The Characters

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
hobboy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by hobboy » Mon 24th Apr 2006

I'm reading the first book again. And I'm wondering. What does Colfer mean by Holly's nose having a hook? Is it a nose-ring? Or her nose is hooked? Or she met Captain Hook and... forget it. But you get the point right? What does it mean? :unsure:
smaller signature = better

Angy
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by Angy » Mon 24th Apr 2006

i think it means that her nose is hooked.....but it could mean anything if u think about it for 2 long. :huh:

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Tue 25th Apr 2006

Well I guess no one really thinks that Holly has a nose-ring because all the official and fan art show her nose perfectly intact. ^_^

People would argue over her skin color and her hairstyle, though. The artists would interpret Colfer's descriptions in many different ways [a green Holly, a long-haired Holly, etc..]. I just wish a movie or the comic book would come out so we can see the characters the way Colfer wants us to see them. XD
I'm retired. No PMs, please. Visit this link to know where to get a hold of me.
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

xMetallicBooger
Gnome

Post by xMetallicBooger » Tue 13th Jun 2006

It means she has a Snape nose...-snicker-

Haha. Not really. Let's hope Holly's nose isn't gigantic and malformed.

It just means, that instead of pointing straight out or up slightly, it curves down a bit.

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Wed 14th Jun 2006

xMetallicBooger wrote: It just means, that instead of pointing straight out or up slightly, it curves down a bit.

A pity though, because I'd like her to have a pretty nose to match her cherubic lips.

So, do you think, if ever they'll get, say Keira Knightley to play her part--would they make her wear a prosthetic nose to give her that fairy "hook"? :blink:

<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>/EDIT: I double-posted. Now how dumb is that? Lesson learned: NEVER EVER hit the "ENTER" button TWICE.</span>
The Image and Image buttons are your friends. Image is your friend. This guide to using images on the Web is your friend. This video about posting on forums is your BFF! I'm feeling Image

xMetallicBooger
Gnome

Post by xMetallicBooger » Wed 14th Jun 2006

darvit wrote:
xMetallicBooger wrote: It just means, that instead of pointing straight out or up slightly, it curves down a bit.

A pity though, because I'd like her to have a pretty nose to match her cherubic lips.

So, do you think, if ever they'll get, say Keira Knightley to play her part--would they make her wear a prosthetic nose to give her that fairy "hook"? :blink:

<span style='font-size:6pt;line-height:100%'>/EDIT: I double-posted. Now how dumb is that? Lesson learned: NEVER EVER hit the "ENTER" button TWICE.</span>

Eh...I would hope not. I don't always agree with books, and I make up my own discription of a character. I think Holly should have a tiny little nose that curves up a bit. Yup. :wub:

But Holly is described as 'pretty' about a million times in the books, so whatever happens, I'm sure she'll have a cute little nose.

MichaelM
FG 5ever

Post by MichaelM » Wed 14th Jun 2006

I suppose everyone has a different view of the characters in their own heads :)

Colfer puts down his view, but if youre like me, you sort of adapt it as ya read it :) (Eg. I never once saw Holly as half the size of Artemis. That just didnt click XD )

Come the movies, I get the feeling she'll be an LOTR style of elf. Pointy ears etc. so people associate her with the elf image LOTR made :)

Metallic - Did you just compare Holly to Snape??? YIKES! :P Scary thoughts... XD

darvit
Council Member

Post by darvit » Wed 14th Jun 2006

MichaelM wrote: Come the movies, I get the feeling she'll be an LOTR style of elf. Pointy ears etc. so people associate her with the elf image LOTR made :)

Yeah, and they need to make her pretty if they want to woo in more fans. ^_^ Everybody loves a pretty elf. Look at Liv Tyler [Arwen] and Cate Blanchett [Galadriel]. Or even the male ones, Brett McKenzie [the famous elf extra named "Figwit" by fans].

xMetallicBooger
Gnome

MichaelM wrote: Metallic - Did you just compare Holly to Snape??? YIKES! :P Scary thoughts... XD

Yes, I did, but I was only joking...They both have hooked noses, but I'm sure Holly's nose is quite different than Snape's. Or I would hope.

She's been described as 'pretty', like I said, and Pretty and Snape don't really go together in the same sentence, unless it's a sentence explaining how the two don't fit together, such as this one. Haha.

xMetallicBooger
Gnome

darvit wrote:
MichaelM wrote: Come the movies, I get the feeling she'll be an LOTR style of elf. Pointy ears etc. so people associate her with the elf image LOTR made :)

Yeah, and they need to make her pretty if they want to woo in more fans. ^_^ Everybody loves a pretty elf. Look at Liv Tyler [Arwen] and Cate Blanchett [Galadriel]. Or even the male ones, Brett McKenzie [the famous elf extra named "Figwit" by fans].

Liv Tyler is not what I'd call pretty. I've got a few choice words of my own to describe her, but they probably aren't very forum-appropriate. Cate Blanchett is sort of pretty, I guess, but she's pretty in a middle-aged woman sort of pretty. Sure, Holly's probably older than both actresses combined, but that's because she's an elf, and if she aged in human years, she'd probably be like mid-twenties pretty.

You know, I think people in general consider fairies (elves and pixies, most probably) to be pretty, if you've ever seen any fairy art, which you more than likely have. It's always just female fairies, though. They all have perfect, slim figures and flawless skin, attractive faces, and beautiful hair. People also tend to favor them in skimpy outfits, if they aren't completely naked. Not to mention the gaudy butterfly wings and all... Science fiction fairies, Artemis Fowl fairies in particular, are probably rather different.

Still, certain characters should be pretty, and they better be, or I shall pull a Grub and file SO MANY complaints...You won't believe the complaints I shall file. OH, THE COMPLAINTS THERE SHALL BE!

Probably not just from me, either.

Yes, I appear to be rambling again...Er...-awkward silence-

-crickets chirp-

-eats cricket-

Mmmm, crunchy XD

Inky Duchess
Dwarf Miner

Re: The Characters

Post by Inky Duchess » Sun 8th Jul 2012

i know! i still don't understand that! maybe some Irish thing..
Burn every thing you love, then burn the ashes

The key to being an airhead is keeping an empty mind.

I'm a gangster, my name is Jabberwocky.
LE GASP!!! You no think I'm gangsta? I'll pop a soda cap up your ask! :)

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Re: The Characters

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 8th Jul 2012

It means her nose is not up turned, rather is curved down.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction