Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Anything about the Fowl books.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Post by Battery » Thu 8th Oct 2020

Heyyy I'm caught up for 2 more days!! :D Sorry it took me so long, for the sake of sparing everyone a wall of text I'm going to just pick and choose my favorite points from the first few weeks' worth of my notes rather than posting everything.

So, Prologue through Chapter 3:
  • So, Root was the youngest full commander in LEP history. I wonder how much his experience with that informs how he deals with Holly. There must have been plenty of detractors for him too, when he got the position.
  • Artemis in disguise as a normal teenager is such a good metaphor for the situation with the mindwipe.
  • "If the computer says Boohn, that's who it was." Just like "DNA never lies."
  • Holly is used to predicting Artemis, so she correctly expects something is up with Koboi's plan. But Koboi =/= Artemis, so she can't place what.
Now, Chapter 4:
  • Folks with non-US editions, does Angeline ask Arty to call her "mom" or "mum?"
  • Of course he's ambidextrous
  • So what twelve countries do we think Butler keeps his stashes in?
  • Artemis and Butler apparently appear on Holly's "people to live for" list. Juliet, Mulch, and Foaly evidently do not.
  • This is the first book so far where it's felt like Artemis is the supporting character in Holly's plot rather than vice versa. It's very cool to read things the other way around!
AFrules12 wrote:
Mon 5th Oct 2020
"Sky and earth seemed to stretch and drip like oil paint on a canvas" I really like how this ties into the painting that they've just stolen, it's a really nice choice of words.
Very true!!
artymon I\/ wrote:
Mon 5th Oct 2020
Not that it matters, but it’d be interesting to hear a play-by-play rendition of how Artemis thinks the rescue with his father went down.
True!! I didn't even think of that, there are a ton of blanks to fill in there
artymon I\/ wrote:Holly says comms are down, but she can essentially Google and hack hotels? Seems strange. Why not send Foaly a message over the fairy-equivalent of Facebook? Oh god. I can totally see Foaly just legit having a FB.
That does seem inconsistent! And I can 100% imagine Foaly having a Facebook too, I'm picturing him watching humans migrate from Friendster to MySpace to Facebook to Twitter just bemusedly making absurd profiles along the way
ImageImageImage

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Mon 12th Oct 2020

Battery wrote:
Thu 8th Oct 2020
Heyyy I'm caught up
I guess I can't stay behind then!
Respect to Arty and Affie for being so on top of things.

Chapter 3
- I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can't legally call them paranoid if they turn out to be right, but they are paranoid. Someone is giving tips to goblins and they immediately check if Opal is still secure despite the four-times-a-day DNA checks? I mean, even knowing that it turns out to be her, I consider it overkill. Foaly is both overconfident and underconfident in his own skills. And very familiar with Opal's style.
- Holly's intuition is buzzing like a swarm of bees? Interesting. In the past books Eoin usually used analogies like that for Butlet's soldier sense.
- Would you look at that, Holly's soldier sense is buzzing too a few pages later! They are so alike. No wonder they get along.
- Root immediately decides Holly should do surveillance on Artemis for a few days once they've caught the convict. I doubt he really suspects Artemis is involved, this sounds like an excuse to give Holly a few days above the surface since he knows she's getting promoted.
- I'm really glad he tells her he's proud of her. You know, considering the thing.
- Foaly just really wants to show off his new suits.
- I remember just not believing he was really dead when I read this the first time as a kid. I think I actually went a few pages back to read it again, figuring I'd read something wrong.
Battery wrote:
Thu 8th Oct 2020
"If the computer says Boohn, that's who it was." Just like "DNA never lies."
Exactly. Both very paranoid and overconfident at the same time.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
Seriously, this argument for accepting the promotion makes zero sense. I’d rather have a competent officer with boots on the ground then propped up in a cushy office while incompetents like Grub run amok.
No, I agree with Root. You need someone competent calling the shots when things go really wrong. And someone competent making the shift roster so Grub doesn't run amok.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
Mmm. Fancy suits. It’d be a shame if they got blown up or put through a wringer of an adventure.
Haha!
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
Opal especially I wouldn’t have thought of as having put a great dependence on her plan to relying on the goodness of Holly and Root willing to rescue Scalene. People like Opal, villains and knaves….I wouldn’t think it’s in her nature to emphasize, or to believe in the good nature of people.
Note I am contractually obligated to say “wouldn’t” as obviously she did.
I think Opal considers what you call 'good nature' as weakness. Something that Artemis coincidentally shares with her, now that I think about it. He has a conscience, but actively dislikes having it. And Opal considers them inferior to herself and therefore most certainly believes they'll give in to their 'weakness'.
That being said, I agree Holly should just have written Opal in the air or signed it. All the rest I can concede to chalking it up to Opal's brilliance.

Chapter 4
I had no real notes of my own, except the agreement that Butler would approve.
Battery wrote:
Thu 8th Oct 2020
This is the first book so far where it's felt like Artemis is the supporting character in Holly's plot rather than vice versa. It's very cool to read things the other way around!
You've given an explanation as to why I liked this part of the book so much as a kid. I wasn't able to put it into words until I read this comment.

Chapter 5
- Touching upon the fairies paranoia once again, Foaly is far too powerful. Being the only one who can operate the system? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. And I'm not even talking about the scenario where he's corrupt, what if he gets a heart-attack and dies? Does the entire LEP just go down, tech-wise? How do the People who do DNA swaps four times a day and who have the sense to have a backup generator for electricity not have a backup centaur?
- Even if you believe Holly is corrupt, it's good sense to follow the trail to whoever else is involved. You can't just dismiss the trail because she died. This is why we need competent mayors and not just competent people on the ground.
- Oh, gloating is so working against Opal. She loves theatre too much. An amusement park? I love the aesthetic, but still.. You can't fault our protagonists for caring with such a glaring weakness of your own.
- I forgot Artemis believed Holly so easily. I just remember she found it very difficult to work with him without his memories, I now realize that was because he believed her story, but not how friendship works.
- What does Artemis even need the gold for? In the first book he had a good reason.

Chapter 6
- I'm too lazy to check the science, but Mulch's method of escaping seems very far-fetched to me.
- Butler has time for a joke about Mulch's hygiene despite the stressful circumstances.
- Butler remembers! Watch out, Opal!
Image Image

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 13th Oct 2020

Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
Respect to Arty and Affie for being so on top of things.
100%! Way to go actually keeping up, you guys
Iris wrote:- Holly's intuition is buzzing like a swarm of bees? Interesting. In the past books Eoin usually used analogies like that for Butlet's soldier sense.
- Would you look at that, Holly's soldier sense is buzzing too a few pages later! They are so alike. No wonder they get along.
That's such a sharp observation! I wonder how much of that is them having rubbed off on one another, and how much is just similarity that was already there
Iris wrote:- Root immediately decides Holly should do surveillance on Artemis for a few days once they've caught the convict. I doubt he really suspects Artemis is involved, this sounds like an excuse to give Holly a few days above the surface since he knows she's getting promoted.
Aww :( You're so right

My notes for chapter 5:
  • Aww :( Two chapters ago, Foaly was acting so sure that all of his inventions were reliable and foolproof, to the point of getting irritated that anyone would suggest otherwise. Now with Holly's helmet showing her vitals flatlining, he wants to badly to believe the tech malfunctioned
  • Artemis only trusts himself, calling back a bit to his lack of respect for anyone else in TAI
  • Butler's excuse about managing to grab the mattress on the way down, lol
  • Oh man, I've been looking forward to the Eleven Wonders sequence since we started all this
  • Poor Holly really is having the worst time :(
And chapter 6:
  • Mulch Diggums, jotting down the same "hisself" notes as artymon
  • Mulch acknowledging to himself so matter-of-factly that Holly is his friend! The growth!
  • Wait!!! This is the context for "don't you point that thing at me, I've seen the damage it can do" from Call Me Artemis Fowl?!!
  • Butler and Mulch both dismissing out of hand the possibility of Holly having murdered Root is making me smile so much
Iris wrote:- Touching upon the fairies paranoia once again, Foaly is far too powerful. Being the only one who can operate the system? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. And I'm not even talking about the scenario where he's corrupt, what if he gets a heart-attack and dies? Does the entire LEP just go down, tech-wise? How do the People who do DNA swaps four times a day and who have the sense to have a backup generator for electricity not have a backup centaur?
Wow, yeah, that is kind of a glaring hole in their operations, isn't it? In a different situation, I can imagine them having to show up at Artemis's doorstep and ask him for help as he gets just the most smug look on his face.
Iris wrote:- What does Artemis even need the gold for? In the first book he had a good reason.
Good point. Maybe that's why it's so easy to make him feel bad about it, he doesn't really have a good reason besides feeling like it's just something he has to ask for
ImageImageImage

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Wed 14th Oct 2020

Hello hello all! A terrific Tuesday to all!

Apparently I needed another day for them, heh. Actually, turns out I didn't, but I'll do my best to give my notes a brief edit check.

A Whimsical Wednesday to only those that read this! :D

Chapter 5: Meet the Neighbors
  • “If you don’t have the stomach for it, centaur. I’ll do it myself.” Thanos confirmed.
  • Red eyed creatures in Artemis’s dream? Do I sense a premonition?
  • As much as I love this entire scene with Butler and the hotel staff, they so would not just run off and leave him alone. That'd be even worse for them than testifying against the hotel. But I'll be damned if the image of the not-normally-polite chef hopping over debris doesn't make me snicker ridiculously.
    Is this another example of reputation over personal safety? Is that the theme of this book?
  • Rather curious that Butler gave zero thought/consideration to alerting Artemis Senior or Angeline of their son’s disappearance. It implies he is more loyal to Artemis Junior above all. Which makes sense, we’ve seen Butler describe Artemis as the son or brother he never had, heck, even in the first book….no in book 6, I vaguely recall a mention that Butler wasn’t even being paid due to the status of family funds at the time of Artemis Senior's disappearance. Butler’s loyalty cannot be bought. Or sold.
  • Always found it so amusingly businesslike of Artemis buttoning his jacket over the torn and bloody shirt. I can easily picture him straightening up and adjusting his tie as well. Yet another example of maintaining appearances.
  • Another what if, what if Opal went to track Artemis down to plot revenge and on learning of his mind wipe status and seeing his turn to darkness decided to offer to cut him in on her revenge scheme. Currently, his loyalty is for sale. Opal could stroll in and offer gold and Artemis would happily assist her Future /\rty here, yeah, she could offer him gold and bribe…but as she herself says, she doesn’t want competition. Especially after the fiasco with Cudgeon. She's a strong, independent woman that doesn't need no man to win her battles!
  • Artemis also gives zero consideration to alerting his mother and father. Now yes, we could go with the "he’s not an ordinary kid/teenager" bit…or perhaps no one wants to interrupt the Fowls’ spa day.

Chapter 6: Troll Nasty
  • Mulch! :D
  • Don’t even bother, Fishboy, there's no way you can recover from them burns.
  • Hisself. WHHHHY. Thank you, Mulch :lol:
  • I know I keep saying such things, but it’d be interesting to see an “unmolested” plotline of a) Mulch & Root’s interview (because you know that'd be a hysterical riot) and b) Mulch returning the “medallion” to Artemis.
  • Again, what did Artemis do with the real medallion? This is just a separate disk, isn’t it?
  • Licking and grooming? How cat like xD
  • Curious, just one pilot? What if he had a heartattack or revealed to have ill intent or something?
  • “I’ve been dead before.” Badass line is badass. Take note, Trubs.
  • “They never had a prayer: Mulch was gas powered, they merely had wings and fins.” :lol: :lol:
  • Again, consistency with having a Phonetix mention is cool.
  • “Butler had been with Artemis since the day of his birth, just over fourteen years ago, and in that time he had had been dragged into more fantastic situations than the average presidential bodyguard.” And these are his thoughts “pre”-Fairy. Instantly makes me think back to book 1 where Butler is grumbling how it takes four people to guard a low level politician but he was expected to handle all the chaos going on :lol:
  • A thought occurred, that doctored message Artemis sent to Guiney, he’d’ve gotten it by now. I know “Angeline” said not to call her…buuuut I can’t see the school respecting that. They’d totally call her anyway. Unless they got the “spa day” memo as well. Let’s say Guiney calls and alerts Angeline and she in turn tries to call Artemis, what then? If he ignores, she’d try Fowl Manor, as that’s apparently The Plan in nonstandard circumstances of danger. And then she’d get the fairy message. Variables to consider. If we didn’t already know how it ends.
  • “You cannot be serious.” Translation: “I’m not getting paid enough for this.” xD
  • I like the distinction between “a casual burglar” and “a professional thief”
  • Man, Butler has zero regard for proper parking procedures. The phone store, the airport, Fowl Manor...may I see your license and registration, sir?
  • A trail of food. Even kidnappers have to eat, Butler.
  • This is the second time Butler has gotten the drop on Mulch. Not an easy task from my understanding.
  • “It’s about to get worse.” Are you taking notes, Trouble?
  • How does that saying go? All roads lead to Rome? Here, it’d be all roads lead to Fowl Manor.
“Hold on a minute,” said Butler. “I need to get a tissue to wipe my eyes.”
“You don’t believe any of this, do you?”
“Do I believe in fairy police and pixie conspiracies and tunneling dwarfs? No, I don’t.”
I love that even though it doesn’t say it, I can picture Butler starting to get up in mock of getting a tissue (but probably going to check cams or something) and pausing mid-pose to reply. Maybe that actually is in the book and my copy is missing it, or maybe the writing style of a book/author and their characters is superior to the point where you can anticipate thoughts and actions of said characters.
  • You reckon Artemis is aware Butler knows his password? How would he feel about that? Or perhaps Artemis uses a “common” password and a “personal/private” password? That’s sort of how I operate with my work/personal accounts.
  • Actually, this password thing speaks on a few different levels. This disk was created by “post” fairy Artemis of the Past in anticipation of being received by “pre” fairy Artemis of the Future/Present. (If that makes sense at all.) Did Past Artemis expect to turn back to being selfish and greedy, inherently loyal to the family motto? Or has and will Aurum est postestas forever be his password?
  • Sorry. I fixate on strange things.
  • Quick Time player. Omg, I remember those.
  • “Below the surface are several species of fairy. Most are possibly primates, but I have not had the opportunity to conduct medical examinations as of yet.” This gives us two implications: Either Artemis planned to/contemplated dissecting a fairy…or a different sort of examination.
    But that’s drifting into territory best left for others to infer.
  • Only two other people known Butler’s name. Juliet and Madame Ko? Maybe not even her. Maybe that’s why she was not wowed by Artemis's call in TEC. More to the point, if it is only Madame Ko and Juliet who know Butler's name: Does this imply/verify Butler's parents are deceased?
  • Only one word was needed for Butler. I’ll attempt to write a note to come back to this later on.
  • Of course the LEP wouldn’t mention Mulch. Can’t tarnish that image now, can we?
  • The Importance of Appearances and Reputation is Superior Above All Else and Outweighs Personal Safety is officially the theme for this book. Just need a better working title on that.
  • “Illegal is always faster.”
Sorry, this chapter has been extremely quotable for me :D

~~

Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
- Holly's intuition is buzzing like a swarm of bees? Interesting. In the past books Eoin usually used analogies like that for Butlet's soldier sense.
Good catch! I feel like I've subconsciously registered the soldier's sense bee buzz...admittedly in my head I literally end up picturing the Spider-Sense lightning bolts.

Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
- I remember just not believing he was really dead when I read this the first time as a kid. I think I actually went a few pages back to read it again, figuring I'd read something wrong.
Same, actually :/
I kept hoping somehow it'd be wrong, maybe he was only severely hurt or there'd been a last minute escape and come in at the last second to clear Holly. Heck, I'd even take a convenient time travel plot.
Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
Chapter 5
- Touching upon the fairies paranoia once again, Foaly is far too powerful. Being the only one who can operate the system? That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. And I'm not even talking about the scenario where he's corrupt, what if he gets a heart-attack and dies? Does the entire LEP just go down, tech-wise? How do the People who do DNA swaps four times a day and who have the sense to have a backup generator for electricity not have a backup centaur?
A backup centaur. I'm dying over here :lol: :lol:
But yeah, seriously, you'd think they'd have revamped their security measures after TAI where they were actively gunning for Foaly. And Opal ends up being responsible? Too much power in too few hands.

Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
Seriously, this argument for accepting the promotion makes zero sense. I’d rather have a competent officer with boots on the ground then propped up in a cushy office while incompetents like Grub run amok.
No, I agree with Root. You need someone competent calling the shots when things go really wrong. And someone competent making the shift roster so Grub doesn't run amok.

- Even if you believe Holly is corrupt, it's good sense to follow the trail to whoever else is involved. You can't just dismiss the trail because she died. This is why we need competent mayors and not just competent people on the ground.
I stand corrected. Good catch and good on Eoin for sneaking that in there.

Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
- What does Artemis even need the gold for? In the first book he had a good reason.
It's gold. Aurum est potestas.

Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
Chapter 6
- I'm too lazy to check the science, but Mulch's method of escaping seems very far-fetched to me.
It's dwarf magic. Totally legit. :D
Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
- Butler remembers! Watch out, Opal!
:twisted:
Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020
Aww :( Two chapters ago, Foaly was acting so sure that all of his inventions were reliable and foolproof, to the point of getting irritated that anyone would suggest otherwise. Now with Holly's helmet showing her vitals flatlining, he wants to badly to believe the tech malfunctioned
Poor Foaly....
Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020
Artemis only trusts himself, calling back a bit to his lack of respect for anyone else in TAI
Well dang, now that you mention it...true!
Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020
Butler's excuse about managing to grab the mattress on the way down, lol
Can we start a pool to get Amy to make an animated gif of this? Butler falling and "managing to grab a mattress" :lol: :lol:

Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020
Mulch Diggums, jotting down the same "hisself" notes as artymon
:lol:

I 1000% blame Mulch for it
Say what you will, he's a pedantic thief.
Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020
Butler and Mulch both dismissing out of hand the possibility of Holly having murdered Root is making me smile so much
That's honestly so heartwarming! Right up there with that Lupin meme from PoA. "Hm, this map my friends and I designed in our teens says my buddy who's been dead is alive...certainly no way my magic map could be wrong...guess I'll go see what's up with Peter!"
Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020

Wow, yeah, that is kind of a glaring hole in their operations, isn't it? In a different situation, I can imagine them having to show up at Artemis's doorstep and ask him for help as he gets just the most smug look on his face.
And a consulting bill in hand!

I'd read that ficlet, haha.
Foaly takes a vacation and immediately things go haywire.
Battery wrote:
Tue 13th Oct 2020
Iris wrote:
Mon 12th Oct 2020
Good point. Maybe that's why it's so easy to make him feel bad about it, he doesn't really have a good reason besides feeling like it's just something he has to ask for

It's gold. It's shiiiiny.

In all seriousness, I suppose the gold is a symbolic way of saying that this Artemis is more or less the same Artemis as the one who abducted her. Morally anyhow.

What will Artemis actually do with the gold? Nada, hold onto it, let it become even more valuable. Him asking is purely a matter of principle. An automatic slight/insult against his Conscious.
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch