Marriage

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
User avatar
Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed 4th Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Re: Marriage

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
world is quiet here wrote:The Bible's fictional.
so you don't believe in the Bible??? you just said that the Bible is not true..in a library it would go in the fictional section, along with the books about elves and magic? you don't believe that Jesus came and will come again?
I would agree with that.

Who agrees with me when I say that we should allow people to do what they want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. Gay-marriage doesn't hurt anyone, and it helps two. However, lots of people believe the word of a book written by a dillusional a couple centuries ago, but those people have not specified in any way why there shouldn't be same-sex marriage, or living together before they're married. There's no reason to stop it. If god didn't want people violating the laws of religon he would stop them, guess we know that he's either smart, unlike the ghost writer, or he's not real.

I totally support all of these things addressed by this topic. Everyone included makes people happier and doesn't hurt a fly.
Image
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Ash Kelp wrote: There's no reason to stop it. If god didn't want people violating the laws of religon he would stop them, guess we know that he's either smart, unlike the ghost writer, or he's not real.
1. God gave us the power of choice, either to do right or wrong. we have to earn the riches of heaven

2. there are hundreds of witnesses who saw Jesus reserect people from the dead, heal the sick by putting his hands on them, curing the blind..what more proof do you need?????
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

User avatar
Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed 4th Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Re: Marriage

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
Ash Kelp wrote: There's no reason to stop it. If god didn't want people violating the laws of religon he would stop them, guess we know that he's either smart, unlike the ghost writer, or he's not real.
1. God gave us the power of choice, either to do right or wrong. we have to earn the riches of heaven

2. there are hundreds of witnesses who saw Jesus reserect people from the dead, heal the sick by putting his hands on them, curing the blind..what more proof do you need?????
If he gave them the choice to do right or wrong, why does he punish the wrong?

I'm still believing thousands of scienctists over corrupt people would wanted the fame of being able to say that they saw Jesus. Has anyone ever gotten a picture?

Also, If someone wants to do something that wouldn't hurt anyone, and there's a law against it, is the law a good one?
Last edited by Ash Kelp on Fri 28th Sep 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Image
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Ash Kelp wrote:
AngelMoon wrote:
Ash Kelp wrote: There's no reason to stop it. If god didn't want people violating the laws of religon he would stop them, guess we know that he's either smart, unlike the ghost writer, or he's not real.
1. God gave us the power of choice, either to do right or wrong. we have to earn the riches of heaven

2. there are hundreds of witnesses who saw Jesus reserect people from the dead, heal the sick by putting his hands on them, curing the blind..what more proof do you need?????
If he gave them the choice to do right or wrong, why does he punish the wrong?

I'm still believing thousands of scienctists over corrupt people would wanted the fame of being able to say that they saw Jesus. Has anyone ever gotten a picture?

I totally believe that there are people who say they saw Jesus who just want the glory...and then there are the people who claim they ARE Jesus.....seriously people. but there is evidence of what he looked like (paintings/letters/etc)


obviously, have you ever been punished for doing something you weren't supposed to? cheat on a test, steal something...you were giving the choice but you chose the wrong one thus being punished. he gave you the choice to chose between right and wrong.
Last edited by AngelMoon on Fri 28th Sep 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Marriage

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
Bang Your Drum wrote:So do you have any other soruces that say it's wrong people of the same sex to get married? Or saying hat people shouldn'yt move in together before marriage.
If not can you direct me to the part of the bible that syas as such?

Lev 20:13 says: If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
OMFG. That is f***ing terrible. Breaking the commandment saying not to murder one. So, when Jesus comes back all homosexuals will be killed. That's make it more god damn stupid.
Ash Kelp wrote:
AngelMoon wrote:
Ash Kelp wrote: There's no reason to stop it. If god didn't want people violating the laws of religon he would stop them, guess we know that he's either smart, unlike the ghost writer, or he's not real.
1. God gave us the power of choice, either to do right or wrong. we have to earn the riches of heaven

2. there are hundreds of witnesses who saw Jesus reserect people from the dead, heal the sick by putting his hands on them, curing the blind..what more proof do you need?????
If he gave them the choice to do right or wrong, why does he punish the wrong?

I'm still believing thousands of scienctists over corrupt people would wanted the fame of being able to say that they saw Jesus. Has anyone ever gotten a picture?
A witness is nothing - where's the evidence of someone saying something?

User avatar
Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed 4th Jan 2012
Gender: Male
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Re: Marriage

Post by Ash Kelp » Fri 28th Sep 2012

I agree wicky, a witness is not to be believed over proven fact.

Alright, this is the last thing I'm gonna say for a little while:

Who defines those choices? And who gets hurt by those things? Who defines the choices as right or wrong? There's no reason why you should be defining it as wrong, but you do, because certain chistrens and catholics feel that they have power, and they get corrupt and abuse that power. Because then it makes them happy that they have power over other people. No one should have power over anyone.
Image
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Ash Kelp wrote:I agree wicky, a witness is not to be believe over proven fact..........Who defines those choices? And who gets hurt by those things? Who defines the choices as right or wrong? .
a whole town as a witness isn't enough for you???

God says what's right and whets wrong. its like your mom saying don't watch TV, and then you go and watch something. you disobeyed your mother who says not to.


What DO you believe in, Brian/Ash? You are disagreeing with everything I have to say, so lets hear everything you have to say.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Marriage

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
Ash Kelp wrote:I agree wicky, a witness is not to be believe over proven fact..........Who defines those choices? And who gets hurt by those things? Who defines the choices as right or wrong? .
a whole town as a witness isn't enough for you???

God says what's right and whets wrong. its like your mom saying don't watch TV, and then you go and watch something. you disobeyed your mother who says not to.


What DO you believe in, Brian/Ash? You are disagreeing with everything I have to say, so lets hear everything you have to say.
I believe in unicorns, candy and magic! :D
Just joking. Well, I'm originally Catholic. Cuz I'm Irish. But, I don't like believe in it... Why should I believe in a book which kills homosexuals? Josie, not everyone has to be a Christian. They can believe what they want, or not believe anything at all.

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by Bang Your Drum » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
world is quiet here wrote:The Bible's fictional.
so you don't believe in the Bible??? you just said that the Bible is not true..in a library it would go in the fictional section, along with the books about elves and magic? you don't believe that Jesus came and will come again?
Not everyone does. I don't understand how that is so utterly shocking to you. I'm sure you've a least one of my long suffering friends and how about neo pagans? And you do realize there is stuff in the Bible which is completely false, they're called parables... you know like Aesop's fables they're stories which are impossible but tell a lesson.
Their are parts based on historical accounts, and others that aren't.
And what about "loving thy neighbor" that doesn't hat include the nice man down the street from you, just because he loves his husband, does it?


EDIT so many replies while I was posting!

as for that Leviticus passage...lemme tell you picked one of the most quoted/easiest ways of justifying your bigotry....aaaaand like most easy ways to do so it falls flat.
Women (as horrifying it is too think about) were thought up until very recently not to have any sort of sex drive, so they do feel sexual pleasure, nor does a man need consent from a woman.. marital rape in the UNITED STATES was legal until the 1960's!
Men however couldn't forces themselves on another man. Historical context is everything.

And witnesses... you know they've been dead for around 2000 years? And the bible was written quite a bit of time after Jesus' death... And evidence means paintings now... letters? I only know of ONE document that mentions him at all... and that's an executioner's notice.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:And witnesses... you know they've been dead for around 2000 years? And the bible was written quite a bit of time after Jesus' death... And evidence means paintings now... letters? I only know of ONE document that mentions him at all... and that's an executioner's notice.

the Bible is partly made up of letters......
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1558
Joined: Fri 3rd Jun 2011
Gender: Female

Re: Marriage

Post by BoboParadizo » Fri 28th Sep 2012

First of all, I'm a Christian and I believe in that Jesus exists.

Before anyone goes off saying homosexuals should be killed, remember that the Bible said that the punishment for sin is death. Have you lied, even a little? (Yes, Mom, I finished my homework) Stole something, no matter how small, even a piece of candy? Ever wanted something someone else has like maybe your friend's new phone?

Then you've sinned.

Leviticus 20:13 says that homosexuals should be put to death, but do you know what else Leviticus says?

"If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die." (Leviticus 20:10)
"Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed." (Leviticus 20:9)
"Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community." (Leviticus 24:14-16)

Just think about that. ^^

Also, isn't this thread about marriage and whether it's nessesary? XD

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

let me clear things up.....we army going to do the killing, God is. and he will only kill if you don't repent.
yeah....^^ also, I'm not saying that homosexual peopleshoild be the only sinnners to die if they don't repent...
okay, guys. believe what you want to believe. according to someone, I will stop posting.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

BoboParadizo
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1558
Joined: Fri 3rd Jun 2011
Gender: Female

Re: Marriage

Post by BoboParadizo » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Please don't doubletriplepost? <3
AngelMoon wrote:let me clear things up.....we army going to do the killing, God is. and he will only kill if you don't repent.
Yes, but even if you repent, you die anyways according to Leviticus 20:13, Leviticus 20:10, Leviticus 20:9, and Leviticus 24:14-16. That's why I think a few of the laws in there are outdated. If you wanted, though, you could find that passage about homosexuality in Romans and discuss it in the Homosexuality thread. ^^
AngelMoon wrote:okay, guys. believe what you want to believe.
Kay, I will. :3 You can believe whatever you want to believe, too.

User avatar
Battery
Ringbearer
Posts: 7120
Joined: Sun 4th Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Location: The Shire
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by Battery » Sat 29th Sep 2012

Ohhhhkaaay here we go.

So Bobo took the words out of my mouth about Leviticus (+100 respect points) and I'll just add the bit that I believe Leviticus is a part of the old testament, and as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) the new testament was written because the old one was outdated and no longer served the purposes of the religion. I don't recall ever hearing anything about homosexuality in the new testament from anyone.

Second of all, although I will remind everyone that this is not a thread in which to discuss the legitimacy of one religion or the other, the mere existence of more than one religion means that there are people who can or could swear to the validity of each. There are probably just as many people who could testify to the truth of Islam as to that of Christianity. I personally see most religious teachings as metaphors rather than literal truth, but it's important to remember that not everything that is true to you is going to be true to everyone else.

Also, I have a question. Why is it your business what people do or don't do in their personal lives? If they are going to be punished when they die, then they are going to be punished when they die. You don't need to punish them now if you believe they're going to go through hell later. What exactly is being accomplished by denying them rights and dignity in this life? I seem to recall hearing something in the Bible about loving others and not judging.

User avatar
lackingimagination
Gnome
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat 9th Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Location: Municiberg

Re: Marriage

Post by lackingimagination » Sat 29th Sep 2012

Hey guys, this is a thread about marriage but you've turned it into a gay rights debate :P
Let me put my two cents in:
AngelMoon, not everyone believes in God, and not everyone accepts the Bible as concrete truth. If you want to prove the legitimacy of what you say, you should back up your facts. Just IMHO, of course.

Post Reply