly a wiz at sports (god no), and he of course just needs a nice girl to help him unlock his real feelings (yeah...right.)

But what about your young ladies rivals. Well Juliet was a bit old for Artemis and nothing was ever suggested so you girls all loved Juliet. The more obvious one is Holly. Holly was Artemis’s mortal enemy though in the first book, and by book number 2 when things started being suggested you were already all behind the female lead character Holly. So you had no one to contend with, you had Arty all to your selves. And then with six swift taps of his key board Eion Colfer gave birth to Minerva. Finally there was a someone who you had direct competition with, someone who might actually end up with Artemis. This couldn’t happen! Minerva was to-, she was to-, she was to- PERFECT! *Does Foaly’s four step dance* ah ha you were jealous!

And I’m not blaming you. What girl wouldn’t want to be attractive, rich, and intelligent and have a presumably attractive, rich and intelligent boy lusting after her? Not that I’m insulting any of your intelligences but none of you are as smart as Minerva and if Artemis falls for Minerva, then what hope does your fantasy of Artemis falling for a normal girl like yourself have?

To cut a long story short. Really have a think to your self. Do you dislike Minerva because she is all wrong for Artemis, or is it because Artemis has feelings for her? I don’t like Draco Malfoy but I don’t scream “DIE DRACO DIE!” I’ll give you a few moments to think about it.

-------------------
---------------------
------------------------
--------------------------
------------------------
----------------------
--------------------


Already dismissing the jealousy theory? You probably are then.

General Arguments

Minerva is only pretending to like Artemis to get back at him: - I won’t deny it’s a possibility as I could see this happening. It’s not what I’m expecting but it could happen.

Minerva is pure Evil: – She loves her baby brother, she has a conscience believe me no she’s not.

Minerva only wants Artemis for his money: - She’s rich her self she doesn’t need him, plus if she were to do that she’d pick an idiot young rich heir.

Minerva isn’t smart enough for Artemis: - How smart do you have to be for god’s sake?

Minerva just isn’t right for Artemis: - Oh come on don’t throw that c*ap at me there has to be a reason. These are the last words of someone who has run out of good arguments.
Last edited by Modest-Genius on Fri 20th Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Image

User avatar
MMK
Orion's Misfortune
Posts: 4640
Joined: Wed 18th Oct 2006
Location: United States

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by MMK » Thu 19th Jul 2007

Very nice argument, M-G. I'm impressed.

First:
Let’s come to facts about 99% of the people who don’t like Artemis Fowl are females.

You mean Minerva, right? Because most people I know who like AF are girls. That could just be me, though.

Anyway:
Most of your arguments are pretty valid, but I think that a lot of your evidence towards Minerva 'not being perfect' isn't really evidence. I mean, Artemis outsmarting her is not a personality flaw, nor is it a weakness. I mean, Artemis beats everybody. And her "Showing a bit of teenage sass" is not such a weakness either. And as for "Being annoyed at her brother for his unavoidable immaturity"- Who doesn't get annoyed at their siblings? And I also don't think that she wasn't able to hold it together because she was captured, I think it was more because she loved her father, which is not a character flaw either. Really, all of your evidence points to only one flaw, which is that Minerva is immature. And she is. She throws tantrums, she's self-centered, she thinks that she's always the smartest in any situation, even when facing Artemis. She's naive, and has no experience in the real world, smart as she is. But that's only one flaw, as I said.

* I have to go, I'll finish this post later
Image

User avatar
Modest-Genius
Troll
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri 16th Feb 2007

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by Modest-Genius » Fri 20th Jul 2007

MMK wrote:Very nice argument, M-G. I'm impressed.

First:
Let’s come to facts about 99% of the people who don’t like Artemis Fowl are females.

You mean Minerva, right? Because most people I know who like AF are girls. That could just be me, though.


Yeah that was a miss type I'll edit it now thanks for pointing it out.
Image

Image

User avatar
veelagirl
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon 11th Jun 2007
Location: London, on the roof of Harrods Department Store...
Contact:

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by veelagirl » Sat 21st Jul 2007

hmm... well i hate minerva!
hello. my name is veelagirl.
Image

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue 7th Nov 2006
Location: Thailand
Contact:

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by The III Prodigy » Sat 21st Jul 2007

veelagirl wrote:hmm... well i hate minerva!


Teehee...this was just one of those posts M-G was talkin' about. The 'Die Minerva Die' posts!

Great argument, M-G. Gotta hand it to you! I just can't be bothered arguing anymore, for some people make NO sense whatsoever when they're arguing! Just going back to spammy messages, so I gave up. Wait till Book 6 comes out...then...HA!

Anyways, great job! *approves*
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

User avatar
1hollyfan
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun 15th Jul 2007
Location: Who wansta know?

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by 1hollyfan » Sun 22nd Jul 2007

I have t admit im a bit jealous of minerva :catfight: . laugh all you like MG, but everyone is suseptible to hormones. geez. i no for a fact that arty is attractive because eoin said it himself. and why wouldnt he be?

I have to say that that was a pretty good argument. i never disliked minnie. it wasnt until i started seeing these "i hate minerva" or "die minerva die" things thati was aware that anyone hated her. oh well, there loss. :woot:
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

User avatar
veelagirl
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon 11th Jun 2007
Location: London, on the roof of Harrods Department Store...
Contact:

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by veelagirl » Sun 22nd Jul 2007

i swear everyones a bit jealous. that means EVERYBODY.
hello. my name is veelagirl.
Image

User avatar
Modest-Genius
Troll
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri 16th Feb 2007

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by Modest-Genius » Sun 22nd Jul 2007

Hey don't get me wrong, I get jealous myself. Just not with fictional people, I don't try and compete with fictional people either. I'm not jealous of Artemis because he has Minerva so why should it be the other way round for females? If you'll allow me to do a Harry Potter quote

Women... :?
Image

Image

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue 7th Nov 2006
Location: Thailand
Contact:

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by The III Prodigy » Mon 23rd Jul 2007

1hollyfan wrote:I have t admit im a bit jealous of minerva :catfight: . laugh all you like MG, but everyone is suseptible to hormones. geez. i no for a fact that arty is attractive because eoin said it himself. and why wouldnt he be?

I have to say that that was a pretty good argument. i never disliked minnie. it wasnt until i started seeing these "i hate minerva" or "die minerva die" things thati was aware that anyone hated her. oh well, there loss. :woot:


WAIT. Halt it there. Colfer said Artemis was attractive?! When did he say that? And why the hell didn't I hear about it?! Colfer...???!!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

User avatar
veelagirl
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon 11th Jun 2007
Location: London, on the roof of Harrods Department Store...
Contact:

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by veelagirl » Mon 23rd Jul 2007

i didnt actually hear that myself but it just springs to everyones mind that coz hes kl, he must be attractive
hello. my name is veelagirl.
Image

User avatar
Modest-Genius
Troll
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri 16th Feb 2007

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by Modest-Genius » Mon 23rd Jul 2007

veelagirl wrote:i didnt actually hear that myself but it just springs to everyones mind that coz hes kl, he must be attractive


He's cool so he's attractive? I have always thought Artemis to look a bit indifferent to be honest. If he as attractive he'd have girls lining up at the gate to ask a rich handome lad out. I always thought he wasn't unattractive, just a bit plain.
Image

Image

User avatar
MMK
Orion's Misfortune
Posts: 4640
Joined: Wed 18th Oct 2006
Location: United States

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by MMK » Mon 23rd Jul 2007

I always pictured Artemis as unattractive. He's pale and overly skinny in my mind. Anyway, I suppose I just likle to picture characters as normal/unattractive as a contrast to the movies, where they always look good. I picture Holly as very pretty, though, because it says she is explicitly.
Image

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue 7th Nov 2006
Location: Thailand
Contact:

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by The III Prodigy » Mon 23rd Jul 2007

MMK wrote:I always pictured Artemis as unattractive. He's pale and overly skinny in my mind. Anyway, I suppose I just likle to picture characters as normal/unattractive as a contrast to the movies, where they always look good. I picture Holly as very pretty, though, because it says she is explicitly.


Hm...I've never thought of Arty as good-looking, or hot. Just really intimidating, and an air of mystique around him I reckon. But as for people who are SAID to be pretty, well, that's a different story, right?

And I can NEVER get why Artemis is skinny! Is it the food he eats? Or his good metabolism? I mean, he hardly exercises, how can he be skinny?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

User avatar
Modest-Genius
Troll
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri 16th Feb 2007

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by Modest-Genius » Mon 23rd Jul 2007

Artemis has a good diet, he eats no fast food, is some what of a vegan/vegetarain and eats only the finest of what he does eat.
Image

Image

User avatar
1hollyfan
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sun 15th Jul 2007
Location: Who wansta know?

Re: Artemis loves Minerva

Post by 1hollyfan » Tue 24th Jul 2007

MG, you are a guy right. it would be sorta sick for a girl to be healous of arty beacuse of minnie. he said that arty ws attractive a couple of times talking about minnie.
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

Post Reply