Can humans save themselves?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
lackingimagination
Gnome

Can humans save themselves?

Post by lackingimagination » Fri 1st Mar 2013

if you believe in a religion, chances are there's an end times prophecy in there, and buzz has been growing about the end of the world. and even if you're not, you can't deny the growing interest about the end times. asteroids narrowly missing us, meteors striking--and even if we don't get screwed over by the cosmos, or by our own wars, natural disasters, viruses, etc, in a few billion years (a short time cosmically) the sun will get too hot and we'll all be cooked to death.

chances aren't so good.

so what do you say? can humans save themselves from eventual extinction and become an eternal species, be it by migration to another planet or galaxy or even by transcendence of reality itself?

Randomosity
Troll
Location: I'm stuck in my computer! If you are reading this, find me! I'm filed under "Randomosity"

Re: Can humans save themselves?

Post by Randomosity » Sun 14th Apr 2013

No. People write songs about it, publish books about it and invent conspiracy theory's around it but not a whole lot will be done about it, because not a whole lot can. When we eventually do destroy the world and it's resources, or war breaks out or a virus attacks us the world will end and that will be that. it's already started what with weapons of mass destruction. And to top it all off the world will end anyway when the sun explodes in five billion years.

But at least we won't be alive to see it.
(FAVRIOTE QUOTE)I want to live in a world where chickens can cross the road without their motives being questioned Image
This sigge was made by Sara. THANK YOU!!!
Avvie made by skyswallow. THANK YOU ALSO!!!
There is no freedom, just different levels of bondage
Remember that all opinion is an view about the world. Find a place to stand.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON
Alcohol. the solution- and cause- of all life's problems
ASDF movies are awesome and so are Eddsworld and the TomSka movies. Also Rest In Peace Edd Gould your world will keep on spinning.
COFFEE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND!!!
COFFEE IS IN MY SOUL!
COFFEE IS MY SOUL!

Coffee addiction? Nah.

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Re: Can humans save themselves?

Post by The redeem3r » Wed 22nd May 2013

Randomosity wrote:No. People write songs about it, publish books about it and invent conspiracy theory's around it but not a whole lot will be done about it, because not a whole lot can. When we eventually do destroy the world and it's resources, or war breaks out or a virus attacks us the world will end and that will be that. it's already started what with weapons of mass destruction. And to top it all off the world will end anyway when the sun explodes in five billion years.

But at least we won't be alive to see it.
You hold quite the pessimistic view about the end of the world. Sure we have the weapons to kill ourselves - but it doesn't mean we will, and I like to believe that in reality, we won't.

A whole lot of conspiracy theories cannot be addressed and nothing can be done about them because you can't solve a problem that doesn't exist.

For example - the illumanti is supposedly a group ruling the world since the 1700s. The only truth to that is the fact that they existed as a secret society, but their purposes were much different than what is commonly spread. They were a type of early progressive movement - they supported women's rights, separation of church and state, and other progressive ideals. They were outlawed because, as I said, they were early - the world wasn't ready for their ideas. Women? Equals? Blasphemy. At least until men got smarter in the 20th century.

If the Illuminati where to exist today, it would much more likely exist as a group that serves to keep governments from abusing their powers over people than as a destructive and evil entity. That being said, I highly doubt their existence, and we can't dismantle a structure that doesn't exist.

Resources may be rare, but technology is improving - cars by 2025 will have to get twice as many miles to the gallon of gasoline(if we even rely on gasoline at that point. Compressed natural gas may replace it)
The United State's harmful emissions have been falling every consecutive year. We can help countries that are just developing take their first steps with natural gas or cleaner alternatives instead of harmful gasoline and the environment can be repaired. We currently produce enough food in the world for each person to eat twice his requirement every day. Reallocate the food and we can help make sure every country can feed their citizens. It's not a difficult concept, but change most often occurs during the gloomiest of times, and sadly the picture hasn't gotten gloomy enough yet. Once people realize I'm sure the environmental problems of today won't be problems any longer.

And when the Sun explodes, many astronomers believe that it will expand and consume the Earth and Mars, but it will allow Titan (Saturn's moon) to obtain Earth like condition. Even if the limits of today's physics are absolute limits, I'd be willing to bet anything that transporting the human species to Titan wouldn't be a difficult task in 5 billion years. Probably not even in a 100 years.

Pessimism holds no rewards, and Optimism holds all.

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.