The Lost Colony Discussion

Anything about the Artemis Fowl books.
Sofie
LEP Commander

Post by Sofie » Mon 16th Oct 2006

Really? Hm, maybe I shold watch Twilight Zone... It sound so... Perculiar...
ImageImageImage

EdgeMaster025
Mud-Man

Post by EdgeMaster025 » Tue 17th Oct 2006

I have read The Lost Colony (finished today, as a matter of fact) and I'm thoroughly mystified by the ending.
Twins? Did I miss something somewhere? Or is it in three years' time Artemis missed out on more than we know?
Can anyone explain?
"Now, Artemis, tell me, what is twenty-seven multiplied by eighteen point five?"<br>...<br>"Four hundred and ninety-nine point five, if you must know" (<i>Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony</i> page 14, between Domovoi Butler and Artemis Fowl II [respectively])

CaptainHollyShort
LEPretrieval Team Member

Post by CaptainHollyShort » Wed 18th Oct 2006

Ha Sophie! Its not my fault Eion Colfer didnt explain like I have to do on my essays!!!

Which reminds me....
History is written in the blood of its people.

What exactly is a French before its fried?

~Pendragon

If I had a sister, I'm sure she'd be inconsolable.

Hey, Mulch, if you listen really hard you can just about make out the sound of nobody giving a hoot.

~Artemis Fowl

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Thu 19th Oct 2006

I really liked the lost colony- the only thing that bothers me is the time travel was not exactly consistent. If you were in the same time twice, wouldn't your past self and your present self both exist concretely, in the same time? And If that whole exchange at the end between Artemis and Abbot at the end "never happened" then how did Abott get blasted?

My friends say I'm being stupid, or too smart, or both, but I figure someone here should understand my confusion.

As for the twins- my only reaction was to picture Artemis being forced to change diapers, and then laughing and laughing... :D

Sofie
LEP Commander

Post by Sofie » Fri 20th Oct 2006

CaptainHollyShort wrote: Ha Sophie! Its not my fault Eion Colfer didnt explain like I have to do on my essays!!!

...Okay, quit the PH... >.< I dislike that :P
ImageImageImage

NinjAngel
Troll

Post by NinjAngel » Sun 29th Oct 2006

MMK wrote: I really liked the lost colony- the only thing that bothers me is the time travel was not exactly consistent.? If you were in the same time twice, wouldn't your past self and your present self both exist concretely, in the same time?? And If that whole exchange at the end between Artemis and Abbot at the end "never happened" then how did Abott get blasted?

My friends say I'm being stupid, or too smart, or both, but I figure someone here should understand my confusion.

That's some interesting thinking. Maybe because Time doesn't exist on Hybras that something like the two selves meeting didn't happen, or it could have been because time was traveling to fast.

*Grabs Artemis Fowl & LC*

Yeah. Time was going by too fast for there to be a significant meeting.

So says Artemis:

"It's maintly forward. An hour per second for a count of forty, followed by a deceleration to thirty minutes per second for a count of eighteen, then a slight jump backward in time, one minute per second back for a count of two. Then it repeats."

So, in the space of a minute, time goes forward 48 hours and 58 minutes. That's not enough time for a significant encounter.

With the encounter of Artemis and Abbot, I don't think that it's that it never happened, per se, because Artemis ("of the future" you could say) still remembers it. Time doesn't exactly exist on Hybras. It was the travel through time that made everything weird. During the two seconds that time went back two minutes, Artemis fired the Neutrino so that even the blast was shifted back two minutes, and an "after image" (or "before image") of Abbot was shot. This caused the "current" Abbot to fall to the ground, because something in his past was changed. That doesn't mean the encounter never happened, just that it happened under different circumstances. Because of time not existing, it could be said that everything that happened, even with the time skips, happened in chronological order.

And, that's me finished.

Until the very end.

Picture copyright cat-cat on deviantART.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Mon 30th Oct 2006

Thanks for trying to answer my question, ninjangel.

I get what you're saying about the ghostly past selves- they just weren't in the sime time long enough to register fully. I'll accept that, though it seems to me that the images would be blurred in that case, not transparent. I also think that's a cool ideas because it means that it wasn't just the past selves they were seeing- it was the future selves too.

But I don't agree with you about abbot. The only reason Artemis remembers the encounter is because he used magic to keep it in his brain. Looking at it chronologically:

1)Abbot reaches back to stab Holly;he gets hit by a bullet
2)he is flung against the wall
3)Holly, who has never died is helped by Artemis to move n'zall
4)they join the magic circle, etc.

Nowhere in there is Artemis firing that bullet. Artemis could not have, because Abbot was knocked unconscious before threatening Holly, and therefore never threatened Artemis, and the exchange could not have happened. So, where did the bullet come from?

Also, I just realized: right before the jump backward, time was going forward at a half hour per second. So "two minutes ago" would really be an hour ago. Then the bullet, whipped back only two minutes in time, would be too late, wouldn't it?

Wow, that was a lot. I won't be offended if you don't reply or anything.
I just realized quite how obsessed I am.

NinjAngel
Troll

Post by NinjAngel » Fri 3rd Nov 2006

I finallu understand the second part. I just finnished re-reading the 5th book. I forgot about the memory wrapped in magic thing. So, yeah. It never happened. XD

Until the very end.

TroubleFan818
LEP Recruit

Post by TroubleFan818 » Sat 4th Nov 2006

I didn't get how if Artemis shot Abbot how come Holly never saw him and Abbot never got shot in the first place. O-well I thought it was a great book. I could just see Arty holding one of the twins by their hand and helping them walk. SO CUTE!! :wub:

But I think that because they are siblings to Artemis Fowl, they probably knew how to walk when they were 4 weeks old. ^_^
How old you think they are now? I am guessing about 2 years old. Mabey they might be 1.

One last question:
When Artemis came back, were did he meet Butler at? I was alittle confused. Didn't Foaly drop him off at his house? And why were his parents staying somewere else?

I do like the one hazel and one blue eye thing. but if i had 2 blue eyes and one was taken away for a hazel eye, I think I would be alittle mad. :D I also loved the idea of Artemis having magic. To bad it never lasted. (well kind of) ;)
Here we go Holly. Are you ready?"
"Artemis! I'm the field agent here," came the irritated reply. "Stay off my band unless you have somthing to contribute."
"I was just thinking---"
"I was just thinking that you should change your middle name to Contol Freak."Artemis glanced across at Butler, who was lying beside him and couldn't help overhearing the entire exchange.
"Control Freak? Can you believe that?"
"The nerve of some people," replied the bodygaurd without taking his eyes off the chateau.

NinjAngel
Troll

Post by NinjAngel » Sat 4th Nov 2006

Hey, Artemis could still have the magic. He could perform the Ritual. XD (Oh God...I would love it if that would happen. <3 :wub: Artemis with magic is just too hard to resist. So much so, that I dream about him at night.... :wub:

I think the twins will be around 1.5-2 years old. The parents probably waited about a year or so before deciding that they might need a new heir...if you know what I mean. XD

Until the very end.

Minerva Scriptor
Dwarf Miner

Post by Minerva Scriptor » Sat 4th Nov 2006

I loved that book! If Artemis really does have magic still, it is quite possible that he could perform the ritual and become a sort of half-fairy. He does have Holly's eye now, after all. Imagine that. Artemis Fowl with magic. No bank or undiscovered species that lives underground would be safe! (sighs)
The World is Quiet Here

NinjAngel
Troll

Post by NinjAngel » Sat 4th Nov 2006

Not only that, but he can speak Gnommish, too. ^^

Speaking of which, there was a line in the fifth book that said something along the lines of:

"Luckily, Artemis was one of two humans who could speak the fairy language."

If Artemis is one, who is the other? Who is the other human who can speak Gnommish?

Until the very end.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 5th Nov 2006

I'm wondering if Angeline wasn't in the first stages of pregnancy before Artemis left. They were away somewhere. I hope so, because the older they are, the more they can do, and be involved...

And Artemis definitely does have magic- he healed himself in front of Butler. He just lied to Holly when he said he didn't. I suppose so the People wouldn't do anything to him, because they definitely wouldn't be happy.

NinjAngel
Troll

Post by NinjAngel » Sun 5th Nov 2006

Eh...I really don't know if I want the twins to be TOO involved. I would just rather they just sat there and looked cute. XD

I still can't get over the fact that Artemis has MAGIC!!! OMGEEE!!!!!! :wub: :P

Until the very end.

MMK
Orion's Misfortune

Post by MMK » Sun 5th Nov 2006

About involvement-

I just want Artemis to have the emotional dilemma of being a role model. It's not really an issue if they're infants and can't understand what he does.

And it's cuter when they're just barely talking. :D