Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Re: 2012

Post by The redeem3r » Tue 16th Aug 2011

I've seen a lot of the idea that the gravity on our planet will shift due to some alignment in the universe. It's wrong. Gravity is the force that attracts a body to the center of the Earth. Gravity is relative to SIZE. Everything has some form of gravitational pull, from you and me, to an ant. The Earth is no exception, it's size is what keeps it at a constant 1G. An alignment could not mess that up. The only way gravity will shift is if an object the size of the Earth (or bigger) came and just sat within 500,000 miles of our planet, or if the Earth suddenly grew twice it's size (or more. In which case it would be 2G or more, relative to the size it suddenly grew.) or Shrunk. (in which case gravity would weaken)

That's impossible, because for an object that we have not seen coming towards us to accelerate fast enough to get here in a year, It would need a large amount of energy stored up, and it would need to somehow dissipate that energy. Usually (meteorites) crash into something and the energy is released as an explosion of sorts. If it just stopped, I don't know what would happen. (I'm highly interested in this type of thing, but the classes relevant to it are new to me. I start taking them tomorrow. The day after this is posted)

Also, it's impossible for the Earth to just expand, as our planet is not near dense enough (from what we know) to become big enough to make a significant difference, even if it expanded to as much as possible.

So. We have singled 1 thing out ---- We will NOT be affected by gravity shifts.

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Tue 16th Aug 2011

Anything to say about pole shifts?

I watched a documentary on it, and at the very end... they finally explained that it wouldn't happen as quickly... but I believe the people at Nat Geo are idiots. At least, their documentaries are poorly researched and mostly based on speculation.

So, is there any scientific evidence leaning towards that scenario?

I think not, but... *shrugs*
i write because you exist.

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief

Post by The redeem3r » Tue 16th Aug 2011

Sadly to tell you, the pole shifts will happen next year. It will be a complete reversal.

Good news - It's not the earth's poles. It's the sun's. It happens once every 12-13 years, and the last time it happened was in 2001. Nothing serious, just widely spread misinformation

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Tue 16th Aug 2011

Ah, that honestly makes sense.

Are there any end of the world theories we haven't covered yet, people?

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief

Post by The redeem3r » Wed 17th Aug 2011

I think it's very much worth mentioning that it's very possible that while we won't be harmed or endangered as a species, it is possible that our satellite systems are in harms way. If a solar flare is big enough, we could be without internet, satellite TV, GPS, etc. for a few years.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Wed 17th Aug 2011

Now THAT is my concept of the world truly ending.

How would the solar flares affect the satellite, exactly?

That could be disastrous.... online communications, businesses, the very way we live...

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief

Post by The redeem3r » Wed 17th Aug 2011

Signals that Satellite send to us are a form of wave. Light is also a form of wave. Now, a solar flare would send intense radioactivity to our planet. This happens often, but our magnetic field protects us, and they are usually never intense enough to hurt a Satellite, except for temporary damage (Like sometimes, GPS units stop working for a day, but work just fine the next). Now, at the end of a solar cycle, when the solar flares are most intensive, (and I do mean intensive.) they are strong enough to completely FRY the circuitry.

For example, if you took a cellphone to the site of Chernobyl the day after the accident occurred, it's likely that your cellphone would mess up, and likely never work again.

That same concept applies here. However, there is a way around this. Newer Satellite are being designed to be remotely shut off, so that they can't be fried. That way they can simply be turned on after the solar flare has passed. If you turned your phone off before entering Chernobyl, it would work just as well when you leave.

It's like pouring water on a circuit. If the circuit is on, it will mess up. If it is off, however, nothing will happen, and when it dries, it'll work just like new.

So if we are prepared for this adequately, our lives will just remain normal. Except for a few commodities. IT really depends on which companies want to invest in a new Satellite

TungstenMessah
Troll

Post by TungstenMessah » Tue 23rd Aug 2011

No, gravity is not related to SIZE, it's related to mass, or how much matter is in an object.

I got too lazy to read the rest of the satellite thing.
ok.

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief

Post by The redeem3r » Tue 23rd Aug 2011

TungstenMessah wrote:No, gravity is not related to SIZE, it's related to mass, or how much matter is in an object.

I got too lazy to read the rest of the satellite thing.

Size refers to the mass and density. Mass is basically the amount of inertia an object has. The denser the object, the more inertia a smaller object can have.

So, in a powerful sense, gravity is in fact related to size.

Keep in mind that size does not mean bigger mass.

(inertia, for those of you who don't know, is the ability of an object to resist movement. Also, I mention that size refers to mass and density, as that is what astronomers usually mean when they use the word 'size'. They mean mass and/or density)

Spudtron98
Dwarf Miner

Post by Spudtron98 » Sun 15th Jan 2012

Well, the Mayans divided their calendar into a series of eras, each one (except for this one) having Gods and such in them. These are most probably stylised versions of their own history. And each one ended in a specific way. For example, in one a God burnt himself. This may well be a version of their discovery of fire.
So, it says that 2012 will be the end of this era, so maybe instead of the world ending, which is the most derpish thing I've ever heard, maybe we make a massive technological breakthrough. Or we discover ancient alien technology which allows us to travel between the stars. Or aliens will come. Or even better, the Fairies get out of the ground and decide to live peacefully with us. Or, most likely by far, nothing will happen at all.

Done and dusted.
"Did you think that I would FORGET YOU?!"

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sun 22nd Jan 2012

I think the Mayans realised that there was no point in making calenders for 2000+ years into the future as they would definatly not use them and they probably also realised their empire would not exist. Seriously would you make a calender you would never use?

I also think the world will end because the sun will run out of hydrogen and will have to expand and will cover the planets made of rock - Mercury to Mars and then retract. That will happen when the sun starts to die and we have predicted that it is half way through its lifetime. So imagine how long the Earth has been around. Then double it. A long time and we will be long, long dead. Then the sun will carry on until it runs out of hydrogen again and it will consume even more planets. Or at least that what my science teacher told us.
I can't wait to see what happens.
One word: Merlin

Ash Kelp
Centaur Genius
Location: In the great and awesome Cascadia, where the norm is rain, and coffee.

Post by Ash Kelp » Sat 28th Jan 2012

They probably thought that it was so far away we didn't have that much of a chance of surviving.

Why is there all this doomsday hype anyway?

Y2K
2012 (movie)
It's like Trouble, but with many a variation.

world is quiet here
Centaur Genius

Post by world is quiet here » Fri 2nd Mar 2012

I think the Aztecs, Mayans and Incas all believed the world was going to end because it was the end of the calander but that just means that they couldn't be bothered to make anymore calanders. Thats how I see it anyway,also because they made a movie out of it I think it not true. :shock:

Skyswallow
LEPrecon Officer

Post by Skyswallow » Sat 26th May 2012

If the world ends whenever a calendar goes out of date, there's been thousands of world-endings, every december 31. :D :lol: :) Who says the Mayan one is special???
Gallifrey - a Doctor Who fanfiction
Hunting the Disappeared - a Fowlock fanfiction

Stars, in your multitudes - scarce to be counted, filling the darkness with order and light! You are the sentinels, silent and sure - keeping watch in the night, keeping watch in the night.

cepele retro petdamìnpasétócó - 'at some point, past!you gets a plant-like thing (that we think is from the future)'

This user will debate you about how important Jean Valjean is (acceptable answer: very), and the distinction between 'antagonist' and 'villain' and how the terms apply to Javert and the Thenardiers.

AFrules12
LEPrecon Officer

Post by AFrules12 » Sat 8th Dec 2012

They believed that the world would end, I think, I've never studied the Mayans in detail.
Well, if it was going to be a meteor or something, we would be able to see it by now, so it won't be that. But seriously, how many times have people said the world's going to end? And how many times has it ended?
All I know is that I hope it doesn't end, we'll never find out the ending of Merlin

And Brian, that was plagiarism there.
One word: Merlin