Marriage

Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Post Reply
User avatar
lackingimagination
Gnome
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat 9th Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Location: Municiberg

Marriage

Post by lackingimagination » Tue 25th Sep 2012

A century it seemed like the norm was to get married before living together or having kids. Now it's basically a free-for-all kind of thing. It doesn't seem like society in general thinks that marriage is too necessary for living together, having kids etc. I don't have much of an opinion on it, but I thought it was an interesting thing to bring up for discussion. What are your thoughts?

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Tue 25th Sep 2012

I believe that no one should live together/sleep together/have kids before they are married. its not right.neither is men getting married or women getting married.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by Bang Your Drum » Wed 26th Sep 2012

^
What's your reasoning behind that? If it's not right, is it wrong? I'd like to see your sources if that's possible.
Do you know the government (here in the US at least) gives tax breaks to people who are married? The hope is that they'll have kids then and spend more money on them....
In a place with no official state religion it's entirely possible to be married for mutual benefits including loving the other person, God (or Gods) have nothing to do with it. It's your choice who officiates the wedding.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer
Posts: 905
Joined: Mon 19th Sep 2011
Gender: Female
Location: In Camelot, crying my eyes out.
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AFrules12 » Wed 26th Sep 2012

Marrige costs. I know a lot of people who didn't marry straight away because of money. Including my parents. They had been together 19 years when they got married, I was 7, Bri 5. Is anything wrong with that? I've been called a b*stard a lot, but usually by people who's parents got married and then divorced a few years later. Is it better to not get married and stay together or get married and divorce and split the family apart a few years later? I've never met anyone who's had children out of 'wedlock' and seperated later on. My parents had a much better wedding 19 years later, than they would have had earlier because they had more money.

As for same sex marriages, I am Catholic and it is not recognised in the eyes of the Church. But the eyes of the Church are however many 1000's of years old and the Church needs to get in with the times. I don't really have any evidence or anything, but people should be allowed to marry whoever they want, even if they are the same sex. That's just how I feel.
One word: Merlin
Image

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Thu 27th Sep 2012

AFrules12 wrote: But the eyes of the Church are however many 1000's of years old and the Church needs to get in with the times.
so the church (which was established a long time ago) should become modern? by doing that, it would become wrong. Look in the Bible...it says a man and woman, not man and man or woman and woman.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

User avatar
Battery
Ringbearer
Posts: 7120
Joined: Sun 4th Oct 2009
Gender: Female
Location: The Shire
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by Battery » Thu 27th Sep 2012

^ The thing is though, it doesn't really matter whether or not a certain religion says that homosexuality is wrong or not. There's this nifty little thing (in my country, at least) called the separation of church and state that prevents the church from getting into government, and while marriage may be associated with religion, whether or not a union is officially recognized as a marriage is not up to them. No one religion dictates how things should be run. Though I disagree, I respect your views if you don't believe that homosexuality is right, but whether or not something is legal in the eyes of the government by no means depends on the teachings of one religion.

On the original subject, I don't think it's really necessary to be married before having children, but I do think it's probably a wise thing to do. That way you have a very strong bond already with the person who will be helping to raise the kids, and you'll have certain abilities as a married couple that you wouldn't otherwise. But I definitely think that it depends on the couple and how they feel and what they want, and like Affy said, what they can afford. As for living together, I actually kind of think it's better to live together before marriage - otherwise you mind marry someone and find out afterwards that the two of you can't stand being around each other all day every day XP But again I do think it all depends on the couple.

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by Bang Your Drum » Thu 27th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
AFrules12 wrote: But the eyes of the Church are however many 1000's of years old and the Church needs to get in with the times.
so the church (which was established a long time ago) should become modern? by doing that, it would become wrong. Look in the Bible...it says a man and woman, not man and man or woman and woman.
Would? So saying slavery is wrong is negative? Is not taking bribes and telling people to give the church money to get into heaven, a step in the wrong direction? Everything changes,hopefully for the best. And last time I heard the Pope rides in a car.
And if you've read the debate forum rules (which I'd like to assume you have) you would know that you can't just use the bible to cite something...
And what AA said is 100 percent true. In the USA there is no state religion meaning relgious texts don't make the laws.
You can have a friend officiate the wedding... Or a priest or a judge.
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Thu 27th Sep 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:And if you've read the debate forum rules (which I'd like to assume you have) you would know that you can't just use the bible to cite something...
oop-sorry about that :/. I follow the Bible, so when someone says to site my sources on something to do with my religion, its usually the Bible.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

User avatar
Bang Your Drum
serial addict
Posts: 5913
Joined: Tue 1st May 2007
Location: Penn's Forrest
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by Bang Your Drum » Thu 27th Sep 2012

So do you have any other soruces that say it's wrong people of the same sex to get married? Or saying hat people shouldn'yt move in together before marriage.
If not can you direct me to the part of the bible that syas as such?
Moses Seixas wrote:give bigotry no sanction

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Marriage

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
AFrules12 wrote: But the eyes of the Church are however many 1000's of years old and the Church needs to get in with the times.
so the church (which was established a long time ago) should become modern? by doing that, it would become wrong. Look in the Bible...it says a man and woman, not man and man or woman and woman.
HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT MODERN. It was before humankind in the animal world. There were homosexuals when the bible was written, I can assure you.

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:If not can you direct me to the part of the bible that syas as such?
I will as soon as possible...and Brian, even if homosexuality was before the Bible, what makes it right?
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Marriage

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
Bang Your Drum wrote:If not can you direct me to the part of the bible that syas as such?
I will as soon as possible...and Brian, even if homosexuality was before the Bible, what makes it right?

Okay so here's a story from a to zeee. DO you think it's wrong if someone's different? ACT's different? LOOKS different? Different RELIGION? Different SEXUALITY? Well, I believe you fail to believe the last one. Well that's terrrible. YOU SHOULD NOT believe this. The Bible's fictional. YOU CAN'T take ALL of it seriously. REALLY. You should not believe that homosexuality is wrong. That is homophobic. WILL YOU ACCEPT PEOPLE HOW THEY ARE, EVEN IF THEY'RE DIFFERENT IN ANYWAY?

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

world is quiet here wrote:The Bible's fictional.
so you don't believe in the Bible??? you just said that the Bible is not true..in a library it would go in the fictional section, along with the books about elves and magic? you don't believe that Jesus came and will come again?
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius
Posts: 1097
Joined: Tue 7th Feb 2012
Gender: Male

Re: Marriage

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 28th Sep 2012

AngelMoon wrote:
world is quiet here wrote:The Bible's fictional.
so you don't believe in the Bible??? you just said that the Bible is not true..in a library it would go in the fictional section, along with the books about elves and magic? you don't believe that Jesus came and will come again?
Not everyone believes in the Bible. You can if you want. Now can you answer all this:
world is quiet here wrote:
AngelMoon wrote:
I will as soon as possible...and Brian, even if homosexuality was before the Bible, what makes it right?

Okay so here's a story from a to zeee. DO you think it's wrong if someone's different? ACT's different? LOOKS different? Different RELIGION? Different SEXUALITY? Well, I believe you fail to believe the last one. Well that's terrrible. YOU SHOULD NOT believe this. The Bible's fictional. YOU CAN'T take ALL of it seriously. REALLY. You should not believe that homosexuality is wrong. That is homophobic. WILL YOU ACCEPT PEOPLE HOW THEY ARE, EVEN IF THEY'RE DIFFERENT IN ANYWAY?

User avatar
AngelMoon
Gnome
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 12th Jul 2012
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Marriage

Post by AngelMoon » Fri 28th Sep 2012

Bang Your Drum wrote:So do you have any other soruces that say it's wrong people of the same sex to get married? Or saying hat people shouldn'yt move in together before marriage.
If not can you direct me to the part of the bible that syas as such?

Lev 20:13 says: If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.
Image

amazing signature, sara!! thanks! <3

Penguins cannot fly.
I cannot fly.
Therefore, I am a penguin.


When man kills lions, its called game. When lions kill man, its called ferocity.

A friend is a person who knowes all about you, and still loves you ~Elbert Hubberd~

Post Reply