Is Colfer running out of ideas for some characters?

Anything about the Fowl books.
Modest-Genius
Troll

Post by Modest-Genius » Sat 7th Jul 2007

Well it’s been nagging me for a while. It just seems to me that in the last two books (in particular the last book) some of the characters have just been there for the sake of them being there. The main three guys suffering from this are Butler, Foaly and of course Mulch. I know that the main characters are Artemis and Holly but in the first three books they were all doing there parts and what ever so it kept switching between all the characters. But what have these guys done in the last two books?

Butler – Butler is probably the one out of three who suffers least because although he isn’t doing anything he’s always by Artemis’s side. I mean in Opal Deception he pulled the bridge up as Artemis and Holly were climbing it...and he throws grenades at Opals ship. Oh and there was that rescue from the bio bomb at the start. And in the next book he...fought of some guns near the end and that was about it. Not really much for two books worth.

Foaly – It seems to me that Colfer is getting a bit tired of Foaly (and Mulch) when Foaly appears in the last two books he doesn’t do much, hacks a camera or does a hologram and we wont hear about him again for 60 pages. Foaly is always “signing out” a bit early these days.

Mulch – In Opal deception Mulch escaped from prison, piloted a ship, and then planted the bombs on Opals at the end, summed up his role in a book in half sentence. In the next book he spat on someone, and then dug a tunnel for the (what was it again sprite?) to sneak into the Minerva’s house.

What are your guys opinions?

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Re: Is Colfer running out of ideas for some characters?

Post by MMK » Sun 8th Jul 2007

You have a fair point.

I don't know though. The only one that I really think is losing his role on Butler, and I've used that as evidence that he'll probably die (more on that in the Fowl of the Future forum). So that would be the explanation for him.

As for Mulch, he had one of the funniest scenes in TLC, or so I think. His role was EXTREMELY big in TOD, and before that, as well. I actually get the opposite feeling, that Colfer likes him too much. I mean, every book we find out, "Oh yeah, dwarfs have another awesome power that helps them in tight situations". But he's funny, so I don't really mind.

Foaly's role may have gotten marginally smaller. It just seems like it's gotten a lot smaller because he had such an extra big role in TAI.

What I really think happened is that TLC was more Artemis-centric than any of the others. So the others were featured less, so that Artemis can have more time. I think it may be a good thing, actually. Whenever I read a chapter that centers on Holly, I always wish for it to hurry up and get to Artemis. So I'm not too displeased. The only character I really feel the lack of is Foaly. I do wish he were in there a bit more. But if the story moves well without him, then it should move without him.

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Fri 13th Jul 2007

true. when we can finally post to eoin colfer u should put this argument in. its a good argument, and u put it well. :D
hello. my name is veelagirl.

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Tue 24th Jul 2007

you all have good points. i love all of the characters, but i think butler has to go :( eoin will probs kill him off in book 6
Proud Member of the Loveless Fangirls!
And of the Loving Fangirls!
I'm Normally Paranormal.
A Co-Founder of the Insane Club.
*pant* I'm also part of the Anime Lover's Club.
And... *cough* the.... Book Club

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Tue 24th Jul 2007

yeh... sniffle.....WWAAAAAAHHH!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Wed 25th Jul 2007

im not saying i WANT him to die, but still, he probs will... :( :( :( :(
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Yes, I am back! I have been super-dee-dooper busy. I just got back from vacation and I said to myself, "As soon as I get back, I am going to start posting on FG again. I miss those guys!" And I did miss you! I loved talking about AF with people who actually care! I might not be posting a lot in the next few days because there's still alot to do around our house, but I swear posts will start rushing in soon." Love you all!!!!

veelagirl
Centaur Genius

Post by veelagirl » Sun 29th Jul 2007

me agrees... :(

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sun 29th Jul 2007

list of characters that eoin is running out of ideas for and MAY kill off in sixh book(wow that was a mouthfull)

1.grub kelp
2. butler
3. foaly
4. opal koboi
5. juliet :(
6. trubs
I'm Normally Paranormal.

_Lenore_
Dwarf Thief
Location: Not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Post by _Lenore_ » Sun 5th Aug 2007

Juliet?! Nooo not Juliet! She's awesome! :(
I hope Eoin doesn't do a Jo Rowling and kill off our favorite characters! *tear* Grub was one of the best...
ImageImageImage
"I have CDO... It's like OCD, only I put the letters in alphabetical order." - my mom

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Fri 10th Aug 2007

lets not get onto harry potty. personally, i think he will pull a JK for shock effect.
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Artemis_Yanez
Dwarf Miner

Post by Artemis_Yanez » Fri 10th Aug 2007

I think Juliet might be the next bodyguard eventhough she hasnt been used much earlier I think in the next book she will have a bigger role. As for foaly he will be there if he isnt who will keep the LEP running as smoothly as it has been. The two characters that I want to see go poof are Opal and Ark Sool, he is just so annyoying. Grub why that doesnt make sense. Also foaly needs to be there for support.

those are my thoughts. So to me I would just wait and see what he does in the coming books.
"Its my father's name" said Artemis Wearily having explained this hundred times "It can either be a girls or boys name, and means the hunter Rather apt don't you think?"

https://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/181/

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Sat 11th Aug 2007

good points there. ark and opal are good candidates for the 'dead person file' :razz:
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Artemis_Yanez
Dwarf Miner

Post by Artemis_Yanez » Mon 13th Aug 2007

1hollyfan wrote:good points there. ark and opal are good candidates for the 'dead person file' :razz:

The dead's person's file, I love it!!

El Mono Loco Out!
"Its my father's name" said Artemis Wearily having explained this hundred times "It can either be a girls or boys name, and means the hunter Rather apt don't you think?"

https://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/181/

1hollyfan
Centaur Genius

Post by 1hollyfan » Thu 16th Aug 2007

im glad u like it. any more people u want to add. personally, i like the idea of winy, petty, egotistic grub dying, which is why trouble turns to holly for comfort. :razz:
I'm Normally Paranormal.

Modest-Genius
Troll

Post by Modest-Genius » Fri 17th Aug 2007

1hollyfan wrote:im glad u like it. any more people u want to add. personally, i like the idea of winy, petty, egotistic grub dying, which is why trouble turns to holly for comfort. :razz:

I think you've misunderstood what I meant about the characters. It's only the main characters that this applys to. People like Grub or Sool who only appear in a few books here and there are not going to be killed off because Colfer can't think of anything for them.

As fr the main characters Opal apperaing again in another book would be ridculous, her part in this story is over much like I would say Jon Spiro's part is over. Colfer isn't just going to murder them in the final book because he can't squish them in another plot.

I also don't think that he would resort to killing his characters like Butler or Mulch becuase he doesn't have any ideas for them! All that happens is that it makes his righting go a bit sloppy like with Mulch in TLC or Butler in OD. Butler came to close to death in the third book to be killed the final one, I see him as the unkillable Hagrid of the series. As for Mulch, come on no one has the heart to kill Mulch!