Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Anything about the Fowl books.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Post by Battery » Sat 29th Aug 2020

Heya!! It's Saturday, I'm late with one chapter but on time with the other, hopefully that balances out? :lol: How's everybody hanging in there schedule-wise? Can't believe we're already on the last chunk!

These two chapters were juicy ones! :D

Chapter 9
  • I don't think you could pay me to take a shower in a place like that.
  • Interesting, Artemis is worried about his father judging him not because he's worried about disappointing him, but because he's worried about losing his autonomy if his father doesn't approve. At least, that's how he frames it
  • It's so strange looking back on my old ship from a new perspective. I can pick out all the moments that drew me to it, but it comes from such a different angle now that I'm an adult looking at Arty as a kid as opposed to a kid Arty's age.
  • I'm wondering... artymon brought something up a couple of chapters ago, about how it would have been simpler do just do x thing instead of pulling this whole complicated heist. And I wonder how much of that might, subconsciously, be intentional on Arty's part. He thinks this is his last big criminal endeavor - maybe he wants to make sure it's spectacular. Artemis easily pegs Foaly as someone unable to resist a challenge, maybe that's coming from his own experience.
  • Interesting that out of all of them, Holly is the one least worried about leaving a trace. She seems concerned about Artemis, first and foremost. What a 180.
Chapter 10
  • Each of them knew exactly what the other would do. It's so much fun seeing the beginnings of these two becoming such a good team
  • Artemis gave such specific instructions, but left so much up to Holly - and she did exactly what he would have suggested, and knew it, nonetheless. I love them
  • Foaly inventing the deepfake in 2003
  • Interesting that Holly is so surprised to see Artemis looking guilty, seeing as holding her prisoner was the first big thing he really felt guilty about. I wonder if she knows that, or believes it if she does.
  • I wonder if the sleeper deeper could be used to counter Artemis's time stop loophole
  • Is there a reason they can't just haul the whole Spiro down and hold up his thumb?
  • You know, Avatar: The Last Airbender is famous for using hairstyles as a symbol of character development. I guess for Artemis it's severed fingers.
  • I legitimately feel bad for Chips
  • A weight sensor. You should have brought the whole man.
  • Why did Artemis not tell Holly he knew it was a fake Spiro? Seems like they could have proceeded with the plan the same way
  • "Okay, Google Cube--"
  • Smiling so hard at the iconic "Artemis the hunter" speech
  • My first foray into online fandom was posting a fairly lengthy fic in which Spiro made good on his promise to never give up coming after Artemis. It's fun reading the moment that was born :)
  • "In case he weakened later on" is such interesting wording. Does he see "weakening" as taking everything for himself, or giving away the 10% finder's fee as well? I'd imagine the former, but I love that it's unclear. Maybe he doesn't even really know.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
My copy keeps saying “van” ….and I think that is the term used in my OG Yankee copy…but this vehicle sounds more like an RV or similar small-scale motorhome.
It is "van" in the US copy, and you're right! Anybody from not-the-US have some insight on that? What does the word "van" bring to mind for y'all, maybe it's slightly different? I feel like we're all learning a lot reading this book :lol:
artymon I\/ wrote:Eh, don't worry, Holly. If you mess it up, then maybe we could give (fake!)Spiro a hook for a hand. Pex would dig it :lol:
I know that's not actually the way it worked out, but I feel like hook-handed Jon Spiro would make such a good future Fowl Twins villain.
artymon I\/ wrote:If Cudgeon were still around and caught wind of this, he’d bio-bomb the block and bat nary an eye.
I laughed, because you're absolutely right XD
artymon I\/ wrote:All of a sudden, I’m having this plot twist notion: Knowing the mind wipes are imminent, Artemis decides to throw his lot in with Spiro or runs off with the Cube, a fresh start on his life on the horizon.
Iiiii want to read this fic
artymon I\/ wrote:S u p e r s e c r e t l a b. WHY. Again, is the phone business really that competitive? My dudes, they’re all about the same phone that’ll die in six months, just in time to get the updated model.
:lol: Especially in 2003, right? All this fuss over the equivalent to a Nokia 1100
artymon I\/ wrote:It might have been a tad more fun to mess with us the reader that perhaps the Cube did go rogue and decide to help Spiro…but again, that prolly would have been too obvious a ploy for us to buy.
It would have been neat, you're right! Kind of reminds me of how we were led to believe (do we spoiler tag books we haven't re-read yet? Probably not necessary but I'll do it anyway just in case somebody doesn't remember XD TLC spoilers:) Artemis let Holly die in TLC

About Juliet... The way I see it, Juliet's arc in this book, like Artemis's, is about deciding what she wants and who she is in comparison to a family role model. They brought her on to be Butler 2.0, but that's not who or what she is, just like Arty isn't Artemis Sr 2.0. I think the mistakes or oversights she made during the heist were something she needed in order to figure that out. Just as much as Artemis needed to go through everything he's gone through in order to get to the point where he donates all Spiro's money instead of keeping it for himself. In the end, neither of them were cut out for the family business.
ImageImageImage

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Mon 31st Aug 2020

Alright, I'm a bit late, but I'm caught up again. I just read the whole last chunk of the book in one go and wrote notes for 9 and 10.

Chapter 9
- Honestly, considering the kind of people who'd show up for a job as a muscle, you'd think more would be able to smash a walnut.
- As a little girl I liked the humour of this scene. It's almost over-the-top, they're true clowns and not really realistic as characters. But I had to laugh as a child.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
One more bit before returning to the list –
This whole scene with Pex, Chips, and Mulch, it dances just a dram into being quite dark for a ‘children’s’ book. Not anything that’s said or done, but rather…the implications of it. At that, P&C come right out and put it to print.
And on that note, to me, as a kid, it didn't seem dark at all. You know they're not gonna kill Mulch, it's something you can be certain of. And the fact that Chips straight up feels bad about it? And fears getting nightmares because they've killed someone in such a gruesome way? It's not believable at all that he'd shoot someone.
- Forget Chips, Blunt too scares far too easily. Really? Looking nervous because someone mentions a ghost? No wonder Spiro is getting tired of being a businessman. Good staff is so hard to get.
- While Juliet briefly protests she should stay with her Principal, I think we all know that if it was up to Butler, he'd probably trust Holly more than Juliet with Artemis' life.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
About Juliet... The way I see it, Juliet's arc in this book, like Artemis's, is about deciding what she wants and who she is in comparison to a family role model. They brought her on to be Butler 2.0, but that's not who or what she is, just like Arty isn't Artemis Sr 2.0. I think the mistakes or oversights she made during the heist were something she needed in order to figure that out.
The other characters keep commenting that she doesn't have the 'heart' to be a bodyguard, because she's not detached enough. But as far as I can tell, she's pretty bad at the technical stuff. She can kick and punch and is atlethic, but not that much else. How does someone have the discipline to run up a mountain daily, catch fish and melt snow with their feet, but not to be quiet for a few minutes during a heist? Or to check for a camera first? None of her mistakes during the heist were the result of a lack of 'heart' in my opinion.

Chapter 10
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
And here it is at last, with Artemis using the chaos in lab as cover to fudge Mulch’s criminal record, I think we can safely say Plan “B” was Artemis’s true intention the entire time.
I had this exact same conclusion once I discovered the inconsistencies. The only reason it's called plan B is because he didn't want the others to know it was his plan A. Which is why he didn't tell Holly straight away Spiro was a fake, he knew all along and just checked behind the ears to confirm it.
Image Image

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Tue 1st Sep 2020

Hi!
Sorry, I missed last week, so here's chapter 9 and 10.

Chapter 9
  • Chips and Pex are actually pretty nice guys for gangmen.
  • I'm not sure I've expressed my love for Holly yet, honestly, she is one of my favourite characters of all time, I love how strong, funny, and clever she is.
  • Holly literally has healed Artemis' entire family.
  • I don't like how Juliet is constantly comparing herself to Butler, I wish she had more belief in her abilities. I do wonder if a lack of self-belief plays into the silly mistakes she makes sometimes. She seems like a confident character but I wonder if confidence is just a mask she uses.
  • I'm surprised the LEP don't appear to hire dwarves, they have so many tricks up their sleeves. Although maybe the dwarves just don't want to be hired, it might give them a bad reputation among their friends and family.
  • I really love the teamwork between Holly and Artemis.
Chapter 10
  • "Artemis ran a few mental calculations" I find it interesting how his brain is described like a computer
  • Chips has it right, Barney is better :lol:
  • Artemis really does love dramatic exits.
Iris wrote:
Mon 31st Aug 2020

Chapter 10
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
And here it is at last, with Artemis using the chaos in lab as cover to fudge Mulch’s criminal record, I think we can safely say Plan “B” was Artemis’s true intention the entire time.
I had this exact same conclusion once I discovered the inconsistencies. The only reason it's called plan B is because he didn't want the others to know it was his plan A. Which is why he didn't tell Holly straight away Spiro was a fake, he knew all along and just checked behind the ears to confirm it.
I completely agree with this, maybe he had a small hope that Plan A would work, but I think he was expecting to use Plan B the whole time.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020

[*]It's so strange looking back on my old ship from a new perspective. I can pick out all the moments that drew me to it, but it comes from such a different angle now that I'm an adult looking at Arty as a kid as opposed to a kid Arty's age.
Yes, I'm the same, I'm looking forward to reading TOD because I think that was when I started shipping them as a child, so it will be really interesting to see how it comes across now I'm older.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
My copy keeps saying “van” ….and I think that is the term used in my OG Yankee copy…but this vehicle sounds more like an RV or similar small-scale motorhome.
It is "van" in the US copy, and you're right! Anybody from not-the-US have some insight on that? What does the word "van" bring to mind for y'all, maybe it's slightly different? I feel like we're all learning a lot reading this book :lol:
I personally imagined the van to look a bit like this:

But my imagination doesn't tend to listen to details I read, like I often imagine characters completely different to how they are described, so it may be different to others. I can't remember how the van was described in the book XD
How did you guys imagine it?

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Fri 4th Sep 2020

So I'm going to do a naughty double post and post the last section a bit early as I'm going away over the weekend. (I don't think I've ever done a double post before, I feel like a rebel!)
I didn't have much to say about this anyway, but here are my thoughts:
  • Plane, parachute, and dwarf polish, seems like a very risky plan Mulch.
  • "Not to mention your mutual lack of morals" I love this line and I love Holly.
  • Holly trying to hide her emotions is so sad, but I do love how much this group of extremely different characters have grown to care for each other.
  • It is nice to see that Artemis has kept some of his new morals after the mind wipe, the last few years have still had some effect on him, even if he can't remember.
  • And he's back to plotting!
I really enjoyed this book and doing the read along, it's been great. I'm excited for The Opal Deception!

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 6th Sep 2020

And here we are, at the last part of The Eternity Code. Still feel so daft for not realizing it was intended as the final book!

Chapter 11: The Invisible Man
  • Can you imagine if Mulch did escape? That’d put a bit of a damper on the Plan for Artemis, wouldn’t it?
  • Eoin, I have never ever not once heard someone use the term “hisself” outside of AF. Where and how – who did this to you???
  • Spare teeth. I shouldn’t laugh because I’m sure there’s someone out there in a similar boat as Blunt's….the scene just reminds me of something I’d see Lex Luthor doing, stuffing spare toupees in a suitcase xD
  • How did this dude even make it into the airport? At this point, Blunt is a wanted criminal, a far cry from Public Enemy No. 1, to be sure, but this dude is wanted. I can’t see him feasibly obtaining a plane ticket, not in a post-9/11 environment. Unless he had a false identity he was using…but Eoin doesn’t mention this.
  • There is no way Sid would’ve just left Butler alone in the hall outside Blunt’s room like that. This is starting to look like an Epstein.
  • *sighs* Okay, Holly prolly mesmerized Sid.
  • Prolyl is a word.
  • “One of my” whats, Blunt? One of your what???
Chapter 12: Mind Wipe
  • Butler chewing out the pixie pilot.
  • I know I should have some tangent about Butler’s comment, the “fairies fixing it to live well over a hundred” but I got nuttin’.
  • Wall safe behind the air conditioner? Take note, Dexter.
  • Juliet (or Butler) could easily blow the whole memory scheme for Artemis right now and there’s nothing he’d be able to do nor would he even be able to remember to do anything. Guess they're both vury loyal and despite certain reservations, they trust him to act with honor.
  • D e w e r i n j e c t i o n.
  • Remember, you’re only as old you feel, Butler.
  • That grin is just too much, hah. An open admittance. "Yeah, I might have hidden some things. Think you can you find them all?"
  • Do you think Artemis practiced looking sincere in the mirror? Or tested this on Butler/Juliet? “And WHO ate the last cupcake?” “That would have been I. You have my deepest apologies.” “…what’s wrong with you face?” “What do you mean? I am being sincere. Honest.”
The technicians descended like flies on a carcass. In seconds every human in the room had electrodes attached to temples and wrists.
Love the ideas of this implication. Imagine his parents or some random caretaker just happens to walk in during all this and are instantly wired up for memory deletion.
  • “Way too early…actually, screw it. Delete it anyway.” Smart pony.
  • Why would you use your own email to hire the storage site? Or at least, why not hire more than one? A false account wouldn’t be that hard, certainly not for someone who’s hoodwinked the fairies for as long as Artemis has. (Though this was mostly Butler’s work I think.)
    For that matter, how do we know he didn’t hire more than one email thing?
  • How was Butler planning to find that time capsule anyway? And what would have urged him to decide to start digging it? Unless there’s a dark plot twist where Butler is a serial killer and has been burying people on Fowl Manor’s grounds for ages and that particular spot with the capsule would’ve been where the next body would go. How’d the LEP find it anyway? X-ray scan, metal detector, I suppose.
Sixteen months previously, Artemis had successfully deflected Holly's hypnotic gaze with mirrored sunglasses. It was the first time he had outwitted the fairies. It was not to be the last.
Spoiler much, Eoin? lolol
  • Can we take Artemis’s speech at face value? I don’t doubt his gratitude at having his family being restored to him. I do wonder if he’s really that concerned about reverting. What must be going on in this guy’s head. On one hoof, he has at least one link that we know of to have his memories restored. On the other hoof, if he can convince them to forfeit the wipe altogether, that’d be all the easier and solid. On another hoof, maybe Artemis subconsciously does want to revert, go back to bad old simpler times. The theme has been you have to make the choice between light and dark. Earlier, he had postulated his father removing the choice towards darkness. Here, the choice is being taken away from the light.
    On the last hoof, it’s food for thought at least.
Holly glanced guiltily at the screen. Root gestured at her to continue.
Daytime soap opera. :lol:
  • “See you in my dreams.” Naww, more J/L shipping material. I smell a ficlet.
'Make sure Foaly doesn't go crazy with that mind wiper,' said the bodyguard. 'I don't want to wake up with four decades of nothing in my head.'
Neither did Jason Bourne, but, y’know, accidents happen.
  • Now see, if Foaly had actually read that copy of Artemis's memories, he’d’ve known about the medallion. Slash his budget!
  • Getting locked up for a decade doesn’t sound too bad when you can live for a few hundred, or even a couple thousand years. Heck, that’s a drop in the bucket. A decade’s not too bad at all considering Mulch’s extensive record.
  • “Together we will be unstoppable! Muwahahaha!” Wait…no…erase the laughter.
Epilogue
  • Is it bad I sort of wish Pascal Hervé were a real person? I’d love to see this guy’s artwork.
I feel there’s any number of ways Artemis could have hidden his memories in the house, and not necessarily in the obvious ways of safes and hidden rooms, but just casual out in the open, maybe a random book in the library or a false DVD chalked with memory stimulants.
Even with a magnet, the LEP can’t hope to find all the needles in the haystack.

The subject of memory wipe is an interesting debate…not that there’s much to it. Knowledge is power, by taking that knowledge, they’re removing your power.
However, there could be genuinely “humane” applications of it, erasing a traumatic event or a bad decision *cough*a relationship*cough*. Or if you wanted to experience something again for the first time, like a movie or game or kayaking across the Atlantic Ocean.
Thoughts?

~~
AFrules12 wrote:
Tue 1st Sep 2020
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
I personally imagined the van to look a bit like this:

But my imagination doesn't tend to listen to details I read, like I often imagine characters completely different to how they are described, so it may be different to others. I can't remember how the van was described in the book XD
How did you guys imagine it?

Strangely enough, that's how I had pictured it back in the day. This time round, I caught minor details like Mulch coming out of the bathroom or there being carpeted flooring and the bit with Pex, Chips, and Juliet where she tells them there's seven other people riding about in the "van"

I agree with AA, we're learning so much! :lol:
I kinda love how we've unearthed all these little differences/discrepancies: The Red/Blue Cube; Girl Scouts/Guides, the van.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • I don't think you could pay me to take a shower in a place like that.
Right?! Guess at that point, he must feel he has bigger things to worry over than if Spiro is creeping him.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • I'm wondering... artymon brought something up a couple of chapters ago, about how it would have been simpler do just do x thing instead of pulling this whole complicated heist. And I wonder how much of that might, subconsciously, be intentional on Arty's part. He thinks this is his last big criminal endeavor - maybe he wants to make sure it's spectacular. Artemis easily pegs Foaly as someone unable to resist a challenge, maybe that's coming from his own experience.
Is it sad I had to go back and check which crazy theory/nitpick I was on about? Pretty sure you meant the one where Arno sticks his head in the Fowl Leer jet where Holly and Juliet could've just taken him down then and there as well as Spiro.

I offer a simple touche, AA. He likes a challenge. And, I guess, as we learn, he had other intentions with his plan.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • Interesting that out of all of them, Holly is the one least worried about leaving a trace. She seems concerned about Artemis, first and foremost. What a 180.
Can we appreciate the continuing irony of the formerly kidnapped helping her kidnapper escape his own abduction?
Once more, Dark!Holly could totally just turn her back on Artemis.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • I wonder if the sleeper deeper could be used to counter Artemis's time stop loophole
I had that same question!!! I imagine it could. Perhaps it would depend on the dosage of drug used to induce sleep. Headcanon they're deployed as an extra safetynet sort of thing.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • Is there a reason they can't just haul the whole Spiro down and hold up his thumb?
  • A weight sensor. You should have brought the whole man.
Lol.
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • My first foray into online fandom was posting a fairly lengthy fic in which Spiro made good on his promise to never give up coming after Artemis. It's fun reading the moment that was born :)
Link?
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
  • "In case he weakened later on" is such interesting wording. Does he see "weakening" as taking everything for himself, or giving away the 10% finder's fee as well? I'd imagine the former, but I love that it's unclear. Maybe he doesn't even really know.
My perception was in case he tried to steal the money back for himself. Man, you're right though. Very vague implications.

Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:Eh, don't worry, Holly. If you mess it up, then maybe we could give (fake!)Spiro a hook for a hand. Pex would dig it :lol:
I know that's not actually the way it worked out, but I feel like hook-handed Jon Spiro would make such a good future Fowl Twins villain.
I could so see that! Or at least a hook handed villain for Miles and Beckett. :lol:
Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:S u p e r s e c r e t l a b. WHY. Again, is the phone business really that competitive? My dudes, they’re all about the same phone that’ll die in six months, just in time to get the updated model.
:lol: Especially in 2003, right? All this fuss over the equivalent to a Nokia 1100
Nokia's are notoriously tough though...

Battery wrote:
Sat 29th Aug 2020
About Juliet... The way I see it, Juliet's arc in this book, like Artemis's, is about deciding what she wants and who she is in comparison to a family role model. They brought her on to be Butler 2.0, but that's not who or what she is, just like Arty isn't Artemis Sr 2.0. I think the mistakes or oversights she made during the heist were something she needed in order to figure that out. Just as much as Artemis needed to go through everything he's gone through in order to get to the point where he donates all Spiro's money instead of keeping it for himself. In the end, neither of them were cut out for the family business.
I kinda like that it doesn't work out like that, carbon copying into their role models. That Juliet grows into her own person/character. My favorite bit of inspiration is a Dean Koontz quote that says if you give your characters freedom, they'll surprise you in ways you never anticipated and raise themes you may or may not have meant to raise.
#characterdevelopment
Iris wrote:
Mon 31st Aug 2020
Chapter 9
- Honestly, considering the kind of people who'd show up for a job as a muscle, you'd think more would be able to smash a walnut.
Maybe they were being paid in peanuts as well.
Iris wrote:
Mon 31st Aug 2020
- As a little girl I liked the humour of this scene. It's almost over-the-top, they're true clowns and not really realistic as characters. But I had to laugh as a child.
The more I read with them, the more adorable they became in their own weird possibly co-dependent way.
Iris wrote:
Mon 31st Aug 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
One more bit before returning to the list –
This whole scene with Pex, Chips, and Mulch, it dances just a dram into being quite dark for a ‘children’s’ book. Not anything that’s said or done, but rather…the implications of it. At that, P&C come right out and put it to print.
And on that note, to me, as a kid, it didn't seem dark at all. You know they're not gonna kill Mulch, it's something you can be certain of. And the fact that Chips straight up feels bad about it? And fears getting nightmares because they've killed someone in such a gruesome way? It's not believable at all that he'd shoot someone.
Aye, it's not at all dark dark...but it has the potential. It's like the ingredients are all there on the table and you could mix them in the pot or add them onto the pizza, but instead you leave them off to the side, garnishing the entree.
Iris wrote:
Mon 31st Aug 2020
The other characters keep commenting that she doesn't have the 'heart' to be a bodyguard, because she's not detached enough. But as far as I can tell, she's pretty bad at the technical stuff. She can kick and punch and is atlethic, but not that much else. How does someone have the discipline to run up a mountain daily, catch fish and melt snow with their feet, but not to be quiet for a few minutes during a heist? Or to check for a camera first? None of her mistakes during the heist were the result of a lack of 'heart' in my opinion.
I'm sure there's a term, but I'd suspect it's a disassociation/separation thing. Sort of like how you may have a "public" persona and a "private" one. She can be quiet if her Sensei is telling her to, but once outside the Dojo, she's back to full steam.
The technical stuff, Idk. Again, I'd put it to how Butler absorbed all the "quiet place" mediation and Juliet didn't. It's there, and she'd know what to do with it, but she doesn't apply it.
*shrugs*

Iris wrote:
Mon 31st Aug 2020
Chapter 10
artymon I\/ wrote:
Wed 26th Aug 2020
[/quote]

Exactly. It's such a mindflip!
AFrules12 wrote:
Tue 1st Sep 2020
Chapter 9
  • Chips and Pex are actually pretty nice guys for gangmen.
Right? They're not all that bad. Spiro makes a comment about replacing them with a pair of shaved rottweilers gorillas and that's a perfect description for them: A pair of pups that are just doing what their master tells them.
AFrules12 wrote:
Tue 1st Sep 2020
  • I'm not sure I've expressed my love for Holly yet, honestly, she is one of my favourite characters of all time, I love how strong, funny, and clever she is.
The best <3
AFrules12 wrote:
Tue 1st Sep 2020
  • I'm surprised the LEP don't appear to hire dwarves, they have so many tricks up their sleeves. Although maybe the dwarves just don't want to be hired, it might give them a bad reputation among their friends and family.
Lol, I could see that as being a social stigma in dwarf circles. "You took a job with the police, Spade? Shame, shame! Your cousin's second mum's brother was arrested by the police for passing wind too loudly!"
That said, I do recall a dwarf in TTP is contracted by the LEP....
AFrules12 wrote:
Tue 1st Sep 2020
  • I really love the teamwork between Holly and Artemis.
Like peanut butter and jelly <3
AFrules12 wrote:
Tue 1st Sep 2020
  • Chips has it right, Barney is better :lol:
But...Captain Hook, he totally has an edge, he'd win easy-peasy against Barney! xD

AFrules12 wrote:
Fri 4th Sep 2020
  • Plane, parachute, and dwarf polish, seems like a very risky plan Mulch.
Sounds like something out of the DB Cooper case, hah.
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 6th Sep 2020

Hey y'all, we made it!! :D Again, it's been a legitimate joy to re-read these with you guys. <3
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 6th Sep 2020
How did this dude even make it into the airport? At this point, Blunt is a wanted criminal, a far cry from Public Enemy No. 1, to be sure, but this dude is wanted. I can’t see him feasibly obtaining a plane ticket, not in a post-9/11 environment. Unless he had a false identity he was using…but Eoin doesn’t mention this.
That's a solid point, lol, I didn't even think about that :lol: He was using Spiro's credit card too, so he wasn't exactly bothering not to leave a trail
artymon I\/ wrote:Do you think Artemis practiced looking sincere in the mirror? Or tested this on Butler/Juliet? “And WHO ate the last cupcake?” “That would have been I. You have my deepest apologies.” “…what’s wrong with you face?” “What do you mean? I am being sincere. Honest.”
That's sure an image XD
artymon I\/ wrote:Can we take Artemis’s speech at face value? I don’t doubt his gratitude at having his family being restored to him. I do wonder if he’s really that concerned about reverting. What must be going on in this guy’s head. On one hoof, he has at least one link that we know of to have his memories restored. On the other hoof, if he can convince them to forfeit the wipe altogether, that’d be all the easier and solid. On another hoof, maybe Artemis subconsciously does want to revert, go back to bad old simpler times. The theme has been you have to make the choice between light and dark. Earlier, he had postulated his father removing the choice towards darkness. Here, the choice is being taken away from the light.
On the last hoof, it’s food for thought at least.
👏👏👏 Oh mannn this is such a great parallel!! I have absolutely nothing to add, but those last two sentences made me go :o irl
artymon I\/ wrote:“See you in my dreams.” Naww, more J/L shipping material. I smell a ficlet.
XD I had the same thought honestly, so if you end up writing that I'm on board
artymon I\/ wrote:Now see, if Foaly had actually read that copy of Artemis's memories, he’d’ve known about the medallion. Slash his budget!
True!! I wonder if Artemis knew that was possible beforehand, or if he had a very quiet moment of panic hearing about it in the moment :lol:
artymon I\/ wrote:I feel there’s any number of ways Artemis could have hidden his memories in the house, and not necessarily in the obvious ways of safes and hidden rooms, but just casual out in the open, maybe a random book in the library or a false DVD chalked with memory stimulants.
True!! It's sort of surprising that he didn't just drop a billion possible memory triggers everywhere he possibly could, just in case
artymon I\/ wrote:The subject of memory wipe is an interesting debate…not that there’s much to it. Knowledge is power, by taking that knowledge, they’re removing your power.
However, there could be genuinely “humane” applications of it, erasing a traumatic event or a bad decision *cough*a relationship*cough*. Or if you wanted to experience something again for the first time, like a movie or game or kayaking across the Atlantic Ocean.
Thoughts?
That's a really interesting thought. It wouldn't be too surprising to find out that there were voluntary mind wipes or mind wipe abuse, that seems like the kind of thing that could even turn into a crutch if the technology is available enough. Once you wipe your worst memory you have a new worse memory, then you wipe that one and have a new worse memory, and if you just continue like that...

But it does seem like it would be useful for things like trauma, if the case warranted it
artymon I\/ wrote:Strangely enough, that's how I had pictured it back in the day. This time round, I caught minor details like Mulch coming out of the bathroom or there being carpeted flooring and the bit with Pex, Chips, and Juliet where she tells them there's seven other people riding about in the "van"

I agree with AA, we're learning so much! :lol:
I kinda love how we've unearthed all these little differences/discrepancies: The Red/Blue Cube; Girl Scouts/Guides, the van.
Same on both counts :lol: Thanks for the insight Affy! :D
artymon I\/ wrote:Can we appreciate the continuing irony of the formerly kidnapped helping her kidnapper escape his own abduction?
Ohhh I love that
AFrules12 wrote:
Fri 4th Sep 2020
[*]Holly trying to hide her emotions is so sad, but I do love how much this group of extremely different characters have grown to care for each other.
<3 They're a great crew, it'll be fun to see them working together more soon :D

My notes:

Chapter 11
  • Ah! Butler and Blunt was the other scene I remembered, I had begun to think I just fabricated that memory :lol:
  • I want to know what happened the other times Butler got that look in his eye
  • Did they get permission for Holly to be there? Offscreen, I guess
  • Ghost Butler is so melodramatic
Chapter 12
  • You just... put all that information... on the internet...
  • So, by the end of TLC, Artemis and Butler both have part of their fairy friends in their faces
    Imagining what would have happened if Artemis had planned his original kidnap again is hilarious. They would have known what to expect at every turn, he would have been crushed
  • Artemis is legitimately a little bit scared despite all the prep
  • The "almost anything" line is such an indication of growth all by itself
  • Holly wanted to check the Butlers. Artemis bothered to give the Butlers the same precautions he had. He anticipated her again.
  • Holly :(
  • Lucky Holly didn't grab the note when she showed Root the disk. Although I can't help wondering - if she had grabbed the note, what would she have done?
Epilogue, just one solitary note
  • Well gosh, at least he's not arrogant

-

So, what's everybody thinking in terms of straight into TOD tomorrow, or taking a week off?

I tried to wrangle TOD into another 8 week schedule... how does it look to everybody? :)

Week 1: Prologue, chapter 1, chapter 2: 51 pages
Week 2: chapter 3: 39 pages
Week 3: chapter 4: 28 pages
Week 4: chapter 5, chapter 6: 50 pages
Week 5: chapter 7: 59 pages
Week 6: chapter 8, chapter 9: 34 pages
Week 7: chapter 10: 62 pages
Week 8: chapter 11, epilogue: 19 pages

And of course, for everybody who read with us this time, here's a little badge you can use in your signature if you like ^_^ In the spirit of our different copies:

Code: Select all

[img]https://64.media.tumblr.com/6bb187d6a3e514fb341e04d435f562c7/93996ce8602de513-30/s75x75_c1/39f63f2b080dd63c2ca00b28b99f34396d887403.png[/img]
ImageImageImage

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Wed 9th Sep 2020

The timetable looks great! Starting next week seems to make sense, gives us a little break. Also I love the badge, it's brilliant!

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 12th Sep 2020

I love the badge :D

Can I get away with having failed to write about the epilogue? I took notes, but I feel like everything has been said already~
In hindsight, I can see that this was meant to be the final book. But Artemis just refused to accept that. And I'm glad, because I'm looking forward to book 4.
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 20th Sep 2020

^You may most definitely get away with it.

Hello again all!!! Hope everyone is doing fantastic. I am feeling extremely emotional right now. I sort of just binged the first three chapters. This week was only Pro, 1, and 2. So I'll leave you those for now. Be warned...it's me. You know what to expect by now. Hopefully.

Prologue

Gee, I’m not sure why, but I have the distinct notion the author of this site is definitely a centaur. Or a Sagittarius at the very least.

Chapter 1: Totally Obsessed
  • Argon prioritizes the clinic’s reputation over Haven’s safety
  • Remember, if you don’t know who the crazy uncle is in your family…then it’s probably you. :D
  • How much you guys want to bet at least two of those six words to his wife were “Opal” and “Koboi”?
  • Methodical, patient, determined. Interesting to see how those noble traits are soon twisted to nefarious ends.
  • *cocks eyebrow* I feel like we should be concerned Argon finds his “baby faced” employees cute.
  • Man, Haven/the Fairy world sounds utterly boring. Top stories of the past year are goblin riot trials and twins.
    Oh gods, is this going to be my ongoing rant of the book?
  • Prime example: Grub watching a human flick. In addition to all of Foaly's mentions of bootleg human films.
    Conclusion: We may be vile, climate cursing, environmental disaster creating scum in the People's eye....but at least we know how to entertain.
  • Oh Grub, you're a nit-picker after my own heart of granite. ❤
  • Hm…based off their description, it sounds like fairy clones don’t have souls. That they’re not “real” people. No thoughts or actions aside from basic existence. Like a big houseplant.
  • Gee. If you had put this much effort into Plan A, you might not have needed Plan B. Remind you all of anyone?
  • Opal's life is legit in Merv's hands. He could murder her, replace the clone and no one the wiser....actually, her soul...or whatever life essence passes for...would likely transfer to the clone and then she'd wake up and murder everyone.
  • (Um…Jerry? They're janitors, not nurses, why would they have sterile, cotton balls?)
  • Isolate the cause of the power failure? So let me get this straight, Merv and Scant are janitors, registered nurses (since it’s expected they’d have cotton balls for medical swabs), and facilities maintenance guys? Quite a resume for those two. Jack of all trades.

Rant on the Surgeon:

So I wrote this as I was reading, I went by my memory of what happens, so please excuse spoilers and if I’m wrong. I’ll attempt to go clean the rant up, but for sake of full disclosure, there ya go.

Now I know I’m coming up to this part later this chapter, so I might have to come back and edit this, but here goes...
It’s mentioned during the escape that Opal’s magic is drained, but not too long after this, like the next day it sounds like, literally the same night, she sends for a surgeon to install a pituitary gland (note: This surgeon seems to have been established/arranged prior to her downfall in TAI) …and Merv warns her this operation will cause her to lose her magic be irreversible.

The point I’m attempting to arrive to is something to the effect, so after installing this gland, she went and performed the Ritual to restore her magic? She was so hellbent she didn’t need magic, but a solid part of her scheme relied on using the mesmer and possibly other unseen abilities. I think sacrificing her magic was as symbolic as her desire to “tower” over the fairies; by casting it off, she was separating herself from her race and species, rejecting them…..which she does say as much, I suppose.
This seems like more of an emotional choice than an intelligent one. I bring this up partly because in book 6 her character has a 180 personality shift, that is preferring magic to science. Course, that plotline will make my head spin if I think of it too much. Back to our normal nitpicking!
(Also, where did Merv and Scant obtain a human pituitary gland? Clone grown? Forcefully extracted from a poor sap that’ll wake up in a bucket of ice?)

In retrospect of re-reading the part, I don’t think Opal or Merv were aware she would lose her powers. Perhaps it was cited as a low risk possible side effect? I stand by the emotional choice bit though.

There was a convoluted rant on Argon as well...but I don't think it's necessary. Eoin paints it well enough.

Chapter 2: The Fairy Thief

• Why is the fairy stealing the child anyway?
  • Did Herve actually know a little something something about fairies?
  • Artemis is concerned about the ability to run in his oversized trainers, whose overlarge size are literally part of The Plan. Like you were running anyway. Butler is right, must be nervous.
  • I appreciate the mention of Principal Guiney. It’s nice to have that consistency from TAI. Course…it’s strange we didn’t hear from him in TEC. Hm, funny, Opal was in TAI and not mentioned in TEC. Great Scott! Could Guiney and Opal be the same person?!
  • Butler is now officially a chaperone. Quite the step up from being exiled from school grounds for camping out in the gardener’s shed. :lol:
  • Nitpick Warning
  • For such a prestigious place, International Bank doesn’t sound very striking or intimidating one way or another. Sounds like a place I’d go to at the airport to do a currency exchange before hopping a plane back to the States. But hey, maybe that’s the idea. A nondescript bank that strives for minimal attention and discretion.
  • A six foot, ten inch Chinese male with a Spanish first name, a technically Korean spelled surname in a German bank with his German named son sporting pale features. Sure. Seems legit. Very diverse.
  • Bahaha, remember when phone companies were ultra greedy like that? Charging for literally every text message sent and for every minute elapsed during a call? Not that they’re much better nowadays. But at least Roxanne can text and call her folks back in France way easier. And Colin can command his pirate fleet infinitely easier.
  • There was a deleted comment. Not necessarily inappropriate, but most likely unappreciated.
  • I wonder when/why the Xavier Lee persona was created for Butler. Sounds like a pre-Artemis adventure. Was it for one of his sketch jobs? Did he suspect a speedy exit was needed and a passport to hide behind?
  • Please, Eoin, a prequel series for Butler adventures!
  • International Bank may not have a cool name, but they’re security is okay…but it needs more gel scanners and retinal scanners.
  • Awww, Bertholt’s phobia of the elevator. It’s okay dude.
  • “It’s a scooter…transportation that doesn’t pollute the air…” Hipster Artemis just before it was cool to be Hipster.
  • Not that it makes any difference as the keys are concealed in the braces, but setting off a walk through metal detector should prompt the guard to use a handheld “wand” to ensure that there’s no other metal bits on “Alfonse”
  • Also, flaw with the parchment paper shield thing: You’re telling me there’s only one camera in there?
  • Once the box door is open, wouldn’t “Colonel Lee” have been escorted to a separate inspection room? It’s been a while since I’ve had a safe deposit box…but it’s literally that. A box inside a sort of locker vault. You open the slot door, withdraw the entire box 100% out of the locker (if you will) and then take the box – which has its own lid that you could theoretically attach a small padlock to – into another examination room. No way they just leave him and his kid in the same room that has everyone else’s paraphernalia in it, locked or not.
  • Speaking of, it’s extremely foolish a cover story/alias for Artemis hadn’t already been in place. What if the guards needed his ID to register him as a guest or something? Hell, Egypt required a dead mummy to obtain a passport to legally leave the country. (Ramses II, if you wish to pursue that intriguing story.) So it wouldn’t be that out of line for this big, bad bank to check Alfonse is who he says he is.
  • Soooo….these master keys will open any safe deposit box in any bank where they’ve worked in? Sounds like an extremely big security risk and quite suss. If you get locked out, I believe the normal procedure is something to the effect of you have to literally drill the lock out…not call for a master key. That’s the whole point, there’s not supposed to be a magic key. Your box is supposed to be safe. I know, I know, it’s just a book. But this doesn’t hold up.
  • Lots of coordination going on here….you think they rehearsed this earlier?
  • Not to dwell on the key thing, it was mentioned they use a chip, as in they’re electronic locks. Wouldn’t Artemis unlocking another box set off an alert on Kurt’s monitor somewhere? Or at least be registered in a computer somewhere?
  • [/end nitpick]
  • I kinda like the Kurt/Alfonse aggressive antics. Kurt and Bert seem like alright guys.
I went a little hard on the bank scene. Perhaps I’m being nitpicky, as usual. Or perhaps we can arrive to a frightening conclusion: Foaly was right and Artemis’s intellect did take a hit after the mind wipe. It would explain the sloppy bank job. He even went in with a mentality to fail! “A forty percent chance of success”!
That’s not the same cold Irish boy who calculated every phase of a kidnapping from what suit to wear to how to smile in a gracious and malevolent manner.
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sun 20th Sep 2020

Hi!
I really do love this book and as I read it, I kept on being reminded of a holiday I went on when I was about 10, I think it was when I read this book for the first time and certain lines seemed to awaken memories in my head, so that was cool, and kind of strange.

Also, my book is 2nd hand from a charity shop and has an inscription to Louisa from her Grandma from 2006, so in the unlikely event she's on here, hi! I have your book!

Now onto the chapters. Tbh I didn't have all that much to say about them but here you are:
  • "Gifted centaur Foaly" - you're not subtle Foaly :lol:
  • Two minutes without power in a medical facility seems quite dangerous. But I guess they don't really care.
  • That sedative is extremely fast-acting. I wonder if elf skin is different to human skin.
  • These adults are really condescending, the way they're talking about teenagers when Arty is right there XD Though he knows he isn't a typical teenager, I guess it won't bother him.
  • I'm surprised the x-ray can differentiate between paper and canvas, I would have expected them to have a very similar radiopacity (sorry I'm nitpicking too XD)
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
  • How much you guys want to bet at least two of those six words to his wife were “Opal” and “Koboi”?
ahaha definitely! His poor wife.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Gee. If you had put this much effort into Plan A, you might not have needed Plan B. Remind you all of anyone?
:lol: They were made to scheme against each other!

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Fri 25th Sep 2020

artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
^You may most definitely get away with it.
Thank you.

Book four! :D I really loved this book! Sad as it may be, the situation Holly will be in the next chapters made for a very exciting read.
Of course I used to like all of these books, that's why I ended up here. But over time I forgot and now I remember it with every book we go through.

Onto notes~ I sorta mixed them with replying to your comments.
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Also, my book is 2nd hand from a charity shop and has an inscription to Louisa from her Grandma from 2006
That is so cool!
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Man, Haven/the Fairy world sounds utterly boring. Top stories of the past year are goblin riot trials and twins.
It must be because their security measures are kind of overkill. I mean, DNA swaps four times a day? That seems more over the top than the security team of six.
I know I'm not allowed to call it paranoid because it turns out they're right, but still... Fairies are super paranoid.
I wonder how many people escaped from top medical facilities by finding someone similar to them. I mean, it has to have happened before, right? Why else do they have all these security measures?
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Prime example: Grub watching a human flick. In addition to all of Foaly's mentions of bootleg human films.
Conclusion: We may be vile, climate cursing, environmental disaster creating scum in the People's eye....but at least we know how to entertain.
It's shockingly similar to how Europe looks at the States... We wouldn't want to live there because of the way the USA is, but we generally like American tv shows.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Gee. If you had put this much effort into Plan A, you might not have needed Plan B. Remind you all of anyone?
A very good comment.
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Two minutes without power in a medical facility seems quite dangerous. But I guess they don't really care.
Well, they did have a backup powersupply. It's just that they blew out at the same time. In that case I find two minutes still pretty fast.
And both going out at the same time is foul play, something you expect in a prison, not a medical facility.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
I wonder when/why the Xavier Lee persona was created for Butler. Sounds like a pre-Artemis adventure. Was it for one of his sketch jobs? Did he suspect a speedy exit was needed and a passport to hide behind?
I always kind of assumed most weren't for specific jobs, but just to be fully prepared for anything. I like your version better.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
I went a little hard on the bank scene. Perhaps I’m being nitpicky, as usual. Or perhaps we can arrive to a frightening conclusion: Foaly was right and Artemis’s intellect did take a hit after the mind wipe. It would explain the sloppy bank job. He even went in with a mentality to fail! “A forty percent chance of success”!
That’s not the same cold Irish boy who calculated every phase of a kidnapping from what suit to wear to how to smile in a gracious and malevolent manner.
40% is a lot lower than he'd normally find acceptable. Perhaps the mindwipe affected him or perhaps he's truly turning into a risk-taking teen. We shouldn't discount hormones, horrible as Artemis might find them.
And I agree it was odd that they were prepared for a check with the hand-held detector but didn't have a fake ID for Artemis. Very sloppy.

You'd think Kurt would catch on. No movement? It's like a kid that makes no noise. You know something is up.
Or they're on a phone or tablet, of course. That is the more common explanation these days. But this book was written a few years back.
Image Image

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sat 26th Sep 2020

Ok chapter 3 here we come. I honestly did not remember this at first so lets just say it was a bit of a shock.
  • Holly is the best.
  • I really think Grub should consider a career change, I think he'd be so much happier.
  • I thought Holly was aiming to be the first female commander so it seems kind of odd for her to have decided to reject the promotion. Though I might have misremembered that.
  • That sweet moment between Holly and Root, awh.
  • It's kind of funny how there's a tv film being made about Holly and Artemis in the book and now in our reality there is also a (kind of) tv film about Holly and Artemis.
  • I do wonder about the goblins. I don't remember much from the first 2 books, but have they ever been shown to directly harm the people in the books? What are they hoping to achieve with their rebellion? Is it just against the LEP or Haven as a whole? And honestly, the way the characters we love talk about them, I wouldn't blame them for rebelling if they are not being treated as equals. They were part of Opal's plot but presumably that would be classified information, I doubt the ordinary goblin knew that, they probably thought they were fighting for a better society for themselves and their families. Essentially, I want to know more about their motivations before I write them off as the bad guys.
  • wait, Root doesn't die in this scene right?
  • Holly vowing to seek revenge is so powerful.
  • Wait Root doesn't die right? I swear he is in later books, I really associate him with Vinyaya but I think I misremembered. But anyway please let me be right!
  • "Be well" :'(
  • Noooooooooooooooooo
  • I really hope he's not really dead, I don't remember him dying this early on, please let him not be dead but now that I think about it more I think he might really be dead :'(
  • This scene made me so emotional, I had tears in my eyes.
  • "Some things are beyond fixing" please don't let this be one of them.
Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Prime example: Grub watching a human flick. In addition to all of Foaly's mentions of bootleg human films.
It's shockingly similar to how Europe looks at the States... We wouldn't want to live there because of the way the USA is, but we generally like American tv shows.
That is honestly pretty true, I never thought about it like that.
Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Two minutes without power in a medical facility seems quite dangerous. But I guess they don't really care.
Well, they did have a backup powersupply. It's just that they blew out at the same time. In that case I find two minutes still pretty fast.
And both going out at the same time is foul play, something you expect in a prison, not a medical facility.
Ohhh, I didn't realise the backup was blown out as well, that makes more sense. Because 2 minutes seems like a long time for backup to come on when you have patients on life support machines, but they wouldn't expect to lose their backup as well.

This chapter was so good (but really sad) and I'm so excited for the next chapter, I read this on Monday and have been desperately waiting to read the next one XD

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 27th Sep 2020

Chapter 3: Dearly Departed :cry:
  • Seems to me it should be the opposite way, the more seasoned/experienced officer going on deadly topside missions involving national security. Essentially this is like telling James Bond it’s time to retire and let Paul Blart, Mall Cop take over.
  • Hm. It seems the LEP is also more concerned with their personal image over People’s safety.
    From this we can infer down below if you don’t have your reputation, you have nothing. We’ve established many a time the Haven community is a small one. Big by their standards, yes, but small. And severely lacking in media and other resources.
    Perhaps the reason reputations and images are so important to people like Argon and the LEP is for just that reason: there’s no one else to turn to, so you’ve gotta make sure you put the best foot forward, otherwise the People will stage a revolt and evince their own designs for how to run things.
    Think of it like this, if you went to Maccas and found a hair in your food, you likely wouldn’t go back to that Maccas ever again or any other Maccas and switch to Burger King. The People only have Maccas. There is no BK or Wendys. So if/when they see a fly in their food, they’re going to clean house on that Maccas.
  • Does that make any sort of sense? Full disclosure, it’s 11:28pm, so I’m kinda just ramble-rolling with this.
  • No, Holly, it’s probably Carole Baskins. (Yes, we’re still using that joke xD )
  • Seriously, this argument for accepting the promotion makes zero sense. I’d rather have a competent officer with boots on the ground then propped up in a cushy office while incompetents like Grub run amok.
  • Even Root can tell she doesn’t want the promotion. Hm. Do you reckon this “career turnaround” was part of a deal he made in private with Internal Affairs/the Council? Let Holly keep her job, but she doesn’t get to actually do anything. He says he stuck his neck out for her to get this promotion and we know previously he threatened to turn in his badge if IA suspended her. I can easily see a ficlet of a Tactical Talk Root stripping down Internal Affairs or a Council member to “get the heat off Holly and not only that, but you’re going to put her down for the Major position.” “Holly Short?! Major??! Hm…actually, yes, that’ll do nicely. You get to keep the test subject and her wings will be clipped.”
    Or something like that.
  • A CGI ARTEMIS FOWL?!?!?!?! GRRRR!!!NGJERNJENJGNJGJUER5TGBRNJTU5GUI!!!!!!!
  • IT’S CALLED MAKE UP AND SPECIAL EFFECTS!!!! HAVE YOU NO RESPECT FOR THE CRAFT, YOU DAFT DUNGEON DWELLERS?!!!!!??
  • JUST GRAB A REAL HUMAN AND WIPE HIM AFTERWARDS, YOU COWARDS!!!
  • YOU CAN TRAIN HIM!!!! LIKE AN ANT!!!!!
  • *panting*
  • *reaches for Tylenol* No wait. Going to need that for the post list rant.
  • Neutrino 3000. A gun made of plastic?! You monsters! At least metal comes from nature! It can be refined and reused again and again. Plastic isn’t even biodegradable!
  • Mmm. Fancy suits. It’d be a shame if they got blown up or put through a wringer of an adventure.
  • Fairies may not be as creatively verbose/artistically inclined as Mud Men….but I’ll give them kudos for the authenticity of using the actual goblin shuttle in the actual chute where the battle took place….course sound stage space is likely nonexistent in Haven…so I can’t exactly give them much credit. *grumbles about CGI Artemis* Call Foaly, I hear he’s got a Sim on file. Goes to the bathroom and everything.
Surprisingly, I don’t have many notes on “the” scene.
Probably, I’m biased as my mind already knows what’s going to happen so I’m screaming at literally every little sign for Julius and Holly to get the heck outta Dodge.
You read it and it comes off very routine, so routine that Holly and Julius let themselves go down a slippery slope without realizing it until they’ve sunken up to their necks. They could so easily have shrugged and let Trouble pop in with his sprite team.
What bugs me is how much of this is based on Opal assuming they’ll just roll with it. And roll they do! Like a boulder after an archaeologist, they plop themselves right in place for her! Even after realizing it’s a trap and they’re in a bad spot! What if after seeing Opal, Holly handwrote a note for Foaly to see on the helmet cam? What if Holly and Root just flew off out of range and began to order a trace on Opal’s position?

The only note I wrote was a snarky suggestion for Holly to call the bluff, that is when Root has the bomb strapped to him and Opal tries goading Holly to shoot…let’s say Holly doesn’t shoot. That would put a damper on the discredit bit of Holly, wouldn’t it? Let’s say the bomb’s timer got down to zero and nothing happened. “Oh, you didn’t shoot….well…I really was expecting you to…..um…this is awkward.”
Too much of that scheme relied on chance of them doing exactly as expected. We could chalk that up to Opal’s brilliance, but that feels lazy. And just…people like Opal and Artemis – schemers of ill virtue – they understand things go awry. They prefer having a safe and secure scheme, something reliable. Like rolling a hotwheel car down the track.
Opal especially I wouldn’t have thought of as having put a great dependence on her plan to relying on the goodness of Holly and Root willing to rescue Scalene. People like Opal, villains and knaves….I wouldn’t think it’s in her nature to emphasize, or to believe in the good nature of people.
Note I am contractually obligated to say “wouldn’t” as obviously she did.

I will say, I did have an amusing scene where Holly calls the bluff and Opal has this “Well D’Arvit” look, like a deer that’s seen the headlights and they’ve halted. And she tentatively goes “Uh….one and a half? One and one third? C’mon! Anyday now!”

I’ll put this out here at the end, because he’s not worth putting at the beginning.
I am not impressed with Trouble. Truth be told, I don’t like Trouble at all. (Ayyy, no one does :razz: )
Okay, that comes off a little harsh. I know he is a fan favorite for some (not to mention we have users here that have taken up the name – absolutely fine, don’t mind my tirades!), maybe I’m the weird one out, it just….it seems like he’s always portrayed as trying to look like the badass.
Even insisting to be called “Trouble” that sounds like the most childish thing. It screams to me that he’s insecure about something. Maybe it’s because he’s not one of the “core” members. He doesn’t do anything for the stories. He has one impact on this story later on, but that’s it. And even that later on bit? Easily could replace him with Chix Verbal and it would pay off way better. But I think Chix appears and helps out in another capacity, so maybe having him twice save the day would be Chix abuse.
I digress.
It bugs me that he became a Major first too. It so gives off vibes of “anything you can do, I can do better” so hard, the pages practically scream the lyrics at me.
Maybe that’s the point. Maybe Eoin crafted this guy to be the perfect Alpha leading male in order to show how sexism depreciates the value of a good officer that is Holly.
You have Trouble thrust into the limelight while in the background Holly and Artemis are the ones actually getting stuff done and saving the day. Trouble’s the one who just happens to be there at the end of the day when the ONE news truck comes rolling by to cover the story.
And no, I don’t mean he’s a glory media hound, just that he seems to overshadow without doing anything.
If that was your intention Eoin, bloody fantastic work, dude.
*panting* Alright. Where’s the Tylenol?

I am legitimately enjoying the Readalong and the stories, just in case anyone was wondering

~~
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
  • Two minutes without power in a medical facility seems quite dangerous. But I guess they don't really care.
Only if it makes them look bad.
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
  • That sedative is extremely fast-acting. I wonder if elf skin is different to human skin.
I vaguely recall from...it might have been book one...Holly reports that elfin skin can dry very quickly, to the point where some guys remove their helmets and it looks like it's snowing. Kind of gross. But luckily, Holly moisturizes.
I'm no scientist so forgive my wording and more or less inaccurate ramblings...but perhaps elves/the fairy population have a higher rate for processing water/moisture. Mulch/dwarves need water so badly their pores can even imbibe if able/necessary.
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
  • I'm surprised the x-ray can differentiate between paper and canvas, I would have expected them to have a very similar radiopacity (sorry I'm nitpicking too XD)
Nitpicking for the win!
(I definitely just showed my age xD)

Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Man, Haven/the Fairy world sounds utterly boring. Top stories of the past year are goblin riot trials and twins.
It must be because their security measures are kind of overkill. I mean, DNA swaps four times a day? That seems more over the top than the security team of six.
I know I'm not allowed to call it paranoid because it turns out they're right, but still... Fairies are super paranoid.
I wonder how many people escaped from top medical facilities by finding someone similar to them. I mean, it has to have happened before, right? Why else do they have all these security measures?
I agree. Uber paranoid. And I guess for good reason.
I am amused at the Face/Off implication escapades brought to light by the security measures of the constant DNA swabs

Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
*hysterically laugh-cry-sobs in American*
...because it's true.

Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
40% is a lot lower than he'd normally find acceptable. Perhaps the mindwipe affected him or perhaps he's truly turning into a risk-taking teen. We shouldn't discount hormones, horrible as Artemis might find them.
And I agree it was odd that they were prepared for a check with the hand-held detector but didn't have a fake ID for Artemis. Very sloppy.

Good point with the hormones! Good lord, maybe that was why he chose such a disguise, his caricature version of the "rebelling" teen.
Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
You'd think Kurt would catch on. No movement? It's like a kid that makes no noise. You know something is up.
Or they're on a phone or tablet, of course. That is the more common explanation these days. But this book was written a few years back.
Now that you bring it up, I'm kinda sorry for Eoin. I feel like we went through quite a technological whirlwind in real life as these books came out and it shows just a tad here and there.
We start off with kids wearing out their thumbs on Gameboys and by book six, we have farmers in rural Africa playing on iPods. And that's supposed to be in the past xD
I think he kept up as well as he could.

AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
  • Holly is the best.
Gods, right???
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
  • I really think Grub should consider a career change, I think he'd be so much happier.
Gods, right???
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
  • I thought Holly was aiming to be the first female commander so it seems kind of odd for her to have decided to reject the promotion. Though I might have misremembered that.
I honestly couldn't say one way or another. I always just got the impression she liked the adventure of it.
Semi spoilery if you haven't read Fowl Twins, By then she's reported to have become a Commodore and have LEP shuttles at her disposal and training Specialists...so I guess she does eventually mellow out/embrace her inner Root
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
  • It's kind of funny how there's a tv film being made about Holly and Artemis in the book and now in our reality there is also a (kind of) tv film about Holly and Artemis.
Think the fairy version is better received? :razz:
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
  • I do wonder about the goblins. I don't remember much from the first 2 books, but have they ever been shown to directly harm the people in the books? What are they hoping to achieve with their rebellion? Is it just against the LEP or Haven as a whole? And honestly, the way the characters we love talk about them, I wouldn't blame them for rebelling if they are not being treated as equals. They were part of Opal's plot but presumably that would be classified information, I doubt the ordinary goblin knew that, they probably thought they were fighting for a better society for themselves and their families. Essentially, I want to know more about their motivations before I write them off as the bad guys.
This. I'll take some of this too, please. All of a sudden I have a hankering to add a #goblinlivesmatter to my siggie.
That was my question too, if they knew Opal was in charge. They knew Briar was. I think they knew they at least were overthrowing the LEP to free their brethren...and from there, I could imagine false promises of better lives for goblins. Like Scar's hyenas in Lion King.
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
  • "Be well" :'(

Literally, my heart broke reading through all your notes on the Event. I won't say anymore on it. Only that there is an actual tear in my eye. Like, fifty percent of a tear. :cry:
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
Iris wrote:
Fri 25th Sep 2020
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
Ohhh, I didn't realise the backup was blown out as well, that makes more sense. Because 2 minutes seems like a long time for backup to come on when you have patients on life support machines, but they wouldn't expect to lose their backup as well.

I'll make a daring assumption (as we know Fairies value reputation over actual safety) that if there is anyone with a severe medical condition, they might have a dedicated battery serving their support systems.

~~

(un)Surprisingly, I have one more rant that I kept forgetting to post about. This actually goes back to book 3, The Eternity Code.
So you recall Mulch and Loafers are specifically chosen to kidnap Artemis as they are both Irish. Supposedly anyway.
This got me thinking.
So technically, no, Mo aka Mulch isn't Irish, but feels an affinty for them. In turn it made me wonder....does he naturally speak with an Irish accent or did he just use one for fun when in Chicago?
In Book 1, Juliet comments that Holly's accent sounds "like a bit of everything" (man, I would love to hear a qualified voice coach try and give me a few lines of that). As all language flows from Gnommish, do fairies have an inherent control over accents as well as the actual language? Consider how language/communication can also rely on tone in addition to just the words.
One more bit of source lore, book 2, Mulch uses "American Dog" to talk to a pair of German shepards. They describe his accent as "mid-European."
So....there's definitely an accent Americans would pick up. And apparently they could be sold into believing it's Irish. Or that Mo suffered a hard life and had to travel through Europe in his father's circus.
Image Image ImageImage
네이트

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Mon 5th Oct 2020

Ok so chapter 4:
  • I've just realised that this is set in Munich and I've visited Munich since the last time I read this book so I need to update the way I see these scenes in my head :lol:
  • Messrs Crane and Sparrow - I only just realised they are both named after types of bird. XD
  • Ahhh chromatography, that's taking me back to chemistry at school XD
  • "Sky and earth seemed to stretch and drip like oil paint on a canvas" I really like how this ties into the painting that they've just stolen, it's a really nice choice of words.
  • Poor poor Holly.
  • Opal really does like to waste time explaining her plans. She'd be invincible if she just kept her mouth shut.
  • Butler being left behind is logical and understandable, but also poor Butler, Butler deserves better.
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 20th Sep 2020
I vaguely recall from...it might have been book one...Holly reports that elfin skin can dry very quickly, to the point where some guys remove their helmets and it looks like it's snowing. Kind of gross. But luckily, Holly moisturizes.
I'm no scientist so forgive my wording and more or less inaccurate ramblings...but perhaps elves/the fairy population have a higher rate for processing water/moisture. Mulch/dwarves need water so badly their pores can even imbibe if able/necessary.

Yes I remember that, that's a good point! I have no idea about the science, I'll let you know once I've done my dermatology module XD I have a feeling that hydrated skin absorbs better than dry skin, and I feel like Grub would also be an elf who moisturises, seeing as he was so worried about his hangnail, so that could partly account for it being so fast-acting. Also I bet fairy medicines are better than ours.

artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
AFrules12 wrote:
Sat 26th Sep 2020
Think the fairy version is better received? :razz:
ahahaha I guess it wouldn't be too difficult XD

artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
(un)Surprisingly, I have one more rant that I kept forgetting to post about. This actually goes back to book 3, The Eternity Code.
So you recall Mulch and Loafers are specifically chosen to kidnap Artemis as they are both Irish. Supposedly anyway.
This got me thinking.
So technically, no, Mo aka Mulch isn't Irish, but feels an affinty for them. In turn it made me wonder....does he naturally speak with an Irish accent or did he just use one for fun when in Chicago?
In Book 1, Juliet comments that Holly's accent sounds "like a bit of everything" (man, I would love to hear a qualified voice coach try and give me a few lines of that). As all language flows from Gnommish, do fairies have an inherent control over accents as well as the actual language? Consider how language/communication can also rely on tone in addition to just the words.
One more bit of source lore, book 2, Mulch uses "American Dog" to talk to a pair of German shepards. They describe his accent as "mid-European."
So....there's definitely an accent Americans would pick up. And apparently they could be sold into believing it's Irish. Or that Mo suffered a hard life and had to travel through Europe in his father's circus.
This is really interesting. It also got me thinking, as the fairies have the gift of tongues, what accents would they have in other languages? Presumably they would be native accents as they have native English speaking accents, but I really wonder which ones it would be and if it would vary with individuals, and like you said, if they have control over it.
But also I'm not sure that those gangsters were the smartest and could probably be convinced that any European accent is an Irish accent XD

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Mon 5th Oct 2020

A day late and a dollar short, but here we are! :D

Chapter 4 Narrow Escapes
  • Not that it matters, but it’d be interesting to hear a play-by-play rendition of how Artemis thinks the rescue with his father went down.
  • Hand holding! *gasps* How nefarious!
  • Well, gee, Angeline, maybe if you hadn’t cracked up when Artemis Senior disappeared, your son wouldn’t have had to mature/take on as much responsibility as he had. Can’t entirely blame her though, Artemis has always had that mindset. AF Senior’s disappearance merely strengthened it.
  • I appreciate the mention/follow up of the mirrored contact lenses plotline. Consistency.
  • Steady hand Southpaws unite!
  • If every thief that thieved The Fairy Thief scraped a sliver off the painting for verification, eventually there’d be nothing left of the piece. Is there another way it could be tested without having to damage it?
  • Ugh, such micromanaging, Artemis! Of course Butler knows to give it to Christiana.
  • And thus Artemis Fowl/Butler are saved by pure chance.
  • From Butler’s perspective, he never even heard Artemis’s message. He has zero perceptions for micromanaging.
  • Love the ingenuity. “Eh, we could go down the stairs…but I really don’t feel like it. I’m tired and my legs and lungs are killing me. Eh, the window looks good to me.” (Assuming his mentality was that the bomb would level the entire building and exiting it asap was vital…the window actually was a decent strat.)
  • In TEC, we see Holly and Butler go from Ireland to Heathrow in less than thirty two minutes. Here it takes 90 minutes to go from essentially Paris to Germany. Dunno. Seems like it should’ve taken shorter, but she did have to go up through the chute.
  • Holly says comms are down, but she can essentially Google and hack hotels? Seems strange. Why not send Foaly a message over the fairy-equivalent of Facebook? Oh god. I can totally see Foaly just legit having a FB.
  • Once more, impeccable timing. [rant]
    Opal has plotted to have Artemis’s bomb blow at the exact moment Holly arrives in Germany. Way. Too. Convenient. What if Artemis decided to abandon the heist? Or waited til he was back home in Ireland to open the painting? Or, since we’ve got a working theory his hormones/lessened intellect, maybe he foolishly opens it in the car ride?
    There’s too many people here playing into doing exactly what Opal needs them to do. Inaction seems to be the safest choice so far: Holly and Root could have opted to stay out of the Scalene thing. Holly could have opted not to shoot. Artemis could have opted not to steal or open the painting.
    [/rant]
  • The open trust between Butler and Holly is so pure. Definitely not something easily won from either, especially Butler.
  • “…Artemis had to be protected. Firstly because he was undoubtedly the prime target…” Kind of picturing a What If…? where Artemis is murdered and a vengeful Butler goes hunting after Opal. Def a mistake to underestimate Butler, Opal. After all, he did a lot of the heavy lifting in TAI.

~~
AFrules12 wrote:
Mon 5th Oct 2020
"Sky and earth seemed to stretch and drip like oil paint on a canvas" I really like how this ties into the painting that they've just stolen, it's a really nice choice of words.
Good catch!
AFrules12 wrote:
Mon 5th Oct 2020
Opal really does like to waste time explaining her plans. She'd be invincible if she just kept her mouth shut.
Now that you mention it, I think nearly every villain here chatters and prattles, including Artemis. But to be fair, his expositioning/gloating was partly psychological, mess with the fairies, manipulate them into using certain tactics.
AFrules12 wrote:
Mon 5th Oct 2020
Butler being left behind is logical and understandable, but also poor Butler, Butler deserves better.[/list]
I'm tellin' ya, vengeful Butler is a force to be reckoned with. :lol:

AFrules12 wrote:
Mon 5th Oct 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 27th Sep 2020
This got me thinking.
This is really interesting. It also got me thinking, as the fairies have the gift of tongues, what accents would they have in other languages? Presumably they would be native accents as they have native English speaking accents, but I really wonder which ones it would be and if it would vary with individuals, and like you said, if they have control over it.
But also I'm not sure that those gangsters were the smartest and could probably be convinced that any European accent is an Irish accent XD
Lol, good point. I think my headcanon will be that Mulch messed with them by using a stereotypical and over the top Irish accent. "TOP'O'TA MORNING LADDIES. Fine day ta be acting the maggot and drinking a pint o' the black stuff!"
Image Image ImageImage
네이트