Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Anything about the Fowl books.
Battery
Ringbearer

Re: Artemis Fowl Read-Along

Post by Battery » Sun 28th Jun 2020

Happy weekend!! It's the last week of TAI! :D It's been a blast reading this one with you guys, thanks to all of you who've stuck with this whole affair <3 Thanks, Cab, for working out a better paced schedule this time; I think it worked out great!

Notes for the home stretch:

Chapter 14
  • I have so many questions about Foaly's printed money. They obviously think it will pass for real. Where did he get the materials? Did he already have a human money machine lying around? Does he have multiple human money machines for various currencies? How much would all of this affect inflation?
  • People reading different editions, is the amount also in US dollars for you?
  • Ah, it dissolves. So probably no inflation, but that raises even more questions about how he made them
  • Holly has saved both of Artemis's parents by now, and this time she did it by willingly putting herself at risk
  • Artemis makes the plan, but he's willing to let Holly and Butler take the reins with the execution and trusts them when things don't go to plan. He doesn't panic, the way he does a little bit in the first book when things start going wrong.
Epilogue
  • Artemis is so bad at genuine sentiment :') But it shows such a change in character that he wants to make the effort to do it right, and is willing to lean on others' experience to nudge him back on track when he strays a little
  • I smiled my way through the whole epilogue

For anybody who read to the end with us, here's another little badge you can feel free to use or not, as you like :)

Code: Select all

[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/a673a6e75be2b2c6b66aec6f670efea6/93996ce8602de513-02/s75x75_c1/837094803bb85d45f0908b2d77e620a01e17a629.png[/img]
I'm super looking forward to starting TEC with y'all! I barely remember anything of that book aside from a few scattered scenes and plot points, so it's going to be a blast experiencing it again with everybody's perspective :)
ImageImageImage

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 28th Jun 2020

Ooooh!!! I love the badge!!! Awesome work!!!! :D

Ahem....

Chapter 14: Father's Day

So...I kind of wound up obsessing a bit over the ransom fee.
The Russkyes end up only asking for five million dollars.
That...kinda seems low.
Granted, consider in the first book, Artemis's ransom is one ton of gold, which if you look up the figures, back in 2000, gold was going for about 280 dollars an ounce...which comes out to just under 9 million.
I could easily see the Russians demanding something like 50 or a 100 million from Artemis. It almost seems disrespectful. What, is that the discounted criminal circuit bargain price?
Five million also is not a lot of money when you consider the expenses.
Expenses such as paying a hundred lackeys. A hundred guys! I'll be generous and assume they're being paid. Let's say that's a hundred bucks a head. That's a hundred grand right there.
One top of that, we learn Kamar and Vassikin are only being paid a fifth of that five mil, with the lion's share going to Britva.
So they're only getting a million. Between the two of them. Minus a 100,000 in man power. So 450,000 a piece.
On top of the various fees that would be associated with keeping Artemis Senior alive for the past two years. Also not counting money laundering fees.

Honestly...it might have been economically healthier to just let Artemis Senior die, or better yet - just let the dude do his deal in the first place. The Russians would have gotten a cut of the deal in some way. "Protection fee"
/endrant
  • Poor Vassikin. No Interpol file
  • "I know someone. He has all the numbers." Classic.
  • I feel you, Kamar. Mikhael is not too bright, is he? A modern Fowl villain like Kronski would've calculated Artemis's location on the fjord.
An Epilogue or Two
  • Butler nudging Artemis. I so want to see/read that fanfic of Butler priming Artemis for his farewell with Holly.
  • This. This is why I remembered the finger. Because she gifts the gold coin to Artemis, who later... uses a replica gold disk to hide fairy memories.
Well. There we go. Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident.
This definitely feels the most sequel-y. All the set up from the first book pays off here.

~~
Battery wrote:
Sun 28th Jun 2020
  • I have so many questions about Foaly's printed money. They obviously think it will pass for real. Where did he get the materials? Did he already have a human money machine lying around? Does he have multiple human money machines for various currencies? How much would all of this affect inflation?

For that matter, does he have a passport printer thing? And will that disappear after 24 hours? xD
Also, I'm totally picturing that scene in BTTF 2 where Doc whips out a briefcase of money from various time periods and hands Marty some cash for new clothes. :lol:
Battery wrote:
Sun 28th Jun 2020
  • Ah, it dissolves. So probably no inflation, but that raises even more questions about how he made them
Special ink/paper? Something that must corrode on contact with open air? Or one of Foaly's trademarked incendiary packs. :lol:
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Nautron respoc lorni virch

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 28th Jun 2020

Battery wrote:
Sun 28th Jun 2020
Thanks, Cab, for working out a better paced schedule this time; I think it worked out great!
No problem! I am gonna grab my copy of TEC and try to work out a schedule for starting. Are we gonna take this week off again and start on 6th July? :D

Here are my very brief thoughts because I was far too preoccupied with just enjoying it :D

Chapter 14:
  • Seeing Arty's all over the world at the same hour. Could this be a subtle nod to time-travel plots yet to come?
  • I had totally forgot that Arty's plan was to have his own father 'shot'
  • Everyone and Foaly got to see one of the most raw parts of human emotion, all from Artemis Fowl
Epilogue:
  • So according to Holly his IQ would take a dip when he is mindwiped. Is that consistent with what we see in TOD?
  • Awh that goodbye interaction has me so emotional :sob:
That was all so much fun to read again. As they go on I seem to have forgotten more about them than I realised. It is so good to be doing this reread. I am so excited for TEC :D
Battery wrote:
Sun 28th Jun 2020

Chapter 14
  • People reading different editions, is the amount also in US dollars for you?
Yes! My copy says that the random is "5 million US".
Battery wrote:
Sun 28th Jun 2020
For anybody who read to the end with us, here's another little badge you can feel free to use or not, as you like :)

Code: Select all

[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/a673a6e75be2b2c6b66aec6f670efea6/93996ce8602de513-02/s75x75_c1/837094803bb85d45f0908b2d77e620a01e17a629.png[/img]
OMG I love it! ^_^ I am gonna go and add it right now, thank you AA :D
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Cabaline
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by Cabaline » Sun 28th Jun 2020

Yes, I am being naughty and double posting. But I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this and didn't accidentally miss it! I've counted up all the pages in TEC and come up with another schedule, some of the chapter lengths in this bad boy are LONG, but I've managed to work it out so that it's 8 weeks again, and that the chunks are as roughly same-sized as I can get them! Let me know what you think! :D

Week 1: 6th July - Prologue, Chapter 1 & 2 (37 pages)
week 2: 13th July - Chapter 3 (58 pages)
Week 3: 20th July - Chapter 4 & 5 (30 pages)
Week 4: 27th July - Chapter 6 & 7 (34 pages)
Week 5: 3rd August - Chapter 8 (35 pages)
Week 6: 10th August - Chapter 9 (46 pages)
Week 7: 17th August - Chapter 10 (47 pages)
Week 8: 24th August - Chapter 11, 12 & epilogue (36 pages)

As you can see, I have left us a week for people to make sure they can find a copy of the book to read, and to ensure that everyone gets to finish TAI :D As always these times are fas flexible as they need to be, and are always there to be amended if we need to :D
Image Image
I'm always on hand so feel free to message me about anything :)
I also write articles! :D I also have a twitter too! :D

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sun 28th Jun 2020

The schedule looks good to me, Cabby!
And thanks for the badge, Battery :D

As mentioned before in the 40k thread, I just read the final chapters all in one go. It was too exciting, which really says it all :D

What I love about these final chapters is that they show a completely opposite view of Artemis from the prologue. He has bonded with Mulch up to the point where he consciously decides to risk his life for him. He blindly trusts in Foaly intelligence, knowing that the centaur had more information and more time and has blind faith he will have a plan. As mentioned before, he lets Holly and Butler take charge during the rescue. He uses athletic skills instead of just his brain. He thanks Holly. He asks Butler if he did the right thing. And he has his first 'cool' moment of his life and agrees he can try to be a bit more decent. And it all ties together in his conversation with doctor Po. Yes, he has.
Image Image

Iris
Dwarf Thief

Post by Iris » Sat 11th Jul 2020

Well, let's kick this off with a double post.
I remember little about this book, aside from one specific quote towards the end I like. However, as soon as I start reading, it's coming right back. Including the angry line about the kids' menu :D
  • I like how we get straight into the action. There's some nice foreshadowing when Butler glares at an 80-year old lady. He really knows his stuff as he turns out to be right.
  • I imagine the events in the last two books left Butler feeling like he can offer opinions on Artemis' personal life. As he has shown he does listen and grow.
  • Last time "His soldier's sense was beating a tattoo on the inside of his skull", this time it's a nest of hornets.
  • We've come a long way since Artemis tried to play the video from the hostage-takers. He clearly looked for a better way.
  • "Isn't Artemis a girl's name?" The setup to the quote I do remember.
  • Butler is truly the best.
  • Holly proves again she's very smart when put under pressure.
Image Image

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 12th Jul 2020

Happy Saturday!

Y'know, I have vague memories of reading this book second, after the first book. I think my library didn't have TAI at the time for whatever reason, so I jumped ahead with this one.

Part 1: Attack

Chapter 1: The Cube

• The meeting-a-contact-for-lunch bit seems like a homage to the first book with Nguyen in Ho Chi Minh
  • It's rather strange seeing Butler express concern over other's feelings. Yes, he's shown many a time to be a good and honorable man. But in context of courting women and social cues.
    Not strange in a bad way. It's nice to see as opposed to some mercenary robot devoid of emotion. I like Iris's opinion that he's grown more comfortable with offering such advise.
  • I respect Artemis. Food first, Business later
  • Okay, in your guys' versions, is the C Cube blue or red? I distinctly remember it being described as blue...but in this version it's red.
  • Blunt casually loading the Coronation Street tape into the bar telly should be a hint that something's amiss. No dialogue from the bartender/staff that he's not allowed to be there/fiddling with their telly
  • Also, VHS lol.
  • Excuse you, Butler. I think you fail to recognize the relevance of a good ol staredown.
  • "...But did you ever put a gun to somebody's head and pull the trigger?"
    I love this line. It's dark and gritty. And a dabble of foreshadowing for Artemis's future if he stays the course of career criminal. Makes me wonder if Artemis Senior ever got his hands dirty in such a manner.
  • The old lady scratching her head with the revolver :lol:
    Methinks Aunt May needs a weapons safety refresher course.
  • Like, what is this old lady's story? What path did she take to be 80 years old and gunning people down as a mercenary-hitwoman? Either she has got the coolest backstory or a very unfortunate one.
Chapter 2: Lockdown
  • Don't rule quarantine out just yet, Holly, they could be asymptomatic. Better put a mask on for safety's sake. 😷
  • "Ordinary citizens were not so lucky; they would have to walk. Hundreds stumbled from their automobiles, too scared to protest. That would come later." Lockdown and protesting in the offing, check. Sorry, Holly, looks like you're in 2020.
  • It's curious that in the Board/Counsel meeting, not a single solitary soul even mentions Artemis as a possibility of being responsible for the ping. Remember TAI? I joked Holly was blaming Artemis for everything. Goes to show she's grown to trust Artemis - or at least doesn't view him as a threat at this point.
Image Image ImageImage
The last step in any journey may be the first step of an even greater adventure.
네이트
WARNING: I may post stuff that is not for suited for immature eyes. READ AT YOUR OWN CAUTION

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Sun 12th Jul 2020

Happy weekend! :D

Like Iris, I barely remember anything of this book outside of a few scattered scenes, so this was a lot of fun to dive back into! The first chapter in particular was one of those fast and easy reads for me, it was neat to jump right into the action this time around

I also love that all three of us so far took something out of that exchange between Butler and Artemis about how to talk to people properly :')
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 12th Jul 2020
  • The meeting-a-contact-for-lunch bit seems like a homage to the first book with Nguyen in Ho Chi Minh
Yes!! I noticed that too, it feels like he was trying to give it a circular ending given that this was originally going to be the last book <3 Though it's not quite as on the nose about it as the ending for TLG :lol:
artymon I\/ wrote:
  • Okay, in your guys' versions, is the C Cube blue or red? I distinctly remember it being described as blue...but in this version it's red.
Wow, that's so weird! I had to go back and check just to make sure, and it's definitely blue in my version. Does it say when/where your edition was published? I'm super curious about this now :lol:

Also, your entire chapter 2 section is almost exactly the same as mine as far as general takeaways :lol:
Iris wrote:
Sat 11th Jul 2020
  • "Isn't Artemis a girl's name?" The setup to the quote I do remember.
That's definitely one of the moments I remember as well :) One of those iconic AF quotes :lol:

And my notes:

Chapter 1:
  • A nod from Eoin to the fact that this was originally meant to be the final book, and Arty's last hurrah: the name of the restaurant, En Fin, means "in the end"
  • Butler and Artemis having an actual constructive dialogue about Arty's lack of social skills shows a lot of growth. Plus, it's nice to know he isn't always a jerk on purpose. Not like he had many positive examples of how to act
  • The rest of the description doesn't match, but the bleach blonde hair made my brain jump straight to Arno Blunt = movie!Butler
  • Yeah, there's no way the C Cube would actually end up on the market if it can tell what government agencies are up to
  • Spiro's line about whether Artemis is willing to pull the trigger on someone reads very similarly to Dr. Po's line about respect in the beginning of TAI. Something to watch as a theme, maybe?
Chapter 2:
  • How apropos that this chapter is called Lockdown
  • I'll suspend my disbelief, but how is this the first time this has come up? Did he never test this function? And even ignoring that much, does nobody think this might have to do with one of the three humans who actually already knows something's down here?
  • It's so hard not to read on!! I want to know what happens to Artemis :lol:
ImageImageImage

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sun 12th Jul 2020

Hi everyone!

I'm so excited to join the read along, I remember when it started I figured out you probably wouldn't get to TEC until about July and it seemed so far away, I can't believe time has gone so quickly! Also, I had a look at my reading log and it turned out I actually finished TAI about a year ago so I've definitely forgotten stuff from those books, so apologies for that.

Anyway, onto the book.

I love how easy it is to read and get into this book, I read the first chapters so quickly.
  • Artemis' diary is on a disk, which is just so cute and nostalgic
  • Spiro's company is called Fission Chips, I never got that joke before XD
  • Childrens menu line is funny
  • The tap water ice thing had a really big impression on 10 year old me, to this day I think of this when I have ice in a drink XD
  • The truly amazing thing about the cube is that the battery lasts for 2 years, I wish my laptop lasted that long
  • I had to look up what napster was XD
  • Artemis was really careless giving information away about the LEP, you would have thought he would have tested the cube, just doesn't seem like him?
  • I love Butler
  • Are there systemic problems in the LEP in their treatment of goblins?
  • Poor Holly doesn't get a break and the book has only just started.
I had forgotten this was planned to be the last book, it'll make me look at it differently.

The cube is red in my book, but is nestled in blue foam. I have the UK hardback from 2003, I think it's the first edition. I wonder why they changed it!

I really can't remember any of the plot of this book, I'm excited to read on!

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 13th Jul 2020

^ Hey! Welcome welcome! :D It's great to have you along! ^_^
AFrules12 wrote:
Sun 12th Jul 2020
  • The truly amazing thing about the cube is that the battery lasts for 2 years, I wish my laptop lasted that long
Saaame :lol: It's funny how the C Cube's functions are pretty much split 50/50 as far as what is possible in a portable device now and what isn't. I covet the battery life and the download speeds x)
AFRules12 wrote:
  • I had to look up what napster was XD
Oh boy thank you, I feel old XD
AFRules12 wrote:The cube is red in my book, but is nestled in blue foam. I have the UK hardback from 2003, I think it's the first edition. I wonder why they changed it!
I wonder too! I have a US paperback from 2005, so I wonder if it was changed for the initial US release or got changed over time. This is blowing my mind more than it probably should XD

Does anybody happen to have a copy of the graphic novel on hand? The cover that comes up on a Google search makes it look blue (or blue-white?), but I'd be interested to see it in the actual inside illustrations

I'm also curious about the cover, is there a correlation between blue cover/blue cube, red cover/red cube? I've got the blue cube and the blue cover 🤔

Blue foam for me as well, though. At least that much is consistent :lol:
ImageImageImage

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Mon 13th Jul 2020

Battery wrote:
Mon 13th Jul 2020
I'm also curious about the cover, is there a correlation between blue cover/blue cube, red cover/red cube? I've got the blue cube and the blue cover 🤔

Blue foam for me as well, though. At least that much is consistent :lol:
I think there might be, I've got red cover/red cube XD It is so interesting, particularly as there doesn't seem to be any reason for it!

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Tue 14th Jul 2020

I have an ecopy, the cover for it is red. My original copy was all blue, I believe it would have been a US copy.

Standby on the graphic novel...

Battery wrote:
Sun 12th Jul 2020

Chapter 1:
  • Yeah, there's no way the C Cube would actually end up on the market if it can tell what government agencies are up to
Right?!!! Like, what was Artemis thinking? Was he purely just screwing around with Spiro? Did he not have any intentions of selling the C Cube and purely wanted Spiro to sell himself out of business?
Battery wrote:
Sun 12th Jul 2020
  • Spiro's line about whether Artemis is willing to pull the trigger on someone reads very similarly to Dr. Po's line about respect in the beginning of TAI. Something to watch as a theme, maybe?
Good catch!

Bahaha, a 2 year battery life. Could you imagine?

Hm...I think what he may have meant is that its efficiency is only good for two years, after that the battery would have to be replaced/charged constantly.

Man, I feel really daft, I had no idea this was meant to be the last book!
Image Image ImageImage
네이트

artymon I\/
LEP Commander

Post by artymon I\/ » Sun 19th Jul 2020

Happy Weekend all!

Today, I shall indulge in a devious double post, after all, I do have some experience in the art of consecutive posting ;)

I was kind of surprised, chapter 3 is our biggest chunk in the entire book and why not, there's a lot that happens!

Chapter 3: On Ice
  • Honestly, I'm not even sure why Butler is conducting a sweep. There's nothing to be gained by holding that position. That's time that could have been spent catching Spiro and fleeing before the authorities arrive. Yeah, I suppose it makes sense, make sure the area is secure and who knows what might have been waiting outside...but they should have just gotten the heck outta Dodge.
  • In retrospect, it strikes me a tad off that Artemis hadn't known about Spiro's aversion to food. This is a guy that makes his living off knowing more than he shows. Reminds me of Kronski and his nose thing...
  • Butler is low-key obsessed with this old lady assassin. Do they have a history somewhere?
  • :(
  • Butler feeling a tremendous calm, being free from duty of serving and protecting A bittersweet moment.
  • "Juliet will protect you." I'm not crying, you are. 😢
  • Domovoi. *
  • Not complaining about the terrible cryogenics food. Butler would be proud.
  • Artemis is very determined to blame fairy magic for his father's supposedly changed persona. We don't have much of a basis one way or another, save a minor scene in Time Paradox - and even then, we can't fully trust the memory as young Artemis changed a slight bit of wording in what his father told him.
  • A fairly common concept for magic in media is that it comes with a price, usually in a spiritual sense. Here, the theory is that the magic inspires a positivity. Based off this, do you think Artemis's eventual turn from Dark to Light was inspired or caused by his various encounters with fairy magic? Being healed and even wielding it?
  • So many questions on the aging thing. I'll rant below. *2
  • And now Holly has healed three people closest to Artemis.
*Movie spoiler (we're in phase 2 of fair game, right?)
Alright, so those of us that have seen the movie know that Butler's first name is just straight up given to us. Here, we have to work for it. There's a vast difference.
It wasn't something frivolously offered like the polyester mix blend on a sweater. To be honest, it wasn't even a detail we necessarily needed. I totally probably could have gone eight books without needing to know. The name Butler alone is meant to carry a certain degree of prestige and strike an aura of security/fear in those who would meet this man.
It's a symbol of sorts. It was Domovoi Butler's only identification. And now we learn there's more to this man than that.
Especially as this is ramping up to be the Swan Song

We're told that Butler is forty years old and it's estimated he has aged by fifteen years. But what exactly does that mean? No two persons are the same and no two person would age the same.
A person that has a good diet and a consistent exercise regimen would age vastly different in 15 years compared to someone that sat on a couch eating junk food - not even taking into account familial genetics.
It makes sense to me now that I know this was meant to be the last book - and even then, it was said in the epilogue (I think) that Artemis would use Juliet if needed for protection, possibly implying future adventures with them, purrhaps even a little shippy-shipping?
Circling back to aging, for me, it's slightly ironic that this comes out in 2003 and that five years later, we see Harrison Ford, at the age of 65, donning his whip and fedora as Indiana Jones. For all the faults and flak I've given Crystal Skull, Harrison kicked butt pretty well for an older guy. (Yes, yes, Hollywood magic, I know.)
There's just so many questions with this magic aging thing. How does it work? Foaly theorizes he'll live longer than he would naturally. Is that "on top of" the years he has already acquired?
Let's say Butler would live to be 80. Do those fifteen years that now put him at the equivalent of "55" mean he would live to just be "equivalent 95" or would he live past "true 80"?

...Sorry.
Image Image ImageImage
네이트

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Mon 20th Jul 2020

Ok, so here are my thoughts on chapter 3:
  • Is a bullet clipping someone's temple realistic? I mean I know most of this book is not realistic but just seemed a bit strange to me, but I know very little about shooting.
  • Butler is amazing
  • Arthur's realisation that Butler is injured is so heartbreaking, I love how much they care for each other. Also Artemis showing emotion, he's softened so much since the first book
  • "Not yet completed his medical studies" implies he's started them. I want to see Artemis as a surgeon! (Because lets be real, he probably wouldn't be a good GP XD)
  • "Rich eccentrics who needed more than one lifetime to spend their money" this line made me laugh so much.
  • Stonehenge being a pizza parlour is amazing, like it is so out there, but could also kind of works XD
  • Brotherhood of bog - I love these little details about the fairies, I think it really adds depth to series.
  • "Strange that mud people seemed more concerned about the past than the present" I just love this quote. Still relevant today.
  • I really want to know which species of monkey can see through the fairy shield.
  • The flashbacks where he sees his father, I love how acts more like his age.
  • I'm so excited to see Juliet next week!
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 19th Jul 2020

A fairly common concept for magic in media is that it comes with a price, usually in a spiritual sense. Here, the theory is that the magic inspires a positivity. Based off this, do you think Artemis's eventual turn from Dark to Light was inspired or caused by his various encounters with fairy magic? Being healed and even wielding it?
I really like this theory! I believe meeting the fairies led to his change but always thought of it as Holly and co encouraging him to be a better person. The idea of being exposed to their magic having a part to play is really interesting, I think it is definitely possible!
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 19th Jul 2020

There's just so many questions with this magic aging thing. How does it work? Foaly theorizes he'll live longer than he would naturally. Is that "on top of" the years he has already acquired?
Let's say Butler would live to be 80. Do those fifteen years that now put him at the equivalent of "55" mean he would live to just be "equivalent 95" or would he live past "true 80"?

...Sorry.
I was really wondering about this! I think I took it to mean that he's biologically 15 years older now, but his natural lifespan is extended due to the magic. But now I'm thinking more about it I'm just getting more confused!

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Mon 20th Jul 2020

Happy belated weekend, this was a beast of a chapter :lol: Everybody hanging in there, or does anybody want us to wait a bit?

• I love the wording of "he took it" pertaining both to the one option he had left and the bullet
  • Artemis's immediate reaction to someone he cares about being in danger now seems to be "get Holly." It'll be interesting to see what that translates to once it's Holly herself in trouble.
  • And now I want pizza
  • Holly continues her streak of saving Artemis's parents
  • "I'm sorry, I did the best I could" really is a pretty awful thing to say to somebody in this situation, Holls
  • It seems like even book 1 Artemis wouldn't have appreciated the comparison to Spiro, but the particular one Holly drew is pretty undeniable
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 19th Jul 2020
  • Honestly, I'm not even sure why Butler is conducting a sweep. There's nothing to be gained by holding that position. That's time that could have been spent catching Spiro and fleeing before the authorities arrive. Yeah, I suppose it makes sense, make sure the area is secure and who knows what might have been waiting outside...but they should have just gotten the heck outta Dodge.
Same!! I had to go back and re-read his justification for it, it seemed like as soon as he was away he just wanted to get back. But I guess they needed to be apart for plot reasons :lol:
artymon I\/ wrote:We're told that Butler is forty years old and it's estimated he has aged by fifteen years. But what exactly does that mean? No two persons are the same and no two person would age the same.
A person that has a good diet and a consistent exercise regimen would age vastly different in 15 years compared to someone that sat on a couch eating junk food - not even taking into account familial genetics.
True, and Butler technically spent all of those years lying down in a cryo pod absorbing kevlar into his chest. Who even knows XD
AFRules12 wrote:"Not yet completed his medical studies" implies he's started them. I want to see Artemis as a surgeon! (Because lets be real, he probably wouldn't be a good GP XD)
Oh no, that's certainly an image :lol: His bedside manner would be abysmal. Really though, it was neat to see how much attention he was paying when the doctor was explaining - seems like one of the only times we see him actively trying to learn science things from (and non-sarcastically deferring to the scientific expertise of) someone who doesn't have access to fairy tech
AFrules12 wrote:
Mon 20th Jul 2020
artymon I\/ wrote:
Sun 19th Jul 2020
A fairly common concept for magic in media is that it comes with a price, usually in a spiritual sense. Here, the theory is that the magic inspires a positivity. Based off this, do you think Artemis's eventual turn from Dark to Light was inspired or caused by his various encounters with fairy magic? Being healed and even wielding it?
I really like this theory! I believe meeting the fairies led to his change but always thought of it as Holly and co encouraging him to be a better person. The idea of being exposed to their magic having a part to play is really interesting, I think it is definitely possible!
I personally think Artemis is wrong about this one. Like artymon said, there's no other evidence of anyone changing their whole personality based on magic. I get the impression that Artemis has such an entrenched idea of who his father is that nothing worldly could possibly change that, when in truth his father had just been through a year of horrible conditions brought upon him directly because of the kind of person he was. Angeline tells him that this is the way Artemis Sr. used to be, maybe going through so much trauma reminded him of what's important.

So I don't think Artemis Jr.'s change was because of magic, either - at least not in a literal sense. Metaphorically speaking, I suppose it definitely was fairy magic that brought him around. Meaning, I do think it was mostly because of Holly's encouragement and example :)
ImageImageImage