Debates of a more controversial nature, and discussions on the latest world events. Give your opinions, but no flaming!
Ohansahyosheli
Dwarf Thief

Re: 2012

Post by Ohansahyosheli » Tue 8th Mar 2011

IwishIwasafaerie wrote:Explain. I kinda get what you're saying.
Well...I'm strange in the way that I enjoy, sort of revel, in fear. And I'm not afraid of death--it's sort of an obsession of mine. I'd love to die. But at the same time, I'm terrified, and I don't know why. It's a psychological thing.

As for Betelgeuse...I found many results for the whole 'two suns' thing. That's one of them:

http://m.google.com/gwt/x?site=universa ... d-sun.html
[✯♫♪Prepare yourself to meet] [The girl who cannot sleep] [Dividing every question till the questions are complete] [Every twisted tongue] [She studies everyone] [She won't leave any stone unturned] [The night is oh so young♪♫✯]

Felina
LEP Commander
Location: I fell off a pier once. The Kirkwall harbour is really deep.

Post by Felina » Sat 25th Jun 2011

Yeah that thing with two suns is awesome.

And from the day I borned to now, the Earth dissapeared at least 10 times. I doubt that it can do it again.
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

♫☂♫ ~Let's go dancing and singing in the rain~ ♫☂♫
Image Image

sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows... Magic
I'm not hiding anything :p except SECRETS...
Shh... SECRET makes a woman, woman

I never understood a reason WHY to be serious??? if weirdness is awesome :D

*~¤~* *-°♣° × °♠° × °♥° × °°-* *~¤~*

HollyShort9
Fangathering Fever patient

Post by HollyShort9 » Thu 7th Jul 2011

Well, I think SOMETHING is going to happen in 2012.
There's a lot of weird star stuff going on on December 21st, 2012--the sun going into the center of the Milky Way and all. That's probably going to screw up our gravity. I don't necessarily think that the world will explode, but I think at least something small is going to happen.
I'm still going to tell everybody I care for that I love them on December 20th, 2012 though. Just in case. XD
we're all stories in the end. just make it a good one, eh? because it was, you know. it was the best.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Fri 8th Jul 2011

*laughs* Ooooooh! We're all going to die! Guys, it didn't happen the first time someone predicted it, and it didn't happen the millionth time someone predicted it. Predicting when the world will end is like predicting the spontaneous combustion of a platter of socks. We don't know when it could happen! In my religion, we believe that God has the power to end things whenever he feels like it. *laughs* I think the world might explode in five billion years....when our sun explodes...that's the only scientific clue to the end of the world. And we might as well not worry about it....we won't be alive anyway. *shrugs* NOBODY SELL THEIR HOUSES, STOCK, PETS, OR GIVE MONEY AWAY! You'll be a hobo by the end of the month, I guarantee it.
i write because you exist.

Felina
LEP Commander

Post by Felina » Mon 11th Jul 2011

FowlStar wrote: (...) I think the world might explode in five billion years....when our sun explodes... (...)
Umm... To be honest, Sun will first become a red giant and eat Mercury (U know. The planet which is closest to the Sun) and Venus (the closest planet after Mercury) and than will Earth become too hot and Titan (Saturn's satellite) will become warm enough for life, and than Sun will explode and become a white dwarf and shine until it spends all it's energy and become cold as the rest of the Universe (about -211°C)

Thank you for listening my convection.

(God, I really am smart...)
(thx for correcting my spelling, Teo)
I emit a chaos field which distorts time and space and creates chaos everywhere around me. That's why my room is always a mess. Image

Image Image

Abiogenesis
LEP Recruit
Location: York - England - United Kingdom - Europe - Earth - Solar Sytem - Perseus Arm - Milky Way Galaxy - Lo

Post by Abiogenesis » Sun 24th Jul 2011

HollyShort9 wrote:Well, I think SOMETHING is going to happen in 2012.
There's a lot of weird star stuff going on on December 21st, 2012--the sun going into the center of the Milky Way and all. That's probably going to screw up our gravity. I don't necessarily think that the world will explode, but I think at least something small is going to happen.
I'm still going to tell everybody I care for that I love them on December 20th, 2012 though. Just in case. XD
The Sun never goes into the centre of the Galaxy, I'd be worried if it did as it even then it would probably have little direct effect for aeons
"Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open."
-Thomas R. Dewar
"Camouflage is the colour of fear... I have no need to hide from my foes... I have no fear of death. My colours I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live - I am proud to die".
-The Space Marines
"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
-Winston Churchill
"Leeeeeeroy Jenkins"
- Aragorn at the Black Gates

Felina
LEP Commander

Post by Felina » Sun 31st Jul 2011

^Umm... If I may notice, in the centre of out galaxy is a really BIG black hole. I mean, all black holes are big, but this one is BIG. And whole galaxy is turning around that BIG black hole, just like our planets around the Sun, and our planets don't fall in the Sun just like that, they need MUCH energy to take them off their current orbit (spelling). So, there's NO way that something can move the Sun to that BIG black hole.

(Reasons:
1) Sun is big. and heavy
2) I don't even want to think how much energy will you spend if you try to move the Sun
3) everything what comes too close to it, Sun melts and eats.)

Ok?

Image Image

The redeem3r
Dwarf Thief
Location: On a pale blue dot, traveling wherever the Universe takes me

Post by The redeem3r » Sat 13th Aug 2011

Abiogenesis wrote:I doubt anyone can predict supernovae down to a year, there are multiple stars predicted to go supernova extremely soon - however extremely soon is anywhere within the next 1,000,000 years. Eta Carinae is a major candidate and seeing as it is a huge star it will produce a huge super or even hypernova and its only 8000 light years away.

Considering this is a big star, it's barely thought to be of any threat to Earth. Supernovae are hugely powerful events, however they are generally quite far away when they happen, all radiation obeys the inverse square law and the distance is dazzlingly huge. The only way in which we would be anywhere near at risk would be if some of the concentrated gamma ray bursts that are emitted as it forms a black hole are aligned to hit the Earth, even then they wouldn't be particularly devastating. Extremely close, extremely powerful supernovae have been thought to lead to one extinction event in the Earths past however it was a relatively small extinction event, something like a Methane-Clathrate disaster is far more dangerous.

Additionally although Supernovae are bright there is simply no way they are going to outshine the sun, lets say Eta Carinae blew up today, it would be visible during the day and probably as bright as a full moon at night - if not a little brighter. However it certainly wouldn't be as bright as the Sun and it wouldn't last very long at all, that's the point behind supernovae, they are extremely energetic events and as a result extremely short lived - over in a few seconds. The light we see is mainly from surrounding gas getting excited by the higher energy photons created in the explosion.

Anyway the whole 2012 thing is total bull, the only reason the calendar ends in 2012 is because there are no Mayans left to extend it, if they were still around they'd just create a new calendar. This whole scare is like people rioting when the calendar in their kitchen runs out of days, because obviously if your calendar stops then time stops too ಠ_ಠ
Supernovae are powerful events, and the sun you speak of can or cannot be incredibly dangerous to earth. There isn't really any reliable method to test a suns density from such a vast distance. If that sun were 10 times as dense as our sun(just a random figure) and it exploded into a supernovae, the blast of radiation would be preposterously endangering to our planet. A hyper novae is an even worse scenario.

It's very true that the sun cannot be outshined by anything near us. For years to come (in terms of hundreds of millions) the sun WILL be the dominant entity of our sky.

Also, there are many Mayans still alive today. Mayans never died out, I don't know where an idea like that would come from. Watch the news, and you'll hear stories about how the modern Mayans THEMSELVES are saying 2012 won't happen. And I don't mean Mayans is the idea of people that adopted the Mayan culture; I mean Mayans that actually are descendants of the ancient Mayans.

HollyShort9 wrote:Well, I think SOMETHING is going to happen in 2012.
We are LIGHTYEARS away from the center of the galaxy. Even if we went at the speed of light, our sun couldn't get to the center for 28,000 years. And as everything natural moves in a vacuum (therefore, theoretically, cannot go faster than light), there is no hope of us getting to the center of our galaxy. Even if by some magical act of nature, we teleported there, there is no proof that anything at all is there. The common theory that is widely distributed is that there is a black hole there. What the media and any other source always fail to leave out is that the validity of that theory is only around 0.6 percent. That's how sure we are that there is a black hole at the center of our galaxy.
Kitty wrote:
FowlStar wrote: (...) I think the world might explode in five billion years....when our sun explodes... (...)
Umm... To be honest, Sun will first become a red giant and eat Mercury (U know. The planet which is closest to the Sun) and Venus (the closest planet after Mercury) and than will Earth become too hot and Titan (Saturn's satellite) will become warm enough for life, and than Sun will explode and become a white dwarf and shine until it spends all it's energy and become cold as the rest of the Universe (about -211°C)

Thank you for listening my convection.

(God, I really am smart...)
(thx for correcting my spelling, Teo)
Our sun won't explode in 5 billion years, it will merely deplete it's energy, and IMPLODE on itself. Our sun is too small to actually turn into a black hole, so it will turn supernovae, engulf every planet up until mars (including Earth. However, water will have evaporated YEARS before this happens.) and then shrink down into a white dwarf start. Titan (Saturn's planet-like moon) will likely have artificially been warmed up enough to hospitable levels before anything like this happens. The process of terraforming is our form of interstellar colonization. Terraforming is basically changing the landscape of our planet to meet the requirements for life. This includes releasing large amount of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere to warm it up, and then planting trees and such to allow oxygen to spread. The process takes a century at least, however. I believe that within the next 1,000 years, Titan, amongst other planets such as Venus and Mars, will have been terraformed.

So, back to my original point. When the sun DOES expand, human activity will have Titan succumb to the same dread Earth went through, and any liquid at all will be evaporated.

Kitty wrote:^Umm... If I may notice, in the centre of out galaxy is a really BIG black hole. I mean, all black holes are big, but this one is BIG. And whole galaxy is turning around that BIG black hole, just like our planets around the Sun, and our planets don't fall in the Sun just like that, they need MUCH energy to take them off their current orbit (spelling). So, there's NO way that something can move the Sun to that BIG black hole.

(Reasons:
1) Sun is big. and heavy
2) I don't even want to think how much energy will you spend if you try to move the Sun
3) everything what comes too close to it, Sun melts and eats.)

Ok?

Basically what you said here. The Earth alone weighs 4.6 quintillion tons, and the Sun ways over a MILLION times more. We couldn't even dream of altering the suns gravitational path with current technology, and still couldn't dream about it in 1,000 years.

Edit: I re-read that. We don't know that their is a black hole at the center of our galaxy. It's a theory, and one that isn't always properly conveyed by the media, etc. The theory is only about 0.65 determined. That's how much of a chance that there is a black hole at the center of our galaxy.

And when it comes to black holes, size is a relatively small variable. A black hole the size of the earth could be just as powerful as one as big as one as big as 1,000,000 suns.

Fun fact of the day: The sun gives off more energy in one second, than people have used from the beginning of time.
Last edited by The redeem3r on Sun 14th Aug 2011, edited 2 times in total.

The reasons aliens haven't made contact with us because if a species were to become space-faring, they would have no doubt realized that bickering and warring is primitive. They realize that any interaction with humans would be met with hostility on our parts. Only when we can put aside our differences and tear down our borders will be find what we are looking for.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Sat 13th Aug 2011

2012 is a joke. I'll be armed with my Twitter and a huge smile, not to mention PLENTY of end-of-the-world jokes/links/history. I'm going to have a lot of fun.

TungstenMessah
Troll

Post by TungstenMessah » Sun 14th Aug 2011

Hm. 2012 is NOT a joke. However, I dun believe in that end-of-the-world pile of turd. It has been scientifically proven that the planets, and sun will line up with Saggitarius A*, a super-massive black hole in the centre of the galaxy. At the very most, the large amount of gravity may shift the weather patterns, or magnetic field.
ok.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Sun 14th Aug 2011

TungstenMessah wrote:Hm. 2012 is NOT a joke. However, I dun believe in that end-of-the-world pile of turd. It has been scientifically proven that the planets, and sun will line up with Saggitarius A*, a super-massive black hole in the centre of the galaxy. At the very most, the large amount of gravity may shift the weather patterns, or magnetic field.
Be that as it may, where is the scientific evidence, exactly? Snook, you failed to mention WHEN this is predicted to take place. You haven't given me anything to argue against...

You people do realize that the major reason people predicted 2012 is because the Mayan calendar simply ended? It's the same as predicting the world will end when we have to replace/update our Gregorian calendars...

Explain how your post is related to the credibility of 2010?

TungstenMessah
Troll

Fine. 2010. It had no backing, scientific or anything.

2012, however, has both the scientific AND the Mayan calendar on its side. Even the Mayans correctly predicted that the planets would be lined up towards Sagittarius A*. Numerous scientific studies predict that there will be effects, but probably no world-ending, on Earth. Journals like Time, and Nat Geo have many articles about the powerful gravitational pull on Dec 21, 2012.
ok.

FowlStar
Centaur Genius

Post by FowlStar » Sun 14th Aug 2011

I would disregard any Nat Geo material, as most of their documentaries and articles contain false/speculated facts.

There still is NO solid evidence that the world will end. It's no joke regarding possible world catastrophes... you only provide evidence on that front.

But you do reinforce the fact that the world will not end in 2012, so we're on the same side here.

TungstenMessah
Troll

XD...NOW she notices!
ok.

Amber Root
Council Member

Post by Amber Root » Mon 15th Aug 2011

FowlStar wrote:2012 is a joke. I'll be armed with my Twitter and a huge smile, not to mention PLENTY of end-of-the-world jokes/links/history. I'm going to have a lot of fun.
I agree with Fowlie on that. I think it's just joke that they made up along time ago, so people would have more stress in their lives and stuff. Pluse if the world is going to end it's just going to end there would be no way of stoping it, so just don't worry.
You threw me a lifeline, I'm not throwing away my shot