Time Tunnel

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 9th Nov 2006

When he says a count of two, he means that if you stand there and count "one, two..." . for each number time will move a minute backward.

So time moves:

An hour per second for a count of forty- in the space of what feels like forty seconds, forty hours pass

followed by a deceleration to thirty minutes per second for a count of eighteen- after that, it will feel like 18 seconds have passed, but 9 hours have passed

then a slight jump backward in time, one minute per second back for a count of two- it feels like two seconds have passed, but really -2 minutes have passed

Then it repeats.

So, right before time moves backward, it was moving forward at a rate of half an hour for every count of a second. If, after that, an object were to move two minutes back in time, it would not be moving 120 counts backward, but rather two minutes backward. In that case, the bullet would have arrived long after Holly was dead. Does that make sense?

Artemis_Fowl_Lover93
Troll

Post by Artemis_Fowl_Lover93 » Thu 9th Nov 2006

I understand this all. It is completely logical.

BUT...

Where did Artemis get the bullet from and the last time I remember Artemis doesn't know exactly how to aim and fire 100%. Physics don't help when time is against you.

meheheheheh...I made a joke :lol:
<div align=center><span style='color:hotpink'>I love Artemis Fowl and he is mine... *hiss*<br>Hidden Naruto fan...<br><br>MY COUSIN LOOKS KINDA LIKE WHAT ARTEMIS FOWL WOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN HE IS 18 OR 19!!!! AHHH!!!!<br><br>"Holly let me look at you". Holly did not look up from her wrist computer. "No time right now, Artemis." Artemis padded across to her, walking gingerly on thin crust. "Holly, let me look at you," he said, holding her soulders. Something in Artemis's voice made Holly stop what she was doing and pay attention. this was not a tone Artemis used often. It could almost classify as tenderness" - Holly and Artemis - Book 5<br><br>I'm not insane, I just have mental problems...</span> </div>

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

I've never held a weapon, but it doesn't seem very complicated- just point and pull the trigger, right? Also, I think it said something about Artemis practicing shooting with the technology he stole in book 1. I'm not positive, though.

He pried the neutrino from Holly's hand (sad image). That's where the bullet's from.

Gravitational Singularity
Dwarf Thief

Post by Gravitational Singularity » Thu 9th Nov 2006

MMK wrote: When he says a count of two, he means that if you stand there and count "one, two..." . for each number time will move a minute backward.

So time moves:

An hour per second for a count of forty- in the space of what feels like forty seconds, forty hours pass

followed by a deceleration to thirty minutes per second for a count of eighteen- after that, it will feel like 18 seconds have passed, but 9 hours have passed

then a slight jump backward in time, one minute per second back for a count of two- it feels like two seconds have passed, but really -2 minutes have passed

Then it repeats.

So, right before time moves backward, it was moving forward at a rate of half an hour for every count of a second. If, after that, an object were to move two minutes back in time, it would not be moving 120 counts backward, but rather two minutes backward. In that case, the bullet would have arrived long after Holly was dead. Does that make sense?

lol :lol: . I know how to count, I was just pointing out that it wasn't a specified amount of time.

Now I see what you meant. I should'v seen it before :wacko: . Guess Colfer might have made a mistake there.

btw: The bomb timer moves at correct speed according to real time, right? Why is that when non of the characters moves in actual time speed?
Just call me Grav
Northern Carina Nebula

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

You're right...

I think we just have to accept that Colfer did not plan this out perfectly... I suppose the average reader doesn't care. We're just detail oriented.

Either that, or he's too smart for us to understand...

Artemis_Fowl_Lover93
Troll

Post by Artemis_Fowl_Lover93 » Fri 10th Nov 2006

I understood everyword of what he said. I just can't explain it...

I've never held a weapon, but it doesn't seem very complicated- just point and pull the trigger, right? Also, I think it said something about Artemis practicing shooting with the technology he stole in book 1. I'm not positive, though.

He pried the neutrino from Holly's hand (sad image). That's where the bullet's from.

You have to follow through or you will completely miss target.
<div align=center><span style='color:hotpink'>I love Artemis Fowl and he is mine... *hiss*<br>Hidden Naruto fan...<br><br>MY COUSIN LOOKS KINDA LIKE WHAT ARTEMIS FOWL WOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN HE IS 18 OR 19!!!! AHHH!!!!<br><br>"Holly let me look at you". Holly did not look up from her wrist computer. "No time right now, Artemis." Artemis padded across to her, walking gingerly on thin crust. "Holly, let me look at you," he said, holding her soulders. Something in Artemis's voice made Holly stop what she was doing and pay attention. this was not a tone Artemis used often. It could almost classify as tenderness" - Holly and Artemis - Book 5<br><br>I'm not insane, I just have mental problems...</span> </div>

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Mon 13th Nov 2006

Artemis does know how to shoot- in The Arctic Incident he tells Holly and Root that he has been practicing with the stolen LEP technology. And I think people are underestimating Artemis's physical capabilities- he complains about it, but we have seen him preform various physical activities, and pretty well in my opinion.

So I don't think it's outrageous that he could hit Abbot.

Spartan
Goblin

Post by Spartan » Tue 14th Nov 2006

Yes, I agree that Artemis could hit abbot even though the time sequence shouldn't have brought him back to the time when Holly was struck.

Artemis is vary smart, not to be captian obvious or anything, i'm positive that in a life or death seniero with Holly's life in his hands he would pull through, and it did state they had been practicing with stolen LEP technology...

For that issue, its vary well written, but Either Colfer made a mistake or he figured it was take someone a while to look at it and take some deep thought to make since of it.

Either way...

I had to reread it beofore i was like "what?" but its really not something to dwell on.

Artemis_Fowl_Lover93
Troll

Post by Artemis_Fowl_Lover93 » Tue 14th Nov 2006

What was more surprising to me was when I sat down and did maths (without complaining) and figured out that Artemis and Holly would have had to stay in Hybras for 20 hours and 28 minutes for 3 years to pass.

In 1 minute (in Hybras) you have passed 2 days, 7hours and 8 minutes (if I remember correctly. I have it written down somewhere)

YAY *dances in circles*

dee_sequel
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by dee_sequel » Tue 14th Nov 2006

i skipped anything in the book having to do with math.
ATTENTION! for all Netherworlds readers, I am still updating on DA!
https://iesnoth.deviantart.com/gallery/

Dwarf Thief

Post by Gravitational Singularity » Tue 14th Nov 2006

Artemis_Fowl_Lover93 wrote: What was more surprising to me was when I sat down and did maths (without complaining) and figured out that Artemis and Holly would have had to stay in Hybras for 20 hours and 28 minutes for 3 years to pass.

In 1 minute (in Hybras) you have passed 2 days, 7hours and 8 minutes (if I remember correctly. I have it written down somewhere)

YAY *dances in circles*

Time went wild when they left Hybras. They could appear anywhere at any time. Luckely they had magic to help them navigate into the right place and time.
Just call me Grav
Northern Carina Nebula

Minerva_Paradizo
LEP Commander

Post by Minerva_Paradizo » Tue 14th Nov 2006

arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im confuzed way to completecated can people pleese but a dont read minerva_parazido warning on the top of confuzing stuff????????????

p.s sorry 4 spelling mistakes!

Dwarf Thief

Post by Gravitational Singularity » Tue 14th Nov 2006

Minerva_Paradizo wrote: arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh im confuzed way to completecated can people pleese but a dont read minerva_parazido warning on the top of confuzing stuff????????????

p.s sorry 4 spelling mistakes!

Try reading some of what Stephen Hawking have written. He's a hundred times better at explaining these things than us. :)
Just call me Grav
Northern Carina Nebula

Minerva_Paradizo
LEP Commander

Post by Minerva_Paradizo » Wed 15th Nov 2006

this post has noting to do with artemis but its about my secret plot to take over the world first the forum then the web then the universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s fanx grav i will when i have finished taking over the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!