Obama or Romney?

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
hiholly123
Dwarf Thief

Obama or Romney?

Post by hiholly123 » Thu 11th Oct 2012

I didn't see a subject about this, but if there is one, or if there are any other problems, mods, feel free to lock this. Thank you.

This is something that has been a debate not just in the U.S., but in plenty of other countries as well: Obama or Romney for the President of the United States for the next four years?

Many questions and speculations have been made about both of the candidates, and there are a lot of mixed opinions out there, and a lot of anger being spread around. I'm pretty confident, however, that here on FG we can all be respectful and logical about our opinions, and be fair in any arguments that might occur.

So, if you're voting this year or not (no matter what country you're from), let me know who you would vote for, or wouldn't, and why.
(GIF not made by me)
Don't Blink.
Team Holly!

partyonsoccerfan
Orion's Misfortune

Re: Obama or Romney?

Post by partyonsoccerfan » Mon 5th Nov 2012

Well, you already know this Liz, but Obama all the way. I don't know much about politics, so I can't really defend Obama that way. However, he is a cool dude. And by cool dude I mean he isn't against gay rights, and that's honestly all I care about. Romney, is not a very cool dude. Maybe he would be a good leader, but I don't want to live in a country where two people in love can't get married.
Take a look at me 'cause I could not care at all

Posf's quote of the week!
“No one should be in pain. Everyone should love themselves. Like I love you all.”
~Gerard Way

Part of the FG it Gets Better Project

bentj96
LEP Recruit

Post by bentj96 » Tue 6th Nov 2012

Honestly, I don't know much about American politics, or politics in general, for that matter, but I've gained sufficient knowledge to make a judgement, I think. The thing is, Obama and Romney are two different types of leaders.

I have a natural bias towards Obama, because he seems more like a people-pleaser and he is easier to like. People often attack Romney for the things he says, rather than Obama. Mostly, I see this in attack ads, or satires about women's rights (especially abortion). Also, he's likes to tease Romney, which I (and I think others) find funny. I recall one line about constantly checking pensions... Anyway, he supports gay rights, which I definitely like. I have quite a few friends who could face issues!

That said, I would seriously consider Romney as a choice. The US as a whole is in need of somebody to kick the economy back into a effective, working state, and to pay off the national debt. 10 trillion is a ridiculous amount to pay off for any country, no matter how powerful its economy is. He is a business man, and that might just be what the US needs.

I've heard that Romney would throw the US back decades in terms of liberty. I believe that refers to women's rights, gay rights, and economical policies, but I can't be sure. Some of the things he says would point that way, however.

Also, I would add that the above things, women's rights/rights definitely have a place when deciding a leader, but perhaps not the deciding factor? Despite having two people who are close to me, who are bisexual, I really do have consider the other factors. A lack of a marriage might not be as serious as a country suffering severe economical issues, which may become a reality.

Beyond that, I can't say much else. I definitely like Obama more, but Romney might be hugely more effective at running a country. Natural bias is often hard to escape.
I'm a crazy Whovian, watch out!

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Wed 7th Nov 2012

Personally I didn't like either Obama or Romney. I would have been happier if there was a third candidate. (Though maybe I would have not liked that third candidate either).
I have very in-between views when it comes to Obama and Romney and here are some of my reasons for not liking either of them, though I don't follow politics very closely so some of these may be inaccurate, these are what I have heard.
Now, I know some of these are issues that are very singular in a very big picture, but I have very strongly held morals and so all of these things are things I stand strongly on, which is my reason for my personal opinion in not liking either one.
The following are only a few examples on the things I don't like, but I'd rather not make this post a huge wall of text and it's 11:10 PM anyways, so x'D

Obamacare only provides mammograms every 5 years. My mom's OB/GYN said that once women reach a certain age--my mom doesn't remember the exact age, she said it was 40 something though--they should get a mammogram done every year, because breast cancer can come on so suddenly, rapidly and aggressively that if you even wait a year it may be too late to treat it. What would 5 years do then? If you waited 5 years to get a mammogram after developing breast cancer you could be on your deathbed by the time you found out. Let's also not forget that Obama said on national TV that Planned Parenthood provides mammograms.
No Mr. President, We Do Not Provide Mammograms
Obamacare also supports free abortion (I'm not sure on the exact details and what all you need for it to be free, though). I feel like something like that should not come 100% free to anybody except in very, very special circumstances.
Obama supports gay marriage, which I like.

On the other hand, Romney wants to completely make abortion illegal, which I also do not agree with. I, personally and morally, do not believe that abortion is right, but the thing is that women are going to get abortions whether or not it's legal, and the stem cells from abortions are used for a certain kind of cancer research, if I'm not mistaken. If women are going to get abortions anyways, I feel like they should have the option open. It shouldn't be illegal, but it shouldn't be free (unless in very special circumstances) either. If women are going to act on it anyways, which they will, they might as well pay (not an extortionate amount of money, but still pay), go to a safe and clean clinic, where the stem cells can be used for cancer research. Rather than have all the cells go to waste and do it in a backstreet alleyway where one is just begging to get seriously hurt or die. Therefore, I do not agree with Romney or Obama on this issue.
Romney also wants make gay marriage 100% illegal, not even allow them to have some kind of legal agreement, which is also something I do not agree with.
As bentj96 stated above, Romney is a businessman and would be better at getting America out of debt, which I like.

I guess you could say my views are liberal humanitarian, which doesn't quite fit with either Obama or Romney's viewpoints.
If there had been a third candidate that was more in between on the majority of their views, and I could have voted, I likely would have voted for a third candidate. I like a few things about both of them, but less than a handful for each and I dislike all of their big views and everything that would change anything, which means I wouldn't vote for either of them.
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Sun 11th Nov 2012

Johnson or Romney. Johnson is libertarian, and during this election just ran the most successful libertarian platform in history, and it is estimated that the party might make 5 percent on the national ballot in 2016. This is VERY significant.

But speaking strictly of Romney and Obama, Romney is the better choice hands down.

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Sun 11th Nov 2012

^
Do you have any reasons to explain why he was the better choice?
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Tue 13th Nov 2012

^Probably about twenty differnet reasons that conflict with each other.

I'm happy Obama won; Ignoring all of the issues and stuff (He had very bad plans) it just felt like it was really difficult to have Romney say something that made sense and stick to it. Obama was willing to take responsibility for what he said, but he rarely said anything wrong. Or at least it seems that way because he took criticism like a man and a leader should: Used it as advice to get better. Romney just seemed like it wasn't someone who would be your friend or neighbor if he wasn't president. (And that's not counting the Issues)

Also, because it's true: Horses and Bayonnets.
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Tue 13th Nov 2012

Romney. Obama. I really can never decide. XD Romney would stop things like the electric chair and allowing guns in America, whereas Obama all for it. Well, that's the stereotype anyway. XD Also, Obama says all these things about equality and gay rights. But then they actually NEVER happen. I think Romney would be more get-it-done than Obama. But then, it doesn't really bother me because I'm on the other side of the ocean from America. XD

Battery
Ringbearer

Post by Battery » Tue 13th Nov 2012

^ Well actually it's stereotypically the Republican party who is pro-guns and pro-death penalty, which would be Romney, and then Obama would be for controlling/eliminating those things if he were a stereotypical Democrat. :wink: And in fairness I don't think there's much the president can do about gay rights. I wish there was, but anything he does would have to be passed through Congress, and getting anything through there with the level of partisan squabbling that goes on there is really difficult as things stand... so right now I think it's a state-based thing, if I'm not mistaken. And I had initially agreed about Romney being more proactive than Obama, but again when you look at Congress there's only so much the president can do no matter who he is when Congress is so horrible. :?

@Ash: I actually agree with a lot of that XD Romney has gone back on a lot of the things he's done and said and supported in the past to an almost ridiculous point... that's kind of true of Obama too, but not as drastically, I think. I actually might have supported Romney back when he was more moderate and hadn't yet gone "woah, I'm running for president? Time to install Standard Conservative Platform!"

Although I am not happy with Obama for NDAA
Not happy at all
online more often than you probably assume
tumblr & ao3

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Thu 13th Dec 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:^
I go MIA for months at a time, so pardon the fact that my responses aren't exactly timely.

To whom where you referring? Did you want me to justify why Romney is the better choice, or Johnson, or both?

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Thu 13th Dec 2012

The redeem3r wrote:
Bang Your Drum wrote:^
I go MIA for months at a time, so pardon the fact that my responses aren't exactly timely.

To whom where you referring? Did you want me to justify why Romney is the better choice, or Johnson, or both?
Well it's simply irrelevant now.. But yeah both.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Wed 19th Dec 2012

I know this may be irrelevant, but I just wanted to say that the most retweeted tweet of 2012 (so far I guess ;3) is
Four more years
by Barack Obama. So, I think he has got some support with him.

firebat12
Troll

Post by firebat12 » Tue 8th Jan 2013

since obama won we can guess he was th better choice
"logic it works almost never"
team artemis is totally wicked: because like artremis i'm a boy genius

I porkchop minecraft

If sanity were curency i wouldn't just be broke, i'd have more debt then america

"War. War never changes.”
— Narrator (Fallout 3)

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. -William Shakespeare

Im a brony

Click the eggs or sick the ponies on u
ImageImageImageImageImage

Bang Your Drum
serial addict

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 9th Jan 2013

Quite so.