Is Holly a left-hander?

Anything about the Fowl books.
LEP
Troll

Is Holly a left-hander?

Post by LEP » Sat 26th May 2007

In Arctic Incident, Holly hurt her trigger finger and use magic to heal it, right?
And I realized in the book cover ,Holly's left hand is surrounded by blue sparks. So Holly is a left hander?
http://www.artemisfowl.co.uk/downloads/holly_1024x768.jpg
Last edited by LEP on Sun 27th May 2007, edited 1 time in total.
ONE CAN MAKE A SMILE SO BEAUTIFUL

SpringWater
Dwarf Miner

Post by SpringWater » Sat 26th May 2007

Good question .... i don´t know if holly is a left hander but you´re right with the book cover. Maybe it´s an chance... :?: :!: :?:
I scream
You scream
We all scream for Ice Cream!

Lufgif
Centaur Genius

Post by Lufgif » Sun 27th May 2007

Is this the U.K. cover? Pic, please?

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Sun 27th May 2007

Well, Colfer may put lots of them as lefties, coz he himself is a leftie I think. Like how he put Artemis is a slight leftie ambidextrous person? It was like 'how to put that Artemis was a left handed guy without gloating?' Aha! 'Put it in as ambidextrous slight-leftie Arty!'

Sorry if I don't make any sense :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
These avatars were from the AFC website!

My homepages: deviantART or FanFiction.net

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 27th May 2007

I think it may be some sort of illustration strategy, maybe to make the hand stand out more. I know that in the US Harry Potter covers, Harry is always shown holding his wand in his left hand even though the book specifically says he's right-handed. So I wouldn't count the AF cover as proof that Holly's a lefty.

I do think the III Prodigy is right, though, that if Colfer is left handed his characters are more likely to be, too.

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 27th May 2007

yes but they metioned in TAI when Holy was having her hand healed, as blue sparks covered her left hand [/i]
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Lufgif
Centaur Genius

Post by Lufgif » Sun 27th May 2007

What page?

LEP
Troll

Post by LEP » Wed 30th May 2007

Oh yes, really. In the silver cover book (I don't know US/UK), that's page 152-154.
ONE CAN MAKE A SMILE SO BEAUTIFUL

julius123
Troll

is holly a left hander?

Post by julius123 » Thu 31st May 2007

it's always a possibility that she's a left-hander.
this may sound strange, but I heard left-handers are more creative and curious.
I'm left-handed and i'm pretty creative. example:I mixed grape juice and root beer together to see how it tastes. it tastes like grape pop by the way, duh!
also, I made my own sport, it's called strock. it's sort of like hockey and shuffle board put together.
and i'm pretty smart too, at least smarter than everyone else in my class, but that's no challenge, everyone in my class is an ideot!
well, back to the point, it's possible that Holly is a left hander, and if she is, she must be glad she lost her eye, and not her left hand in the time portal(page 365, 5th book).
there once was a twelve year old boy, who's computer was his favourite toy,
but when he captured a fairy, things got a little hairy,
for he's easy to annoy.

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by The III Prodigy » Thu 31st May 2007

Lefties more creative and curious??? I don't think so. I was a leftie when I was young, but then I transferred myself to rightie, coz most sports are played with rights, even if there are leftie alterations.

No offense, but smartest in the class for you? Hm...with no capitals and wrong spelling?

Lufgif
Centaur Genius

Post by Lufgif » Thu 31st May 2007

It's to do with left-handers being right-brained. The right part of your brain is allegedly the creative part, although according to my science teacher that's been disproved. I'm not sure which part, though. The left-handers always being right brained, or the right brain being the creative section.

Zaquintor
Gnome

Lefty?

Post by Zaquintor » Thu 31st May 2007

I have no clue because this is not on the cover of my book! Wasn't the Neutrino a hand gun anyway :? She could have had a gun for both hands :D
Where Full Moon, Ancient Oak, And Twisted Water Meet!!

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Fri 1st Jun 2007

Well, she could have used her other hand, but she wouldn't have been as good. It's like trying to write with your non-dominant hand: It doesn't really work. Unless, of course, your ambidextrous.

She didn't really lose her eye anyway- she just got a human one.

III Prodigy: Try not to insult people. How they type in a forum in their free time is not necessarily an indicator of their intelligence. Even if it was, there are plenty of brilliant people who can't spell, anyway.

PhoenixStarr
Gnome

Re: Is Holly a left-hander?

Post by PhoenixStarr » Fri 22nd Jun 2007

I'm a left-handed right-brained person myself.

I've got the book here. It says-
"Root curled Holly's fingers around the illegal acorn, thrusting her left hand deep into the shattered soil."
It also says-
"Only her left hand was visible, fingers a desperate blur."

That, coupled with her personality and the book cover has lead me to this conclusion-
I think she is a leftie, and she does seem more right-brained to me.
She could be right-handed, but it's very unlikely.
Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid...

The III Prodigy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Re: Is Holly a left-hander?

Post by The III Prodigy » Fri 22nd Jun 2007

We had to take this test in school once to see what type of learner we are and what side of brain we use more.

I use the left brain more I think. And if I remember correctly, it's the logical part. The right is the creative, intuitive side. And I got a kanaesthetic (sp?) learner thing instead of visual/audio perceptory learner (doing things to learn how they actually work).

I don't think it's true though, that lefties have to use right brains. Coz wouldn't that mean ambidextrous people use both sides? And this girl in my class uses both sides of her brain, but she's hardly ambidextrous *coughshe-can-hardly-writecough*